Search

A Class beyond First : LH J, LX J/F and SQ Suites

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2019, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF Plat Ultimate, BA GGL, MS Elite
A Class beyond First : LH J, LX J/F and SQ Suites

Dear Flyertalkers,

Back to Cairo for a First Class "deal" which I believe and all things considered it’s not really a deal.
In September 2017 I snagged a ticket with LX and SQ in First for 3200€. Factoring the positioning flights to CAI (though I used my miles to get to CAI but then canceled and bought a TK flight), it's hardly a heck of a deal. Then why all the hassles ? It was the only way to fly SQ Suite and LX combined. I could have transferred my Amex points to SQ FFP but there was no way for me to fly LX with miles since I'm not a Miles and More member. With what happened to those booking LX F with Aeroplan when the tiny window opened "by mistake", it was safer to buy the ticket outright.

You'd think that's easy… because you can fly when you want… Well, not exactly..

In June (3 months prior to take off) I burned some of my Egyptair Miles to fly CDG-CAI on the 5th of Sep that would leave me a good 6h transit before my LX flight.

However in July, I received a mail, saying that my schedule changed. I'm due to fly CAI-ZRH on the 5th at 2pm ! With an overnight stay at ZRH.

While I could change my MS flight to the 4th. I wanted to get alternatives.

Now when I made the booking, I used opodo.. And dealing with opodo was far from easy. After nearly 1h45 minutes I managed to get someone but only offered me to fly Business with TK…

With that issue, I tweeted LX asking one question : Do you provide accommodation in ZRH for the overnight transit?
I went to sleep. When I woke up at 5am, LX team replied. But it was not the reply I was expected. They changed my LX flight to LH !

The purpose of my ticket was to try LX new F lounge and their F on the 777. LH First can be easily booked with miles.
I called LX to deny their proposal.
It’s where things got nuts. LX told me to call Opodo… I supposed that LX took over my case.. I called Opodo and reach an agent after 1h30 on hold. I simply asked the agent to put me back on my LX flight on the 5th and would deal with accommodation in ZRH on my own.. I was told impossible. What ? They told me they can only do CAI-ZRH-SIN on the 5th, meaning I would arrive in SIN one day before plus spending just few hours in the lounge. My wife flying from China is coming on the 7th with no way for her to arrive one day earlier. I eventually hanged up and called LX. I had one agent that simply said there is nothing I can do..

I waited a bit and called back. I finally managed to get a competent agent from their South African office who nailed my issue in 2 min.
He was quite surprised to hear what happened to me. I suggested to fly LH to ZRH and back to LX to SIN. After being on hold for 2 min, he told me, the ticket is now being issued and got the mail after 5 min. Well done buddy.
FYI LX will reimburse the accommodation if you face similar troubles. I would have expected LX to give voucher upon arrival in ZRH.

I'm quite satisfied with the new booking that will give me the opportunity to get both the FCT in FRA and the FCL in ZRH.

I arrived in the morning with TK prior to my 5am flight with LH and stayed in Le Meridien paid by my SPG points (only 3000 !).

For the full report in English or French, click here:
https://www.youtripreport.com/reportdetails?Id=804

LH585 – 4h20 flying time – Sep 6th 2018

My room where I spent the day resting before a restless night.

I left the hotel at 2am to check in.
Check-in was smooth and the agent wished me a lovely flight.

Back to MS lounge. And made my way to the lounge. Being a very maybe too much FF with MS the lounge remains a shame no matter what. I really hope that MS will one day uplift their game.
FYI MS revamped their lounges in CAI few months ago.

Security is also done at the gate and it’s quite a pain..

Check the time... Boarding is about to start.

What a great seat.... Skytrax gave a 5* to LH while downgraded TK to 3. What the F....

I assigned myself to the first row on the right.

I just took the tray for the report and tasted few bites of each. Fair meal.

Thanks god we’re landing.. because I’m a tad exhausted.

Hum we parked at a remote stand but did not care much.. I let you guess why..

Coming up shorty… First Class Terminal and a short hop to ZRH…
Thanks for reading
offerendum and AJO like this.
Old May 26, 2019, 2:26 am
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Thank you milesaddict for sharing this interesting routing and TR.

Can't believe the ordeal that you went through and you are flying F. LX should have gotten your consensus before making any changes to your schedule.

The MS lounge in CAI is very functional but nothing else. For being a hub lounge one should expect more.

The LH meal in J looks fine but a bigger plane with better cabin would have been preferable.

Looking forward to your FTC report.
offerendum likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aw
Thank you milesaddict for sharing this interesting routing and TR.

Can't believe the ordeal that you went through and you are flying F. LX should have gotten your consensus before making any changes to your schedule.

The MS lounge in CAI is very functional but nothing else. For being a hub lounge one should expect more.

The LH meal in J looks fine but a bigger plane with better cabin would have been preferable.

Looking forward to your FTC report.
Thank you AW for your comment. Oh well, thanks god it was sorted (quickly). For the lounge in CAI, I don't expect anything. Even with the revamped one it's still sub-par.
Old May 26, 2019, 8:40 am
Original Poster

FCT experience :)

LH1190 FRA-ZRH – 1h flying time – Sep 6th 2018

For the full report in English or French, click here:https://www.youtripreport.com/reportdetails?Id=806

As soon as I have left the plane from CAI the driver was waiting for me. Took my luggage to put it in the truck.

As soon as settled in in the very comfy car I was asked where I wanted to go. FCT or regular FCL. If you decide to go to the FCT the driver will only drop you to the immigration and you will have to make your way to the lounge. Once you leave immigration make a left and keep straight and you'll see cabs and then you will see the FCL. Thanks FT for the tip !

