Reload this Page >

I am a traveler, like my father before me. Around the world in F & J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I am a traveler, like my father before me. Around the world in F & J

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:39 pm

Great TR so far! Looking forward to the rest.

That looks like Jeremy Clarkson on the screen, btw.
1P likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I am just glad to know that someone else besides me carries a flashlight. LOL

I am really enjoying this TR, in part, because I am enjoying you sharing it with your Dad. Good show.
Madone59 Great opportunity to "connect" with your dad. There are score of us here who did not have a chance like that. Do repeat !^

The flashlight reminds me of my late Father in Law, always had one handy.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:47 pm

A new report from SFO777 AND Madone59?! Don't you folks know that I have things to do and can't be setting aside time to read these great reports.

As others have stated more eloquently, this is a really cool experience with your dad. I hope you post his conclusion about today's travel vs. travel during his time.
roadwarrier likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by lamphs
A new report from SFO777 AND Madone59?! Don't you folks know that I have things to do and can't be setting aside time to read these great reports.
Thanks for the comment on my blog - I'd have missed a Madone59 TR otherwise! This is soooooo awesome!
Old Mar 9, 2019, 1:09 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Love your captions, absolutely hilarious...
Glad that you came out victorious of your struggle with the alarm clock thanks to Divine intervention.
And the odd typo makes your report even more fun: remind me to order "needle" soup next time I'm flying with JAL...
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:43 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Wonderful report, pictures and wordage.. (is wordage a word?)
Enjoying reading and seeing your report... more please
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:04 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Originally Posted by JohnRain
Love your captions, absolutely hilarious...
Glad that you came out victorious of your struggle with the alarm clock thanks to Divine intervention.
That part really had me grinning.

Looking forward to more.
JohnRain likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
What a lovely ode to your father. I feared you were writing this due to recently losing him. It was a joy to learn you were anchoring the reason for getting your father on the road with you. Well done.
Thank you SanDiego1K. Yes he is very much alive, though I he was out walking more on this trip than he has in a long time he may argue otherwise

Originally Posted by 757
Looking forward to this report!
Originally Posted by benjahman
hot damn! this is going to be a good one! looking forward to it Madone59
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
Really looking forward this report!!!
Originally Posted by 1P
Will be reading this with great interest!
Thank you. I've been looking forward to writing it!

Originally Posted by DanielW
Looking forward to this epic, four continent RTW adventure!
Thanks DanielW I do need to get to Australia or New Zealand, Antarctica and South America to complete the list some time don't I??

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
What a moving introduction to your TR!!
Looks like a great trip - so looking forward to the rest with loads of photos of course.
Thank you roadwarrier. It was a great trip, and there are lots of photos!

Originally Posted by chongl
It's been a long time coming...Madone59 returns! Now we just need to page JohnRain
chongl I tell JohnRain this regularly!!!!! WE need to get him off the bench now too.

Originally Posted by Fly'nAAgain
I love the heartfelt words about your father and the wanderlust that it spawned in you. Some of my fondest travel memories are of trips with my parents as we moved to Japan, back to the US and then much later to the UK and eventually back home. I've never forgotten those flights and today still love to get on a plane and go somewhere. I look forward to reading about the journey.
Traveling with parents gets more fun as you get older, I enjoyed it more than I expected - especially when we started in on the beers.

Originally Posted by SFO777
What a wonderful and emotional introduction. You really touched my heart with this as I did something so similar with my dad nearly 10 years when we did a round the world on SQ, overnighting in Frankfurt, Singapore and Hong Kong along the way. I'm really looking forward to seeing and feeling your trip.
Thank you SFO777 I actually went back and read that TR before this trip and it got me fired up.

What a lovely and emotional introduction!
I wasn't fortunate enough to go on such a trip with my father but I did it on two occasions with my mom and it was perfect, as I'm sure yours was too...
Looking forward to discovering this very special jouney.
Thank you for the kind words, and for following along JohnRain. This was indeed something I feel lucky to have done.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Great report thus far. JAL F looks amazing!
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Chapter 2: Humidity and Food

Traveling alone is a very special experience I've come to enjoy. I like to get up and go, eat when I am hungry and walk until my feet fall off. I like to wonder around just exploring, letting my camera lead the way, but the first day in Singapore was a big splash of cold water on my aimless wondering ways. We hadn't been up an hour when I was fielding questions such as.......

"Where are we going?"
"How long will it take?"
"How far away is it, and how do we get there?"
"Why is the sky blue"
"What are we eating for lunch, and how far is lunch from where we're going?"
"What are we going to do after that"
"When will we be back to the hotel?"

Not only did I not have answers to like 80% of those questions, I had zero interest in finding them. This, this was going to be a challenge...also how the hell did we start our eating in Singapore at the Marriott lounge breakfast buffet? Is this a fever dream? Maybe I am still asleep in the plane? Is this what being on drugs is like?? We're in Sing-a-freaking-pore eating corn flakes and soporific dim-sum, someone help. I was definitely not in [ solo travel] Kansas anymore Toto - dad wanted a western breakfast and he got it. Soggy bacon and all. After much consternation and a soupcon of bickering we had a plan for the day. We'd head out towards the Singapore Flyer ferris wheel to see what we could of the Grand Prix track, eat lunch near Chinatown and visit the tooth temple which my father had been to before and really wanted to see again. We headed out onto Orchard road to walk and start moving in the right direction; but first.....

....let me take a selfie

Balloon art. Downward dog

Puddles

Squat

About a mile after leaving the hotel my dad had had enough of the wondering....and the heat....so he flagged down a cab and we went right to the flyer and the track.

Unfortunately the grid and straight were swarmed by construction of bleachers for some upcoming parade but it was very cool to walk around turns 22 and 23 which are closed off to regular traffic.

