Wiki Posts
Search

Double TAP Air Portugal Inaugural – San Francisco & Washington DC Dulles

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Double TAP Air Portugal Inaugural – San Francisco & Washington DC Dulles

Double TAP Air Portugal Inaugural – San Francisco and Washington DC Dulles

TAP Air Portugal has been on a major expansion mode, since David Neelman becomes one of its owners, and in June, TAP began flights to Chicago, San Francisco and Washington DC Dulles. I have always had my eyes on the inaugural SFO flights because it will be operated by the new Airbus A330-900NEO. However, TAP did not announce the new North American flights all in a row, and they started with Chicago and Washington DC Dulles first. At that point, I saw a good one-way business class fare from IAD to London City via Lisbon and Porto including one overnight, so I immediately committed to that flight. Then after a week or two, TAP also announced the San Francisco flight, and I just could not pass up the bigger opportunity to fly another inaugural flight plus a new aircraft type. That is the reason why I ended up in two TAP inaugurals back to back. Just for your information, these inaugural flights are also my first-time flying TAP, so everything is sort of new to me. While the TAP reviews have been mixed online, my experiences on two obviously special flights are mostly positive. The flight attendants were friendly and patient with many first-time passengers. Even on my connecting flights on both mainline TAP and TAP Express flights from Portugal to London, service was pretty good. Catering, however, is a bit of mixed batch, and the food on the Portugal to UK flights was pretty unimpressive, especially on the E-190 flights to London City. BA actually did a better job. For this trip report on the eastbound transatlantic flights, the menu is identical on both flights but San Francisco obviously features a four-course experiences given its longer flying time and a late afternoon departure time. Dulles is a late-night departure so meals are more simplified. The surprise was that both flights feature a similar breakfast and the SF flights did not feature a hot breakfast, as expected on this longer transatlantic flight. Some people tell me that it is a cultural thing and Portuguese is really not a big breakfast country. Most Portuguese just have toasts or bread with ham and cheese to last them until lunch. However, I think they need to serve a hot meal on these longer flights to and from US West Coast. I found a leftover menu from LIS to SFO, and I was shocked that they only serve a cold meal on all their longer daytime flight from Lisbon to West Coast and Brazil. [Transcript here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31193026-post2187.html
]. There was also no snack basket that was commonly found on these longer daytime flights from Europe to West Coast, but there were sandwiches wrapped in plastic wrap left in the galley for the SFO flights for both cabins. In terms of seats, the Airbus A330-900NEO feature a newer generation of suites but TAP really squeezes many seats in the cabin. The cabin felt really crowded especially during boarding, but the seats were more comfortable in sleeping positions than their business class seats on its Airbus A330s. While I enjoy the storage and spaciousness of the throne seats, I could not sleep in the full flat position because of the tiny foot spaces.

For obvious reasons, TAP sent the same operating and PR teams to these two inaugurals, and I actually saw the same Portuguese staffs in both occasions. Honestly, I actually prefer the IAD inaugural to SFO, despite the SFO inaugural was more important to TAP because of the Portuguese population in the Bay area. The logistics were simply better for IAD because the flight at IAD has a three-hour layover, while the SFO flight only has two hours. Getting caught up in a heat wave and a baggage system meltdown did not help. Even though we got to see Neelman in SFO, I actually enjoyed the Dulles inaugural much better. For those who did not want to read further, here are the photo links to both inaugurals.

SFO Inaugural
http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/Ca...FO%20Inaugural

IAD Inaugural
http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/Ca...AD%20Inaugural

June 10, 2019
TAP Air Portugal TP 236 San Francisco to Lisbon Lv1610 Arr1125 Next Day
Airbus A330-900N CS-TUF

I arrived at the airport fairly early because these afternoon hours were usually horribly busy because everyone seems to want to leave at the same time. TAP’s check-in is located at Aisle 3, which is next to the really busy Air China’s area. There was already a crowd at the TAP check in area when I arrived, so I was glad that I arrived early. I was first in line to check in in the premium line. There are three lanes in all TAP outposts’ check-in area: premium, online baggage drop off only, and economy class check-in. Swissport is their agent here. Counters was supposed to open at 1:15pm but since everyone was here, they started early.

