Venice To Zagreb

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Venice To Zagreb

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2019, 2:17 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Another great TR from you with fantastically beautiful photographs to go along with it.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
Thanks for this!
Thank you, offerendum.
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Daniel,
Great trip and report. Thanks for sharing.
That Christmas market in Ljublijiana looked really festive!
Did you encounter any issues (with authorities) regarding flying drone anywhere?
Was there any airport formality during your international to international transit at SVO?
By coincidence, I have been contemplating a train trip from Northern Italy to Ljubljiana, Zagreb and perhaps Sarajevo. Thanks for doing most of the homework for me! Did you buy all your train tickets online or while you are on location (noted on one occasion you mentioned getting ticket for “tomorrow”)?
Thanks, allset2travel. Luckily no issues with the drone. My old Mavic was taken off me at a domestic airport in Ethiopia once. I got it back when I flew out of Addis though.
For SVO international transit there is just a passport check (although no visa is required) and then security check.
I researched the train tickets on Seat61.com before I left. All were buy at the station and they never are sold out. I bought the train ticket for Zagreb the day before as it was leaving early on Sunday morning and wasn't sure if the ticket office would be open and there wasn't any ticket machines. The ticket office was open though and turns out I didn't need to buy it in advance.
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
Love the drone footage. Have you run into any issues in any of these countries yet with the drone (forgive me if it's been asked before)?
Cheers, Uncle Nonny. My drone was confiscated once at Mekele Airport security once. I got it back when I flew out of the country though.
Originally Posted by halfcape
Wow, another great TR. Now you have added great drone photos. Thank you for taking us on another trip!
Many thanks, halfcape. Yes, great to get the aerial bid's eye-view.
Originally Posted by fivevsone
the drone footage is amazing and adds such an awesome element to the story.
thanks a ton, t
Thanks, fivevsone Yes, the drone gives things a brand new perspective.
Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
Daniel, another incredible report. I spent a few days in Venice nearly 10 years ago and you did a whole lot more than I did. The thing I loved the most about Venice was the quietness (if you were not near the Grand Canal). I took the train from Rome and it was always loud and noisy. Venice was a very nice respite. I was able to capture some great life shots of Venice but your pictures put mine to shame.
The island and the Mary of Assumption Church in Zabgreb was indeed very postcard-like. Send that to their visitor's bureau.
Thank you, HawaiiTrvlr. Yes, Rome was a little underwhelming for me. Venice, at least in the off-season, is such a nicer, laid-back and more interesting place to visit.
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Love this trip report. Photographs of Venice are exquisite. Thanks
Cheers, obscure2k. Yes, Venice is such a beautiful and photogenic city.
Originally Posted by 757
As always, an amazing report and photos. I would love to visit Slovenia and Lake Bled, and my wife and I were actually seriously considering that for this summer. But, we're planning to head to Vienna and Budapest instead this time.
Love all the drone pics!
Thank you, 757. Vienna and Budapest will be a great trip. Hopefully you can squeeze in Bratislava too.
Originally Posted by gaobest
Beautiful TR as always. I love Venice and look forward to my return.
Thanks, gaobest, I can't wait for a return trip to Venice too.
Originally Posted by nequine
Another great TR from you with fantastically beautiful photographs to go along with it.
Many thanks, nequine. Hopefully some more travels and photos coming soon.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Have to ask...Does Dubai International Airport operate during daylight hours?
fivevsone and nequine like this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Excellent report thanks.

I've been to all those places, most recently Zagreb and loved it. It's 20 years since I went to Venice and maybe it's time to return.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: Priority Club (Platinum)
Thanks for a wonderful trip report! I went to Venice for a short visit last year, and went through Croatia but didn't go to Zagreb. The coast of Croatia is really picturesque and worth a visit, from Trieste southward..

The drone pictures of Venice really brought out a new perspective of it! You do a great job using it.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
DanielW,
Thanks for your reply re train tickets etc...
Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold
Great report and great photos as usual. My mother is from Venice and my grandmother was from Trieste. You have traveled in "my" part of Italy and yet your photos amazed me. Great use of the drone in Venice, Trieste and Bled. I love Venice, Trieste and Slovenia.
By the way, next time you fly to Venice get a window seat on the right hand side of the plane. 99.5% of the time you have a view of the city before landing. Much better than Porto Marghera!
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
Have to ask...Does Dubai International Airport operate during daylight hours?
I think I see a few EK planes flying over the city during the day.
Originally Posted by lhrpete
Excellent report thanks.
I've been to all those places, most recently Zagreb and loved it. It's 20 years since I went to Venice and maybe it's time to return.
Thank you, lhrpete. Venice is a city I definitely need a return visit to too.
Originally Posted by iaflyer
Thanks for a wonderful trip report! I went to Venice for a short visit last year, and went through Croatia but didn't go to Zagreb. The coast of Croatia is really picturesque and worth a visit, from Trieste southward..
The drone pictures of Venice really brought out a new perspective of it! You do a great job using it.
Cheers, iaflyer. A road trip down the Croatian coast would be a great idea, some of the towns on the coast look so very photogenic.
Originally Posted by londonfog
Great report and great photos as usual. My mother is from Venice and my grandmother was from Trieste. You have traveled in "my" part of Italy and yet your photos amazed me. Great use of the drone in Venice, Trieste and Bled. I love Venice, Trieste and Slovenia.
By the way, next time you fly to Venice get a window seat on the right hand side of the plane. 99.5% of the time you have a view of the city before landing. Much better than Porto Marghera!
Many thanks, londonfog. Yes, such a beautiful part of the world, would love to go back for a longer visit in warmer weather. Looking down on Venice while on finals to VCE must be quite a sight too.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Did you encounter any issues (with authorities) regarding flying drone anywhere?
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
Love the drone footage. Have you run into any issues in any of these countries yet with the drone (forgive me if it's been asked before)?
This occurred to me too. Did you need a permit or permission to fly your drone in and around Venice and Zagreb?

Beautiful images!
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:12 pm

Programs: QF, CX, BA
Fantastic aerial pics of Venice, rarely seen like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by peter h
This occurred to me too. Did you need a permit or permission to fly your drone in and around Venice and Zagreb?
Beautiful images!
Thank you, peter h. I am registered here to fly in Dubai but couldn't find anything similar for Europe.
Originally Posted by mitellic
Fantastic aerial pics of Venice, rarely seen like this.
Many thanks, mitellic. Yes, such a breathtakingly beautiful city.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Awesome TR - your pics are amazing - thank you - brought back wonderful memories of Venice - Ljubljana and Lake Bled
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by DanielW
Thank you, pjs. The horseburger was pretty tasty. Just like McDonald's but with real meat..
So glad to read this! Whenever I tell people about these amazing horseburgers I once had in Slovenia they just recoil in disgust. They are legitimately tasty burgers.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Great pics as usual. I have yet to visit Slovenia, though I'd like to. The Superjet 100 is a neat little plane, I was fortunate enough to get a ride on an Interjet operated one a few years ago though it was in a 2-2 config as you may or may not remember Gotta love rare planes!
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:36 pm

Thank you for sharing. The food and wine looked amazing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.