Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

TWA HOTEL at JFK + UA787-10eco FRA-EWR (w/ photos + video)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TWA HOTEL at JFK + UA787-10eco FRA-EWR (w/ photos + video)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:04 am

Thank you for sharing.
I live in NYC and had considered a Staycation on opening day, and am now glad I chose to wait a couple months.
DominikBlasko likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
I am sorry of the poor experience you had, but I never book a new hotel until at least three months of being opened. There are always growing pains (things need to be worked through) from not being used before and not everything can be tested before opening. I am not one who needs to be the "first" at something and will wait so I can have the best experience possible.
DominikBlasko likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IsleSeat
Thank you for this terrific report, Dom. I am going back to the old TWA Terminal days and I remember all of this vividly. Thanks again!
You are very welcome! Glad it brought you back nice memories
Old Jun 9, 2019, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MimiB22
I flew via TWA in that terminal and of course, have nostalgic memories of a more gracious travels. We all know how things have deteriorated, and why.

I would add a general comment about reservations at new hospitality venues, be they restaurants, attractions or hotels. Don't expect your experience to be seamless perfection. As a more mature customer and patron, I've seen it all. Of course employees should be adequately trained and prepared. Of course, customers have a right to honesty and consideration. Of course the venue's promotional enticements should be accurate. Of course customers have a right to expect their concerns and issues are addressed properly. But in the real world, there will be disappointments and problems during soft openings.

Dom, I'm surprised at your naivety as you seem well traveled. Lesson learned? I'm pleased to read that the hotel responded to your communication and offered compensation. That's another lesson for patrons and guests. If a hotel doesn't perform as promised, let management know. Desk clerks are not usually motivated [or able] to make things right. Always insist on speaking to management.
Hey, thanks for the comment. I guess I can say now that yes, a lesson has been learnt. The majority of people commenting are saying the same "don't expect a brand new business to run without problems" "growing pains" etc. and I agree with that and have an understanding for it too. But when I hear that, I think of problems such as there is maybe an amenity kit missing from the bathroom, or the hairdryer does not work etc. Things you can do without. But a continuous misleading that some of us guests went through is a rather major issue. They were for ex. marketing the rooftop pool on their website (an amazing render image that they also sent out to major media platforms) and taking reservations for it online as if it was ready for guests from the opening day when in reality it was not even finished. I just cannot see it as a "growing pain" problem. It's false/misleading marketing. That is kind of a big failure in the communication department. Another ex. of that is the info that this was a soft opening. It was communicated nowhere. If I knew, I would have waited with a booking. I don't expect seamless perfection on day 1, but these are things that in my view go beyond the "growing pains".
Anyway, I know life happens, it's not such a big deal at the end. Even though far from my expectations, thanks to the unique nature of the Flight Centre building I still had a nice experience and their response to my complaint letter was swift and I did not even expect a full refund. So, let's hope for the best for them.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 7:03 am

Just left a stay at TWA Hotel. Let's just say it's the hotel equivalent of the current US administration. What a s**tshow. It's been open a few months and the red carpet is stained with who knows what, gum, and worse. Why any hotel would pick a monochromatic carpet capable of showing all imperfections puzzles me. The horrible food and bev choices match the horrible service. Avoid this place like the plague.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 4:17 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by acker
Just left a stay at TWA Hotel. Let's just say it's the hotel equivalent of the current US administration. What a s**tshow. It's been open a few months and the red carpet is stained with who knows what, gum, and worse. Why any hotel would pick a monochromatic carpet capable of showing all imperfections puzzles me. The horrible food and bev choices match the horrible service. Avoid this place like the plague.
It's a shame they haven't gotten their act together.

I visited the hotel last week before my flight and loved seeing the architecture of the TWA terminal, with my sole interaction being with the friendly staff at the gift shop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.