Gerado, a very friendly agent, checked me in, and it took him a while to finish the check-in because they were still new to the system, and since TAP’s online system did not allow passengers to enter the PASS ID for TSA Pre, the agent had to learn how to do it. I am pretty sure that they all know how to do it by now, given how many passengers were asking them to add their PASS ID. TAP does not issue separate boarding passes for connecting flights so I am thankful that Gerado reminding me that I need to keep the boarding pass all the way till I arrive in London.

Check-in area – packed
Without knowing the yield, it is hard to gauge how successful the flight is. However, it was definitely a good sign, when your first flight went out 100% full.

Despite having access to United’s Polaris Lounge here, I chose not to do it because I wanted to focus on the actual plane today. The inbound flight would arrive at 2:20pm, so I chose to grab a quick bite in the food court and then heading to the security, which was always busy.

TSA Pre was a nightmare this afternoon because a Lufthansa A380 crew decided to go through security at the same time as me. Nonetheless, it was still better than the regular line.

One of the annoying aspects about most of the windows here at SFO are these smart windows. I understand the environmental aspect, but it makes taking pictures impossible. However, I am also glad to find out that there is now an observation deck. Since it was so hot today, the deck was empty.

That’s why I manage to get some decent pictures of this beauty – Airbus A330-900N CS-TUF:

The plane was just a beauty to look at.

Since water is very precious here in California, traditional water canon salute is becoming rarer now on flights from California, especially Southern California. Since the Dulles inaugural got a water canon salute, I had a feeling that the lack of one in SFO was not because TAP being cheap.

G93 was our gate this afternoon and the gate was already set up with many TAP branded hanging paper decorations, a stage, and a buffet featuring Portuguese food. There was also a duo performing traditional Portuguese music at the stage.

Buffet – the food was excellent with a nice cold cut and cheese plate, along with some Portuguese tapas

Lovely Cake

David Neelman was obviously the star today. Here was a picture of him conducting an interview.

The ceremony was fairly typical with speeches by SFO CEO, Portuguese Consul General Mario Joao Lopes Cardoso, TAP Chairman, Miguel Frasquilho, and of course, David Neelman, a major stockholder of TAP. Then Neelman introduced the crews to the stage and then there was various ceremonies, including cake cutting, ribbon cutting, Madeira wine toasting [wines were only provided to special guests, not passengers], and gift exchanges. The most interesting comment was that Neelman said that a flight to the Azores, which had a huge population here in the Bay Area, is also in the making, but I will believe it when I see it. That will be an interesting inaugural flight to take though but I am not sure if the A321LR has the range, but A321XLR will be perfect for it.

Boarding was supposed to begin at 3:30pm and the gate was extremely packed given to the full load, and lots of seating were not available due to the buffets and stages. Soon the agent finally announced that there was a delay because the baggage system here at the airport broke down. They could not process any bags. Boarding was be delayed till 4:30pm.

I debated if I should go to the Polaris lounge but given that boarding could start at any time, I decided to stay put.

Boarding finally started at 4:25pm. Two male cabin staffs were checking boarding passes and welcoming passengers.

Economy class

Business Class featuring Recaro 6710 seats

9K – last row has no window

An amenity kit, an inaugural gift only for business class passengers, headphones, and menus were already pre-placed at each seat.

The gift was an aromatic soap from Castelbel, the same company that made the amenity kit.

You can now enter a code from your boarding pass to the PTV, which in theory would provide connecting flight information for you. However, it did not work on this flight.

