Original Poster

Programs: Many
AY 6
JFK-HEL
Airbus A330-300
OH-LTU
Seat 4L (J)
Flight #49 of 2019

I am getting REAL familiar with AY's A330 fleet. I thought this one looked familiar, so I checked my notes, and I had previously flown OH-LTU on 11/12/18 in seat 4A on AY 5 (HEL-JFK) and on 12/11/18 on AY 6 in the same seat (4L).

I got to the gate at JFK a few minutes before boarding began and sat down. When they called group 1, I was just about to proceed to the jetway when the gate agent informed me that a document check was needed. So, it was off to the side, docs OK, back on line, finally on the plane. When I arrived at 4L, I noticed the VERY taciturn and portly guy behind me in 5L trying to jam his carry-on into my overhead since he had filled his entire overhead with a sombrero he was transporting home for some reason. Eventually, one of the FAs noticed his distress and offered to stow his sombrero in the closet. He seemed suspicious and wary of this offer, but ultimately accepted and we all got our bags put away.

I had recently flown HEL-JFK on AY, ~10 days earlier and there was little to nothing loaded in the IFE worth watching. Since we had just kicked off a new month, I hoped that there would be a new slate of choices. Much to my chagrin, I was greeted with the exact same lineup of movies as late May...nothing new. From the previously compiled list of possible movie choices, I had one left, and since this was a US-Europe overnight, only one movie to accompany the meal service would be necessary, then lights out.

The movie "I Origins" which I had never heard of before was pretty good. It won't knock your socks off, but if you're bored, low on options and it's loaded in the IFE, give it a go.

On to the meal service. Things kicked off with a scallop and sundried tomato amuse bouche that was very tasty. Both starter options looked appealing, I went with the chicken and potato option and it was in line with the high standards Finnair have established of late with their in flight dining. The Wagyu Beef and potato puree was also top notch, although I have my doubts as to whether or not the beef was actually "wagyu" as it seemed braised and covered in sauce. A questionable method of preparing high quality beef if true. I was too full for cheese, but managed the chocolate crunch cake which was also delicious and rounded out the meal nicely. Since I started the movie before we were airborne, the end of the film synced up fairly nicely with the end of the meal service and bed time.

The even numbered L seats are the best in the cabin on the A330 in my opinion. The odd numbered L side seats have you sleeping basically in the aisle, the middle pairs leave you with a seatmate and while the A side "thrones" are popular with some, I find them to be torture chambers. If you are in one of the "thrones" with tables on both sides of your seat, when you recline to bed mode it's impossible to sleep in any position other than flat on your back, as you're boxed in on both sides. The "L" seats by comparison have the table only on one side, so the seat feels sufficiently private, and still leaves you the option to sleep on your side and not be totally immobilized. 2L is my favorite, but 4L is also good.

After the meal, I put the seat back, eyeshade on and slept for a good ~5 hours. When I woke up we were 1h12m from landing. Earlier in the flight, I had requested not to be woken up for the pre-arrival service, but as I was already awake 1h+ before landing, I found it a bit odd that none of the FAs asked if i'd like breakfast or even a cup of coffee.

It was a sunny morning in Helsinki, and we landed and taxied to the gate, parking next to OH-LTS, another AY A330 that I flew in late 2018. I've said it before and i'll say it again, Helsinki is one of my favorite airports. It's clean, efficient, never feels "jammed" and it's (knock on wood) almost always hassle free. Shortly after deplaning, I was at immigration, where I had to try to explain to the agent that while the HEL-JFK portion of my ticket wasn't until Dec., I would not be staying in Finland for all that time.

There is some construction going on around arrivals, so the app ride pickup area has been moved from where it was in late 2018. It took me a minute to find it, but that was all in the way of minor hassles. There's even a conveniently located Starbucks at arrivals so you can grab a coffee on your way out of the airport and into Helsinki.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Hotel Kamp, Helsinki Day 1

The Hotel Kamp is my favorite hotel in Scandinavia. I first stayed there back in 2006, and have stayed at the Kamp on every subsequent visit to Helsinki. Many of them are only short 1-2 day stops, but I would guess I have stayed at the hotel 10-12 times by now. In all that time, they have managed to upgrade me on all of my previous stays. I suppose all good things must come to an end. My luck finally ran out on this stay and I was *gasp* actually made to stay in the room class I booked. I suppose into every life some rain must fall.

