Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Turkish Airlines New Business Class 787 IST to DPS (Bali)

Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold

My partner and I flew from AMS via IST to DPS yesterday – all flights were operated by TK’s brand new 787-9 Dreamliner TC-LLD.

This trip report will focus on the new J cabin, the new J seat and the flight from IST to DPS – however, some pictures where taken during the previous flight from AMS to IST (during daylight, hence better quality).

Date: August 4, 2019
Flight: TK66 (IST-DPS)
Seat: 3E&F

Aircraft: TC-LLD (first long-haul service for this particular aircraft)

In Istanbul, we boarded the aircraft though the second door on the left side. The entrance immediately makes a nice, welcoming impression because of the nicely illuminated TK logo and Boeings sky interior.

We were greeted by the crew who pointed us to the correct aisle for our seats 3E&F.
Our seats 3E&F were located in the middle of the cabin. These are so-called “honeymoon seats” which are closer together. These seats also have a divider if you are traveling alone and don’t want to sit too close to your neighbor.
Even though these are honeymoon seats, the privacy screen on head level makes it very difficult to see and speak to your travel companion. You have to lean forward in order to have a conversation – which is a bit of a disadvantage if you want to enjoy the flight together.
As far as I could see, there are no really good seats for couples. The seats in even rows (seats D&G) have the privacy screen on their aisle sides, but are also further apart.

Here are some more pictures of the cabin:

The seat offers adequate, but not a lot of storage. The little storage compartment offers enough space for a headphone case, wallet, passport, etc.
The armrest can be lowered to create some extra space.

The seat is not overly spacious, but comfortable enough for a 1.87m person (82kg).
The foot cubby also is not too restrictive.

Foot cubby in row 3 (and basically all rows except 1)

If you are tall, it might be worth asking for row 1 during check-in. The foot cubby in row 1 is a little bigger than in the other rows.
Row 1 is usually blocked and can only be assigned by airport staff during check-in time.

Foot cubby in row 1

The new Versace amenity kits were provided with the usual TK contents.

The inflight camera on the 787 is amazing:

There are 3 restrooms for the business class cabin. The restrooms were kept very clean during the flight, one of the restrooms even had a Japanese toilet J
The restrooms are more on the small side…

As usually the case with TK, the cabin crew was incredibly friendly and helpful and made this flight very enjoyable!

By the way, I am going to post some pictures of the food in the catering thread of the TK Forum.

Last edited by SFOTraveler1984; Aug 4, 2019 at 8:57 pm
Old Aug 4, 2019, 9:13 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, AA Exec Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United 1K
Did you like the comfort of the seat in the long haul segment?
Old Aug 4, 2019, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyjfk
Did you like the comfort of the seat in the long haul segment?
The flight time from IST to DPS was around 12 hours and the seat was perfectly fine for such a long flight.
I went to bed right after takeoff and got a solid 4-5 hrs sleep.
I managed to sleep on the back and on the side without issues.

In terms of space, I would compare the TK J seat to the QR J seat (in their old 1-2-1 config).
The TK J seat is not as tight as the QR seat on the refurbished A330 in 2-2-2 config and not as tight as the new TAP seat in their A330Neo.

I wouldn't hesitate to fly the new TK J on long-haul routes again.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:09 am

Programs: A3 Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Amex Platinum
I don't think it's that comfortable to sit in a "regional" J seat for 10 hours (but still better than 2-3-2 77Ws). TK made a really bad choice when SQ install those seats for their regional fleets.
Anyway, the problem is that TK doesn't even fly to Australia (although DPS is pretty close to, in this parlance)
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:55 am

Programs: TK Elite
The seat looks fine. The biggest issue I see here is for couples traveling together, I'm almost inclined to think booking seats on the sides is a better option, ie 1K 2K for couples. Their latest 77W J product remains for me the best J product out there, you can feed me all the BS that QR has the best J class seat out there, that's just ridiculous, the TK 77W seat probably has the most real estate of any J class seat & is perfect for couples.
PerStockholm likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:06 am

Programs: AA PPro
Thanks so much for sharing. Do you think row 1's seat length was shorter in trade off for the additional width, or the same?
SFOTraveler1984 likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HiAperture
Thanks so much for sharing. Do you think row 1's seat length was shorter in trade off for the additional width, or the same?
Hi, the length of the seat in row 1 was the same as in the other rows, maybe even a little bit longer.
Row 1 is definitely a good choice!
HiAperture likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:06 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Thanks for sharing!

