Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Nine Days In Norway

Nine Days In Norway

Old Aug 10, 19, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM, AS, MR-LT Titanium, HH Gold
Daniel,
Thanks for your answers to my question.
I might plan a DONEx with a transit in Moscow since I had not flown S7 ever!
Old Aug 11, 19, 6:34 am

Programs: DL Diamond; Marriott Titanium
Thank you for the amazing journey through your report. I had never even thought about dog sledding until seeing your report. I really enjoy winter activities and think this would be a great activity to try. Thanks for sharing.
Old Aug 14, 19, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HLT1904 View Post
Thank you for the amazing journey through your report. I had never even thought about dog sledding until seeing your report. I really enjoy winter activities and think this would be a great activity to try. Thanks for sharing.
Many thanks, HLT1904. Yes, such a fun and exciting experience, definitely one for your bucket list!
Old Aug 14, 19, 10:04 am

Programs: ShebaMiles
Reminds me of my scouting days... though I think our mushing was confined to pulling each other on sleds around a pond. Keep travelling off the beaten path, DanielW!
Old Aug 14, 19, 11:05 am

Programs: AC 75K and also 25K on account I don’t use
Gorgeous shots, what camera and drone do you use?

This is a really inspiring trip that might just influence my future travels. Kudos!
Old Aug 14, 19, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Parterre View Post
Reminds me of my scouting days... though I think our mushing was confined to pulling each other on sleds around a pond. Keep travelling off the beaten path, DanielW!
Yes, a few more TR's from interesting locale to come!
Originally Posted by asovse1 View Post
Gorgeous shots, what camera and drone do you use?
This is a really inspiring trip that might just influence my future travels. Kudos!
Thanks, asovse1. These photos are just taken with my Canon 5D4 and DJI Mavic 2 Pro.
Old Aug 21, 19, 2:34 pm

Programs: Miles and More
Instead of porridge for breakfast I opted for some cheese, salami and bread.
Daniel, your TRs are all great, but this one I think reaches masterpiece

About the above quoted statement: how did you guys manage to keep the dry food (salami, cheese maybe also protein bars) from not being frozen? I have done quite a lot of winter hiking/climbing in the Romanian mountains too, but always used just frozen/canned food, cooked or heated using the Primus. If, by exception, I would have one sandwich with me for the first day which would escape uneaten, the only way to keep it edible for the next day was to put it inside the sleeping bag, too . The same treatment was needed by any other cold temp sensitive stuff, like phone, batteries for camera etc.
Old Aug 22, 19, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dragos76 View Post
Daniel, your TRs are all great, but this one I think reaches masterpiece

About the above quoted statement: how did you guys manage to keep the dry food (salami, cheese maybe also protein bars) from not being frozen? I have done quite a lot of winter hiking/climbing in the Romanian mountains too, but always used just frozen/canned food, cooked or heated using the Primus. If, by exception, I would have one sandwich with me for the first day which would escape uneaten, the only way to keep it edible for the next day was to put it inside the sleeping bag, too . The same treatment was needed by any other cold temp sensitive stuff, like phone, batteries for camera etc.
Thank you, dragos76. Yes, the cold certainly brought a new dimension to everything. The cheese and salami was quite hard but wasn't too bad. It was probably a mistake to bring the protein bars though, they were rock hard and nearly broke my teeth a few times. I also brought an aluminium water bottle for the trip but quickly realised it would be useless (since the water just freezes). We were luckily given thermos flasks though. I kept a spare camera battery and my phone in my pants pocket to keep them relatively warm. The iPhone didn't really like the cold though and died a few times when out in the cold. The drone batteries were fine though since they warm up when you use them. Definitely a learning experience!
Old Aug 30, 19, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Incredible! Thanks as usual for the awesome images and storytelling. The drone shots really do add to the vastness of the place.

We are planning a (much less adventurous) trip to Scandinavia in a couple months. Will be hitting Oslo, Bergen, and Tromso along the way, then to Finland for a stay at Kakslauttanen. Venturing into DJI equipment also, but starting much smaller on the ground with the Osmo Pocket.

​​​​​​
Old Sep 4, 19, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by Parterre View Post
Your scouting was way more adventurous than mine ... I just went down to the forest to set up camps :S
Old Sep 4, 19, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
Incredible! Thanks as usual for the awesome images and storytelling. The drone shots really do add to the vastness of the place.
We are planning a (much less adventurous) trip to Scandinavia in a couple months. Will be hitting Oslo, Bergen, and Tromso along the way, then to Finland for a stay at Kakslauttanen. Venturing into DJI equipment also, but starting much smaller on the ground with the Osmo Pocket.
​​​​​​
Mnay thanks, gooseless. Yes, the drone really helps with getting the overall perspective. Kakslauttanen looks amazing. Looks like lots to do and capture with the DJI Osmo Pocket too.
gooselee likes this.
Old Sep 13, 19, 12:56 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Sas EuroBonus, Thon Hotels Discovery Gold.
I really enjoyed the trip report.
As a norwegian living in norway, this even made me want to travel more in my own country.
Love the pictures from Bergen; the most beautiful city in Norway.

"The local Starbucks in a beautiful historic building on Vetrlidsallmenningen." - this used to house the citys best place to get good quality local, imported fresh produce, meat, fish and coffee. Sadly now it is a Starbucks shop.
Kvikk Lunsj is the number one, most norwegian chocolate for easter time and people bring it everytime they go to the mountains or forrest.

Thanks
Old Sep 16, 19, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JustGo View Post
I really enjoyed the trip report.
As a norwegian living in norway, this even made me want to travel more in my own country.
Love the pictures from Bergen; the most beautiful city in Norway.

"The local Starbucks in a beautiful historic building on Vetrlidsallmenningen." - this used to house the citys best place to get good quality local, imported fresh produce, meat, fish and coffee. Sadly now it is a Starbucks shop.
Kvikk Lunsj is the number one, most norwegian chocolate for easter time and people bring it everytime they go to the mountains or forrest.

Thanks
Thank you, JustGo, always great to get good feedback from a local.

Yes, always a shame when generic American chains replace local stores. Tor mentioned how are famous Kvikk Lunsj are in Norway. Apparently they are tastier than their American counterpart too.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ar-tastes-best
JustGo likes this.
Old Sep 16, 19, 1:26 pm

Love this TR, Daniel! I really don't mind the cold weather as I live in Canada myself!
Such a fascinating trip.

Thanks for sharing!
Old Sep 19, 19, 5:29 pm

Programs: ShebaMiles
Originally Posted by SQTraveller View Post
Your scouting was way more adventurous than mine ... I just went down to the forest to set up camps :S
Oh, we did a lot of that too.

Search this Thread