Nine Days In Norway

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Leeroy75
I loved the photos!
Thank you, Leeroy75.
Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
Thanks for yet another stunning trip report DanielW! Good read - and some amazing quality pictures.
Cheers, Romanianflyer. I've never really experienced sub-zero temps so it was so fascinating to visit a cold and snowy place at the top of the world.
Originally Posted by zymm
What an amazing trip! It looks like you got the hang of driving the sled pretty quickly, only 3 crashes is pretty good I think
Thanks, zymm. Luckily the snow was very forgiving for those three spills!
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I always feel like I’m on the trip with you, Daniel, after reading your reports and experiencing the amazing pictures. This one was absolutely amazing. I know I’ll never do a trip like this myself, but I got a bit of a taste of what it would be like.
Many thanks, Jaimito Cartero. Yes, certainly an experience I will never forget!
Originally Posted by mentor of monty
Daniel- amazing as ever, thank you! Do you know what breed those wonderful dogs are? And were the bothered by the drone? Mine hates them...
Thanks, mentor of monty. They are Alaskan Huskies, which is a mixture of different breeds I think (?). The dogs weren't too fussed with the drone, probably thought it was just a nosy bird.
Originally Posted by wrp96
What a wonderful report. Thank you for taking us along with you again.
I smiled at this. Growing up we had a dog that was raised to race the Iditarod but was too hyper to be a sled dog, so the comment reminded me of Champ.
Thank you, wrp96. The Iditarod sounds like an incredibly tough race so maybe domestic bliss as a pet wasn't a bad alternative.
Originally Posted by SFO777
Wow. Simply amazing. What an fantastic adventure! Love your incredible drone pics of the sledding sights.
Many thanks, SFO777. I had been wanting to try dog sledding for a while and this trip was certainly a great way to scratch the itch!
Originally Posted by londonfog
Wow! What a trip! Sleigh run, Northern Lights. Unfortunately I removed the sleigh run from my bucket list, you need a level of fitness beyond mine, maybe twenty years less, and... all your limbs (below the knee amputee). Thank you for sharing.
Thanks, londonfog. The Villmarkssenter has shorter trips, even for just an hour out with the dogs. You can even get someone to drive for you while you enjoy the ride:
https://villmarkssenter.no/activities/husky-sled-ride/
Originally Posted by 757
Amazing report, Daniel. Wow. What a trip and great photos from your drone high above your campsites and of the surrounding scenery! It gets so cold in Minnesota where we live during the winters I don't know if I could face a trip to being in the cold, but it looks like a really great experience.
Thank you for sharing.
Cheers, 757. We were near the end of winter so it wasn't super cold. Certainly bearable for a desert dweller like myself anyway.
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
A really wonderful report thank you for sharing your experience. It looks amazing, and I would love to say that I will try it but the thought of being that cold really doesn't work for me - some people prefer lazing by the beach HAHAAHA
I am surprised about the quality of the photos - i.e. that the cameras were able to operate to well in the extreme cold
I wonder how it was to be totally cut off from the rest of the world for those few days out in the wilderness ... Must have been amazing not having buzzing phones!!!
Incidentally, what type of of DJI drone do you use? Do you like this one or would you recommend another?
Am I the only immature one who thought this said Fly pigs?
Fantastic photos!!!
Thanks, SQTraveller. My next TR will be in Mauritius so plenty of beach time to make up for Norway.
Luckily no issues with the cold with my camera. I think battery life suffers a bit in the cold but I took plenty of spares and a few powerbanks.
The lack of phone signal was a welcome break from the outside world.
I just have the DJI Mavic 2 Pro. Perfect for travel and couldn't ask for much more: https://www.dji.com/ae/mavic-2
I'm sure you're not the only person to look twice at the flypgs.com URL.
wrp96 likes this.

Last edited by DanielW; Aug 6, 2019 at 3:40 am
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:58 am

Fantastic TR, even more than I expected from your already fantastic line-up of TRs. Where were the restrooms? Behind some frozen bushes?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Thanks for posting. I look forward to your trip reports and have enjoyed them all, but this was a step beyond. Just spectacular.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Carq
Fantastic TR, even more than I expected from your already fantastic line-up of TRs. Where were the restrooms? Behind some frozen bushes?
Thanks, Carq. The restrooms were always downwind and walking far enough away from the camp to get at least some privacy.
Originally Posted by janehoya
Thanks for posting. I look forward to your trip reports and have enjoyed them all, but this was a step beyond. Just spectacular.
Many thanks, janehoya. Yes, this was definitely one of my favorite and most memorable trips. Was very hard saying goodbye to the dogs at the end too!
Old Aug 7, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: Various
Beautiful pictures as usual and as always a very interesting report. You should go back to Northern Scandinavia in summer to experience the difference.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, SAS Eurobonus
Excellent trip report from my home country with beautiful photos. I have some relations to all places you visited. I live in Oslo, was in the army near the dog sleigh trip area (stationed in village Overbygd on the map in post #15 ) and studied for 4 years in Bergen. Although in the army we had to ski ourself to get around on winter exercises.. :-). Could be very cold, but also had the fortune to see a lot of Aurora Borealis in return. This trip report bring back some memories from both the army and studies.
crystal_cad and UAL250 like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Simply one of the best TRs ever posted on this website. You've outdone yourself again, Daniel! Spectacular photos and commentary. I don't think I have the stones to go into the Norwegian wilderness however . I think these photos will be good enough for me as far as that is concerned :P. I am definitely looking into doing IAD-Bergen, and then taking the train to Oslo after a couple days in Bergen (I have been to Oslo before, great city). Train ride sounds like a lot of fun, and beautiful as well.