The festive atmosphere made the rolling delays tolerable, and the F/As offered a pre-takeoff beverage, which was typical – orange juice or champagne, and I was thankful for the bag of Sunbites’ fruit and nut mix though.

Door was finally closed at 5:11pm, and we pushed back at 5:20pm for our ten hours and thirty-four minutes flight to Lisbon.

We passed some interesting evening lineups here at International Concourse G, including this special “Panda” welcoming sticker on this SAS’s A340.

COPA’s 737 resting here before going back to Panama City

Trio 777-300ERs – Turkish, Swiss and United

We took off from R/W28R at 5:47pm and it was a beautiful day in the Bay Area despite the heat. We had a good view of downtown San Francisco and Golden Gate Bridge on our climb out.

BTW, I really like this new generation of animated flight map.

The routing today took us over Richmond, Concord, Placerville, Homewood, Lake Tahoe and Fernley, NV, before reaching 35,000ft. Then we passed Elko airport, Halleck, Montello, and Lucin, Utah, before climbing to 37,000ft. We then passed Opal [WY], O’Neill [NE], Le Mars [Iowa], West Bend, Madison, Milwaukee, Muskegon airport, Flint Airport, Sarnia Chris Hadfield Airport in Ontario, London and Milford [Ontario], before climbing further to 39,000ft. Then we entered back to the US airspace, as we passed the Maine cities of Skowhegan and Bangor, and then back into Canadian airspace through passing the Dartmouth/Halifax in Nova Scotia. Then we began our long trek over the Atlantic Ocean, and eventually reaching our final altitude of 41,000ft later.

I first checked out the literature pocket, and to no surprise, San Francisco is featured in the inflight magazine this month.

Safety Card

Then WIFI brochure…

Here is the WIFI plan featured on this flight, as well as the speed test I conducted after I logged in.

To be honest, the WIFI worked fairly well and I managed to track my own flights at flightradar24, as well as downloading a few MSNBC podcasts as the evening proceeds. It was acceptable. However, the price was expensive and I had to subscribe to the top plans twice. I usually would not do it but since the flight was delayed, I had a connection flight to London Gatwick. I was tracking our flights, as well as researching options, and saw if TP has changed my reservation. I was glad that I did it because I found out that they indeed had rebooked me, despite I actually would be able to catch the Gatwick flight. However, TP reservation team did not realize that our flight was catching up some times and saw us landing at a much later time than the reality. I actually saw the aircraft operating my Gatwick flight, when our flight was heading to the parking bay. I saw that ex-Aigle Azur A320 at gate 26. However, the agent just falsely told me that the flight has left, and I had to fly the Heathrow flight. They had already printed the boarding pass, and so I headed to gate 26 after passing the security to the non-Schengen gates. There was no wait there, compared to the nightmare at the immigration. The flight was not even boarding when I showed up at the gate. However, I was told that it was too late to change back. To add insult to the delay and rebooking, there was no lounge in the Non-Schengen area. So, I just saw the Gatwick flight left and spent my transit time moving my overnight hotel from Gatwick to Heathrow. [Thankfully I paid for a flexible rate for Sofitel Gatwick, which allowed free cancellation till 2pm local time on day of arrival.] Anyway, enough ranting… back to the flight…

Last edited by Carfield; Jun 24, 2019 at 7:04 pm
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Here is the full menu and wine list. Since it was the inaugural flight, I would showcase the photos of the actual menu here, but if you want to view the transcript, here is the link to my post at the flyertalk’s menu thread.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31190634-post2186.html

Forty minutes after takeoff, service began with a round of hot towel.

Then beverage was served with a canapé and mixed nuts. Trolley was used for all the services, which I did not mind at all. The cabin was dense and there were only three F/As serving the whole J cabin. Hand delivery would take too much time.

At 7:15pm SFO time, the first course was served. TAP offers both a starter and a soup, as well as breads. I really enjoyed having soup on board, which was poured from a thermos.

