Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2019, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by bodory
Fantastic report!
Thank you!

Originally Posted by DanielW
Why, looks an amazing part of the world^.

Those seventeen courses at Koks looks like quite an experience, definitely one for the culinary bucket list!

Such beautiful landscape too, quite surreal with the massive cliffs, rough seas, sprinkles of snow and lack of trees.

You'll have to head to Greenland now and complete the Kingdom of Denmark trifecta.
Yes I loved the glacial geography there. I was lucky to see every kind of weather. Svalbard would be very similar but I never saw it without snowcover and I still have not seen Norwegian fjords! Greenland is on the map but hope to visit Antarctica first.

Originally Posted by florens
Great report! When I visited the Faroe islands we boarded on the right hand side as it was so windy they parked the aircraft the other way round:
FAE
Kinda bummed I didn't fly in or out on Atlantic Airways... it would have been a new airline for me! Apparently they are going to start service from JFK later this year!
Old May 27, 2019, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

May 10, 2019
Flight: Vagar, Faroe Islands (FAE) to Copenhagen, Denmark (CPH); SAS; economy
Flight: Copenhagen, Denmark (CPH) to Luxembourg, Luxembourg (LUX); Luxair; economy
Hotel: ibis Budget Luxembourg Airport; $67

Today was my last day in the Faroes before flying back to Copenhagen and continuing to Luxembourg. I still had all morning free and luckily it was another gorgeous blue skies day. I had another yogurt and mueseli breakfast and left the B&B. The owner had said just leave the key in the room. I had left them the KOKS Raest Fisk beer bottles in their fridge as I couldn't carry it on the flight. I drove down to the port, hoping to get some drone views of the city. I'm a little self-conscious about using it in city areas, and there were some guys loading up a ship nearby. I got a few shots of town but they came out too overexposed.. I'm still trying to get the hang of it.

I left town via the mountain road. The snow from two days ago had all melted so it was interesting to stop and get some comparison photos. I stopped at the gas station for a candy bar and yet again at the KOKS parking lot (for the 4th time!) and walked down to the lake. A perfect view with the snowcapped mountain reflected in the water. And had to skip a rock or two.

Difference two days makes

I continued on back through the subsea tunnel to Vagar island. The next stop was going to be Trřllkonufingur, a pinnacle of rock. It is accessed up a narrow and bumpy road from Sandavágur to a parking area then a few hundred meters trail. The trail was undergoing construction with steps, etc. Unfortunately it was early in the morning and the wrong lighting to get the best photos. I continued back into town to visit the beautiful red-roofed church.

This would have been an excellent morning to do the Traelanipan hike and I was half tempted to do it again.. I still had plenty of time before the flight. I continued on towards the town of Gasadalur. This town of 18 people used to be very isolated, only accessible by the Postman's Trail over the mountain until a new tunnel opened in 2004. Now it is 20 minutes from the airport and has become instagram famous with a view of a waterfall and the town behind. I was lucky with the weather again as the sun was still out with blue skies, though the clouds were starting to move in.

Gasadalur

Mykines

There is a new parking space in town which was a bit of a walk back down to the trail. I saw an Avis van here this morning and wondered if if was the same one I had seen in Kalsoy and Vidareidi the day before.. they must be going around doing deliveries. There were about 5-6 tourists already at the waterfall viewpoint. There was also a clear view across to Mykines island.

I drove back to Sřrvágur and filled up the tank. They assumed I was going to the airport and ended up giving me a bunch of coins as change. The Faroes use the DKK but have their own paper currency that is worthless elsewhere. I then drove the short distance to the airport. I was grabbing my bags out of the car when I ran into Anna again. She was on the Copenhagen flight as well. We were still way early so sat down at a cafe and chatted awhile. She had been to Mykines the previous day but hadn't really seen any puffins as they are currently all out feeding in the ocean. She also mentioned some guys had gone over but then didn't want to pay the new fee to hike... that would have been a boring long day in town (6 hrs)! I grabbed a coffee and sandwich for lunch with my remaining DKK.

