Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

TWA HOTEL at JFK + UA787-10eco FRA-EWR (w/ photos + video)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TWA HOTEL at JFK + UA787-10eco FRA-EWR (w/ photos + video)

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2019, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am SHOCKED, I tell you SHOCKED that things didn’t run smoothly on, what, the first night of operations.
BahrainLad and MimiB22 like this.
Old May 27, 2019, 6:12 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I am SHOCKED, I tell you SHOCKED that things didn’t run smoothly on, what, the first night of operations.
Its not about the opening night. They are simply not finished and should never have opened. They have failed to let people know that pool is not open, rooms not finished, they lie, they cant provide food etc etc. They now clearly admit they will not officially open till September, yet they still refuse to show this on the website.
PACLipper, Carfield and robnbrwn like this.
Old May 27, 2019, 11:27 pm

Thanks for the report1

Opening nights at new hotels are often rough, but in this case, it is beyond teething problems. Let's be frank - three hours check in time and no hot water are not minor issues.
They are simply not ready to open - perhaps for another month or so.

Most hotels offer soft opening rates, in anticipate issues that most hotels will face. But not TWA hotel... they pretty much sell all their rooms at a premium price from day one.
I don't know if the management is just over-optimistic or they are run by folks, who have never open a new hotel.

I have an one night stay in mid-June and have already used resy to book dinner. I expect the worst now but my only demand is that they will honor my runway view room, since I pay that rate.

Carfield
PACLipper likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Thank you for taking the time to share your report! I am sorry to say I had almost exactly the same experience as you - including runway view room not honored, and a long wait at check in. The room I was allocated had many issues (non working TV , broken lights etc). I felt completely ripped off by the hotel and the staff were frankly awful to deal with. They behaved as though I should somehow be grateful to be staying there, instead of apologizing and making amends for the woeful state of the operation. They simply don't deserve the business... It's the first and last time I'll be staying with them.
DominikBlasko likes this.

Last edited by BA1321; May 28, 2019 at 6:46 pm
Old May 28, 2019, 10:06 pm

Sorry you had such a poor experience, especially after travelling so far. First night of operations was always going to be a risk, but you were treated extremely poorly.

Thanks for posting.
Old May 29, 2019, 1:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Carfield
Thanks for the report1

Opening nights at new hotels are often rough, but in this case, it is beyond teething problems. Let's be frank - three hours check in time and no hot water are not minor issues.
They are simply not ready to open - perhaps for another month or so.

Most hotels offer soft opening rates, in anticipate issues that most hotels will face. But not TWA hotel... they pretty much sell all their rooms at a premium price from day one.
I don't know if the management is just over-optimistic or they are run by folks, who have never open a new hotel.

I have an one night stay in mid-June and have already used resy to book dinner. I expect the worst now but my only demand is that they will honor my runway view room, since I pay that rate.

Carfield
Hey Carfield,

let's just stay optimistic, hopefully your stay will be a success. In case there would be a problem with the rooms with the runway view, I recommend you ask for a room with the view of the Flight centre, it must be the second best view they offer. When you are done, get back to us here, I am curious to know how it went.
Carfield likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 4:13 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
They have runway view rooms available if you book that type. The issue seems to be suites with runway views
Old May 30, 2019, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
What a terrible way to open a new hotel.

Their marketing has been superb with announcements from Jean Georges restaurant, Shinola shop and even the Made In the USA pencils they commissioned for the hotel.

Expectations were elevated and they let you down badly.

I had given some thought to booking a room later this year but might just have a drink and a look around for the architecture if that's their ongoing level of service.
PACLipper likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Hi everyone,
I though I would share with you an update. I sent the TWA Hotel a complaint letter detailing what went wrong and also added a few suggestions and tips based on my stay. 2 days later I got a reply where a customer care employee was deeply sorry for what had happened and she offered a full 100% refund of my stay and a comp voucher for my next stay. I got the money a few days later. Personally I think this is a step to the right direction, the fact that they own up to their errors and try to rectify them puts back confidence in me to stay there in the future.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 2:43 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by DominikBlasko
Hi everyone,
I though I would share with you an update. I sent the TWA Hotel a complaint letter detailing what went wrong and also added a few suggestions and tips based on my stay. 2 days later I got a reply where a customer care employee was deeply sorry for what had happened and she offered a full 100% refund of my stay and a comp voucher for my next stay. I got the money a few days later. Personally I think this is a step to the right direction, the fact that they own up to their errors and try to rectify them puts back confidence in me to stay there in the future.
At least they're willing to own up to and pay for their mistakes, even if it required a letter on your part. Better late than never. Thanks for reporting back.
PACLipper likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, IHG Plat., former LH HON (now Silver), Bonvoy Titanium
Thank you for this terrific report, Dom. I am going back to the old TWA Terminal days and I remember all of this vividly. Thanks again!
Old Jun 4, 2019, 5:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Hi everyone,
It would have been better if they had offered half of this during your stay.

BTW, who is operating this place? Do they have any affiliations such as FHR (unlikely for a new hotel), Virtuoso, LHW, etc.? I assume they're not a member of any chain.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:36 am

I flew via TWA in that terminal and of course, have nostalgic memories of a more gracious travels. We all know how things have deteriorated, and why.

I would add a general comment about reservations at new hospitality venues, be they restaurants, attractions or hotels. Don't expect your experience to be seamless perfection. As a more mature customer and patron, I've seen it all. Of course employees should be adequately trained and prepared. Of course, customers have a right to honesty and consideration. Of course the venue's promotional enticements should be accurate. Of course customers have a right to expect their concerns and issues are addressed properly. But in the real world, there will be disappointments and problems during soft openings.

Dom, I'm surprised at your naivety as you seem well traveled. Lesson learned? I'm pleased to read that the hotel responded to your communication and offered compensation. That's another lesson for patrons and guests. If a hotel doesn't perform as promised, let management know. Desk clerks are not usually motivated [or able] to make things right. Always insist on speaking to management.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Hi everyone,
I was there a week ago. Major issues, minor issues, but overall on track to be a decent hotel. Due to the major issues I asked for a manager to call me while at hotel. They apologized and also offered a full refund and voucher for a future one night stay.

I think they made a mistake opening this soon. Even a couple of weeks would've done wonders.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Thanks for sharing your ...

Also, it was cool to read your perspective on United. For some strange reason, US airlines don't require window shades to be open during taxi, takeoff, and landing.
The US has no requirement like other countries do to have window shades open.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.