Thirty minutes later, main course was served. Casserole dishes were used, and the beef, while was overcooked, was fine. I finished it.

Then there was a dessert trolley with your choice of ice cream, cheese, or fruit. It was lazy just to serve a bowl of ice cream and it was really unattractive, unless you serve a sundae. So, I chose the cheese plate. It went well with a glass of Port wine.

Lastly, there was a tea/coffee/chocolate service and bottled waters were also handed out.

Wingtip shot

Now it is time to take a closer look at the Recaro 6710 seats used by TAP.
Here is some description of the individual features:
Major side storage bin with literature pocket accessible from the top

Handset

Side panel featuring seat control console, an adjustable armrest, and a small storage bin in the bottom

I really appreciate that the armrest can be folded down, which gave you some extra width on the lie flat position.

Here is the console for power outlet, USB port, and headset plug, which is located next to the side storage bin.

Personal TV – all touchscreen too

Tray table underneath

Shoe storage bin

Here are the two “preset” positions:
Recline

Lie flat

The foot room was good on the lie flat position.

Bathroom check

A night view of the beautiful engine before going to sleep

The F/As pretty left passengers alone between meals, but there was always a F/A in the galley area that you could ask for a beverage or more water.

Good Morning:

At 3am SFO time/11am Lisbon time, light was turned on again for the breakfast service. I appreciate European airlines waiting for the last possible time for the final service. Hot towels were first offered, and then everything was served all at once with linen, beverage, and the full breakfast tray. Cold cuts and cheeses featured today include smoked turkey, pastrami, cheddar and cream cheese with cucumber and cherry tomato. I really appreciate the more detailed yogurt course, which includes a real bowl of plain yogurt with berries compote, and there was a separate bowl of granola.

Descent soon began at 11:50am.

Sight of land again

We landed at R/W3 at 12:21pm, and to my surprise, we got a bus gate, despite being an inaugural flight. I later read online from airlinegeeks.com that the current terminal structure could not handle its large wingspan of the A330-900Ns, so all the A330-900N flights have to operate from remote stands.

Some shots at Lisbon airport as we taxied to Stand 605.

This Orbest A330 was heading to Cancun later in the afternoon.

Rolls-Royce Trent 7000 engines

To my pleasant surprise, the bus left after all the business class passengers were onboard.
I was not sure if this was a typical arrangement or was it due to the inaugural flights? Or our late arrival?
Anyway, it was a nice arrangement especially after a long-haul flight.

As I said earlier, I “missed” my onward flights to London Gatwick and was rebooked on a later flight to Heathrow.
The arrival hall was a nightmare because there were so many flights arriving at the same time. However, since I was going to another international flight, I only needed to go through a security check to reach the N gate areas. Sadly, there was no lounge – TAP or Priority Pass after you went through immigration. If I want lounge access, I need to go through immigration to enter the Schengen area, and then back through immigration again when I went back to gates for the flights to London. TAP actually has great potentials for flights to Africa and Israel, but with no lounge access inside the Non-Schengen area, I could not recommend any business class/premium passengers to fly TAP. I feel that TAP really needs a lounge inside the Non-Schengen area, like most international airlines. There are spaces for an international signature premium lounge. Anyway, let fast forward to a week later to Dulles.
AJO likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

June 16, 2019
TP 232 Washington DC Dulles to Lisbon Lv2240 Arr1050+1 Airbus A330-200 CS-TOO Fernão de Magalhães

I arrived at Dulles from a JFK flight on Delta. Miraculously, the Delta’s flight arrived early and I headed to the departure level after retrieving my check-in bag. There is a reason why Delta gets so much positive recognition, as my bag was already there waiting for me after the long ride to the terminal.