Faroes currency

I remembered the American and Scottish women were flying to Edinburgh today and ran into them as well. The airport was a lot busier than I expected. The Copenhagen and Edinburgh flights leave about the same time but there were a few other flights including one to Roskilde. Security was easy but once through there wasn't a place to sit. I should have bought postcards earlier.. the only place I had seen them was in Vestmanna tourist office but did manage to find some at the duty free.

Finally the flights started boarding and it was somewhat fitting that it had started raining... despite the fickle weather in the Faroes I'd been very lucky overall. If I'd had some more time it might have been nice to get to some of the outer islands accessible only via ferry.

The flight to Copenhagen was uneventful and I had a fairly long (4hr) layover before the flight to Luxembourg. There are two different Priority Pass lounges in Terminal 2, the Aviator and Aspire lounges. I went into both for awhile to wait out the flight. I may have waited too long as the Luxair flight left out of A28 which was a hella long walk from the lounge. Got to the gate just in time as a large group of French-speaking students turned up.

Apire Lounge CPH

LG CPH-LUX

The flight to Luxembourg was on a Luxair DH8, a new airline for me. The flight announced a delay though, at first just 20 minutes but ended up being longer, they claimed air traffic delay through German airspace. We ended up arriving almost an hour late. I grabbed some Euro at the ATM. My hotel was close by, the ibis Budget Luxembourg Aeroport but they had stopped running the shuttle at 11PM. I would have walked but it was raining so ended up grabbing a taxi. He wasn't too happy about the short ride, less than 1km was 6.60 EUR.

The ibis Budget desk was closed so had to go to the main ibis hotel to get checked in. The ibis room was tiny of course, with three beds (bunkbed), but clean and quiet. I was back in Luxembourg for the first time since 1985!
nequine likes this.

Last edited by hauteboy; May 27, 2019 at 8:39 pm
Old May 28, 2019, 5:54 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Just catching up with your TR and what fantastic photos you got in the Faroes. It looks really spectacular!
Old May 28, 2019, 10:56 am
Original Poster

May 11, 2019
Hotel: ibis Budget Luxembourg Airport; $67
I had the whole day today to explore Luxembourg. Unfortunately the weather didn't look great, it was supposed to be cold and rainy all day. The ibis had a basic breakfast buffet with croissants, yogurt etc. There is a bus stop right outside the hotel. I wasn't sure what the bus situation was, where to buy tickets, etc but got a nice surprise on boarding the bus when the driver said all public transportation in Luxembourg is free!

It was about 20 minutes ride to town, where I got off near the Pasarelle bridge. Luxembourg City was built on steep cliffs overlooking the river valley below, a natural defensive position until they built the bridges in the late 1800s. I walked across the bridge to the Notre Dame cathedral, but it was closed until 2pm. The rain continued to come down in a heavy drizzle.. just enough to be annoying.

Passarelle bridge

Transit map. All free!

I continued up to a minimart where I bought a drinkable yogurt, then to the Place d'Armes in the center of the old city. The old city is quite compact, you can walk across in less than 10 minutes. There was a street market near the Ducal Palace where I bought an appel strudel. The Ducal Palace was the old City Hall. Luxembourg is the only remaining Grand Duchy in the world. There were two soldiers out front in rotation of standing in the sentry box or marching back and forth.

Impressive variety of Lindt chocolate..

Strudel Snack

Place d'Armes

The Luxembourg City History museum was nearby, a good place to get out of the rain for a bit. It was well organized and cleverly built into the old city walls. It showed the original settlement and how the fortifications grew around the city, and once manned by Prussian soldiers. The old bastions were mostly dismantled in the mid 1800s. Other industries were steel mills and leather factories. I was amazed to learn that some 70% of the city population is foreign! Lots of multi-national companies here and Luxembourg is one of the official capitals of the EU.

Grand Ducal Palace

After the museum I headed to the Casemates du Bock, part of the old fortifications carved out of the rock. Also another dry place to pass away some time! This was pretty busy with tour groups and other tourists. There were windows out overlooking the river valley below. I left the Casemates and walked down to the river and the mermaid statue.

