A week in Cape Town - BA F to the Southern Hemisphere

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A week in Cape Town - BA F to the Southern Hemisphere

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Thanks for the great pictures. Brought back memories from when I was a frequent visitor there. Be sure to have some imported Windhoek beer while there. The Germans left behind an excellent beer making tradition in Namibia !
stevie and stu1985 like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:50 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Wow at the view from your hotel and the description about the table cloth is so apt!
stu1985 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Oh, a mix of nostalgia and envy! And how I'm looking forward to enjoying ZA food and wine again ... and their prices! Your C.T. pics bring back many happy memories ... I recognise that building, etc!

Thanks again for updating.
stu1985 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:35 am

Another @stu1985 report! Always look forward to new ones and amazing as always
Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:48 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
We enjoyed a lovely bottle of wine, some digestifs and coffee and the bill was around £55 for the both of us. Just brilliant!
As a Local, I initially balked at the price, but looking at what you had - that was really reasonable, considering at what some places charge.

Looking forward to the rest of your TR as always.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Originally Posted by viewfromthewindowseat
Another @stu1985 report! Always look forward to new ones and amazing as always
Thanks very much viewfromthewindowseat

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
As a Local, I initially balked at the price, but looking at what you had - that was really reasonable, considering at what some places charge.

Looking forward to the rest of your TR as always.
I thought it very reasonable, especially considering the bottle of wine we had was one of the more expensive ones on the menu! Thanks for reading along roadwarrier!
Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@ stu1985 ... what the locals might think of prices for good food and wine, I would express the view that, from a UK perspective, it’s all ridulously cheap ... depending on your entry point, of course. Certainly we have never, anywhere, eaten and imbibed so well and so (relatively) cheaply. That’s one factor that keeps drawing us back, along with all the other lovelieness of the Western Cape.
roadwarrier likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T8191
@ stu1985 ... what the locals might think of prices for good food and wine, I would express the view that, from a UK perspective, it’s all ridulously cheap ... depending on your entry point, of course. Certainly we have never, anywhere, eaten and imbibed so well and so (relatively) cheaply. That’s one factor that keeps drawing us back, along with all the other lovelieness of the Western Cape.
Agreed! If we'd had that steak meal back home with the same bottle of wine, we would have been at least £150, if not more. Can't wait to go back!
Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:42 am
Original Poster

The next morning I got up and spent some time by the pool getting some colour onto my pale Scottish skin. I had booked us lunch at La Colombe for 1.30pm so fancied a relaxed morning before getting ready to go. Unfortunately, my friend woke up with a sore stomach so said he wouldn't be able to come for lunch. I hummed and hayed about cancelling the reservation but decided just to go myself and I was so glad that I did!

I hopped into an Uber for the 25 min ride into the hills above Cape Town. The driver I had was great. He was telling me about politics in South Africa and how the ANC are trying to clean up their party and he was most interested in Brexit. "Is Theresa May still your Prime Minster?" he asked. "Well, at the moment, yes, but that may change tomorrow"

Security stopped us at the gate and I gave me name and we were given the all clear to drive to the entrance of the restaurant. Understated, but classy.

I went inside and gave my name and explained that my friend was unwell so wouldn't be there. The hostess asked me to wait for a second and she went to clear the second setting from my table so I didn't feel awkward - how nice was that?! Before I was taken to my table, I was asked to take a bright green ball from the fake "garden" that they had at the entrance. I can't remember exactly how she described it but it was the thinnest coating of white chocolate (turned green) and as you bit into it, there was an explosion of yuzu citrus flavour. "Make sure it's all the way in your mouth before you bite into it!".

My table was by the window which meant that I had a nice view of the trees outside and the guys who were going about their jobs outside.

The menu was explained to me - I could have everything on the menu if I wished or "just" 8 courses with some wine pairings. I went for the slightly smaller version.

