Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

The Summer of 96,000+ BIS Miles F/J (26 Countries, 4 Continents, 2x RTW)

Old Jul 3, 19, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Many

FULL SUMMER MAP: 96,741 BIS MILES

Now granted, this is an exceptionally LONG summer that began when a project wrapped in May and runs until the first days of October, but this is how it is going to unfold (or rather, continue unfolding):

- Started off with a bang in May: 3 Continents, 1 Wedding and a pile of EQM BA/AZ/IB/AA/LH/AY J + DY Y

- Continued on strong through June: 16th Time Around (The World) 25,925 miles AC/AY/CX J, AA F

Now this final installment will cover all that's to come. The routing of the remaining flights are JFK-CDG, ZRH-CDG-NCE-LGW, LHR-DME-SKG-HER, PAS-ATH-CDG-JFK, MMU-BHB-MMU, LGA-MIA-CUN-MIA-LAX-HKG-HEL-MUC-LHR-KWI-BAH-GYD-DOH-MCT-AUH-JFK

REMAINING FLIGHT MAP: 44,943 BIS MILES

So, this is how we got here:

- I booked a JFK-CDG-JFK AA Y roundtrip, once I had identified days that had "C-space" available and used 2 SWU to turn this into a very cheap TATL J roundtrip.
- From Paris, through a combination of trains and cars, I am going to visit Colmar, Lucerne, Vaduz and Zurich.
- Then, I purchased an LX J flight from ZRH back to CDG.
- I had been in Paris in June overseeing the final stages of my apartment's renovation and expected it to be ready by July. Of course, things never go as planned, and now additional work on the roof means it won't be ready. Rather than pay for additional days in a hotel in Paris, I copped a cheap AF Y flight CDG-NCE that allows me to land from Zurich and continue on the same day to the Riviera.
- After two weeks in St. Tropez, Monte Carlo and Nice, I booked a revenue flight NCE-LGW in BA Y. Going back to stop in London at my gf's parent's house overnight.
- The following morning, I used Avios to book 2 tickets in BA J on what (at least for now) is scheduled to be a B787 to Moscow for a friend's wedding.
- After the wedding, we are on revenue A3 Y tickets (I bid on the upgrades and think they will come through DME-SKG (overnight in Thessaloniki) and then an onward connection on a monoclass flight to Crete (HER).
- We spend a shade over three weeks in Crete, Santorini, Naxos, Koufonisia and Paros, then fly together on A3 Y (monoclass) revenue tickets PAS-ATH. From there, gf goes to London briefly and I continue on A3 Y (bid on the upgrade again, we'll see) ATH-CDG. By that point, the apartment should be finished, so I will have a place to stay.
- From Paris, there's the back end of the AA ticket the SWUs were used on to get back to NYC for my Mother's Birthday CDG-JFK.
- After a very brief stop home in NY, gf arrives from London and we have Mom's Birthday, then all fly Private up to BHB for a wedding in Maine. We return to NYC the same way.
- After another short respite in NYC, I take an AA Y revenue ticket LGA-MIA-CUN (I should HOPE I clear all upgrades as an EXP), We then continue to Tulum.
- After Mexico, the back end of a previously purchased ex-HKG AA J fare picks up. CUN-MIA-LAX-HKG in AA F (SWU'd from J).
- After Hong Kong, I pick up part of the back end of a YYZ-LHR-HEL-SIN, HKG-HEL-LHR-YYZ ticket. AY J to Helsinki (HKG-HEL). I began this ticket in June, and the final HEL-LHR-YYZ portion will be used to Dec. to get me back from another trip.
- I have one night to catch up with friends in Helsinki, then there's an LH J ticket (UA Miles) to get to another friend's wedding, and of course OKTOBERFEST in Munich.
- After Oktoberfest wraps up, I used Avios for a BA J award MUC-LHR-KWI.
- I will see the limited sights in Kuwait City, then take my first ever KU flight (Y, unless they sell me a cheap upgrade) down to Bahrain.
- After seeing Manama and the Tree of Life, it will be my first ever GF flight (also Y, unless they sell me a cheap upgrade) to Azerbaijan.
- After Baku, I used Avios to book 2 seats in QR J GYD-DOH-MCT.
- After Oman, the best flight of the trip (I assume), I cashed in AA miles via calling the Australian desk (the US desk are worthless with EY awards) and booked EY J MCT-AUH, an overnight in Abu Dhabi, then AUH-JFK in EY F on the A380. Very much looking forward to the Etihad First Apartment.