So the seats in J are actually better than we thought... Nice...
Old Aug 5, 2019, 11:49 pm

Programs: Eurobonus
Thanks alot for your review!

Do you have any input on which three seat you would choose for a family of two adults and a 5 year old kid?
Right now we have 4A,4D,4G booked since the E/F seats are blocked.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kneckenbauer
Thanks alot for your review!

Do you have any input on which three seat you would choose for a family of two adults and a 5 year old kid?
Right now we have 4A,4D,4G booked since the E/F seats are blocked.
Hi, the seats offer a lot of privacy which is nice - but a real disadvantage when traveling with somebody, especially a child.
I think you made a good choice by placing one parent at the window and the other parent and the child in the middle section.
Seats E&F are very close and you can reach over to your child, possibly help with food, etc but the privacy screen is a pain - you will need to lean forward quite a lot to see your child.
I am not sure if D&G are much better. They don't have the privacy screen in-between, but the seats are further apart and have the consoles between them. They might be a little too far apart. On the other hand, while E&F have a little barrier on the floor, D&G have not - it is possible to cross from one aisle to another via D&G seats, but not via E&F. Might be a good thing when traveling with a child as you can "walk over" to his/her seat.

We will have D&G seats on the return flight. I am happy to report back!
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:13 am

Programs: Eurobonus
Originally Posted by SFOTraveler1984

Hi, the seats offer a lot of privacy which is nice - but a real disadvantage when traveling with somebody, especially a child.
I think you made a good choice by placing one parent at the window and the other parent and the child in the middle section.
Seats E&F are very close and you can reach over to your child, possibly help with food, etc but the privacy screen is a pain - you will need to lean forward quite a lot to see your child.
I am not sure if D&G are much better. They don't have the privacy screen in-between, but the seats are further apart and have the consoles between them. They might be a little too far apart. On the other hand, while E&F have a little barrier on the floor, D&G have not - it is possible to cross from one aisle to another via D&G seats, but not via E&F. Might be a good thing when traveling with a child as you can "walk over" to his/her seat.

We will have D&G seats on the return flight. I am happy to report back!
Thanks a lot for your feedback!

Would be great if you report back. I have also thought that the ability to walk between seats on the D/G might be better than just leaning forward in the E/F seats.
Another thing is the window seat. In the images I have seen they look a bit staggered from the middle seats. Do you think 4A or 3A is a better choice when the other to are 4D,4G. Maybe you can have a look at that on your way back?

Thanks!
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kneckenbauer
Thanks a lot for your feedback!

Would be great if you report back. I have also thought that the ability to walk between seats on the D/G might be better than just leaning forward in the E/F seats.
Another thing is the window seat. In the images I have seen they look a bit staggered from the middle seats. Do you think 4A or 3A is a better choice when the other to are 4D,4G. Maybe you can have a look at that on your way back?

Thanks!
They are not staggered very much. I think 4A is better - but will let you know after my return trip!
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:28 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
I was on the same flight with my family and met up with SFOTraveller briefly. It was good to meet a fellow FTer.

The flight was very good and the product great. I would hesitate to use it again.

Having flown with kids from 8 weeks old few airlines offer decent kids service in premium cabins. There was a 3 year old in front of me who slept most of the way. The mother was across the aisle and it didn’t seem to bother her.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by binman
I was on the same flight with my family and met up with SFOTraveller briefly. It was good to meet a fellow FTer.

The flight was very good and the product great. I would hesitate to use it again.

Having flown with kids from 8 weeks old few airlines offer decent kids service in premium cabins. There was a 3 year old in front of me who slept most of the way. The mother was across the aisle and it didn’t seem to bother her.
thank you for your feedback. I'm assuming you wanted to say you wouldn't hesitate to fly the product again?
TPJ likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 3:34 am

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Thanks for sharing. The new cabins look pretty nice, all things considered. Any change/improvement to the IFE (besides the fabulous camera)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.