Turn 22

Exiting turn 22 towards pit entry, turn 23 and the front straight

At pit entry

Curb at turn 23

Singapore logo on the outside of 23

After taking more pictures of asphalt than I am willing to admit, blessing the track for Lewis Hamilton AND blowing kisses to the spot where both Ferrari's crashed in 2017 as a loving middle finger to my friend @JohnRain it was time for lunch. Because China town and Tooth were on the list it was an easy choice to make Hawker Chan Soya Sauce Chicken Rice & Noodle our first lunch. Famously one of the worlds cheapest Michelin star restaurants I couldn't think of a better first meal back in Singapore for my dad

Just perfect!

I was pleasantly surprised how quickly the line moved at noon, but there was an out the door wait as we left which I would not have wanted to wait in. I have been checking Youtube regularly because there was an Indian foodie show taping while we were there - so if anyone see's my purple hat in the background some day let me know! What an awesome lunch. Time to walk it off through Chinatown.

Street art

"We need to go here!"
"Ok dad. Let's do it"

The Chinatown complex is multiple floors of small shops and stalls. While wondering around my father reminisced that this is where most of our gifts came from. Last minute wonders through the hallways and corridors before heading to the airport.

Just watching him scan the stalls and displays was a blast. You could see the gears turning on what was new, and what was old.

Not lego's

They say it's good luck

I am the year of the boar, and 2019 is my year!

Restaurant among the shops

All in all the Chinatown main drag, and the shopping complex felt like a bit of a tourist trap. Not that I am opposed to tourist traps, it just felt inauthentic un-like little India which we'd explore later in the trip. At the end of the street was the temple.

Stepping into Tooth was breathtaking, and If you have never been I highly recommend it. There was so much to see, and so much to take in - I could have wondered around for hours.

After countless laps of the main floor, and visits to the exhibits on the upper floors it was time to find a cold beer so we wondered until we bumped into The Guild; which we picked for no reason at all.

Good advise

After a relaxing beer it was time for a hotel rest and pit-stop so we wondered back towards main Chinatown where we knew we'd find a cab.

Lanterns

Roller'

After our pit-stop which turned out to be a little bit of a nap it was dinner time. Struggling to stay awake we wanted to be close to the hotel, eat early and get to bed so we headed across the street to ION mall. Now I know you're probably reading that we went to ION and spitting out your beverage in shock or disgust, especially after I complained about the lounge breakfast but hear me out! I asked a local where to find good dumplings, and was pointed us to Din Tai Fung - been there done that - so I pushed a little harder and asked where would a local go and he recommended basement level 4 of the ION mall which had a "very popular food court" Food opera. Specifically we were pointed to fortunate restaurant, and I will tell you it was absolutely amazing. Fortunate was great but the whole level was crammed with different stalls so after a few dim-sum dishes we moved around and tried a few other places, each better than the last.

No this wasn't our order

This was

Chicken wings

and this....Char siu

Absolutely stuffed, and wondering around as if we had discovered something we headed back to the hotel and went down with the sun.

Next: Part 3 Dan can't read a map A.K.A Serendipity

Last edited by Madone59; Jun 8, 2019 at 6:33 pm
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: M&M mainly
I need to be subscribed! Definitely! Thanks for the great beginning
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:53 am

Like many others, truly enjoying your report and remembering my own Dad. While I didn’t get to do a trip like this with him, I did get to blow some USAirways points and take dear old Mom to Italy in Envoy class long before anyone had heard of lie flat seats. She still thought she had died and gone to heaven.

Looking forward to the rest of your report especially your father’s impressions on the differences from his flying days.

Thanks for including us!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Madone59

After taking more pictures of asphalt than I am willing to admit, blessing the track for Lewis Hamilton AND blowing kisses to the spot where both Ferrari's crashed in 2017 as a loving middle finger to my friend @JohnRain it was time for lunch.
Love it LH44 coming for WDC #6 , although this season seems like things will be closer than ever
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:26 am

Great trip report.. I recently took a trip like this with my baby girl ( now 34 ) and loved every minute of it. Great experience.....
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I am just glad to know that someone else besides me carries a flashlight. LOL

I am really enjoying this TR, in part, because I am enjoying you sharing it with your Dad. Good show.
You carry a flash light too? We'll you're in good company - thanks for following along

Originally Posted by Buster
Great TR so far! Looking forward to the rest. That looks like Jeremy Clarkson on the screen, btw.
Thanks. YES It is Clarkson, but WHO was he interviewing? There are two acceptable answers....

Originally Posted by HMPS
Madone59 Great opportunity to "connect" with your dad. There are score of us here who did not have a chance like that. Do repeat !^

The flashlight reminds me of my late Father in Law, always had one handy.
Thank's. This was a great trip, and he's kinda already taking about going back for his 75th in two years.

Originally Posted by lamphs
As others have stated more eloquently, this is a really cool experience with your dad. I hope you post his conclusion about today's travel vs. travel during his time.
Hahahah. If it make you feel better I felt the same way because how am I supposed to focus on writing my TR when I am busy reading SFO's

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Thanks for the comment on my blog - I'd have missed a Madone59 TR otherwise! This is soooooo awesome!
Thanks you ironmanjt. I'm not going to lie - it's good to be back and I am already thinking about my next trip

And the odd typo makes your report even more fun: remind me to order "needle" soup next time I'm flying with JAL...
You're worse than my wife LOL. I have fixed the error but appreciate you memorializing AND actually reading along.

Originally Posted by fotographer
Wonderful report, pictures and wordage.. (is wordage a word?)
Enjoying reading and seeing your report... more please
Glad you're enjoying fotographer ^^

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
That part really had me grinning. Looking forward to more.
I am glad you're enjoying roadwarrier
JohnRain likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.