Search

Cabo San Lucas and The Resort at Pedregal via Alaska (VX) First

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2019, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Cabo San Lucas and The Resort at Pedregal via Alaska (VX) First

Mrs. SFO777 and I are off today for a quick two day trip to Cabo San Lucas. Summer is certainly not the most pleasant time of the year to visit Cabo, but it's one of our good friend's 60th birthday and we're on our way to join the party and celebration. Fortunately, Alaska has a five days a week Orange County to Cabo nonstop. Even better since they are operating a Virgin America configured A319.

Orange County SNA to San Jose del Cabo SJD
Alaska AS 1224
A319
9:50am-1:15pm
July 31, 2019
First Class
Seats 2AC

This plane had the first generation VX seats, but still very comfortable especially on a short two hour flight.

Excellent service today including pre-departure open bar service. And after take-off, a breakfast smoothie and my first of two Bloody Marys.

Breakfast today was a choice of yogurt and granola, or breakfast sandwich. There was only one breakfast sandwich left by the time our flight attendant got to our seats, so we were stuck with one of each. Unfortunately, the yogurt was disgusting and inedible.

The breakfast sandwich looked much better...

... and was very tasty. My half as we split it.

The BOB Economy Cheese Platter from Economy was still available... for $8.50...

... and unlike the yogurt was edible and refreshing.

I guess this sounded cool 10 years ago.

And then there was endless parade of Economy pax to the First Class lav. IME, Virgin America crews were pretty good about restricting lav access. Alaska? Not so much. Indeed the VX cabin divider rope was still there, hanging useless as Alaska continues to not care about who uses the F lav.

On descent to SJD.

We pulled into the gate ontime at 1:15pm MST.

The deceiving deserted walk to customs.

Looking good.

But whoa Nellie. At the bottom of the escalator, the customs arrival hall... with 1,000 or so of our closest friends from 4 or 5 flights that beat us to the terminal. Nary a single person in the Mexican, pregnant and handicapped passport line but a mass of humanity in the Foreign passport line. No idea what they were, but there were a bunch of kiosks on the other side of the rope against the left wall with no signage as to purpose. I asked a security person whether Global Entry members could use them and was told no. OK, not sure about that as all sorts of people started using them, eventually resulting in an even slower line on the left side of the hall. In the end, It took 50 minutes to get to one of 6 manned booths out of 20 or so.

As if 50 minutes for customs wasn't bad enough, we then had to queue for random incoming bag check. Not surprisingly, we got a red light and wasted another few minutes before exiting customs and entering time share central.

Outside, to tent position #4 and our pre-arranged ride.

Old Aug 4, 2019, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The Resort at Pedregal
Cabo San Lucas

Cabo San Lucas is a roughly 45 minute drive from the airport. The Resort is just on the other side of downtown party town Cabo. Pretty cool entrance thru an impressive chandelier lit tunnel under a mountain.

The Resort at Pedegral is simply a wonderful resort in a glorious setting. But the most memorable aspect was the service... friendly and wonderful staff with amazing attention to detail. Easy to understand why The Resort at Pedregal was recently voted the #1 Resort Hotel in Mexico.

Although I had booked a basic Ocean View King, our Virtuoso booking got us an upgrade to a Ocean View Deluxe King, complimentary breakfast and $150 credit. Very nice room although a little dated and showing its age.

With a great terrace...

... including plunge pool.

At 4pm, our daily afternoon snack tray. Despite the 95 degree temps, a cooling ocean breeze made it quite pleasant in the late afternoon.

Just after 7pm, we headed out for the 15 minute drive to a gated community adjacent to Esperanza.

And a special birthday fireworks.

After a fun evening of partying, we arrived back at our hotel well after midnight.

Last edited by SFO777; Aug 6, 2019 at 9:13 am
Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
That resort looks stunning - ditto the food! Craving some good ceviche and octopus right now just looking at the pictures.

I can easily see myself spending a few days there just drinking a corona and admiring the views from the plunge pool. Thanks for posting, as always!
Old Aug 4, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: ShebaMiles
Another SFO777 trip review so soon after the last? Now you're spoiling us.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 2:37 pm
Suspended

We go to Cabo at least once a year. It’s our favorite place and we are going in October.

Each time we go, our last dinner is at El Farallon at Pedregal. It’s simply breathtaking and this time is no different; we have reservations on Oct 9th.

We are also trying the restaurant at Esparanza this time as well.

The airport machine where you tap the button is unique and decidedly kind of funny. The first two times we went, I got the red light and had bags checked. Since then, my wife hits the button and has been green every time.

Of course, we have nothing to hide, but it has become a fun little game we play now.