It was my first time in the FCT I have been to the FCL back in 2011. So it was good to check out how the Terminal stands out.

When I arrived it was still the breakfast buffet.

The bar will almost all drinks you can dream of.

I asked if I could get the bathroom with the famous bathtub. After all I want to experience the whole thing The ducks I took are ready !

After a great bath, it was time to eat.

Delicious Ham.

I picked few items to taste.

All good.

I take the beef once again and it was outstanding.

Let see the cave.

After such a treat it was already time to board. I was informed by the agent from the lounge that we are boarding.

Down to another ride to the plane !

After a short ride the driver dropped me in front of the plane and we took the stairs to reach the plane.

Such a lovely cabin... But it does the job well for such a short flight.

The tray was handed out I took it solely fo rthe purpose of the report and ate few bites. So so.

I'm delighted to have experienced the FCT. Yes, it's nothing like AF FCL but it's on my top 3.
The flight itself, is a regular one for a short hop. See you soon for an underwhelming LX First Class lounge experience...
AJO and uncleflori like this.

Last edited by milesaddict; May 26, 2019 at 9:10 am
Old May 27, 2019, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Looking forward to underwhelming LX....
Old May 27, 2019, 10:57 am

I guess you bought the tickets on September 2018 (not 2017)?
I have been once on LX FCL and I still rate the food as the best I´ve had on any lounge (never been to AF FCL), so I´m curious how your experience is going to be.
Old May 29, 2019, 10:26 am
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
I love the LH FCT. Not much has changed since my last visit there a couple of years ago.

The meal aboard on the other hand is kind of underwhelming. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to more.
Old May 29, 2019, 7:27 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Wow, LH's F class lounge looks amazing. I'm also impressed that LH serves a meal on short flights, consistently. Even though it's not much, it's something, and way better than a snack basket that is passed around on domestic US flights in F.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by 757
I'm also impressed that LH serves a meal on short flights, consistently. Even though it's not much, it's something, and way better than a snack basket that is passed around on domestic US flights in F.
Outside the USA this is, of course, standard for just about any airline I can think of.
offerendum likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 5:13 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
waiting for the rest
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Carq
I guess you bought the tickets on September 2018 (not 2017)?
I have been once on LX FCL and I still rate the food as the best I´ve had on any lounge (never been to AF FCL), so I´m curious how your experience is going to be.
Nope, end of sep 2017. Posting now. Was really looking forward to it but well, bad luck I would say.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Outside the USA this is, of course, standard for just about any airline I can think of.
Yes, on short haul I tend to prefer LX catering over LH.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 757
Wow, LH's F class lounge looks amazing. I'm also impressed that LH serves a meal on short flights, consistently. Even though it's not much, it's something, and way better than a snack basket that is passed around on domestic US flights in F.
Thanks for the comment. FCL is indeed great Book yourself enough time to enjoy the food. Oh well domestic flights in F are really underwhelming. Even In business on my AA JKF-LAX meal.. better not to serve any.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Swiss First Class Lounge and First to Singapore

LX 176 – First Class – 12h flying time – Sep 6th 2018

For the full report in English or French, click here:

https://www.youtripreport.com/reportdetails?Id=812

Last time I flew LX in First was in 2012 so quite a long time ago and I only flew the 340 and 330. The 777 takes LX FC to another level and on par with the current FC on major airlines. I also was looking forward to their new First Class Lounge.

Is LX overrated? Let's find out.I arrived from FRA to the Terminal A. I went there to get the transfer to the E gates.

After a short ride I'm eventually there. Upon check-in I requested a room.

Stunning bed and view

Before taking a well-deserved nap it was time to explore the lounge.

Unfortunately the terrace was closed..

Let’s head to the restaurant

The service was underwhelmed at best and the menu not inspiring. It was close to 3pm. In most restaurants, the rule is simple if there is a dish shortage on the menu, you tell upfront. The soup was excellent and so were the raviolis.

Unfortunately most of the meals were out of stock..... it's 3 pm..Instead of saying what's left I was picking and the waiter just said no over and over... Ping pong discussion... As much as I love and practice Ping-Pong this is not First Class experience. The most disappointing thing was the main, I was left with only fondue option or get more starters... Great ! As you can see I took ground beef and it was a bad choices...

Alas, since I can't get to the terrace, I left the lounge to go to the roof top.

Fast forward it was time to board

The cabin is sleek and modern

Let’s start with appetizer.

The screen is huge

The table is set

I got 3 rounds of balik…

The captain came during the service but the conversation was so long and passionate with the captain that the crew had to re-heat it again.

I take the desert to top off an excellent meal.

Exhausted, it was time ti experience the comfy bedding. I managed to sleep over 8h !

After a good night sleep it was time to eat again

When I talked to the captain. He invited me to the flight deck after landing.. I was like a kid...

Summary:
On the one hand, I had a near perfect flight with a great crew and food and on the other the Lounge was a disappointing experience. I guess I had too much expectations:
The pros :
- The view
- The bedroom is a big plus when you have a long layover
The cons:
- The food was so so, many items missing and it was only 3pm...
- The terrace was closed for no reason.. And remained closed throughout my stay.
- Staff, once again I was hoping for a stellar service but instead they were arrogant and condescending.

It was surely a bad day but not something you would expect when you fly LX.
The crew on my flight deserved a 10. I loved chatting with the Captain for nearly 30 min and gave me a chance to seat on the 777 cockpit.
Carfield likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
love your TR and look forward to reading it all in due course

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.