A week in Cape Town - BA F to the Southern Hemisphere

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A week in Cape Town - BA F to the Southern Hemisphere

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: Skymiles Plat/1MM, United Prem, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
What stunning food photos! La Colombe is truly a destination in itself. Thanks for this very entertaining TR
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Originally Posted by lloydje33
I definitely must visit South Africa soon. All these reports are really tempting me...
Do it!!

Originally Posted by BobBHX
Cape Town is one of my favourite cities. Top quality food and drink is incredibly good value with the Rand currently about 19 to the GBP. A couple of years ago I flew BA F into CPT. The view of the city and Table Mountain from 1K in a 744 on approach are Incredible. Make sure you book a right hand window seat.

Must try La Colombe next time I’m there. Looks fabulous. A bit like Gaggan in Bangkok in presentation?
Couldn't comment on aAggan but can confirm that La Colombe was indeed fabulous! Agree with you 100% on the approach into CPT BobBHX!

Originally Posted by DanielW
Looks like you had a great time in the Mother city, stu1985.

The dining at La Colombe looks like quite a wonderful experience, especially the can of tuna!

I was surprised about the change in liquids rule at AMS too. I was chugging my bottle of water down while waiting my turn last month and was told by a security lady that there was no need .
Thanks very much DanielW! The can of tuna was such a fun idea!

The return at AMS wasn't great. I had a mini bottle of hairspray in my liquids luggage which got through on the way out but for some reason got confiscated on the way back......

Originally Posted by nequine
Wow at how picturesque the food was and what it arrived in/on.
I know, right!

Originally Posted by lb8001
What stunning food photos! La Colombe is truly a destination in itself. Thanks for this very entertaining TR
Thanks lb8001! More to come soon when time permits!
Old Apr 21, 2019, 4:20 am
Original Poster

My last morning in Cape Town was very chilled after seeing a nice sunrise.

I sat by the pool, enjoying the last bits of sun I will most likely see for a few months. We had lunch and a few drinks together at the pool bar and I then nipped back to my room to freshen up and throw the last few bits into my suitcase. I booked an Uber to the airport and was on my way just after 2pm. The drive to the airport is a real eye-opener as you see all of the shacks right by the side of the motorway when just a few miles down the road, you're in the built up city swarming with tourists from all over the world.

Check-in was a non-event. No fast track security but there wasn't too much of a wait before I was airside and off to the SLOW lounge. Wow. This place was ram packed today. Every seat bar a few stools was taken. It really wasn't as nice an atmosphere as you would expect in a lounge. I found a stool and perched at the bar with a beer before I spotted a guy packing up on one of the nearby sofas so I managed to get a comfy seat (insert own joke about sun loungers and towels here....). Views are pretty decent from the lounge and I love that some of the toilets have "Toilet with a view" on the door!

BA6422, CPT - JNB, ZS-ZWV, B737-800

Boarding was a mess. There did seem to be a priority queue but when boarding started, both lanes were called together so it was a bit of a free for all. Once on board, the usual pre-departure drinks were offered and, eventually after some hurried chilling of the fizz, I was presented with a glass. The captain told us that he apologised profusely for the hour's delay but that the plane had been in Zimbabwe that day delivering supplies to those affected by the cyclone which had just happened at that point. You kinda can't complain about a delay when the reason was as given, can you?!

We got some great views of Cape Town on the way out and then a gorgeous sunset as we made our way north east towards Johannesburg.

A round of drinks was offered by the crew first before the meal trays were passed out. There was a tasty feta cheese salad to start with and I then went for the beef which wasn't actually all that bad!

Before long, the sun dipped right down and we were in darkness as we descended towards JNB.

I thanked the crew and headed off to the international terminal. I seem to have walked the entire length of JNB before I found myself at the BA lounge (which, again, was busy). I found a seat though, had a quick drink and then just decided to go to the gate.