Hope you enjoyed.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: DL Diamond; Marriott Titanium
Had to laugh at the immigration line, we had the exact same experience when we visited this February. That line puts Disney to shame.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 5:25 pm

The kiosks may be for the Viajero Confiable program. Apparently if you have GE, a US citizen may obtain an equivalent for Mexico. Just 3 airports though - CUN, SJD, and MEX. Looks like a nice resort.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 5:34 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Great to see this new report from you, SFO777! Looks like you had a fun trip ... the dinner at your resort hotel made me super hungry! Also did the guacamole and corona pictures! I am amazed sometimes when airlines don't enforce the F class lav policy more. In my opinion I think it's fine if people use it if they are in the very front of the cabin (like the bulkhead of Y), but to have an endless stream seems to be a bit much especially when there are always comments of "remaining in your ticketed cabin."

As always, thank you for sharing your travels with us!

Best - Matthew
Old Aug 4, 2019, 7:59 pm

Gasp... the immigration lines. To think it was a Wednesday and it would probably be worse towards the weekend.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
That resort looks stunning - ditto the food! Craving some good ceviche and octopus right now just looking at the pictures. I can easily see myself spending a few days there just drinking a corona and admiring the views from the plunge pool. Thanks for posting, as always!
Thank you Romanianflyer. LOL on the Corona and the plunge pool. It was a perfect short getaway.

Originally Posted by Parterre
Another SFO777 trip review so soon after the last? Now you're spoiling us.
Thanks so much Parterre. I appreciate it. When it rains, it pours. Off on a mileage run to Bermuda and Montreal tomorrow night starting with AA First Dining and LAX-JFK.

Originally Posted by cslovacek
We go to Cabo at least once a year. It’s our favorite place and we are going in October. Each time we go, our last dinner is at El Farallon at Pedregal. It’s simply breathtaking and this time is no different; we have reservations on Oct 9th. We are also trying the restaurant at Esparanza this time as well. The airport machine where you tap the button is unique and decidedly kind of funny. The first two times we went, I got the red light and had bags checked. Since then, my wife hits the button and has been green every time. Of course, we have nothing to hide, but it has become a fun little game we play now. Hope you enjoyed.
Thank you very much cslovacek. This was our first trip to Cabo and we definitely plan to return... in winter. For sure, I'll let Mrs. SFO777 tap that button next time. LOL.

Originally Posted by HLT1904
Had to laugh at the immigration line, we had the exact same experience when we visited this February. That line puts Disney to shame.
OMG, that was so depressing to get to the bottom of the escalator and see the mass of humanity. I told Mrs. SFO777 that she should have brought her crutches. Maybe next time.

Originally Posted by lamphs
The kiosks may be for the Viajero Confiable program. Apparently if you have GE, a US citizen may obtain an equivalent for Mexico. Just 3 airports though - CUN, SJD, and MEX. Looks like a nice resort.
Thanks very much lamph and for the explanation of the kiosks. Do you know if there is a VIP meet and greet service at SJD?

Originally Posted by 757
Great to see this new report from you, SFO777! Looks like you had a fun trip ... the dinner at your resort hotel made me super hungry! Also did the guacamole and corona pictures! I am amazed sometimes when airlines don't enforce the F class lav policy more. In my opinion I think it's fine if people use it if they are in the very front of the cabin (like the bulkhead of Y), but to have an endless stream seems to be a bit much especially when there are always comments of "remaining in your ticketed cabin." As always, thank you for sharing your travels with us! Best - Matthew
Thanks so much Matthew. Unfortunately, in the race to the bottom, US airlines don't seem to care anymore.

Originally Posted by miuk
Gasp... the immigration lines. To think it was a Wednesday and it would probably be worse towards the weekend.
That was my thought exactly. Can you imagine a winter weekend during spring break.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:29 pm

An amazing resort in a stunning location on the tip of Baja California Peninsula, SFO777. The mountain tunnel makes for a very grand entrance too!
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:26 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Wow at the resort!
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:51 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I took my first trip down there with Alaska First mainline (737) earlier this year. It was pretty disorganized as you accurately describe, but otherwise an interesting destination. I'm not sure if it actually compares with Hawaii but it made for a nice change of pace than our usual island holiday.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:31 pm

I was in Cabo in 1982. The problem is that most of the beaches are too rough to swim in. The only swimable safe beach is near the famous rocks. Unfortunately our hotel was not there.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: A3 Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Amex Platinum
Excellent report as usual, SFO777. Based on your photo and reviews, Cabo definitely looks like a great destination outside summer, and the resort must added a lot of extra memories to your trip. Getting there from Australia is a real problem though (I'm talking about flying at least 8,000 miles and two transits to get there)

Stay tuned for my upcoming Jakarta and Bali trip in September (spoiler: flying Y only, I'm poor on miles now )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.