FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trip Reports (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports-177/)
-   -   TAP Portugal A320 | Lisbon - Geneva (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/1987490-tap-portugal-a320-lisbon-geneva.html)

jwhite9185 Sep 16, 2019 5:50 am

TAP Portugal A320 | Lisbon - Geneva

Following on from the previous part of this trip: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip...n-economy.html

The next sector saw me move on from Lisbon and head for Geneva. The pictures can be viewed here:
https://www.inflightwithjames.com/po...lisbon-geneva/

After arriving from Heathrow, I didn’t really fancy sitting around the airport for six hours until my next flight. Instead, I decided to head to a nearby area by the river for a walk.

With 35 degree temperatures, I only lasted a couple of hours before the heat got to me and I decided to make the two stop metro journey back to the airport.

Upon arrival, once more I skipped the check in area and headed straight for security. Once more I had fast track and was through in a minute or two. After which, it was through the duty free shop, and up to the lounge.

TAP Premium Lounge

This was one lounge on the European Star Alliance network I was yet to visit. I was a little underwhelmed to say the least! Seeing as this was TAP's home airport, I was expecting something a little bigger. I'd almost say that the the third party lounge next door was slightly better.

There were no real features of note, other than a pretty decent manned bar and the food selection on the buffet I had was tasty enough. Although there were only two warm options - pasta and some chicken. There were also pies, cold meat, cheese and soup available.

Even the seating in the lounge wasn't anything to write home about.

I made my way down to the gate when it said so on the flight information display. Although when I arrived, it didn’t appear we would be boarding any time soon.

As it turned out, the incoming aircraft only arrived on to stand ten minutes before our scheduled departure time. It would have been handy if they’d let everyone know this.

Eventually I did get a text minutes five minutes before departure, that the flight would indeed be delayed. I’d already figured that out for myself however.

On board

Boarding finally began around five minutes after our scheduled departure.

I’d sat towards the front on TAP last year, and had heard nothing but bad things about the seats further back.

When I took my seat, I found they were basically the same as what’s fitted to the rear of the British Airways A320neo fleet.

Departure

Pushback finally came around thirty minutes behind schedule. Luckily it was a fairly quick taxi, and with a bit of decent schedule padding, we were due to arrive into Geneva pretty much on schedule.

Service

The service started around fifty minutes after departure. That’s something that I had noticed about both of my flights with TAP on this trip. The crew sure did take their time starting the onboard service.

I was passed a familiar looking box, however this time around the contents were different. There was a chicken wrap, along with cheese and biscuits. And unlike my previous flight, I actually got a drink too!

Entertainment on this flight was provided by the family sat in the row opposite. It was bad enough that they decided the cabin was the perfect place to change their baby. But then they decided to place the used article they had just removed in the seat back pocket. Lovely. I had hoped that decency would take over and they would dispose of it later, but it wasn’t to be. To the best of my knowledge it’s still in the seatback to this very day.

Arrival

We descended into the darkness and touched down around ten minutes behind schedule. As Geneva isn’t the biggest airport in the world, we were on stand within a few minutes. Due to the fact this was an arrival from the Schengen area, there were no formalities to complete. As such, it was straight to the exit and off to the hotel for the night.

My thoughts

Much like the last flight with TAP, this one wasn’t overly spectacular. It wasn’t particularly bad either, it just lacked a certain something.

The seating on board was a little cramped, although this is something that we will all have to get used to I expect. Those Recaro seats are very popular across a number of airlines.

The on board catering was tasty too, and it was good to get a bit of variation from the previous flight too.

roadwarrier Sep 16, 2019 8:59 am

Entertainment on this flight was provided by the family sat in the row opposite. It was bad enough that they decided the cabin was the perfect place to change their baby. But then they decided to place the used article they had just removed in the seat back pocket. Lovely. I had hoped that decency would take over and they would dispose of it later, but it wasn’t to be. To the best of my knowledge it’s still in the seatback to this very day.
I would probably have puked and aimed it in their general direction.......

hugolover Sep 17, 2019 5:19 am

I see why TAP are so cheap. What a rubbish lounge. Shameful when staffing & F&B are so cheap in PT. I'm happy Helga will convey me to Portugal from MUC.

Isn't the ANA lounge better in LIS?

jwhite9185 Sep 18, 2019 5:32 am

Originally Posted by hugolover (Post 31533606)

Isn't the ANA lounge better in LIS?

Better. But I still wouldn't call it brilliant.

I was surprised that TAP had such a weak lounge at their home base.

lhrpete Sep 18, 2019 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by jwhite9185 (Post 31537369)
Better. But I still wouldn't call it brilliant.

I was surprised that TAP had such a weak lounge at their home base.

Totally agree, it's more like something you might find in a third world country than in Western Europe. I don't know who thought the seating was a good idea, it's difficult to think of anything worse.

Stewie Mac Sep 19, 2019 4:34 am

what? The barman does a mean aperol spritz (or selection of G&Ts, if that's your thing) and there are endless pastais de nata.... what's not to like?

offerendum Sep 19, 2019 5:09 am

From my experience with Business-lounges in Europe it sounds not too bad. I experienced very few Business-lounges (don´t talk about First lounges) which was really exciting. Best lounge was Emirates DUS which is a combined Business/ First lounge,