ALL IN COSTS (aside from revenue tickets):
Avios: 83,000
UA Miles: 25,000
AA Miles: 115,000
AA SWU: 3 (4 total for the Summer, 1 used in June*)

TOTAL ROUTING FOR SUMMER:
JFK-LHR-ARN-BUD-FCO-ALG-MAD-LHR-LAX-JFK-MAD-MUC-DME, SVO-HEL-JFK, EWR-YYZ-JFK-HEL-CDG-HEL-SIN-HKG-DFW-MEX-DFW-JFK-CDG, ZRH-CDG-NCE-LGW, LHR-DME-SKG-HER, PAS-ATH-CDG-JFK, MMU-BHB-MMU, LGA-MIA-CUN-MIA-LAX-HKG-HEL-MUC-LHR-KWI-BAH-GYD-DOH-MCT-AUH-JFK

AIRLINES & CLASSES ALL SUMMER:
AA Y/J/F
EY J/F
AY Y/J
BA Y/J
CX J
AZ J
IB J
LX J
AC J
QR J
LH J
AF Y
DY Y
KU Y
GF Y

TOTAL COUNTRIES:
USA
United Kingdom
Greece
UAE
Singapore
Sweden
Hungary
Italy
Canada
Mexico
UK
Germany
France
Algeria
Russia
Finland
Vatican
Liechtenstein
Switzerland
Bahrain
Kuwait
Spain
Monaco
Azerbaijan
Qatar
Oman

REMAINING LODGING:
Paris: Hotel National des Arts et Metiers
Colmar: Hotel Quatorze
Lucerne: Grand Hotel National
Zurich: Dolder Grand
St. Tropez: House Rental
Monaco: Fairmont
Nice: Negresco
London: Gf's Parent's House
Moscow: Ritz-Carlton
Thessaloniki: Golden Star Resort
Crete: Elounda Bay Palace / Elounda Gulf Villas
Santorini: Anastasis Apartments
Naxos: 18 Grapes Hotel
Koufonisia: Hotel Koufonisia
Paros: Saint Andrea Resort
Paris: Home
NYC: Home
Bar Harbor: TBD Wedding Hotel
Tulum: Ana y Jose Charming Resort
Hong Kong: The Pottinger / Ritz Carlton
Helsinki: Hotel Kamp
Munich: Le Meridien / The Westin / Kempinski Vier Jahreszeiten
Kuwait City: Four Seasons
Manama: Ritz-Carlton
Baku: JW Marriott / Four Seasons
Muscat: Ritz-Carlton
Abu Dhabi: Ritz-Carlton

RTW ROUTINGS:

1. EWR-YYZ-JFK-HEL-CDG-HEL-SIN-HKG-DFW-MEX-DFW-JFK

2. LGA-MIA-CUN-MIA-LAX-HKG-HEL-MUC-LHR-KWI-BAH-GYD-DOH-MCT-AUH-JFK

REMAINING FLIGHTS:
JFK-CDG AA J
ZRH-CDG LX J
CDG-NCE AF Y (MONOCLASS)
NCE-LGW BA Y
LHR-DME BA J
DME-SKG A3 Y (Upgrade Pending)
SKG-HER A3 Y (MONOCLASS)
PAS-ATH A3 Y (MONOCLASS)
ATH-CDG A3 Y (Upgrade Pending)
CDG-JFK AA J
MMU-BHB PRIVATE
BHB-MMU PRIVATE
LGA-MIA AA Y (Upgrade Pending)
MIA-CUN AA Y (Upgrade Pending)
CUN-MIA AA F
MIA-LAX AA F
LAX-HKG AA F
HKG-HEL AY J
HEL-MUC LH J
MUC-LHR BA J
LHR-KWI BA J
KWI-BAH KU Y
BAH-GYD GF Y
GYD-DOH QR J
DOH-MCT QR J
MCT-AUH EY J
AUH-JFK EY F

