Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Christkindlesmarkt villages in Germany via British Airways and Lufthansa First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Christkindlesmarkt villages in Germany via British Airways and Lufthansa First Class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Nice start to your report! We just missed each other by 2 days flying out from Vancouver to London!
Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: FB Gold, Hilton Diamond, some others as well
Great TP so far! Looking forward to the rest!
Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:07 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Thanks for the TR. That food is substandard biz, certainly not First. And the wines are OK for biz but not appropriate for international First. Really!

Just a little bit of translation help re the lounges, if you'd be so kind: is a lounger the same thing as an armchair in your terminology? I'd think of a lounger as something like a reclining deck chair with a foot rest.
Babaduck likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 5:04 pm

BA First looks like Etihad Business!
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:36 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Looks great so far and looking forward to the rest. BA F looks nice, but the food and seat looks a bit lacking compared to other reports I've seen of international F class products.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Keep up the good work, excellent as always ^
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels

Good grief!! Ketel One Vodka, Tanqueray Gin and then Highland Queen Scotch??? They really want to chase the Scotch drinkers away

Great report so far, looking forward to much more.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:07 pm

Great report

Looking forward to the rest of the post.

Curious to see how you booked the Luftansa award and the strategy behind it
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Not the best F-performance....
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
British Airways – The Concorde Room
London Heathrow Terminal 5

We arrived at London Heathrow Gate 340. As I got off the plane, we followed the purple connections path. It is always a maze at Heathrow and I doubt I will ever get the opportunity to fully know it’s design secrets.

The transfer over from Terminal 3 to Terminal 5 occurred on the semi-secure side. We bussed ourselves over where, on arrival to Termina 5, security took a run at examining the Refinery Amenity Kit that I had just picked up from the First Class flight. As my bag entered the secondary channel behind that plexiglass wall, not only did I have to wait 5 secondary bag screening examinations until they could get to mine, but they were a bit surprised at how many toiletries British Airways had given out with said kit. Even another economy passenger from some other flight was impressed. After another 15 minutes lost, the screeners eventually threw me a new plastic bag and told me to beat it.

We headed over towards the Concorde Room and eventually found the non-descript “millionaire’s” door. After we were screened in at the host at the outdoor podium, “please see my colleague inside”, we were admitted entry into the best lounge that British Airways had to offer.

It was my first visit to The Concorde Room. Immediately in the entry area was a grand piano. Unlike the Asiana First Class lounge, this one actually offered passengers the opportunity to play it. Although throughout my visit, I didn’t see anyone make a piano playing attempt.

Having done a little advance research, we headed straight out to the indoor terrace balcony to set up and pass our time tonight. The lounge has been recently refreshed in the last year or so and looks quite comfortable.

The terrace had over concourse views, which is better than looking into a wall or some other cargo container view. There were also nice sun set views casting a warm glow over the terminal during our visit.

I didn’t bother to have booked a travel spa experience this trip as it was more of an inconvenience than a perk the last time I went through.

The bar in the Concorde Room was a lovely addition to the lounge. I ended up ordering a Gin Fixx drink, along with a Laurent Perrier Grand Sciele. While I was out exploring, MrsWT73 had ordered me a macaroni and cheese. It came while I was around taking photographs and was actually surprisingly tasty.

There isn’t any food out on offer in the Concorde Room. All the food is ordered off menu where waiters bring it over to you. You can also dine in the dining area; which we didn’t visit this time around. I actually found the ordering "a la carte" to be a bit of a pain. It would have been nicer to have something light to snack on that was easy to get without having to wait for it.

MrsWT73 actually quite enjoyed the Concorde Room. She particularly liked the attention to detail for the drinks made at the bar, and the spacious terrace and views from it. Although not one of the world’s best lounges, it would probably be in my top ten. I’d be happy to spend a much longer layover here. Unfortunately, a lot of connection time was lost thanks to ground operations and over zealous security screeners.
wrp96 and roadwarrier like this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
British Airways
BA 956 – Club Europe Business Class (U)
LHR-MUC (London Heathrow Terminal 3 – Munich)
December 8, 2018
05:20 PM – 8:15 PM
Booked: Airbus 320
Flown: Airbus 319

The boarding gate was not posted until about T-40 minutes. At about T-30 minutes, we left The Concorde Room. Using the opposite entrance, we headed down past the British Airways Galleries First Lounge into the retail duty free mayhem over towards Gate A12. Heathrow Terminal 5 was nicely decorated tonight with Christmas coming near.

The boarding was a mess at the gate, mostly due to poor planning and space constraints around the gate. Gate A12 appears to be almost directly under a terrace staircase which contained access and mazes. Despite the plane only being an Airbus 319, the gate area was packed.

We made our way over to the Group 1 boarding area and queued. There was another 10 minute flight delay thanks to the late arrival of the inbound aircraft.

Eventually, we got on board. The seating configuration is the standard European economy seat with a blocked middle. I didn’t bother to pay for a seat assignment for this leg and as a result, I ended up seated apart from MrsWT73. Truth be told, I didn’t bother to engage in the seat swap discussion that appears to be common in Club Europe on my last few BA flights.

We had a long taxi over to the take off runway and were eventually underway.

Thankfully, tonight’s light dinner was DO & CO catered. The food was miles ahead of the First Class food I’d had on the inbound flight, which is saying something for a short haul Club Europe. It was a light beef salad, paired with a Tanqueray Gin along with Fever Tree light tonic tonight. Although it was a smaller snack, it was tasty and really appreciated; much better than buy on board.

We had a windy landing in Munich. Once we were off, we had a friendly immigration agent ask me a few questions and we were stamped into Europe without issues. Since I was travelling with carry on only, we bypassed the baggage hall and headed for the S8 train into the Munich Hautbahnhof pretty quickly.

Sadly, the British Airways Club Europe food experience was better on this segment than the long haul in First Class. I still can’t figure out how these European Airlines get away with the same economy seats sold as business up front? While it’s nice to have a blocked seat, it isn’t all that useful or comfortable.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Le Meridien Munich.
Suite, King

We stepped off the S8 and arrived the Munich Hautbahnhoff, which was all decorated for Christmas.

We walked out the south door. The Le Meriden Munich is right across the street from the Hautbahnoff and next door to the Aloft. The Meridien's location, although not in the nicest neighbourhood of Munich, is exceptionally convenient to access Munich's transit systems. It’s also within reasonable walking distance of Marienplatz. Some photos from throughout the stay.

Along with a daytime photo from the next day. . .

We found our way into the lobby at about 9 PM where there was no line to check in. The lobby is a reasonable space and there were often people hanging out there.

Our reservation for this stay was on a back to back reservation with two booking numbers. One half of our reservation was on a free night award courtesy of the Canadian Starwood Preferred Guest American Express card and the other night was on a cash basis. On top of this, 2 suite night awards had cleared into a Suite separately on both reservations. The front desk host was able to merge our reservation(s) and keep us in the same room so we wouldn’t have to transfer mid stay.

We self led ourselves to Room 525, which was a corner suite. The room was a great and comfortable size, and just the thing we needed after a long day of traveling.

There was a separate seating area, along with a sofa bed that was actually comfortable to sit on.

The bedroom faced the street side. It had a nice comfortable bed which was great for relaxing. Unfortunately, the street side is quite noisy with both ambulances, street cars and a taxi stand within proximity of the North Side of the hotel. This made getting a restful sleep a little challenging at times.

The bathroom had a separate dressing area, which was convenient for getting ready.

The bathroom was the standard variety; nothing all too special.

This hotel participates in Make a Green Choice.

During our stay, we enjoyed two great SPG Platinum Breakfast(s). The breakfast was offered 6:30 AM to 10 AM on weekdays and 7:00 AM to 1 PM on weekends. We were able to roll in at 11:00 AM on Sunday morning which was really appreciated after a late and jet lagged arrival the night before. The breakfast space is the contemporary breakfast room where a cheery attendant led us to available seats.

The breakfast offered an egg station, espresso coffee machines and free pour prosecco sparkling wine on the weekends only.

The hotel also offers a small bar / lounge. The lounge was typically full and appeared to be difficult to get a seat in, often resulting in customer spill over into the lobby. This was a pay lounge and not a dedicated lounge for Club Level or Platinum members.

All in all, I was really satisfied with the Le Meridien Munich. The hotel offered a comfortable stay and met everything for our needs in the area. The breakfast was substantial and the condition of the room was in solid shape. I also enjoyed Le Meridien Munich more than our past stays in Munich in the Arrabella Park areas where the hotels are a little older. The only minus was the room assignment which faced the street As a result, it was a little noisier than we would have liked. I would have asked for a room assignment facing the back or courtyard of the hotel if it was offered.
roadwarrier and nequine like this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Munich, Germany.

We woke up at about 10:30 AM and had a late Brunch breakfast in the hotel restaurant.

The weather was unfortuately rainy today, making it less than ideal for a day of sightseeing. We walked from the hotel two long blocks down to Karlsplatz. Karlsplatz was festively decorated with a temporary skating rink. It marked the unofficial start of the Munich Christmas Market.

We wandered down Neuhauser Street towards Marienplatz. It wasn’t hard to find the Christmas market. They were lined up all down the street and open for business.

We stopped for our first Gluewein at a booth near Michaelskirche. Most of the booths have a small drinking area that is inside and protected from the elements.

We contined on towards Marienplatz. There were heaps of Christmas market booths. Despite this, the weather and rain didn’t let up.

Despite the weather, the crowds were out in strength at Marienplatz.

After taking in the sights at Marienplatz, we headed over to Hofbrähaus. Hofbrähaus is just off the Marienplatz and only a few blocks away. It was a smart idea to get us out of the rain and get somewhere dry downtown.

Although it’s a bit touristy in here, it’s always a fun time. This afternoon, there was an omm pa pa band playing. I had a litre of beer (one serving) and MrsWT73 had a few wines.

We headed back towards the hotel from the Hofbrähaus then over through Marienplatz wandering through the Christmas villages. The sun had set and the Christmas lights were out in full display.

We headed back towards the hotel with another stop up for Gluhwein. Our next stop was next to a wood burning bon fire which was a lot more comfortable in the rain.

Even the nearby stores at Kaufhoff were decorated with Christmas displays, which entertained the kiddies.

The rain did not seem to deter many. The Munich residents were out in force on a Saturday night.

I took a quick peek into the church near Kalsplatz on the way back; just to get out of the rain. It’s so non descript, you’d pretty much walk right by it without even noticing it there.

We headed back toward the hotel past Hirmler department store and back to the hotel to relax. I hate to admit it, but we had one last Glüwhein at the ice rink at Karlsplatz. The rink was coated into a nice blue color for the evening.

Our first night in Munich was pretty quick. We had the usual jet lag but made the most of it taking in some local activities. It was a nice experience to mark Christmas Market #1, despite the bad weather!
exoz95, wrp96, Xizm and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nequine
Good start to your latest TR

I was going to say I was surprised at their being no BA lounge in the airport but then after seeing it compared to the others, I can see why you went elsewhere! Vancouver airport looks quite nice!
Thanks for your continued support nequine. Although new, the YVR BA lounge is surprisingly small for a city thats' served by A380 aircraft in the summer.

Originally Posted by stevie
Great TR, bang on re BA F and the lounge having flown this recently. CX as per normal leaves BA way behind in terms of lounges.
I totally agree with you Stevie; it's not just the lounges, the business class seat is also much better on CX as well.

Originally Posted by Andriyko
Great trip report and pictures. thank you very much for sharing!
Thank's Andriyko; I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by fotographer
Lovely report, so far... waiting for more,....
its seems by your pic's you spend more time taking them , then enjoying yourself.....
Ha ha fotographer. After several of these reports, it's best to take a whole bunch then just delete the extras. It makes for more interesting reading.

Originally Posted by enviroian
Alberta beef?
Jerusalem potato?
Provencale tomato?
LOL

Good lord BA get rid of the silly descriptors.

Great report thank you! The CX lounge looks great whereas the BA lounge looks awful and way too small to support all the chairs they stuffed in there.

That F product looks horrible and like you said circa 1990. The IFE screen!?

BA is living in the dark ages. It's time for them to dump those bucket o' bolts 744's in the desert and chop 'em up.
As you've correctly identified enviroian, the BA lounge is a tiny space for the furniture they have stuffed in there. The food onboard needs a bit of improvement. The names add nothing to the experience except for disappointment when you see how it's plated and tastes.

Originally Posted by chongl
Lovely report so far. Awaiting the rest
Thanks chongi...

Originally Posted by bosman
Really looking forward to the rest of this; thank you so much for sharing!
You're welcome bosman... the Christmas villages are neat to see and worth a trip if you are in the area.

Originally Posted by quirrow
Good start so far to the TR, seems like YVR International has several nicer lounge other than Priority Pass or the Air Canada MLL.
Thanks again quirrow - trying to keep up to you this year by putting on some miles.

Originally Posted by gaobest
Great TR - thank you!
Thanks gaobest.

Originally Posted by Madone59
Off to a great start - looking forward to following the rest ^
I appreciate it Madone 59

Originally Posted by stu1985
Nice start to your report! We just missed each other by 2 days flying out from Vancouver to London!
That's too bad stu1985 - next time. I enjoyed your trip report.

Originally Posted by lloydje33
Great TP so far! Looking forward to the rest!
You're welcome lloydje33.

Originally Posted by 1P
Thanks for the TR. That food is substandard biz, certainly not First. And the wines are OK for biz but not appropriate for international First. Really!

Just a little bit of translation help re the lounges, if you'd be so kind: is a lounger the same thing as an armchair in your terminology? I'd think of a lounger as something like a reclining deck chair with a foot rest.
I've always called a lounger a large recliner, or armchair as you've recommended. I'm not saying this is right 1P, just my own interpretation of it (laughing)

Originally Posted by Bretteee
BA First looks like Etihad Business!
You're likely bang on Brettee. With the cuts in both areas, they are probably near the same.

Originally Posted by 757
Looks great so far and looking forward to the rest. BA F looks nice, but the food and seat looks a bit lacking compared to other reports I've seen of international F class products.
You'd pretty much be right with that assessment 757. . . It's much less impressive on the B747 than the A380.

Originally Posted by mike&co
Keep up the good work, excellent as always ^
Thank's mike&co.

Originally Posted by roadwarrier

Good grief!! Ketel One Vodka, Tanqueray Gin and then Highland Queen Scotch??? They really want to chase the Scotch drinkers away

Great report so far, looking forward to much more.
Well roadwarrier, everyone's cost cutting these days. They just hope no one actually notices... or flies frequently enough to care.

Originally Posted by jedaero
Looking forward to the rest of the post.

Curious to see how you booked the Luftansa award and the strategy behind it
Thanks jedaero. Since the availability is so hard to find, I booked and held Swiss Business class to Los Angeles. I then changed to F as space opened up. I just estimated by best odds would be routing through the California West Coast since there are flights from Munich and Frankfurt each. Fortunately, the strategy worked and there were ample seats in December.

Originally Posted by offerendum
Not the best F-performance....
I would tend to agree offerendum...
roadwarrier likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Great start to your report worldtraveller73. Yeah, BA First is pretty cramped on the 744 especially if seated behind row 2. And 14 pax in the pointy end of a 744 is just awful.

I connected to CX in YVR last summer and also liked the new shops and feel. I too found the SkyTeam Lounge equally empty and pleasant. Since I arrived before the CX Lounge opened, I had originally tried the BA Lounge but was denied because they restricted the lounge to BA pax when they flew the A380. After reading your report and seeing the pics, I'm glad I was denied, and happy to go back to the SkyTeam Lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.