TAP Air Portugal’s check in is located at Island 2, next to Alaska Airlines. It was a fairly quiet evening, and there were already a few guests waiting for check in at the TAP counters. I noticed the same group of staffs from the SFO flights were working the check-in and preparing staffs with the first day of operation. One of the TP staffs, the young gentleman with the mustache featured on my SFO pictures, chatted with business class passengers waiting in queue. It was a nice personal touch. Check in opened at 6:40pm, and as you could tell, there was the same setup with three different queues: premium, baggage drop-off, and economy check in.

It took a while for the agent to check me in because of my overnight at Porto. The agent needed help from the TP supervisor and it took them a few tries before getting my bags tagged only to Porto, and issuing my boarding pass. They also needed to enter my PASS ID, so it took them another minute or so. After getting my boarding pass and baggage tag, I was also handed an invitation to the inaugural party similar to SFO flight, and this time, I also got a box of TAP-branded chocolates.

There was no wait at the TSA Pre lane and it was a breeze going through. My first stop was to check out the gate B49 and to see if there was any spot to take photos of the plane arriving. Unfortunately, there was just no good spot, except inside the Senator Lounge of Lufthansa. Despite the agent advised me that TP officially uses the Turkish Airlines lounge, I decided to try my luck with Lufthansa. As a Star Alliance Gold member, I should have access to all Star Alliance lounges. Thankfully, I carried my Kris Flyer Gold card and the agent, despite being unsure when she saw my boarding pass, was willing to try, and after a few strokes in the keyboard, I was welcomed to the Senator Lounge. Since Lufthansa only had one more late evening Munich flight departing, the Senator section was quiet.

Lufthansa Senator/Business Lounge at Dulles

I got a really good spot by the window, and soon CS-TOO, an Airbus A330-200 named after Magellan, landed on time, and headed to gate B49.

The inbound landed at 7:24pm

All the guests went down the gate area

Well I think my pictures turned out okay!

Water canon salute

A German couple saw me taking pictures and noticed the water canon salute, and then they asked me if I knew what was going on. I told him that it was TAP’s first arrival into Dulles today. We had a nice small chat.

Since I was already here, I decided to take part of the food. The food selection was fairly good this evening and knowing that only a late-night supper would be offered on board, I enjoyed a hearty meal here.

Since TP officially uses Turkish Airlines Lounge in Dulles, I decide to check it out too. The Turkish Airlines Lounge has two main sitting sections, and there was a buffet station, as well as a bar. Since Turkish Airlines also had a late evening departure, the lounge was actually very busy.

The food selection was not to my liking, but there are a few meat and seafood dishes, as well as a salad bar. I was just thankful that I ate at the Lufthansa Senator lounge.

Got a good shot of the Lufthansa’s A350 D-AIXB – heading to Munich this evening

I headed back to Gate B49 at 8:30pm for the welcome ceremony, and other than the absence of musicians, the ceremony was similar. There was a nice buffet featuring a good choice of Western food (no Portuguese food), and there was a long queue. It was dinner time so no one was surprised at the length of the queue. Since I was full, I only had a small piece of the Tiramisu cake.

There were speeches again, and this time, I did a better job noting the speakers: Jerome L. Davis, executive VP and CRO of the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority, Domingos Fezas Vital, the Portugal’s ambassador to the United States, Miguel Frasquilho, the chairman of TAP, and Antonoaldo Neves, the CEO of TAP.

Neves, similar to Neelman, took the opportunity to introduce the crews operating tonight’s flight.

The captain even took his time introducing himself to guests too.

Then there was the usual ribbon cutting, cake-cutting, and gift exchange again.

The atmosphere was excellent, and many passengers were local Portuguese expats, so there were plenty of greetings.

Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Boarding began at 10:01pm, and I like how there are plenty of spaces for boarding here at gate B49. There were the usual premium lanes, passengers with no carry-on bags, Group A and B, and family boarding leaning towards the wall. There were many families traveling to Europe. Boarding was still chaotic due to many families, but at least it was more organized this time. There were plenty of TAP staffs assisting the new check-in agents with their boarding procedures. Metropolitan Washington Airport staffs were also handing out these branded blankets to every passenger to celebrate the inaugural flight. It was better than nothing from SFO.