In researching things to see in Luxembourg I had discovered there was an American WW2 cemetery here, where General Patton is buried. Unfortunately the logistics to get there were a bit tricky.. there weren't any near bus stops and no Uber in Luxembourg and didn't want to bother having to install another taxi app.... I had just missed the last bus so it was a bit of a wait at the bus stop.. which of course didn't have a rain shelter.

I rode the bus to the end of the line, from there it was another 20+ minute walk to the cemetery itself, the rain continuing. Well I was already soaked so what's a bit more. At least it was a (mostly) quiet walk other than maneuvering around some construction and crossing under an expressway.

I had been to British and Australian WW1 and WW2 cemeteries before, but this was my first American WW2 cemetery that I had visited. It was just a couple of days after the the anniversary of Victory in Europe day. I stepped inside the visitor center for a minute and my camera immediately fogged up after being out in the cold rain. It was still finicky, I could sometimes get it working but only if I disabled auto power off, which drained the battery quickly. There was another American guy here from Las Vegas. I also learned there were several members of the Band of Brothers (Easy Company) buried here.

The cemetery is laid out in 9 sections and contains over 5000 gravestones. There is a large chapel near the entrance and two large walls showing the progression of the war. General Patton's grave is along the front row. I wandered around for a few minutes to locate the Band of Brothers sites. The rain continued. On the way out of the cemetery to the nearest bus stop, I took a different route which probably was a mistake as it was a long a busy highway with no sidewalk, and there was major construction at the roundabout. Then get to the bus stop and find it only runs once an hour which left another long wait, and again no bus shelter!

Finally the bus comes along and almost speeds by without stopping, I assume no one ever gets on at that stop. I was going to change buses and go back to the hotel, but then saw the route for this bus went back into the old city. It was past 2pm so I figured I could try to visit the Notre Dame cathedral. The rain was also finally stopping and it started clearing and the sun even came out!

I was glad I had gone back to the cathedral as they were having some special service with a Virgin Mary procession. Then outside there was a parade of sorts with the priests and a big group of schoolkids. I went back to the Ducal Palace before catching another bus with connection back to my hotel.

I'd noticed a sign in the elevator this morning saying something about a dog show this weekend. Apparently they'd arrived as the elevator smelled like wet dog and there were dogs all over the place in the lobby. I relaxed in my room for awhile before finally heading out for dinner. I noticed a nearby steakhouse that sounded good. It was about a 1km walk past the airport. The weather was nice now though chilly.

The ToroToro restaurant turned out to be quite busy though I was able to get a table. Had a steak and tiramisu for dessert, though not sure what they were thinking putting cantaloupe on top... Then it was another walk back to the hotel, an early start tomorrow for the trip back home. There was a dog in a nearby room that kept barking for at least 40 minutes, so it took awhile to get to sleep.

Old May 28, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Luxembourg looks a great place to visit!
Old May 28, 2019, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by nequine
Indeed, it is!

Thanks for bringing my memories back.
Old May 28, 2019, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

May 12, 2019
Flight: Luxembourg, Luxembourg (LUX) to Paris, France (CDG); Luxair; economy
Flight: Paris, France (CDG) to Dallas, TX (DFW); Air France; A330 economy
Flight: Dallas, TX (DFW) to Austin, TX (AUS); American Airlines; economy

A long transit day today. My flight departed at 7:30 AM so I had to leave too early for breakfast at the hotel. However at checkout they said they had a breakfast box available! They also couldn't find my 6AM shuttle reservation I'd made the previous evening, but luckily the shuttle guy was there already. The weather was much better today than yesterday morning.

The terminal was completely dead on a Sunday morning. There was a Starbucks where I got an expensive ($6!) iced coffee. Cleared security and went up to the Priority Pass lounge. There were a few people here already waiting. Then came time to board the flight, which was a longish walk over to the gates. The flight was also a DH8 to Paris. Quick flight, I think we taxied longer on arrival at CDG 2G, which I'd never been to before.