As an indication that perhaps I have been staying at this hotel too frequently, I was greeted by name when I got out of my taxi. When I got to the check-in desk, I reached for my passport as usual and was told that would not be necessary as they had all of my information already. I then went for the credit card and was again told it wouldn't be necessary as they had that on file as well. The check-in guy apologized for not being able to upgrade me, as the hotel was fully booked, but on the plus side noted that my room was ready for early check-in.

The room, #620 , was actually quite nice as far as the "Deluxe" rooms go. It was pretty spacious and most importantly still had a big bathtub. No view.

As mentioned, I have been to Helsinki many times, and I can't ever recall seeing it so jammed with tourists. There's also some sort of UN conference going on in Espoo, so perhaps that is adding to the congestion. On the way from the airport to the hotel, I was stuck in a proper traffic jam for 15-20 minutes, that's a new one for Helsinki.

It was nearly noon by the time I got up to my room and even though I'd slept on the plane, I figured a nap was in order. I shut the curtains, put my eye mask back on and slept until 5pm. When the alarm went off, I went to the excellent gym at the hotel, took a nice long bath and went to go meet an old friend for drinks. We used to play ice hockey together in America, he's Finnish and eventually moved back to Helsinki. We started at Teurastamo because they have a terrace for outdoor beers, then continued a short walk away to a small brewery with an outdoor seating area to catch up, BS about various other guys we used to play with and what they're up to now, etc...It was a very pleasant evening, and we parted with plans to organize some of the guys to skate in a tournament in Amsterdam, where one of our other former teammates had settled.

The sun doesn't set until ~10:30pm in Helsinki these days, so while I got in a taxi a bit after "sunset" it felt like it was still quite early. I popped into the bar at the Kamp for a nightcap and briefly considered ringing some other friends up and trying to make a proper night of it, but then decided discretion was the better part of valor and turned in to get more much desired sleep.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:49 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Helsinki Day 2

I woke up early, couldn't sleep. Still jetlagged perhaps. I spent hours wandering around the downtown core of Helsinki. Apparently this is the first really warm week of the year, and the streets were electric. EVERYONE in the city wanted to be outside in the sun and greenery with a drink in their hand. Wonderful vibe, made it tough to move on to Paris. I was very tempted to pop into a cafe and grab a beer, but my hangover from the previous evening's activity was still with me, and I didn't want to feel that way in transit the following day.

In addition to my aimless wandering, another Finnish hockey buddy had been hassling me for weeks insisting that I try Koti Pizza on my trip to Helsinki. He insisted it was "amazing." I caved to his peer pressure and gave it a go. While it was edible, I can't imagine why anyone would use "amazing" to describe it.

I'm still kicking myself for not picking up one of the "MAKE HELSINKI GREAT AGAIN" hats from the food and craft market in the harbor, but I will be back in Helsinki in a week and a half, perhaps I will have a second bite at the apple.

After thoroughly wearing myself out, I retired to Hotel Kamp in hopes of firing up slingbox and watching the final episode of Chernobyl, only to find that some error with my slingbox, or godawful Time Warner Cable (They call themselves Spectrum now?) meant that on-demand was not available. There was no way I was going to manage to stay awake until Blues/Bruins Game 5, so I frittered the time away planning intricate, unnecessary and absurd trips for 2020. A friend asked if I wanted to meet for cocktails in the center...IGNORE, another friend was at a party up the street at Teatteri and implored me to come join...IGNORE. I wrote them back the following morning and told them I had already fallen asleep when they wrote to me, no harm in white lies .