Welcome by Purser

A quick shot of the economy class cabin

Then the business class cabin featuring an alternative four/five abreast arrangement. The A sides were all solo seats but the best seat was the “J” seats, also known as the throne seats with plenty of storage spaces. The seats are the same as the ones used by Aer Lingus.

A quick look at the throne seat

A fully enclosed storage bin on one side along with tray table, water bottle holder and a few panels of seat control and entertainment handset

Literature pocket and power outlet with USB port

Preset seat control

Headset strap

Coat Hook

PTV – touchscreen

Limited foot room

Another magazine pocket – where I located the inbound menu

The other side featuring two big storage bins – not enclosed but I presume the top shelf is for small laptops/iPad, and the bottom shelf is designed for shoes.

There is another literature pocket here on the other side.

Similar to the other flight, amenity kit, headsets, menus, and inaugural gifts were available.

The friendly F/As offered a choice of champagne and orange juice, with another bag of fruit and nut mix.

Door was closed early at 10:28pm, and we pushed back on time at 10:40pm.

It was a fairly busy time here at Dulles, and we waited in a queue for a while.
We finally took off at 11:12pm from R/W30.

Flying time was six hours and forty-seven minutes this evening. The routing took us towards Gaithersburg, MD, Fort Meade Tipton Airport, Brigantine, NJ, and Atlantic City, before leaving the US Mainland for the long overnight ride to Lisbon. We stayed at 39,000ft for the first part of the flight, and then we climbed to 40,000ft before passing the Azores Island, and then headed straight to Lisbon.

Unlike the SFO flight, the main meal service was designed to be served quickly. The meal was almost identical to my SFO with the same three main course choices, but a few courses were cut. There was no separate beverage, starter, and dessert course. At midnight, the tray featuring the soup, main course, and fruit bowl was passed out to each business class passenger.

Here is the transcript with corresponding meal pictures.
After Take-off

Soup
Mint Pea Soup with Crème Sour

Main Course
Roasted Filet of Beef with Madeira Sauce, Green beans, Baby carrots, Au Gratin Potatoes
Or
Seared Salmon with Dill Cream Sauce, Cauliflower Rice, Baby Fennel, Green beans, Grilled Artichoke, Grilled Tomato Wedge
Or
Herb Roasted Chicken Breast with Mushroom Parsley Cream Sauce, Oven Roasted Potatoes, sautéed Shimeji Mushroom, Broccoli Floret

For Dessert
Fresh Fruit/Coffee/Tea/Espresso Coffee/Chocolates

Although there was no separate dessert service, the F/As did a tea/coffee/cordial/bottled waters/chocolate run. Duty free, which will be cancelled soon, was offered at 1:18am local time, and then lights were turned off for the rest of the night.

Here are the pictures of the seats in various positions!

Recline one:

Recline two:

Lie Flat:

Lie Flat with beddings – my only comment was that I really wish airlines will make the blanket longer.

I could not sleep much but shut my eyes for a while.

WIFI was available, but the price was pretty steep. This time, I did not need to worry about connection flights.

A couple night shots…

Good Morning

At 4:24am DC time/9:24am Lisbon time, lights were turned back on, and there was a continental breakfast service.
I would say that the breakfast was identical to the SFO one, except the yogurt course was just the typical Upstate Farm’s selection, rather than a yogurt with fruit compote and granola. Breads were offered and I chose a croissant and cinnamon raisin roll this time.

Before Landing

What we have selected for your Breakfast
Cold Cuts and Cheeses/Jam/Butter/Fresh Fruit
Bread and Pastry Selection/Coffee/Tea/Selection of Beverages

At 9:17am, we began our initial descent, but because at ATC congestion, we had to circle around the Portuguese coast line a bit before vectoring towards R/W3 again.