Last edited by GetSetJetSet; Jul 20, 19 at 5:14 pm
Old Jul 3, 19, 12:10 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Wow!!! This looks hectic - looking forward to this TR.
Old Jul 4, 19, 12:53 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Jeez what a trip!!!
Old Jul 4, 19, 3:07 am
Moderator: Trip Reports

Wow, that route map makes my head spin!
Old Jul 4, 19, 4:38 am

Programs: M&M, Finnair, FlyingBlue, HH and some more
It looks like you like flying... a bit
Old Jul 4, 19, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AhogZ View Post
It looks like you like flying... a bit
Juuust a bit. I'll be spending the two weeks at home before the next leg of this trip begins going up almost daily in a Cessna as well
Old Jul 4, 19, 10:25 am

Programs: Delta GM, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Looking forward to your report!
Old Jul 6, 19, 11:26 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, AA Plat, SPG/Marriott Plat Premier, Hyatt Explorist
I'm exhausted just reading about your tripóbut it sounds like it'll be a great few months. I'm looking forward to following along.
Old Jul 7, 19, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 View Post
I'm exhausted just reading about your tripóbut it sounds like it'll be a great few months. I'm looking forward to following along.
Thx! 10 days to departure. Can't wait.
Old Jul 16, 19, 10:24 am
Original Poster

On AA 44 TOMORROW JFK-CDG. Heading into this trip with MOMENTUM, just flew my FIRST SOLO this AM, so I will be trading the in the PIC Cessna time for a large glass of some sort of alcohol and a flat bed tomorrow night . Can't wait to kick this one off, although I have to say, I am QUITE bummed that it will be ~6 weeks before I get back behind the controls of a small plane.
Old Jul 17, 19, 11:08 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet View Post
On AA 44 TOMORROW JFK-CDG. Heading into this trip with MOMENTUM, just flew my FIRST SOLO this AM.
Congratulations! Looking forward to your TR
roadwarrier likes this.
Old Jul 17, 19, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Madone59 View Post
Congratulations! Looking forward to your TR
Thanks! Here we go!

AA FLAGSHIP LOUNGE JFK

I'm sitting at one of the little built in desks as we speak. As mentioned, yesterday was my first solo, and DAMN did that feel good. I rode that high all the way home and started packing for this lengthy trip. While the entirety of this swing will run until Oct. 5, I will be back in NY for a pit stop in early Sept., so I only needed to get my gear together for ~47 days. Still, not the easiest task considering I had to pack for cities, the beach and a wedding and get it all into carryons.

On my last swing through Hong Kong, in anticipation of this trip, I had Sam's make me a navy blue linen suit, thinking I could wear the jacket with jeans while in cities, the pants with a polo or linen dress shirt by the beach, and then put the pants and jacket together with a dress shirt and tie to get through the wedding. Less to pack. In case you're also into autistically planning both packing AND flying, I settled on: 1 linen suit, 1 additional pair linen pants, 1 pair of jeans, 1 pair exercise shorts, 1 pair khaki shorts, 8 polos, 8 t-shirts, 8 dress shirts, 4 pair swim trunks, 10 pair of boxers, one pair of socks,, 4 pocket squares, one tie, one pair of driving shoes, one pair of collapsible running shoes and 1 pair of flip flops. I crammed all of this into a 46 Litre Osprey Backpack, and a Tumi Alpha Trifold along with my laptop, a book, a reserve of foreign currencies and my toiletries. I'll have to do laundry somewhere along the way, but what other choice is there!