BA54, JNB - LHR, G-XLEG, A388

I was met at the door by one of the crew and taken down to my seat, 1K. As I settled in, champagne was offered (and accepted obviously!) along with PJs and the menu for dinner and breakfast.

We took off near enough on time and the crew sprang into action when the seatbelt sign was switched off. A few rounds of drinks were made before dinner and they came with some warm nuts. The CSM also came and knelt beside me for a chat. He was really nice - his chat didn't feel "put on" like they sometimes can and we spoke for a good few minutes before he left me to my movie.

No, BA haven't started loading tabasco sauce for Bloody Marys.....I bought some mini bottles off Amazon and took my own!

Soup - delicious as always!

Salad - total lack of imagination.

The prosciutto wrapped salmon was quite good. The risotto was very tasty.

Lemongrass panna cotta was excellent! Even better when washed down with some delicious dessert wine.

Tea and whisky to finish.....

I got a great sleep overnight and was woken with a gentle pat on the shoulder as we were an hour out of LHR. Breakfast in bed? Don't mind if I do..... don't mind if I do!

Fresh fruit, yoghurt with fruit compote and granola and a smoothie to start with.

Banana pancakes which were probably the best breakfast I have had on a BA flight ever!

It was a gorgeous day above the clouds! Shame it wasn't so nice on the ground.....

We landed at a dull Heathrow just a little after 7am. I took the underground walkway across to Arrivals. It's a great way to get across to the main terminal after a long flight - always so quiet and a wee walk is great after having been horizontal for the last 12 hours!

I actually went through Arrivals and got some fresh air outside before heading back in, through the F wing check-in and into the Concorde Room. I had been wanting to see one of these in the flesh!

Given that it was the last day of my holiday, I thought it would be rude not to accept the offer of a glass of fizz when the waiter came around the tables on the terrace. I do like the fact that they seem to now have a dedicated member of staff who looks after guests on the terrace in the Concorde Room now. For too long, you were just left to your own devices if you were sitting out there but now they actually know that folk do sit out there and get thirsty just as much as those sitting inside do!

Around 10ish, I was getting peckish so went for my second breakfast..... :*oink*

After breakfast, I chilled for a few hours, charged my phone and then, before I knew it, it was time to head back to Amsterdam.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Yay! Been waiting for this, even if it means you've left SA!

Your meal choices in F are exactly what I would have gone for too ... if I ever flew F, of course. And Banana Pancakes are one of my fave breakfasts ... or indeed Belgian Waffles, which is much the same thing but with holes in it, as served in Franschhoek!

stu1985 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Lovely trip report, stu1985!

Cape Town is a special place and La Colombe is up there with the best.

I also dined solo there in 2017 and the team went out of their way to make it a great experience.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Lovely sunset as you flew from Cape Town.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Originally Posted by stu1985
I headed through security (still can't get used to not taking out laptops or liquids at Amsterdam) and headed towards the BA lounge. The BA lounge was done up a while ago but this was the first time I had visited it. A nice member of staff greeted me at the entrance and offered to swap me onto an earlier flight given that I had a long connection. I wasn't too bothered but it was a really nice gesture.
Not once have they offered to change me even when I asked as I could see that due to delays I would misconnect. They refused. Because I had checked baggage.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Coathanger
Lovely trip report, stu1985!

Cape Town is a special place and La Colombe is up there with the best.

I also dined solo there in 2017 and the team went out of their way to make it a great experience.
Thanks for reading Coathanger. It was indeed a great experience for me too.

Originally Posted by nequine
Lovely sunset as you flew from Cape Town.
Gorgeous!

