Culture, food and gelato - 3 weeks in Bella Italia

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2019, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Your pictures are beautiful. I'm enjoying everything including the gorgeous interiors of churches. I'm looking forward to more Rome restaurant reviews. Did you find any that were outstanding in walking distance of the Pantheon or Piazza Navone?
Thanks!
Without spoilering I found Imago at Hassler very good and Moma great value.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Santa Maria ai Monti

Old Apr 27, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
THAT picture of the "Gran riserva risotto with almond, curry and red prawns" ^ looks yummy

Thank you for your trip (and restaurant) report
offerendum likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zip10001
THAT picture of the "Gran riserva risotto with almond, curry and red prawns" ^ looks yummy

Thank you for your trip (and restaurant) report
It was yummy^
Old Apr 28, 2019, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Entrances in Rome

I wonna say some general words about entrances in Rome. Many sights can be pre-booked online and some with limited capacities like Domus Aurea must. At places like Vatican Museum or Colosseum it´s more or less obligaory.
You find also passes which include entrances and transportation. When I visited last time in 2009 I had a great pass which include more or less everything and gave you fast track access. Unfortunatelly this pass is no longer available. Now you get mostly very expensive passes with questionable value.
We decided to buy Roma Pass which Costs 34 € for 72 Hours. It Comes with 2 free Museum entrances, free transportation and some reductions. I bought it as I read at the Internet you can enter Colosseum with it anytime. This was wrong. You have to book a "time-window" online which I did but never received a confirmation, also the fee was taken from my credit card. So I ended up buying a new ticket for Colosseum (which includes Palatine/ Forum Romanum which I did before with Roma Pass) and to pay double. The transportation in Rome is of limited value. Yes, there is a metro. Unfortunately the next Station is mostly not near the sight you wonna see. So you better walk completely or take a taxi which is much more conveniant. When I one time tried to take a bus it didn´t come (time-tables are more guidelines) and I wasted 20 minutes with waiting. In the end I got perhaps 20 € value from each card, definitively not 34 €. Don´t buy it!
Old Apr 28, 2019, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Rome: Palatine

When you are in Rome you must of course visit the Palatine. First task is to enter. As it´s one sight together with Forum Romanum there are 2 entrances. One at Forum Romanum and one at Palatine. At Forum Romanum was a long line even for ticket holders. At Palatine was a long line for people without tickets

but only a short for ticket-holders.
At Palatine there are different areas which are more or less good preserved.

After visiting the Palatine we went to the Forum Romanum.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Rome: Forum Romanum

From the Palatine we came to the Forum Romanum. I recommend to visit Palatine first as you have from above a good overview:

An even better viewpoint is located at the top, but we didn´t visit this time. Also you have a good view from the Capitoline Museums, took this picture later:

I love Forum Romanum, one of my favourite places in Rome. No wonder it was crowded:

Tempio del Divo Romolo

I Always try to see San Lorenzo in Miranda from inside but again I wasn´t successful:

You can´t count all the beautiful monuments…

Arch of Septimius Severus

Temple of Castor

Basilica Iulia

Basilica Aemilia

View to the Capitoline Museums and Porticus Dei Consentes

House of the Vestals

As I said in a previous post due the crampy Roma Pass we had to buy separate tickets for Colosseum which included entrance to Forum Romanum. So we visited a second time at around 6 pm which braught us a nearly empty Forum. Heavenly….

Always a pleasure….
SanDiego1K and Kgmm77 like this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Rome: Basilica Dei Santi Cosma E Damiano

After we left the Forum and I did another unsuccessful attempt to enter San Lorenzo we were on our way to Basilica Dei Santi Cosma E Damiano. First we stood in a cloister, the entrance to the Basilica.

The Basilica itself is relative small but offers a mosaic from the 6st century.

In the back is a window from which you can look in the Temple of Romolus which is adjected to the church.

Old Apr 28, 2019, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Rome: Fori Imperiali

We came across the Fori Imperiali

The most known is probaly the Forum of Trajan with the Trajan´s Colum:

SanDiego1K and roadwarrier like this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Rome: Monumento Nazionale a Vittorio Emanuele II

Monumento Nazionale a Vittorio Emanuele II is one of the most controversial buildings in Rome. While it was surely no good idea to destroy parts of medival Rome to build it I think it gives some Impression how monuments looked in ancient times.

The monument is dominated by a statue of Victorio Emanuel II and the tomb of the unknown soldier.

Inside you first see this Quadriga:

We visited the Museo Del Risorgimento (Shrine of Flags).

At the museum you find the crypt with the tomb.

You can also visit the roof but we didn´t this time.
We saw the change of the guard:

View to Piazza Venezia from the steps:
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by eightblack
We are about to set off on a family holiday to Florence shortly so I am very interested to read about your exploits and dining experience there. I intend to eat my body weight in cheese and pasta and as much gelato as the other side of my stomach can handle.
Not to derail this report, but EIGHTBLACK is back. Is a report in the offing?

Offerendum - a fantastic report so far. I am in awe of the amount of time that these reports take to prepare.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lamphs
Offerendum - a fantastic report so far. I am in awe of the amount of time that these reports take to prepare.
Thanks! Yes, they need some time. But as I enjoy others Trip Reports of other so much (for curiosity, idea provider or preparation I think it´s only fair to invest the time to give something in return.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Rome: Capitoline Hill

Next we went to the Capitoline Hill, the beautiful designed place by Michelangelo.

The square is entrance to the Capitoline Museums which we did next.
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:34 am

Really enjoyed your preview and pictures! Felt as if I'm visiting the Eternal city myself!

Was it necessary to blank out the faces of the people? Especially of the soldiers in the changing of the guards.
Not criticising, just curious in your decision since it is a distraction in those beautiful pictures.

Thanks for taking time to post this! I enjoyed it.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vn33
Was it necessary to blank out the faces of the people? Especially of the soldiers in the changing of the guards.
Not criticising, just curious in your decision since it is a distraction in those beautiful pictures.

Thanks for taking time to post this! I enjoyed it.
Don´t think it´s really required by law but personally I wouldn´t like to be included in a trip-report so I do it out of respect.

Would be interested what others think about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.