Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

England in two weeks - October 2018

Old Jul 7, 19, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles

Spent two weeks in England during October 2018. Below is a summary. If you have questions, ask away!

Flights (Delta Air Lines; all Main Cabin):
* MDW-DTW-LHR Tue 09 Oct 2018. DL 4486 and DL 16 (Booked Preferred seat on 16 to have more room to sleep)
* LHR-DTW-MDW Tue 23 Oct 2018. DL 17 and DL 3669

Airport transportation:
* National Express bus Terminal 3 to Woking
* Heathrow Express Paddington Station to Terminal 3

Accomodations:
Stayed first few days at a bed & breakfast in Woking. Moved to a hotel in Northallerton (between York and Darlington) for two nights. Stayed at a hotel in London near Paddington Station for one night. Went back to the Woking B&B. Stayed at the hotel near Paddington again for the night before departure.

Transport:
Railway (with BritRail pass for most of trip). Buses and underground/tube within London.

Places visited:
* Winchester Cathedral
* Imperial War Museum (London)
* Bluebell Railway (heritage steam railway; runs south from East Grinstead. Scenes from “Downton Abbey”, “Grantchester” and others filmed there.)
* Oxford (“Inspector Morse” walking tour)
* Hollycombe steam museum (features steam-driven fairground rides. Near Liphook, Hampshire)
* National Railway Museum (York)
* Beamish Museum (living-history museum based around a former coal mine. Near Durham.)
* Durham Cathedral
* Shepherd-Neame brewery tour (Faversham, Kent)
* Fishbourne Roman Palace (Mosaic floors and other remains from Roman villa; short walk from Fishbourne railway station)
* Chichester (cathedral and around town)
* Arundel (castle and quick town visit)
* Amberley Museum (living history museum in former chalk quarry. Next to Amberley railway station.)
* Last full day was a leisurely afternoon and evening in London. Went to Imperial War Museum again, and bus ride Trafalgar Square to East End and back for sightseeing.
Old Jul 7, 19, 3:35 pm

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
Sounds like a good trip, and nice to see you getting away from London What was your favourite place?
Old Jul 7, 19, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

London is great and all, but my preference is country and small towns.

I have to say on that trip my favorite place was the Imperial War Museum. My father traveled to England a few times on business, and had wanted to go to the Imperial War Museum, but never made it. He had asked me to go see it, and I did. Not to give out TMI, but my father is no longer with us, which made the trip especially important.

Normally though, my favorite place would be the Bluebell Railway. I was there also on my first trip over.
Tocsin likes this.
Old Jul 12, 19, 11:39 am

Programs: CX Silver
Originally Posted by IHBvet93 View Post
I have to say on that trip my favorite place was the Imperial War Museum. My father traveled to England a few times on business, and had wanted to go to the Imperial War Museum, but never made it. He had asked me to go see it, and I did. Not to give out TMI, but my father is no longer with us, which made the trip especially important.
The Imperial War Museum is one of my favorites too. Make sure you take a good look at the maps full of pinholes and the somber, encroaching atmosphere of the bunks. To live under such close quarters without going insane during the war is a feat in itself.
IHBvet93 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 19, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

I don't specifically remember seeing the bunks and maps. Hopefully that's a permanent exhibit, so I can make a point of seeing it next trip.

What was especially memorable was the exhibit based on one family's experiences in London during World War Two. The worst my family had it in Chicago was being under rationing and a few serving in the military (and coming back alive), which pales in comparison.
Old Jul 13, 19, 1:52 am

Programs: CX Silver
Originally Posted by IHBvet93 View Post
I don't specifically remember seeing the bunks and maps. Hopefully that's a permanent exhibit, so I can make a point of seeing it next trip.
I realized we have been talking about two different museums even though they are all under the IWM umbrella. Yours would be the IWM London on Lambeth Road while I am referring to the Churchill War Museum beside St. James's Park (https://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/churchill-war-rooms). It is where Churchill spent most of his working hours during the war, apparently under variable degrees of influence from his drinking habit. That is where the maps and bunks are displayed.
I have never been to IWM London but would definitely attempt on a next visit.

Another attraction one would recommend is Aerospace Bristol to see the Concorde (Aerospace Bristol | A supersonic family day out in Bristol).
IHBvet93 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 19, 3:03 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I'm also a big fan of the English countryside. Will be there in September and can't await.
IHBvet93 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 19, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

There was an Italian couple also staying at the B&B. They spent their entire trip going to different public gardens, which I thought was quite interesting.
Old Jul 16, 19, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
My one regret in all my decades living and working in West London is that I never made the effort to go to the IWM.

Glad you got to see a fair spread of England ... probably seen more that I did in over 60 years living there
IHBvet93 likes this.

Search this Thread