Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

A Piece of Panama With a Bit of Bogota and a Side of San Jose

A Piece of Panama With a Bit of Bogota and a Side of San Jose

Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Is the bar in the AMS lounge no longer self-serve? Also, it looked like the hot food was also not self-serve. While it is surely more hygienic and less wasteful, many people like to pick what they want. For example, I am particular about which meat cuts I might want, or if I want more of one side than another. Just curious.
There ia self-serve booze and drinks, SkyTeam777. The lower floor has self service stations while the top one has a manned bar. For food, there are buffets on both floors. The lower floor however has the open kitchen where you now can get the warm options.

I can understand what you mean about being picky - but I think in general that in that aspect the lounge has improved, as the food is clearly a bit better than than the grub of dubious origins served before. Still not great, but decent enough!
SkyTeam777 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Great report! Interesting to see scenes of San Jose, which is not typically where people tend to spend time when visiting Costa Rica so I don't think I've ever seen much in the way of traveller's impressions of the place. It does look a little lacking in character compared to many of the other cities in the region. (I was recently in Mexico for the first time, and was blown away by how beautiful and civilised Merida, in the Yucatan region was - incredible colonial architecture, fabulous food, fun vibe. Worth a visit if you're back in that general area.)

Such a disappointment about your almost op-up on KL. I was right there with you anticipating the happy outcome, only to be crushed. In my experience, if you ever expect an op-up you can be almost guaranteed of not getting one; the upgrade gods are nothing if not fickle. It's a pity as that KL Y product looks thoroughly underwhelming.

Looking forward to your upcoming Kyrgyzstan report!
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by mad_atta
Great report! Interesting to see scenes of San Jose, which is not typically where people tend to spend time when visiting Costa Rica so I don't think I've ever seen much in the way of traveller's impressions of the place. It does look a little lacking in character compared to many of the other cities in the region. (I was recently in Mexico for the first time, and was blown away by how beautiful and civilised Merida, in the Yucatan region was - incredible colonial architecture, fabulous food, fun vibe. Worth a visit if you're back in that general area.)

Such a disappointment about your almost op-up on KL. I was right there with you anticipating the happy outcome, only to be crushed. In my experience, if you ever expect an op-up you can be almost guaranteed of not getting one; the upgrade gods are nothing if not fickle. It's a pity as that KL Y product looks thoroughly underwhelming.

Looking forward to your upcoming Kyrgyzstan report!
Thanks mad_atta! Indeed, San Jose is hardly the tourist centre of Costa Rica - and most travellers merely use it as a transport hub to destinations deeper in the country. I wish I had the time to do likewise - but unfortunately did not have. That said, it was a no-brainer to book the ticket with a full-day stopover. I could have easily taken a later COPA flight from Panama to San Jose with a 1 or 2 hour connection to my KLM flight. But what's the fun of that?

I immediately believe you about Merida. I have friends who said exactly the same about that city - even saying it was their favourite in Mexico. I've been once in Tijuana on a day trip from San Diego, so technically I have been once in Mexico. But saying that having been to Tijuana = having visited Mexico to some Mexicans I have met while travelling always made for very passionate replies back stating that it is not the real Mexico. Hardly can blame them! Would love to visit more in the country, Merida and Yucatan.. Guadalajara.. Mexico City and the surrounding historical sights.. the Copper Canyon, Baja California, Oaxaca. It's high on my list!

And on KLM, I wouldn't say the product is underwhelming. The food was a bit yes, as were the dreadful offerings on the in-flight entertainment, but as the seat is very good it's a great way to fly intercontinental if you can snag it for free. I would certainly not hesitate booking on KL again, although Air France (or Turkish) both have my preference so far. For the op-up, you are right that at the moment you really hope for it (and I have been secretly hoping for it when I heard the flight would be packed) the frequent flyer gods often prevent it from happening, while at the moments when you do not expect it, I at times got an upgrade (even when economy did not seem to be full at all).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.