LUX Priority Pass Lounge

$6 Starbucks

LUX PP Lounge

LG LUX-CDG

Cleared passport control but there wasn't a security rescreen before catching the bus to the L-gates. Luckily I only had a short layover as I didn't have lounge access this time and the sun was blazing hot through the windows at the gate. Air France had an upgrade again on the flight to DFW but hadn't taken the offer this time. I was regretting a bit once we boarded.. the flight do DFW was full in economy and I had a stinky neighbor. :-S

I watched several movies, including finishing The Mule, They Shall Not Grow Old and a Nigerian movie Mr. Not-so-Perfect. The flight back always seems to take twice the time coming over! Arrival into DFW with good weather. There was a longish walk to Global Entry, where all the kiosks were in use. There was also a long line to re-clear security but I went down to the next TSA Pre-check point and got through quickly.

AF Y CDG-DFW

I still had a few hours before my Austin flight so went to The Club lounge again. The flight to Austin ended up being delayed 30 minutes, plus with a long taxi so arrived back almost an hour late. I lucked out with a nearly empty bus to the parking lot.
nequine likes this.

Last edited by hauteboy; Apr 13, 2020 at 8:53 pm
Old May 29, 2019, 2:12 am

Thanks for this. Your TR got me really excited as I live in Copenhagen and just did the Faroe Islands on SAS last summer in August. I have good friends living there, because there are many Faroese young people that come to Denmark to study. Great pics, they reminded me of all the hikes I did. I tried to go for the lesser known routes. One notable one was hiking the whole island of Nolsoy, which is one of your first pics of the islands as you are landing. I hiked from Nolsoy town (on the left part of your pic) through the whole island to the lighthouse by the cliff, which is a small white dot on the right part of your pic. So interesting to see it this way. It took me a whole day to cross the island and get back. The Faroes are becoming a very popular destination, righfully so, they are gorgeous.
Old May 29, 2019, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nequine
Thanks! Even with the rain it was nice to visit. I wish I'd had a rental car or more time to get out to some other towns.

Originally Posted by DominikBlasko
Thanks for this. Your TR got me really excited as I live in Copenhagen and just did the Faroe Islands on SAS last summer in August. I have good friends living there, because there are many Faroese young people that come to Denmark to study. Great pics, they reminded me of all the hikes I did. I tried to go for the lesser known routes. One notable one was hiking the whole island of Nolsoy, which is one of your first pics of the islands as you are landing. I hiked from Nolsoy town (on the left part of your pic) through the whole island to the lighthouse by the cliff, which is a small white dot on the right part of your pic. So interesting to see it this way. It took me a whole day to cross the island and get back. The Faroes are becoming a very popular destination, righfully so, they are gorgeous.
Neat! I don't remember reading anything about Nolsoy. Yes the Faroes are definitely becoming popular..hopefully they can find a good balance.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by hauteboy
I wasn't sure what the bus situation was, where to buy tickets, etc but got a nice surprise on boarding the bus when the driver said all public transportation in Luxembourg is free!
Buses are free on Saturdays and the first Sunday of the month right now, but all public transport in Luxembourg City will be free everyday starting in March of 2020.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by senor hamachi
Buses are free on Saturdays and the first Sunday of the month right now, but all public transport in Luxembourg City will be free everyday starting in March of 2020.
Ah good to know! Yes it was on a Saturday...
Old Jul 22, 2019, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by hauteboy
Neat! I don't remember reading anything about Nolsoy. Yes the Faroes are definitely becoming popular..hopefully they can find a good balance.
Well they are building a Hilton Garden Inn and another big 4* hotel (Hotel Brendan) on the outskirts of town.... so get ready for the more trampling tourists.

Highlights from our 5 day trip in early July, I didnt really find it overran with tourists yet - although the campervans (europeans bring them on the ferry) are very annoying. There are keep off grass and no drone signs everywhere... but there are still some that are disregarding them.

The waterfall near the airport
The hike to Sřrvágsvatn Lake (worth the 200DKK)
Nolsoy island ferry trip and hiking
Sunday Faroese lunch at Katrina Christiansen
Saksun - an amazing village, and hike down the lagoon (apparently soon to be charging 50-75DKK as well)
The village of Gjogv
Kirkjubour village and church
The beach at Tjornuvik
The helicopter - for $30ish, an absolute bargain, book the minute it opens up for reservation for busy times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.