A couple pictures

We landed at 10:59am and parked at a real gate, 142, four minutes later.

TAP staffs were passing out a “Welcome to Lisbon” envelope containing a free bus tour on the Gray Lines here in Lisbon. I preferred inflight certificate but this tour bus ticket possibly made people happier.

I was connecting to a Schengen flight this time, and was initially concerned when I saw the long immigration queue. Thankfully there was a queue for short connection flights. Despite that short connection line also moved slowly as there were a number of passengers, who needed secondary screening, it was still faster than the regular line, which was clogged with lots of people. I really think TAP needs to work on a better solution especially they have plenty of Brazilian and American passengers flying through Lisbon now, and they could not use the electronic passport lines. If you are a non-EU citizen, I will definitely think twice before booking any connection below an hour. If I know about the situation, I will book a later flight. I made it to the 12pm shuttle to Porto but it was lots of rushing.

In conclusion, I am pretty grateful with the opportunities to fly TAP and to experience the new Airbus A330-900 NEO. I think TAP still has some works to do with its catering and facilities at Lisbon airport, but the seats and service are fine. Of course, inaugural flights might not provide the best average example, but the intra-European flights’ service seems to be consistent with the long-haul flights. I don’t think I have problems booking them again. They really offer plenty of reasonable one-way business class fares. However, I think they really need to build a major premium lounge inside the non-Schengen area because I will hesitate to book them on flights to UK and Ireland in the near future. Sure, the transit security was easy but not having a lounge to rest when your body wants to go to sleep was not good. Now I look forward TAP flying to Los Angeles next year.

I hope you enjoy this report!

Carfield
Old Jun 25, 2019, 4:01 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Great report! Thanks for this. The new TAP seats look very nice, and with their very reasonable J prices, it seems like a good option to fly with TAP through Lisbon.
paulkaz likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: TP Gold, *G Star Alliance
Very complete report! Thank you for your effort.

Would also love to see a direct flight between SFO and the Azores, but I'm a little biased...
Old Jun 25, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
Once again, great report, Carfield

We've begun thinking about a really early retirement and Portugal is on the list. So happy to see a nonstop to get us back home to friends and family in SF.

Let's see what transpires.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:04 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Carfield
June 16, 2019
TP 232 Washington DC Dulles to Lisbon Lv2240 Arr1050+1 Airbus A330-200 CS-TOO Fernão de Magalhães

I got a really good spot by the window, and soon CS-TOO, an Airbus A330-200 named after Magellan, landed on time, and headed to gate B49.

The inbound landed at 7:24pm

I've got it from the other side landing Nice to see new airline at IAD.

Old Jul 1, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Great trip report -thank you for sharing ^^
Old Jul 1, 2019, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Thanks for another nice report, Carfield.

On a side note, do you log your flights? If so, how many airlines have you flown so far? I've flown more airlines than most here, but I should imagine you've probably flown more airlines than just about anybody here. Also, have you ever published a listing with links to your many trip reports? We've been blessed to enjoy your prolific reporting for almost 20 years now. It would be nice to be able to quickly locate and review them from time to time should you ever be inclined to make such a listing available..

Thanks again for your ongoing contributions to FT ^
Carfield likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Great TR - I am unaware of any Portuguese community in the Bay Area and I only know one Portuguese cafe in sf (cafe st Jorge, a mile walk from my house... and I’ve still not gone there!)
i had to google David Neeleman - Brazilian Airline investor...
very fun. I couldn’t tell if Port was served on the flight.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest
Great TR - I am unaware of any Portuguese community in the Bay Area and I only know one Portuguese cafe in sf (cafe st Jorge, a mile walk from my house... and I’ve still not gone there!)
It is centered more down in the Central Valley rather than in the Bay Area itself. Think Devin Nunes' district (in fact he is part of it).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.