Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Singapore, Bangkok, and a First Class Round the World for the ages

Singapore, Bangkok, and a First Class Round the World for the ages

Reply

Old Jul 10, 19, 9:19 pm
  #31  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: LAX-SNA
Programs: BA Gold, AF Silver, UA 1K, AA 2mm LT PLT
Posts: 19,120
We arrived at Changi just after 11am or about 1h45m until departure. We were planning on going to The Private Room but didn't do our homework and wound up going to Terminal 2 where our SIN-BKK flight was to depart instead fo Terminal 3 and First Class terminal entrance.



So we took the train to T3 to explore.



And got to see The Jewel. OK, now that was prettty cool.







By the time we got to T3 and walked towards check in and departures, we agreed that this was now too much hassle and too little time. We'd both been to The Private Room numerous times, and find it somewhat over-rated any way. So we took the train back to T2, passing thru The Jewel again.



... and the SilverKris First Class Lounge.







Pleasant bar...



... and comfy seating areas.







Dining room...



... with a nice selection of serve yourself food options.







The biggest surprise shock of the day was the champagne. OMG. OMG. Piper-Heidsieck Rare Millésime 2006. Are you serious? This amazing champagne retails for $500 a bottle, and it was just sitting out on the serve yourself liquor contour. The funniest thing was that I had just poured myself a draft Tiger beer when batmandds pointed it out. Needless to day, I didn't drink a drop of the Tiger. We wondered who screwed up and mistakenly put out this champagne, which is better than anything served in The Private Room. We each enjoyed three glasses and killed the bottle and then watched as a staffer brought our another bottle. Wow.



Sadly, it was time to head to our gate for our flight to Bangkok.






Last edited by SFO777; Jul 13, 19 at 7:52 pm
SFO777 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 19, 1:23 am
  #32  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 864
Wow at the cost of the bubbles!

Interesting comment about keeping quiet on who you'd booked your hotel through. For a while here, if your travel agent booked a trip through Ryanair instead of you booking it, you risked not getting on your flight if they found out. I think they seem more relaxed about it these days though as not heard anything in the press for a good while.
nequine is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 19, 4:12 am
  #33  
Moderator, Trip Reports
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 6km East of EPAYE
Programs: UA Silver, AS & AA GM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,262
Another absolutely awesome trip report! Thank you for sharing SFO777, I've been looking forward to this one with bated breath. Also, not a good thing to read on an empty stomach. It got me real fired up, and I don't think my city has any Chinese restaurants open at 6am
Madone59 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 19, 2:51 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: DCA, HNL, SYD
Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA EXP, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, AmEx Cent, Misc Hotel Bling, Moms love me
Posts: 4,820
Originally Posted by SFO777 View Post
The biggest surprise shock of the day was the champagne. OMG. OMG. Piper-Heidsieck Rare Millésime 2006. Are you serious? This amazing champagne retails for $500 a bottle, and it was just sitting out on the serve yourself liquor contour. The funniest thing was that I had just poured myself a draft Tiger beer when batmandds pointed it out. Needless to day, I didn't drink a drop of the Tiger. We wondered who screwed up and mistakenly put out this champagne, which is better than anything served in The Private Room. We each enjoyed three glasses and killed the bottle and then watched as a staffer brought our another bottle. Wow.


WHOAH! ...and I thought the Christmas Day when I got Krug Rosé on Lufthansa in First was fortunate - this is a whole different level! Charmed life, my friend!
ironmanjt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 19, 9:49 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: PVG / BNE
Posts: 130
Originally Posted by SFO777 View Post
The biggest surprise shock of the day was the champagne. OMG. OMG. Piper-Heidsieck Rare Millésime 2006. Are you serious? This amazing champagne retails for $500 a bottle, and it was just sitting out on the serve yourself liquor contour. The funniest thing was that I had just poured myself a draft Tiger beer when batmandds pointed it out. Needless to day, I didn't drink a drop of the Tiger. We wondered who screwed up and mistakenly put out this champagne, which is better than anything served in The Private Room. We each enjoyed three glasses and killed the bottle and then watched as a staffer brought our another bottle. Wow.
I think they used to have this in The Private Room? Regardless it looks like it was your lucky day, lovely champagne!
llamaesque is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 19, 3:47 am
  #36  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Programs: Miles and More
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by llamaesque View Post
I think they used to have this in The Private Room? Regardless it looks like it was your lucky day, lovely champagne!
I guess airlines not only have "fare errors", but sometimes also "bubbles errors". Lucky you!
dragos76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 19, 8:02 am
  #37  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: North-West Europe
Programs: Flying Blue, BAEC Bronze LH Miles & More, Air Asia BigShot
Posts: 225
Ahhh.... a SFO777 tr! Just what I was hoping for on an office Friday afternoon
Justin Case is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 19, 8:05 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: points traveller
Posts: 327
Originally Posted by llamaesque View Post
I think they used to have this in The Private Room? Regardless it looks like it was your lucky day, lovely champagne!
Originally Posted by dragos76 View Post
I guess airlines not only have "fare errors", but sometimes also "bubbles errors". Lucky you!
Used to be in TPR and then was moved to 1st lounges (in T3 as well as T2)

back in the day it was the 2002 version.

but then again TPR has Dom which is better than most F lounges.
diningdecadence is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 19, 7:47 pm
  #39  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: LAX-SNA
Programs: BA Gold, AF Silver, UA 1K, AA 2mm LT PLT
Posts: 19,120
Originally Posted by nequine View Post
Wow at the cost of the bubbles! Interesting comment about keeping quiet on who you'd booked your hotel through. For a while here, if your travel agent booked a trip through Ryanair instead of you booking it, you risked not getting on your flight if they found out. I think they seem more relaxed about it these days though as not heard anything in the press for a good while.
Thank you nequine. Interesting about Ryanair. That C-Trip message was pretty funny especially with the translation.

