Culture, food and gelato - 3 weeks in Bella Italia

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2019, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Venice: Aman

Now to our room. The design is clear and stands in contrast to some of the public rooms.

If the fresco is the only real difference to the "cheaper" Rooms I would never pay 550 € for it. The room itself was OK, but nothing I would describe as ultra luxury. Personally I would have preferred a sofa.
As usual minibar was free:

Is this perhaps the reason bhrubin isn´t impressed by the Aman?

The view from the bedroom:

Now to the down of our room. It was loud. First the old doors were not really well soundproofed. So when someone walked over the floor you could hear everything. For sure they can also hear everything from your room. Personally I´m not a fan of the idea people hear everything from my room.
The second problem was that there were constantly noises from the upper Floor (which is used by the owner if I´m right). It sounded like thousand steps, really not supported my sleep.
The bathroom had the size of the bedroom and was nice with a lot of natural light.

Unfortunately the bathroom wasn´t without fault. I guess many people like natural light in the bathroom and the toilet. Generally I agree but I´m not a big fan of beeing seenable while seating on the toilet. To avoid this you had to take this second curtain down. Here you get an idea of the problem:

It was simply not comfortable, you always came "in conflict" with the curtain….
Also I was shocked to see how they did the silicone joints. Well, I´m really not a talentated handyman but I´m not sure I would do it like this. If this would delivered by a professional to me I wouldn´t pay one cent till it´s done properly.

Also this fitting is not really state of the art.

Well, I could perhaps laugh about it at an Ibis but at a 1925 € room (not at high season!!!) it´s not that funny.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Here a video of the room:
Old Jun 30, 2019, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Breakfast was served at the first Floor. you could choose between the yellow room, the hall and the bar. One morning I saw also someone at the blue room. They offered an a la carte breakfast, there was no limitation. We took some interesting options like an spicy thai omelette with spider crab.

Quality was good and the breakfast a dream after the weak performance at Sagredo.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Venice: Aman Arva

The first evening we had dinner at the restaurant Arva. While the hotel was fully booked the restaurant was empty, only 3 tables were occupied.
While the restaurant is elegantly furnished the chairs were not comfortable. It was a bad seating position and to be honest I was glad when dinner was over. Perhaps comfort should be more important than design.

We started with bread.

There was no further Amuse Bouche.
Steamed mantis shrimps with pickled red chilli and lemon.

Pea soup with pea shoots and salted ricotta

Pasta with tomato (off the menu)

Bigoli with clams, red chilli and parsley

Turbot filet, green asparagus and wild garlic

Wild seabass, artichoke and "Bassano" pink onion

Sidedish: Fried courgette flower and Provola cheese

Petit fours

I can´t really remember what our dessert was.....

Our dinner was solid but nothing special. From outside I would surely not go to Avra.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
So, what's your consensus on Aman Venice? Based on your review you seem unimpressed especially given the price. I have a booking here for next March and this review doesn't inspire much!
Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by callmedtop
So, what's your consensus on Aman Venice? Based on your review you seem unimpressed especially given the price. I have a booking here for next March and this review doesn't inspire much!
Hope to write the conclusion later today
callmedtop likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Time for a conclusion. Let´s first talk about the hardware. The public spaces are absolute stunning and alone worth a visit. The room itself was spacious enough but I found the bedroom not that great. The bathroom was generally nice, but things like the silicone are annoying. For me a real problem were the noises in the room.
Now the software. Service was good but again not legendary or something like that. For me it was a normal to good 5 star service, nothing which will be in my mind for a while. There is absolutely nothing wrong about it (quite the opposite).
Last about the location. If you leave the hotel you are in a very touristy street. There might be more central locations but I think it´s still good.
My final verdict is difficult. In my eyes you don´t really get what you pay, otherwise you are in Venice, Italy - one of the most overpriced cities in an overpriced country. This said ít was over all a good stay without major failures´, but not one I´m enthusiastic about. Perhaps I expected too much, that´s sometimes a problem. Compared to Ca´Sagredo I would still choose the Aman as it was miles above it but from the value-point Sagredo is the clear winner.
callmedtop likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Thank you - immensely helpful!
Old Jun 30, 2019, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by callmedtop
Thank you - immensely helpful!
I think Venice is a difficult market….. Personally I´m glad I stayed at the Aman, only for the experience. Enjoy and I´m looking forward what you decided.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Venice: Casa di Carlo Goldoni

The "Museum and Library oa theatrical studies" is part of museums pass so we did a short visit. It´s pretty nice but I think 10 minutes are enough.

Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:26 pm

More continued excellence of a trip report. After seeing many glowing reports of the Aman in Venice I wished we had stayed there when we were in Venice three years ago. However, the hotel does not appear to have value for the money. The poor silicone job in the bathroom would also drive me insane. The chairs look extremely uncomfortable. Not all guests are in their twenties, with flexible joints.
The breakfast did look wonderful as did the chocolate bombe for dessert!
hugolover and janehoya like this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LinLant
More continued excellence of a trip report. After seeing many glowing reports of the Aman in Venice I wished we had stayed there when we were in Venice three years ago. However, the hotel does not appear to have value for the money. The poor silicone job in the bathroom would also drive me insane. The chairs look extremely uncomfortable. Not all guests are in their twenties, with flexible joints.
The breakfast did look wonderful as did the chocolate bombe for dessert!
Thanks! Yeah, Aman Venice is not perfect and value is not written in big letters.
LinLant likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Venice: Scuola Grande di San Rocco

Scuola Grande di San Rocco is famous for its paintings by Tintoretto.

There is the Sala Terrena on the ground floor:

The impressive staircase:

The masterpiece is Sala Capitolare on the second floor

hugolover likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Venice: Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari

Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari is the second important gothic church in Venice.
The interior:

There are many important paintings:

There are also many graves of doges and artists:

hugolover likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Venice: Ca' Pesaro

Ca' Pesaro is home of 2 Museums, the Modern Art and the Oriental Art museums.
The Modern Art gallery is (of course in historic rooms) interesting with some lovely artworks.

The Oriental Art Gallery is quite nice but I liked the modern gallery more.

hugolover likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.