A week in Cape Town - BA F to the Southern Hemisphere

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A week in Cape Town - BA F to the Southern Hemisphere

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
The food on BA F looks quite hit or miss. By the way, Emirates J/F poached eggs have always been quite good.
offerendum likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 4:37 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Always enjoy reading your TRs - and this one was certainly no exception!

Cape Town looks like a great destination to try.

Also, kudos for going ahead with your lunch. Did you take any reading material with you? As someone who often travels solo, I find more formal dining can be a challenge between courses and either read stuff on my phone (which I try to avoid) or take a few magazines or even a book with me. Otherwise you can end up staring around the restaurant. Tend not to care so much after an aperitif or two though! What did you do?
Old May 19, 2019, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
Always enjoy reading your TRs - and this one was certainly no exception!

Cape Town looks like a great destination to try.

Also, kudos for going ahead with your lunch. Did you take any reading material with you? As someone who often travels solo, I find more formal dining can be a challenge between courses and either read stuff on my phone (which I try to avoid) or take a few magazines or even a book with me. Otherwise you can end up staring around the restaurant. Tend not to care so much after an aperitif or two though! What did you do?
Thanks so much for reading IAMORGAN and for your comment - appreciated!

I had my phone with me at lunch. I did feel slightly conscious about what I would do not having anyone to chat to. The restaurant had WiFi so I read some news and maybe played a game of Candy Crush (ha!) but mostly just enjoyed the atmosphere of the place
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I have long wanted to fly BA from London down to JNB/CPT if only because it would look good on my map of international flights flown. Sorry to read that BA's meal service can still be so hit or miss, especially with regard to red meats. It is possible to have a nicely cooked fillet inflight - OneWorld partner Cathay Pacific often gets it right. Thanks for the nice pic-tour of Capetown, too. You did it in a style much nicer then I did (hostels back in the day). I look forward to returning (if there's still water ) ^^
Old May 20, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by stu1985
BA438, LHR-AMS, G-EUXI, A321

I'd had a great trip to Cape Town. It is fast becoming one of my favourite cities in the world (a close second to San Francisco I think). The food and wine I had were great and we totally lucked out with the weather.

Thanks to everyone for following this TR and for all of the nice comments.

Safe travels!
This was a great report - loved reading it. I live in SF, and Cape Town is up there as one of my favorite places on earth (along with Beirut and Hong Kong). Couldn't agree with your opinion more - I keep going back. Took the same fare deal when I went down in January, and did the Garden Route this time. Wilderness, Knysna, and Plettenburg Bay are awesome. Also, next time you should take the day trip to Stellenbosch or Franschhoek, both are absolutely spectacular. La Colombe looks incredible - will make it there next time.
Old May 22, 2019, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I have long wanted to fly BA from London down to JNB/CPT if only because it would look good on my map of international flights flown. Sorry to read that BA's meal service can still be so hit or miss, especially with regard to red meats. It is possible to have a nicely cooked fillet inflight - OneWorld partner Cathay Pacific often gets it right. Thanks for the nice pic-tour of Capetown, too. You did it in a style much nicer then I did (hostels back in the day). I look forward to returning (if there's still water ) ^^
Thanks for reading along Seat2A. Having flown BA for years, I am no stranger to the fact that the meals can be hit or miss! Hope you manage to return to South Africa in the near future (and travel there with a carrier on which you get a better meal!)

Originally Posted by lds89
This was a great report - loved reading it. I live in SF, and Cape Town is up there as one of my favorite places on earth (along with Beirut and Hong Kong). Couldn't agree with your opinion more - I keep going back. Took the same fare deal when I went down in January, and did the Garden Route this time. Wilderness, Knysna, and Plettenburg Bay are awesome. Also, next time you should take the day trip to Stellenbosch or Franschhoek, both are absolutely spectacular. La Colombe looks incredible - will make it there next time.
Appreciate the nice comment lds89 - thanks. I went to Stellenbosch and Franschhoek on my first trip down to South Africa in 2016 (there's a previous TR out there somewhere) but I would definitely love to go back there and perhaps stay for a few days in each town and see some more of them. Enjoy your next trip there!
Old Dec 10, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Thanks for a well written and interesting read. read. I see you flew out of T5. I’m curious - I’m flying LHR - CPT next Feb, but we fly from T3. I thought all BA flights were usually from T5 ? I’m a bit puzzled about this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by gypsyjaney
Thanks for a well written and interesting read. read. I see you flew out of T5. I’m curious - I’m flying LHR - CPT next Feb, but we fly from T3. I thought all BA flights were usually from T5 ? I’m a bit puzzled about this.
'Some' BA flights use T3 ... our PHX 747 early this year was one of them. We enjoyed the T3 experience, and it made a change from T5 [and indeed LGW!].
Old Dec 12, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Thanks T8191, it will be a new experience for us! I will let you know how we get on in CPT!
Old Dec 19, 2019, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gypsyjaney
Thanks T8191, it will be a new experience for us! I will let you know how we get on in CPT!
Sorry gypsyjaney - just saw your comment above! Enjoy the lounge hopping in T3 - my favourites are CX lounge for some noodles and QF lounge for some gin!
gypsyjaney likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.