I did not sleep well the second night either, I was up at 6am, and couldn't force myself back to bed. I gave up on trying around 7, went down to breakfast and figured I might as well get on with the day.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 11:03 am
Suspended
Original Poster

AY 1575
HEL-CDG
Airbus A319-100
OH-LVD
Seat 10A (Y)
Flight #50 of 2019

FINALLY headed back to Paris! I have been living in Paris off and on for~10 years. While my "home" is NYC, Paris is my second home, and it's now been 5 months since I was last there. On that last visit, in December, I was throwing away half the crap in my apartment and putting the rest of it in storage so that a full gut renovation could be done. The estimate, when work began, was that it would be wrapped up by early May, but of course...this is France, so here we are still working in June and my best case scenario is to have things done when I return for summer in mid-July...fingers crossed.

I decided not to bother with uber and grabbed one of the cabs perennially standing outside of Hotel Kamp and took off for the airport. It was a glorious day in Helsinki, the warmest so far.

Once at T2, I went to the AY priority check-in desks. I'd booked a coach ticket and selected an exit row window at time of booking, but I figured I would check out the cost to upgrade to biz, just for posterity. The agent quoted me 180 euro, not terrible for a 3 hour and 5 minute flight. While I mulled it over, I asked if there were any windows left, as I have a strong preference for window seats. There were not. That, plus the middle seat of my exit row being empty at check-in and AY's policy of trying to block empty seats next to Emeralds sealed it. I figured i'd keep my extra leg room, hope the middle remained empty and travel in more comfort for less $.

AY has a premium security setup at HEL, it's up the escalator after check-in. There were only a handful of people there and it was a breeze. I was even luckier than usual today, as we were leaving from gate 23 which is both right after security and right underneath the AY lounge. I dropped my bags, went down to the other side of the terminal to get a cold brew from Espresso House, then tried my best to comfortably while the time away until boarding. AY's lounge is all white and very Scandinavian. It could use a bit more seating, but otherwise it was pretty good.

The task of comfortably awaiting departure however ended up being a more difficult than usual. There was a sad old American boomer, easily in his mid-60s with tattoos and a pathetic ponytail who kept talking loudly on his cell phone to, I assume friends back home, about how much he drank and how his friend got in a fight. I'm not sure if he thought loudly boasting about this made him seem tough and or cool, but it was really pretty pathetic. He followed this up by watching baseball on his phone at max volume with no headphones...some people. No manners.

The airline related good luck continued, but only briefly. Boarding started perhaps 30 seconds after I arrived at the gate. I got on board, stowed my carry on and continued to hope the middle would remain empty. It did not. While the middle on the OTHER side of the aisle remained empty, we were fully subscribed. Still, at least there was ample legroom, better than eurobiz!

I was pretty beat, so I slid an eyemask on and slept for almost the entirety of the flight. As we descended down into the gray gloom of CDG, it seemed that we were using a lot of yaw to stay centered on final, and lots of power adjustments were needed. Out of curiosity, I checked the METAR for DeGaulle after landing and the winds were 21G36...I would say the flight crew earned their pay today, and still managed to grease it on. Well done Finnair!

Finnair comes into Terminal 2D at CDG. As it's a Schengen to Schengen flight, there's no immigration, you are off the plane and at the curbside in about 2 minutes. Today uber was even queued up and it was a sub-3 minute wait for that. The traffic from CDG into the city was another story.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 10:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Paris

Not much to report thus far. Catching up with friends and doing INCREDIBLY exiting stuff like picking out new flatware and bed sheets. The renovation seems to be progressing and everything should be set for me to move back in next month, so that's lovely. Wonderful to be back after a 5 month absence. It's a pleasure just to wander around the city.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 9:33 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Back to Helsinki tomorrow. I suppose some people might enjoy spending 10 days staining floors, buying dishes and glasses, etc... but I am NOT one of those people it seems. Had a few good nights out with friends at least. Found some enjoyable new restaurants (for those so inclined):

- Grand Couer (lamb shoulder) [4e]
- Le Bon Saint Pourcain (menu changes daily) [6e]
Old Jun 16, 2019, 12:44 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Sheltair Lounge CDG

