Reload this Page >

I am a traveler, like my father before me. Around the world in F & J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I am a traveler, like my father before me. Around the world in F & J

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
What an amazing and brave routing back from HKG! Sorry SA treated you to some of their all-too-frequent messes, but glad everything worked out via Lagos and Germany!!
Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I was a bit surprised at the adventurous southing via Lagos and Germany. Granted, LH C class is preferable to SA + domestic connection, but the potential for a huge snafu in LOS, or a missed connection would have been too great for me in exchange for 30 minutes earlier arrival. I'll bet you were glad to be home. Great TR!
I was very glad to be home, and thank you for reaching along.

You are 100% correct about the risk of my return routing but what I didn't really have the bandwidth to convey when writing that portion of the TR is that the original reschedule was 10 am and while I was making this decision it got moved from to the afternoon and I lost all faith in SA 203 taking off. Also, the urge to just be moving in the right direction took over. I was so desperate for a concrete plan I took what I could get, and went. I definitely got lucky, there is no doubt about that!

Last edited by Madone59; Oct 21, 2019 at 4:07 am Reason: tpyo
Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Part 10: In Conclusion

I want to thank everyone who took the time to read this trip report, and waited through my long delays to get to the end. I'll admit I've stopped even trying to keep up with all of the comments and support because so many of them are deeply personal in their own right I don't want to just throw a thumbs up or a "Thanks" to stories and posts about traveling with family, or parents lost or memories cherished. Writing this took a lot out of me, and at times I was completely overwhelmed by the support, emotions and appreciation this brought out of the community in both this thread and through PM's.

I hope this report encourages some to take their trip while they still can, but if it doesn't that's OK. Like I said, I did it all for a single photograph.

Until next time. Yours, Madone59

Presented with the permission of my father: "Reflection" in black and white

Last edited by Madone59; Jun 17, 2019 at 5:16 pm
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:40 pm

Wonderful report, truly remarkable.

When my late dad struggled up the stairs to board CPT-FRA back in 2009, I knew there and then he was experiencing his last long haul flight. A year later, he passed away - however during that last year, we reminisced many times about our shared travels to Ireland, Canada and South Africa.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Thank you for spending the time and energy to share your amazing trip with us—and for reminding us to take time to appreciate the blessings of the loved ones in our lives.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 4:06 am

Programs: Meh
'Reflection' photo is very special, so much more than you experienced that moment with your Dad!
Madone59 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 5:55 am

Programs: CX Silver
I think it is a wonderful photo with Victoria Harbour as a backdrop. Thank you for sharing this trip with us.
Madone59 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Titanium, Hertz - President's Circle
Excellent Read

Thanks for the great TR!!! Great personal insight and wonderful food insight. As i told you, next time i'm in SIN i'll check out the Changi market.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:06 pm

Thank you for this wonderful trip report.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Easily one of the best TRs of all time on this website. Yes, it was *that* special! Thank you so much for your time and effort in putting this together. It is greatly appreciated.

Can't imagine having a weak stomach in Africa while boarding a plane after a delay of almost a day!
Old Jun 17, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: Marriot LT Titanium/Hertz PC/UA 1MM 1K
Fantastic TR. One for the ages here and personally for yourself. Thanks for sharing. Great writing.
What a bummer of a headache back! Ugh what a way to end it!
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP (probably nothing w/ AA next year :)), Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Incredible. Thanks for inspiring me.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 11:48 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
What a great TR. It was great to read, and also touched a few heart strings regarding travelling with your Dad. I had a lovely trip to Florence with my Dad. as my second last opportunity to see him. Looks like you had a great time with your had.

Thanks for sharings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.