Originally Posted by Cris L
Not once have they offered to change me even when I asked as I could see that due to delays I would misconnect. They refused. Because I had checked baggage.
I did wonder about my checked luggage......
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:19 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Bravo stu1985. Excellent read. You know I have some friends in Oz who to this day, still think that their holiday to South Africa was the best holiday they have ever experienced. And these are people who dont have kids so you know that they are serial holiday takers. That restaurant La Columbe looks amazing. I will be sure to take my next wife. And finally, there's a reason I knew I liked this trip report - plenty of photos of Tanqueray and Tonic.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eightblack
Bravo stu1985. Excellent read. You know I have some friends in Oz who to this day, still think that their holiday to South Africa was the best holiday they have ever experienced. And these are people who dont have kids so you know that they are serial holiday takers. That restaurant La Columbe looks amazing. I will be sure to take my next wife. And finally, there's a reason I knew I liked this trip report - plenty of photos of Tanqueray and Tonic.
This is high praise indeed from TR forum royalty! Thanks so much eightblack

I'm sure your next wife will love La Colombe. She'll love it even more when she tastes their homemade gin!
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

BA438, LHR-AMS, G-EUXI, A321

This was a really short hop across the water to Amsterdam. The crew seemed under the cosh when they started the service. It was very much "Do you want something to eat?" and "Drink?" rather than the more "Would you like....." that we are all used to. And when I still had half of my beer left in my glass, the female member of crew said "I take it that you're finished with that?"..... "Erm, no. There's still half a glass left there!".

Choice of beef and horseradish or some chickpea salad. I took the second choice. It was average.

After getting off the plane, I had my luggage back in no time and made my way into arrivals and then to the KLM desks to check my bag in for the return flight to Aberdeen. I had a good few hours so got some fresh air before making my way through to departures and in search of the KLM lounge. After a massive walk, I eventually found the new lounge which had seemingly only recently opened. Wow - this place was brand spanking new and in tip top condition. There was the Blue Bar on the top floor with a manned bar (complete with has an outdoor seating area / viewing platform) and the downstairs bit with self service drinks and a large selection of hot and cold food. I LOVED the miniature Delft Blue Houses which adorned the glass walls on the way upstairs.

I grabbed a bite to eat downstairs and then headed back up to the Blue Bar as downstairs was mobbed. Before long, it was time to head to the gate for my flight back to Aberdeen.

KL1451, AMS - ABZ, PH-BGI, B737-700

Three of us in business class tonight over three rows so a double row each which was nice.

After take off, the curtain was closed between economy and business and the member of crew asked if I wanted dinner. It was a delicious salmon salad which was actually really tasty. It was served with a cold pea gazpacho and a chocolate dessert.

I love the cups that they serve the tea in and the wee swizzle stick!

And that was that. We were back in Aberdeen just over an hour after we left Amsterdam.

I'd had a great trip to Cape Town. It is fast becoming one of my favourite cities in the world (a close second to San Francisco I think). The food and wine I had were great and we totally lucked out with the weather.

Thanks to everyone for following this TR and for all of the nice comments.

Safe travels!
aeroman380, T8191, mike&co and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Nice looking lounge in Amsterdam and yes, the wee houses are cute!

Thanks for another good TR from you. Where is the next adventure to?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Andriyko
Great TR so far stu1985! As always. Thank you very much for sharing.

KLM's breakfast is so poor. I just can't understand why they even bother. And don't get me started about that excuse for a sparkling wine.
I enjoy their little breakfast on short hops. Just had the same thing on AMS-TXL.
Old May 7, 2019, 12:14 pm

On that same BA 057 flight; but in mid-April. With the new soft-product.
Interesting to compare the meal with the old and new crockery:-

Canapes with a glass of Bellefont-Belcier

Cured Beef Bresaola
(tonnato dressing, anchovies , tomato , caper)

Very 'Meh'; too salty.

Seared Fillet of Halibut
(Brixham crab bisque, preserved lemon, buttered samphire)
Nice and 'meaty'.

Chocolate and Orange Delice
(almond granola, sugared pistachios)

Breakfast.

Classic Kedgeree of Smoked Haddock
(soft boiled egg, celery salt)
Tasty. But with a very hard-boiled egg.

stu1985, T8191 and roadwarrier like this.
Old May 11, 2019, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Nice pics! Shame about the dodgy looking breakfast!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.