My waitress came over an introduced herself and said she would be taking care of me. She presented some sourdough bread which they make fresh on the premises each morning with some chorizo and a parmesan sable which was delicious!

First out were the "Snacks". The waitress carried over a black wooden box and opened it to present a delicious (I think) pork belly burger and one of the prettiest snacks I have ever seen. Delicate and delicious!

Next up was the simple named "Tuna" with a blind tasting. My waitress explained that the concept behind it was to get guests to use their senses to try and taste what kind of grape the wine was made for. The wine wasn't poured at the table but taken to me in a black glass. One of the chefs then came out and presented an actual tuna tin. What a wonderful way to do it. This is a staple dish at La Colombe and it has been on their menu since the very first day they opened. "You just open it like a normal tin and enjoy what's inside". I'm actually smiling as I write this because it was just such a great way of getting the guest involved and the suspense of wondering what was actually inside the tin was great. Needless to say, it was absolutely stunning!

I can still taste it now. It was delicious. And in the dressing was some very thinly chopped up tuna tartare.

Next up - scallops and sweetbread. Again, stunning. The scallops were cooked perfectly and had the most wonderful taste. This was paired with a light red wine - different but the two went well together.

Palate cleanser next - pear and tequila cocktail. This was done really well - they had put something in the liquid to make it bubble as it was delivered to the table.

Lamb for the main course. And there was some lamb breast on the plate which I had never tasted before. The jalapeño puree was delicious and was served alongside roasted tomato puree and aubergine puree. Very tasty indeed.

And dessert was a take on bananas - some banana bread, caramelised bananas, tastes of lime, white chocolate and there was sherbet in there too just to add another dimension to the plate.

And then, to finish off, some tastes from the garden. A macaroon filled with chocolate and lemongrass marshmallow (the lemongrass had been picked from their garden that morning). I love the fact that they used ingredients that they grow themselves. La Colombe also makes its own gin and I sampled one after lunch which was lovely.

The pace of the meal was great too. I was there for around 3 hours. Nothing was rushed and I wasn't made to feel like I was eating too slow. I was one of the last tables out of the lunchtime sitting but wasn't pressured into leaving (indeed I was offered another gin before I left!). When I got up to make a move, my waitress guided me up the stairs and said that there was "one last treat". It was a homemade After Eight (made with peppermint from the garden) in the cutest envelope!

Wow! That's all I can say about the experience. It was definitely in my top 5 meals I have ever had. I'm gutted my friend couldn't make it but also really glad I didn't cancel the reservation. I had a brilliant time there.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wink

O. M. G.

^ @:-)

And at least 10 other characters, which say we really need to go there!
stu1985 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: FB Gold, Hilton Diamond, some others as well
I definitely must visit South Africa soon. All these reports are really tempting me...
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: LH Sen for life; QR Plat; FB Gold; Bonvoy Gold for life
Cape Town is one of my favourite cities. Top quality food and drink is incredibly good value with the Rand currently about 19 to the GBP. A couple of years ago I flew BA F into CPT. The view of the city and Table Mountain from 1K in a 744 on approach are Incredible. Make sure you book a right hand window seat.

Must try La Colombe next time I’m there. Looks fabulous. A bit like Gaggan in Bangkok in presentation?

Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:24 am

Looks like you had a great time in the Mother city, stu1985.

The dining at La Colombe looks like quite a wonderful experience, especially the can of tuna!

I was surprised about the change in liquids rule at AMS too. I was chugging my bottle of water down while waiting my turn last month and was told by a security lady that there was no need .
Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:56 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Originally Posted by lloydje33
I definitely must visit South Africa soon. All these reports are really tempting me...
Well, you have a daily KLM flight from AMS to CPT so why wait? It really is a great destination for foreign visitors and with our Currency doing some strange things, really affordable. If you need any advice, there are many people willing to share information that will make your trip worth it.
T8191 and lloydje33 like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Wow at how picturesque the food was and what it arrived in/on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.