I left home hours in advance, having had previous run-ins with horrid JFK summer traffic. It was only a reasonable 1h15m or so from downtown Manhattan to JFK T8, so I arrived roughly three hours before departure. While the exterior of the airport was looking rougher than usual (I'll choose to blame DeBlasio!), with a lot of trash strewn about on the ground, it was nice, clean and cool inside.

I availed myself of Flagship First Check-In as it's one of the few remaining benefits of being an AA EXP. There was no one else around when I arrived, and I quickly had my ticket in hand for AA 44 to CDG. The TSA Pre line was likewise short, and I was soon past security and on my way to the Flagship Lounge.

While AA often bungle "improvements," I give them nothing but high marks on the Flagship Lounge at JFK. Since the remodel it looks great, has nice views over the field, ample seating, a pretty decent buffet, and if you turn right on entry and go over to the bar area tucked away there, you can find a (limited) a la carte menu with small plates. Sure beats the Admirals Club!

As I mentioned in the kick off to this post, I am sitting in the lounge, we are about 1h15m from boarding. I'm going to peruse the IFE guide and see if I can find something to watch during takeoff/dinner before I (hopefully) pass out for the rest of the flight to Paris!

I think I indicated in the first post of this report that SADLY due to unforeseen issues with the roof, the renovation of my apartment rambles on into it's 6th month, and I will be stuck in a hotel for the next 5 nights. At least I will be able to pop in tomorrow and see just how dire the construction situation is. While it's lousy to leave JUST as I finally logged some PIC time, I am excited to get back to Paris and catch up with everyone over there. I suppose the Cessna will be waiting for me in the fall.
roadwarrier likes this.
Old Jul 17, 19, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM, AS MVPG 75K, MR-LT Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet View Post
Thanks! Here we go!

I settled on: 1 linen suit, 1 additional pair linen pants, 1 pair of jeans, 1 pair exercise shorts, 1 pair khaki shorts, 8 polos, 8 t-shirts, 8 dress shirts, 4 pair swim trunks, 10 pair of boxers, one pair of socks,, 4 pocket squares, one tie, one pair of driving shoes, one pair of collapsible running shoes and 1 pair of flip flops. I crammed all of this into a 46 Litre Osprey Backpack, and a Tumi Alpha Trifold along with my laptop, a book, a reserve of foreign currencies and my toiletries. I'll have to do laundry somewhere along the way, but what other choice is there!

While AA often bungle "improvements," I give them nothing but high marks on the Flagship Lounge at JFK. Since the remodel it looks great, has nice views over the field, ample seating, a pretty decent buffet, and if you turn right on entry and go over to the bar area tucked away there, you can find a (limited) a la carte menu with small plates. Sure beats the Admirals Club!

BOLD is mine.
Your packing is right on, except ..... I am sure you meant 1 DOZEN pairs of socks (just trying to be funny, not picky).
This looks to be more than an awesome multiple journeys wrapped into 1 TR sort of deal.
Subscribed!

Have a safe trip!
Old Jul 17, 19, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by allset2travel View Post
BOLD is mine.
Your packing is right on, except ..... I am sure you meant 1 DOZEN pairs of socks (just trying to be funny, not picky).
This looks to be more than an awesome multiple journeys wrapped into 1 TR sort of deal.
Subscribed!

Have a safe trip!
Haha, nope I mean ONE pair of socks! It's summer time, I don't wear socks with my flip flops or drivers, so the socks are only for hitting the gym. I suppose I can wash them in the sink and dry them on a rack between uses. Thanks, hope you enjoy!
Old Jul 17, 19, 5:58 pm

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
This itinerary made my jaw hit the floor.

I'll be headed to Liechtenstein in a few weeks. Wife wanted to go there. Not sure why, but she wants to go. So we're going. Naturally, she'll be in J, I'll be in Y.

Although the trade-off is I've been given a hall pass to go to SIN for the Grand Prix in September. I'll be travelling solo in J with a mix of NH and SQ, so I think I won out.

Search this Thread