Got to CDG quite early, AY check-in desks weren't even open yet (they open 2 hours before first departure of the day I think). I think this was *THE* fastest I have ever made it from central Paris to CDG before. Probably 20-30 minutes door to door. I had checked in online, so I went right to security. There's a No.1 Access line, but it didn't save much time. This Finnair flight is ex-CDG 2D which is a pretty spartan little terminal. Not even a place to cop an iced coffee sadly. The only lounge option is the Sheltair Lounge which has some agreements to take various airline premium pax as well as those with Priority Pass. It's not much of a lounge. There's a decent amount of seating, and it's blissfully empty, but there's not much in the way of F&B, like even the drink selection is pretty much water, OJ or tomato juice. As for food there's a table with pain au chocolate, rolls and some cereal and a tray of turkey, salami and cheese in one of the fridges. At least the wifi works and the lounge is right next to the gate Finnair departs from!

On to Helsinki this afternoon, a return visit to Hotel Kamp, maybe catch up with some friends. Tomorrow I will (hopefully) sleep LATE, get a late checkout and then head to HEL to get ready for a looooong A350 ride to SIN. Will update on the CDG-HEL installment from Helsinki. I wanted to inquire about a buyup to biz for this flight, to at least provide a data point even if the offer was unreasonable, but like I said...the desks weren't open and I didn't want to sit landside and wait for them. I will try asking at the gate but I doubt they will be able to sort it. We'll see!
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:13 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
EF is showing J2 for HEL-SIN on the 16th, so there's a (slim) chance of a buy-up. I'm assuming you didn't get a text or e-mail with an upgrade offer? You might find the following thread informative.
Please post your upgrade offers

From the Wiki:
Longhaul
SIN-HEL 248, 348, 348
HEL-SIN 499, 499, 348, 349€
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:21 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
EF is showing J2 for HEL-SIN on the 16th, so there's a (slim) chance of a buy-up. I'm assuming you didn't get a text or e-mail with an upgrade offer? You might find the following thread informative.
Please post your upgrade offers

From the Wiki:
TY, but I am ALL set for the HEL-SIN segment (tomorrow 6/17), already booked in J. Was considering a buy up for the CDG-HEL portion today but i'll probably just stick with the exit row regardless of the offer (if they can give me a price at the gate). Thx again! The HEL-SIN segment is part of the YYZ-JFK-HEL-SIN, HKG-HEL-LHR-YYZ AY J ticket. This is the back end of a separate HEL-CDG-HEL AY Y ticket.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:23 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
TY, but I am ALL set for the HEL-SIN segment (tomorrow 6/17), already booked in J. Was considering a buy up for the CDG-HEL portion today but i'll probably just stick with the exit row regardless of the offer (if they can give me a price at the gate). Thx again! The HEL-SIN segment is part of the YYZ-JFK-HEL-SIN, HKG-HEL-LHR-YYZ AY J ticket. This is the back end of a separate HEL-CDG-HEL AY Y ticket.
LOL. Read your post way too quickly. Good luck!
Old Jun 16, 2019, 2:02 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
LOL. Read your post way too quickly. Good luck!
No luck! Went to the gate and they said they can't process upgrades there. Only way is to call Finnair's call center and have them reticket and the flight is close to being closed. Looks sold out in coach and 4 seats open in J. Not worth it. Exit Row it is.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:38 am
Suspended
Original Poster

AY 1572
CDG-HEL
Airbus A321-200
OH-LZL
Seat 10A (Economy)
Flight #51 of 2019

After a very productive 9-10 days in Paris, it was time to get moving again. I had originally planned to see about a buy up from Y to J for this flight, but when I got to CDG 2D, the AY check-in desks were not open. Apparently they open 2 hours before departure. I didn't want to wait around, and I had checked in online the night before, so I went through security and up to the lounge.

The ONLY option in 2D is the Sheltair Lounge. It's a Priority Pass Lounge that welcomes PP Card Holders as well as premium pax from a smattering of airlines. While it was a hardly a worldbeater, it was never crowded at any point during my time there, so at least there's that. They had water, OJ and a limited # of canned drinks available from a fridge. There was also yogurt, and some suspicious sliced fruits in said fridge. Around the corner, a table had pain au chocolate, some bread and cereal and a nearby fridge contained a tray with salami, turkey and cheese. I've certainly been to worse places.