Again, spectacular stuff. One of my favorite TRs ever on this website. Loved all your photos. Thank you!
Old Aug 7, 2019, 9:12 pm

One of, if not, my favorite trip report I've ever read/viewed on FT. The stunning scenery that was captured by the drone was breathtaking. Well done and thank you for sharing.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 1:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
Beautiful pictures as usual and as always a very interesting report. You should go back to Northern Scandinavia in summer to experience the difference.
Thanks, Fredrik74. Yes, seeing the midnight sun is still on my bucket list. Just saw a video yesterday from Lofoten where the sun had descended close to the horizon and then just moved sideways!
Originally Posted by broenor
Excellent trip report from my home country with beautiful photos. I have some relations to all places you visited. I live in Oslo, was in the army near the dog sleigh trip area (stationed in village Overbygd on the map in post #15 ) and studied for 4 years in Bergen. Although in the army we had to ski ourself to get around on winter exercises.. :-). Could be very cold, but also had the fortune to see a lot of Aurora Borealis in return. This trip report bring back some memories from both the army and studies.
Thank you, broenor, always great to get positive feedback from a local. We saw some kind of bunker / closed off tunnel near Overbygd, perhaps it was military related? Bergen must have been a great place to study, seemed to have a cool vibe to the place.
Originally Posted by UAL250
Simply one of the best TRs ever posted on this website. You've outdone yourself again, Daniel! Spectacular photos and commentary. I don't think I have the stones to go into the Norwegian wilderness however . I think these photos will be good enough for me as far as that is concerned :P. I am definitely looking into doing IAD-Bergen, and then taking the train to Oslo after a couple days in Bergen (I have been to Oslo before, great city). Train ride sounds like a lot of fun, and beautiful as well.
Again, spectacular stuff. One of my favorite TRs ever on this website. Loved all your photos. Thank you!
Many thanks, UAL250. Yes, the train ride on the Bergensbanen was very beautiful. Apparently you can also do a slight diversion to Flåm Railway on the way to Oslo too and go up on the world’s steepest railway line. Would be fun to do: https://www.lonelyplanet.com/europe/...2-1479d2778e11
Originally Posted by benjahman
One of, if not, my favorite trip report I've ever read/viewed on FT. The stunning scenery that was captured by the drone was breathtaking. Well done and thank you for sharing.
Thanks, benjahman. I was abit nervous with the drone in the cold weather but it was luckily fine. My iPhone shut down a few times and my fingers almost froze but the drone handled it well.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 1:10 pm

Another wonderful TR Daniel-nothing I could say that hasn't been echoed over and over again by everyone else.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
EPIC Adventure

Daniel, thanks for the TR.
This is truly an epic adventure!
Drone footage added an extra and colorful dimension to your adventure story telling. The Christmas tree drone shot was my fav!
Drone battery in the cold: Did you notice shorter battery life?
I was wondering when will you see aurora borealis. You finally did!
About Bergen’s averages 231 days of rain a year - We were in Bergen for two days, and we had nothing but sun shine!
What is the transit at Moscow’s Sheremetyevo Intl Airport like?
Old Aug 8, 2019, 4:32 pm

As always, an amazing trip report. But, I have to add a wow, because, wow!!
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Another great trip report. My dad's family is Norwegian and I have always wanted to go and visit Norway. One of these days perhaps. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: EB
Fun to "finally" see the famous ( ) DanielW go to my home town! Shame you didnt go into Tromsø town-centre, I would have loved to see your pictures
Interesting to see pictures from Tromsø Villmarkssenter. It is clear they have struck "the gold ore" with their activities, as they have been a local tourist company since I was born (which is some years ago now...). They begun with activities for the odd alien tourist, but mostly for us locals. The last years their activities have exploded. Furthermore clearly, is that they have a really good product for their customers. Your trip looks thought through and well excecuted, with quality food (yes I can recognize it ) and proper equipment. Sadly they are probably making a fortune on a somewhat cost of the dogs. Not all of the dogs are part of the Finnmarksløpet teams - as you said they have over 300 dogs. They have been under the scrutiny of the governemental animal welfare-organ, as the majority of their dogs get less than 10 hours off the leash PER WEEK. The worst months are the summer months, when they are mainly used for shorter trips with ATVs or wheeled-sleds. In April of 2005, govermenetal controls showed that some dogs were less than 5 hours off their short leash over a whole week. They are also blamed for shooting unwanted/sick dogs, and having a non-stop production of "cute puppies" so that the tourists everytime will be able to make those gosh darn cute puppy-pictures to post on social media. (So far I have never seen a single person going there without coming back with pictures of puppies). The unwanted dogs "magically disappear" when they no longer serve the cuteness-quota of the centre...