Originally Posted by Madone59 View Post
Another absolutely awesome trip report! Thank you for sharing SFO777, I've been looking forward to this one with bated breath. Also, not a good thing to read on an empty stomach. It got me real fired up, and I don't think my city has any Chinese restaurants open at 6am
LOL. Thanks so much Madone59 and for you kind comments,

Originally Posted by ironmanjt View Post
WHOAH! ...and I thought the Christmas Day when I got Krug Rosé on Lufthansa in First was fortunate - this is a whole different level! Charmed life, my friend!
Thanks ironmanjt. I love surprised like that on our travels. Indeed, we definitely lucked our with the Rare.

Originally Posted by llamaesque View Post
I think they used to have this in The Private Room? Regardless it looks like it was your lucky day, lovely champagne!
Originally Posted by dragos76 View Post
I guess airlines not only have "fare errors", but sometimes also "bubbles errors". Lucky you!
Originally Posted by diningdecadence View Post
Used to be in TPR and then was moved to 1st lounges (in T3 as well as T2). back in the day it was the 2002 version. but then again TPR has Dom which is better than most F lounges.
The Rare was a real treat. Thank you llamaesque, dragos76 and diningdecadence.

Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
Ahhh.... a SFO777 tr! Just what I was hoping for on an office Friday afternoon
Thanks very much Justin Case.
SFO777 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 19, 7:49 pm
  #40  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: LAX-SNA
Programs: BA Gold, AF Silver, UA 1K, AA 2mm LT PLT
Posts: 19,120
Singapore SIN to Bangkok BKK
Singapore SQ 873
A330-300
12:50pm-2:20pm
July 3, 2019
Business Class
Seat 12A


Since we spent a little extra time in the lounge with our third glass of Rare, boarding was well under way by the time we got to the gate. We boarded immediately using the left Priority Lane.





SQ's regional A330 is 2-2-2 but an updated and comfortable version.















Today's menu...







... and wine list.





















I had Booked the Cook and ordered Lobster Thermidor...



... which was very good.















We arrived on time and then walked to Immigration to try our the new no invitation Fast Track, which now relies on your boarding pass.



Not a lot of signage but we had faith that it would be there...



... et voila.







Worked great with no one in line ahead of us.









After Immigration, we went looking for Left Luggage to stow our rollers until later that day. Information Desk told us to look for the Q lane.









There it is. 100 Baht (or roughly USD 3) and we were done.



I guess we won't be doing any modelling this trip. LOL.



Back downstair at arrivals, our Blacklane driver was waiting for us and we were on the road.











And here we are just after 4pm.



We hung out for a while at nearby Marriott Mayfair before heading back to Gaggan.



aeroman380 likes this.
SFO777 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 19, 7:51 pm
  #41  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: LAX-SNA
Programs: BA Gold, AF Silver, UA 1K, AA 2mm LT PLT
Posts: 19,120
Gaggan - Bangkok
The #1 Restaurant in Asia and #4 in the World.

At around 5pm, we walked back to Gaggan to make sure we were in plenty of time to secure one of the coveted few seats at the Chef's Table for our 5:30pm seating.









Gaggan staff enjoying their pre-game meal at what appeared to be an auxiliary kitchen across the alley.





Just before 5:30pm, we were escorted upstairs to the Chef's Table for what turned out to be an amazing and memorable evening of fabulous food, good wine, great music and great entertainment from an incredibly talented and outgoing staff including Polish-American sous-chef Radek Zarebinski and an amiable young American sommelier Ottara Pyne.







The menu is 25 simple emojis, representing the 25 different tasting menu courses.



We both opted for the wine pairing, which included nine different wines. Pours were generous as were the refills.





Our entertaining sommelier Ottara...



... and sous-chef Radek who entertained us for more than three hours with food and wine descriptions for each course, with a varied background of music throughout.







Gaggan's iconic Yoghurt Explosion.



































Uh-oh. Time for the blindfolds and no peaking...





Talk about trust.





























































Getting ready for Fire.















Our nine wines for the evening.













At the end of the night, applause and hugs all around.



And a brief chat with the man himself before heading off to the airport. What an amazing experience that we will remember for a long time. An experience that touches all the senses. Bravo Gaggan!


Last edited by SFO777; Jul 15, 19 at 10:21 pm
SFO777 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 19, 8:02 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Singapore
Programs: CX Gold, Krisflyer PPS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Posts: 570
we ate at Gaggan last year - didnt know abt the chef table! we were lucky he was there as well.

great tr so far
eponymous_coward likes this.
sl00001 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 19, 5:45 am
  #43  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 864
Wow at the food but do you actually feel full after eating so many tiny things over a conventional 3-course meal?
nequine is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 19, 8:16 am
  #44  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: ATH
Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Posts: 3,853
I loved Gaggan and went last November - I love how much he mixes up the menu. Besides from yogurt explosion and lick it up, it looks like you had a totally different line up of dishes Great trip report!
eponymous_coward likes this.
dcmike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 19, 1:34 pm
  #45  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Netherlands
Programs: Hilton Silver
Posts: 24
Subscribed! What an amazing adventure it must have been!
lloydje33 is online now  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread