Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Gorilla trekking in Rwanda, my best travel experience ever (video)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2019, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum Executive, LH Frequent Flyer

Last January, I enjoyed one my best travel experiences ever: gorilla trekking in Rwanda's Volcanoes National Park. I booked the gorilla permir via Wilderness Safaris. A gorilla permit in Rwanda costs $1500 USD, twice the price of a permit in neighboring Uganda.

We gathered at 7 am at the National Park's headquarter, after which we driven by our guides to the starting point of the trek with a trail leading to the forest's edge. The scenery is beautiful, with massive volcanoes dominating the lush landscape. Once inside the rainforest, the hike became more strenuous but nothing too bad (mostly on flat terrain through bamboo vegetation). After 90 minutes, we reached the gorillas, and could stay with them for one hour. We tracked the Sabyonyo group, one of the easier to reach families of gorillas, which is famous for its enormous silverback Guhonda, the largest and oldest silverback in Ugansa.

We were extremely lucky with our gorilla tracking: we got some bluff charges by a silverback towards the end of our stay with the gorillas, and a baby gorilla even touched my travel companion (all captured on camera, cf clip below).

Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Very nice!
Out of sheer curiosity, why Rwanda over Uganda or DRC for the trek?
Thanks for sharing
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:08 am

Am I correct you need a Yellow Fever shot for Rwanda?
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, BA Executive Club, LH Miles & More, Air Asia BigShot, Les Collectioneurs
Also have seen your video on the resort in Rwanda. Amazing footage and place!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.