Tove herself has said that "10 hours of acitivity a week is too much for a dog". I think she thinks more with her wallet, than with her empathy. But that is just my interpretation. Some links that probably can be translated with google translate, to prove I am not out only to .... on them for no reason - more to present a perspective from someone who comes from the town and has the possibility to see behind the tourism-superficial-look of it all. The claims comes from previous employees of the centre:
https://www.nordlys.no/hevder-hunder...r/s/5-34-40125
https://www.itromso.no/nyheter/article11480466.ece

But naja. That is just some thoughts from a local Finnbiff is absolutely delish, a favorite of mine. Melkesjokolade is a godsent gift and Widerøe is a good airline. That you had no rain in Bergen is really nothing short of amazing, better deliver a lottery ticket ASAP....
mkm4 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by steveman518
Another wonderful TR Daniel-nothing I could say that hasn't been echoed over and over again by everyone else.
Thank you, steveman518, yes, definitely a trip I will not forget soon!
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Daniel, thanks for the TR.
This is truly an epic adventure!
Drone footage added an extra and colorful dimension to your adventure story telling. The Christmas tree drone shot was my fav!
Drone battery in the cold: Did you notice shorter battery life?
I was wondering when will you see aurora borealis. You finally did!
About Bergen’s averages 231 days of rain a year - We were in Bergen for two days, and we had nothing but sun shine!
What is the transit at Moscow’s Sheremetyevo Intl Airport like?
Thanks, allset2travel. The drone battery life didn't seem to be affected too much. The batteries warm up a bit during the flight so are 15-20C by the end. The controller battery got a bit cold though, especially near the end of the trip when it dropped from 59% to 15% on my last flight!
Transit at SVO is easy and uneventful. Just a cursory passport check before passing through security.
Originally Posted by halfcape
As always, an amazing trip report. But, I have to add a wow, because, wow!!
Cheers, halfcape, I had quite a few 'wow' moments on the trip too.
Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
Another great trip report. My dad's family is Norwegian and I have always wanted to go and visit Norway. One of these days perhaps. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Thank you, HawaiiTrvlr. Yes, a very beautiful country and is definitely on my 'must return' list.
Originally Posted by Pangro
Fun to "finally" see the famous ( ) DanielW go to my home town! Shame you didnt go into Tromsø town-centre, I would have loved to see your pictures
Interesting to see pictures from Tromsø Villmarkssenter. It is clear they have struck "the gold ore" with their activities, as they have been a local tourist company since I was born (which is some years ago now...). They begun with activities for the odd alien tourist, but mostly for us locals. The last years their activities have exploded. Furthermore clearly, is that they have a really good product for their customers. Your trip looks thought through and well excecuted, with quality food (yes I can recognize it ) and proper equipment. Sadly they are probably making a fortune on a somewhat cost of the dogs. Not all of the dogs are part of the Finnmarksløpet teams - as you said they have over 300 dogs. They have been under the scrutiny of the governemental animal welfare-organ, as the majority of their dogs get less than 10 hours off the leash PER WEEK. The worst months are the summer months, when they are mainly used for shorter trips with ATVs or wheeled-sleds. In April of 2005, govermenetal controls showed that some dogs were less than 5 hours off their short leash over a whole week. They are also blamed for shooting unwanted/sick dogs, and having a non-stop production of "cute puppies" so that the tourists everytime will be able to make those gosh darn cute puppy-pictures to post on social media. (So far I have never seen a single person going there without coming back with pictures of puppies). The unwanted dogs "magically disappear" when they no longer serve the cuteness-quota of the centre...

Tove herself has said that "10 hours of acitivity a week is too much for a dog". I think she thinks more with her wallet, than with her empathy. But that is just my interpretation. Some links that probably can be translated with google translate, to prove I am not out only to .... on them for no reason - more to present a perspective from someone who comes from the town and has the possibility to see behind the tourism-superficial-look of it all. The claims comes from previous employees of the centre:
https://www.nordlys.no/hevder-hunder...r/s/5-34-40125
https://www.itromso.no/nyheter/article11480466.ece

But naja. That is just some thoughts from a local Finnbiff is absolutely delish, a favorite of mine. Melkesjokolade is a godsent gift and Widerøe is a good airline. That you had no rain in Bergen is really nothing short of amazing, better deliver a lottery ticket ASAP....
Thanks for the background on the Villmarkssenter, Pangro. Hopefully they have sorted out all the issues now with the Mattilsynet.
My original plan was to spend the last night in Tromsø but as we got back quite late just stayed at the Villmarkssenter. On my list though for my return trip to Norway though along with visiting Svalbard.
Loved all the food too, especially the finnbiff and Melkesjokolade!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.