Search

A Great Transcon Experience... AA First Dining at JFK and Cathay First to YVR

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
AA Compass to LAX. Ha Ha. That would have been a shocking turn of events; even if the Compass crews are pretty friendly. I missed you at the YVR airport: I was through the domestic terminal in the early morning of your LAX flight. Better flyer talk travel karma next time!
What a come down, especially when you see what AA serves for "breakfast". Small world that you were there at the same time. Good idea on your part to get out of rainy and dreary Vancouver.

Originally Posted by milfweed20
Thank you for the report SFO777, CX F looks great as always. Will also be flying CX F in September LHR-HKG.
Thanks so much milfweed. Enjoy your flight to HKG. Wise choice instead of BA.

Originally Posted by number_6
When I lived in NYC I took this flight to YVR every few months in F. About half the F pax would deplane at YVR and it was usually not full. Good way to go skiing at Whistler. The connection to SFO/LAX is not convenient in the slightest and it is not really an alternative to the transcon F flights, AA F on 3-class is competitive and much more convenient As for the champagne, while not Krug the Taitinger Comte is the same cost, so offered as a lighter taste rather than a cost reduction.
Thanks number_6. CX is a great option if one travels between NY and Vancouver.

Originally Posted by 757
Looks awesome and Cathay would be great to fly one of these days. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you 757. Hope you get the chance to fly Cathay First.

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
Great report and definitely an itinerary i need to book!
Thanks very much NYC Flyer.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
After the long walk to customs, I was officially in Canada around 1:45am. Then up to the departures level to scout for a place to hang out for 3 hours before PreClearance opened. I finally settled for a quiet corner on the mezzanine level of the food court, plugged in and did a little work. Even at 2am, the free YVR Wifi was pretty useless. I can't imagine how bad it is when there are actually passengers in the airport. I finally gave up and used Rogers cellular and my iPhone hotspot, which worked great.

At just after 4:30am, I headed for security where there was quite a crowd. Fortunately, NEXUS and Global Entry members get to bypass most. I headed for the Plaza Premium Lounge which is a Priority Pass lounge. The is the old Alaska Boardroom and still serves Alaska passengers. Not much has changed since the last time I was here. This place is as depressing as ever...

... although some of the furniture has a few more miles on it.

Just before 6am, I headed out for the long, long trek to the Gate 90-99 concourse.

YVR-LAX
AA 6072
E75
6:44am-9:45am
April 5, 2019

Simply a lovely morning in Vancouver.

From Cathay First to AA First. What a depressing change. As for a meal today, can AA get any worse? AA/Compass breakfast was advertised as "strawberry pastry" which was true I guess.
The fruit was the only edible part of the meal. 15,000 Avios is about right on this one.

aeroman380 likes this.

Last edited by SFO777; Apr 6, 2019 at 1:59 pm
Old Apr 6, 2019, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO777

That's gotta win an award for being comically bad. I mean was it somebody's last day at work and they thought, screw it, I'm going to make a breakfast sandwich out of 1 strawberry, some granola, and is that cream cheese?

I need to get back to the pointy end of the plane. Been spending too much time in the back
Old Apr 7, 2019, 4:54 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
nice way to get to L.A,, reminds me of a time, I fly ATL-DFW-LHR-LAX, the same on the return, because it was somehow cheaper then flying ATL -LAX
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Come on AA. That breakfast looks terrible. Has a Strawberry pastry ever been on a menu anywhere?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Once you deconstructed that apple pie tart my stomach became somewhat deconstructed as well.

I haven't seen that on any menu anywhere. Don't the 175's have ovens?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I prefer the AA inflight meal! At least if I wonna loose weight....

Last edited by offerendum; Apr 13, 2019 at 10:01 am
Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Lovely report again SFO777 - JFK-YVR on CX is a real gem - I did it in Business a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the flight and the great approach up to YVR.

Funnily enough the time I flew YVR-LAX had a great crew and nice steel cut oatmeal for breakfast. Views heading down the coastline were stunning
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA
What the ever-loving f*&ck is that breakfast?
offerendum and jdrtravel like this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
The fact that the leftmost glass seems to have its own gravitational field is tripping me out...
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Another wonderful report. This is probably my favorite North American flight. Disappointed to see that CX is no longer serving Krug on this leg, although Tattinger Comtes is nothing to scoff at.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Nice report. As lovely as the product looks, I can't imagine that middle of the night layover. I honestly think I'd rather fly nonstop in coach. I do really wish that the foreign carriers would be allowed to fly the domestic transcons (or rather, sell tickets on them as some do fly them).
Old May 15, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
The Transborder PP lounge is an incredibly sad example. The new domestic PP on the other hand... is quite good, and on par with the MLL IMO.
Old May 17, 2019, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Thanks for reminding me about this, SFO777... I'm going to fly this routing in CX F myself (again) and then overnight at the airport, then lunch on dim sum, then take the train home to Seattle. Perhaps even try to bake this as a YVR stopover to Asia, India or Sri Lanka using AS miles...
Old May 19, 2019, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Nice report as usual.

Flew this last year and agree it's got to be the best way to cross the continent. Sat in F on the outbound and had a great crew, only one other pax on board. I was so full by the time I passed out. Because the return leg from YVR was so short I just went with J seeing as how all I really planned to do was sleep. Ended up with the same FA that had be serving me in F on the outbound flight ironically enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.