Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Whisky Trails Trip - Scotland

Whisky Trails Trip - Scotland

Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:29 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Wow, that sounded like one hell of a fantastic trip/adventure!

Good to see the two main things Scotland has, whisky and stunning scenery, come through loud and clear in your TR!
torcross likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:12 pm

Amazing. Thanks for sharing.
torcross likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 5:25 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
As a whisky collector and fanatic who loves fine dining, thanks for sharing! We will be mimicking some of your amazing trip details on our wedding anniversary trip next year. Trip of a lifetime, for sure. Im envious about some of those barrel tastings!
Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: IC RA
Originally Posted by bhrubin
As a whisky collector and fanatic who loves fine dining, thanks for sharing! We will be mimicking some of your amazing trip details on our wedding anniversary trip next year. Trip of a lifetime, for sure. I’m envious about some of those barrel tastings!
As a fanatic whisky collector and drinker I cannot put into words how amazing it was and quite a few times I really had to pinch myself into believing I was not going to wake up, especially in the Brora storage, I thought it was the pinnacle when they said we were going to taste a 40 year old Brora and then they said 'who wants to remove the bung on this 1977 Brora', well etiquette went out the window and I was over to the cask in a shot. Simply amazing, and the food and the wine etc,etc,etc

BTW the difference between the 40 year old from 1979 to the 1977 was amazing, I did know about the earlier years being heavily peated due to the drought on Islay but didn't realise the 1977 was going to be so peated (in a really nice smoky way and not a harsh over the top) but the 1979 (40 year old) had a whiff of smoke at the most.

Anything you need to know don't hesitate to contact.
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by torcross; Jun 18, 2019 at 1:26 am Reason: extra text
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:47 am

Amazing report, thanks for sharing.
torcross likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:06 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Excellent trip report. I loved your photos and detailed listings of wines and whiskys.
torcross likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:34 am

Programs: A* Gold, OW Sapphire, Thalys Platinum, Accor Gold, member of BahnBonus
I thought I would not be prone to become jealous.
I was so, so, SO wrong!

Being a whisky, beer and food fanatic, this trip really seems to be the promised "trip of a lifetime" from my point of view. Having visited my fair share of distilleries so far, I envy you because of Brora.

But then again: I will be flying to Edinburgh in 2 days and we are already booked tables at "The Lookout" and "The KItchen". And 5 weeks ago, I was sitting at Martin Wishart ... so ... first world complains ... ;-)
torcross and bhrubin like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:56 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Perhaps the greatest whisky experience weve ever had was barrel tasting at Glenfiddich and Balvenie with the Rare Brands manager at the timestill one of our very close friends. Sampling from old casks of Balvenie and Glenfiddich was amazing. But sampling from one particular 48 year old cask of Glenfiddich truly was sublimeespecially when you realized that it was bottled only a few years later as part of the 50 yo release that cost a fortune!

We also returned a few years later as part of a bachelor partyincluding a trip up from Islay to Elgin where we enjoyed special barrel and bottle tastings from so many distilleries where our friends had connections. Amazing experiences drinking some very old and rare whiskies.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.