Around 50 minutes before departure I popped down to the gate, which had changed from D56 to D54, to ask about the cost of a possible buy up. The agent told me they couldn't process buy ups at the gate and I would have to call the Finnair call center and she expressed concern over that being possible since the flight was close to being closed. That all sounded like a YUUUUUGE hassle for Eurobiz on a short flight, so I decided I'd just stick with my exit row. OH WHAT A WONDERFUL choice it was.

By the time I returned to the gate at the printed boarding time, the process had already begun (early at CDG!? madness). When I got on board, I saw that row 2 of Eurobiz (the only one available preflight, only 2 rows offered on this flight) has INCREDIBLY tight pitch. I patted myself on the back for not pushing the buy up. Then things got even better. The AY A321's (or at least THIS A321) have a similar layout to the old legacy US Airbii where the row in front of the Exit Row has no window seat. I was in 10A, the Exit Row window. The with NO SEAT AT ALL in front of me in Row 9, I was greeted with almost unlimited legroom. I was a VERY happy camper.

The flight was completely full. I checked EF before boarding hoping to find open seats in my row, but it looked like the entire coach cabin was sold out (row 2 eurobiz did show available).

What more can be said about a 2h25m intra-euro flight. I started reading an excellent book called "Dead Wake' about the sinking of the Lusitania, then got sleepy and nodded off for an hour or so. The FA woke me up to move my seat back to upright as we began our descent and shortly thereafter we were taxiing back up to the terminal at HEL. It sure feels like I am here a lot.
mad_atta likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:49 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Hotel Kamp, Helsinki

As noted in an earlier installment, I have been a frequent guest of the Hotel Kamp over the years, and in all that time, my previous visit in early June was the first time there were unable to offer me an upgrade. I think they felt a little guilty about it, and they made up for it BIGLY on this return 1-night stay.

After landing at HEL, I grabbed a coffee from Starbucks, went over to the app ride pickup area and was quickly on my way to town. It was a bit after 3pm but the time I got to the Kamp. In my hotel profile, I have noted a preference for Room #814 , which is my favorite room at the hotel. It's a junior suite with a long hallway, a huge bathroom and views over the Esplanade Park. As the check-in agent handed me my key, I was VERY please to see #814 . I always book the cheapest Deluxe category room, so this was perhaps a 3-4 class upgrade. Have I mentioned how much I love this hotel?

After dropping my bags in the room, I went for a long walk. I started down in the harbor, where I managed to snag a "MAKE HELSINKI GREAT AGAIN" hat, then continued back up Esplanade, through the park after Stockman and pretty far down Bulevardi before swinging out wide and coming back past Helsinki Cathedral and to the hotel.

Once back at the hotel, I got in a long full body workout, before taking a lovely bath (with KAMP green duck of course), then decided on a few cocktails at the Kamp Bar. Sunset was close to 11pm, though the sun never truly went down before rising again at 3:53am. During this part of the year, you get a blue twilight overhead with pink and orange on the horizon but no real darkness. It's a wonderful time to visit. Helsinki is an amazing city and one that seems to be getting more and more visitors. My only regret, was that this stay was so very short.

I write to you now from the NEW and RECENTLY OPENED Platinum Wing Lounge at HEL. The Kamp was nice enough to extend my checkout until 4pm, so at 4, I took off for the airport. There is a business class section of the lounge, and a dedicated section for AY Plats and OW Emeralds. There's a beautiful bar, many seating areas and enhanced food offerings. I will upload a few pictures. Later i'll explore the biz side. Flying tonight from HEL to SIN in the AY J minicabin. Hope they have updated the IFE!
mad_atta likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:54 am
Suspended
Original Poster

NEW FINNAIR PLATINUM WING @ HEL

Old Jun 20, 2019, 5:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

NOTE: I don't take a ton of pictures and i'm just writing text reviews here but if there's something I mention (hotel, lounge, seat, etc...) that you have a particular interest in just ask for pics and if I have some I will post them in this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.