Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Christkindlesmarkt villages in Germany via British Airways and Lufthansa First Class

Christkindlesmarkt villages in Germany via British Airways and Lufthansa First Class

Old May 7, 19, 11:26 am

Very entertaining trip report! Thank you! Hope one day I'll visit the Christmas markets in Germany.
Old May 22, 19, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska MVP, Marriott Platinum / Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by nequine View Post
Thanks for a great TR from you.

Where is next on your travels?
Truth be told nequine, I'm actually 3 trip reports behind. Hopefully, I can get caught up!!

Originally Posted by vn33 View Post
Very entertaining trip report! Thank you! Hope one day I'll visit the Christmas markets in Germany.
Thanks very much vn33. I appreciate the readership.

All in all it was a great trip made better with a trip home in one of the world's better first class cabins. Getting in the Christmas markets and a trip through the lesser parts of Germany was a neat bonus.
Old May 24, 19, 12:39 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73 View Post
Truth be told nequine, I'm actually 3 trip reports behind. Hopefully, I can get caught up!!
Looking forward to reading your next adventures once you get them posted.
roadwarrier likes this.
Old May 28, 19, 9:53 am

Programs: EK Gold; UA *G; BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium
Great trip report mate!

Being a German living in London, I go every year in December over to Germany (my Russian/ British wife insists ) solely to visit Christkindlmarkets.

Normally we travel to Berlin and visit also the market in Goslar which is extremely beautiful.

Hope you have enjoyed visiting my home country!

Nota bene: Sorry for your experience with Deutsche Bahn - they are still better than the UK trains though
Old Jun 9, 19, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nequine View Post
Looking forward to reading your next adventures once you get them posted.
Thanks nequine. I made some progress over the weekend with a break in travels.

Originally Posted by Duck1981 View Post
Great trip report mate!

Being a German living in London, I go every year in December over to Germany (my Russian/ British wife insists ) solely to visit Christkindlmarkets.

Normally we travel to Berlin and visit also the market in Goslar which is extremely beautiful.

Nota bene: Sorry for your experience with Deutsche Bahn - they are still better than the UK trains though
Thanks Duck1981; I think there are several Germany cities with under rated Christmas markets. I appreciate your tip on Goslar and will have to put it on the list for the next time we are over there.
Old Jun 15, 19, 6:57 am

Great trip report mate!

Thanks for the tip on Goslar, I had not heard of that.

This thread has inspired me to start planing a family trip. Have you by chance been the Nuremberg market? I have heard that is one of the best but wondered if anyone here had actually gone. It is a bit out of the way
Old Jun 22, 19, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RoxyMountain View Post

This thread has inspired me to start planing a family trip. Have you by chance been the Nuremberg market? I have heard that is one of the best but wondered if anyone here had actually gone. It is a bit out of the way
I haven't actually been to the Nuremberg market RoxyMountain. Although some of the more popular markets like Munich were a little too large to be intimate. Sometimes the smaller markets are a more quaint and authentic experience.
Old Jun 24, 19, 6:40 am

Programs: EK Gold; UA *G; BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RoxyMountain View Post

Hello

Well - I know Nuremberg is definitely the most famous market, but tbh I don't like that market at all.

Personally I think the city is not that beautiful (lots of damage during 2nd WW) so the market has barely any romantic feeling. Then, the market tends to be ridiculously overcrowded by Japanese/ Chinese tourists and has hence a pricing suitable to that clientele.

Better alternatives are Regensburg (100km to the East) or even Munich (especially the market around Odeonsplatz). If you like to travel a bit more, I like the one in Luebeck (but that's in the north of Germany), Salzburg (if going to Austria) or Erfurt especially in the evening). My personal favourites are still Goslar and Gendarmenmarkt Berlin. Also the Strietzelmarkt in Dresden is very nice.

Hamburg city hall is also good but e.g. on the weekend far too many people.

Generally, you will find in every area of Germany such markets - and many of them are nice
Old Jun 24, 19, 7:48 am

Hello

Well - I know Nuremberg is definitely the most famous market, but tbh I don't like that market at all.

Personally I think the city is not that beautiful (lots of damage during 2nd WW) so the market has barely any romantic feeling. Then, the market tends to be ridiculously overcrowded by Japanese/ Chinese tourists and has hence a pricing suitable to that clientele.

Better alternatives are Regensburg (100km to the East) or even Munich (especially the market around Odeonsplatz). If you like to travel a bit more, I like the one in Luebeck (but that's in the north of Germany), Salzburg (if going to Austria) or Erfurt especially in the evening). My personal favourites are still Goslar and Gendarmenmarkt Berlin. Also the Strietzelmarkt in Dresden is very nice.

Hamburg city hall is also good but e.g. on the weekend far too many people.

Generally, you will find in every area of Germany such markets - and many of them are nice
Very good info. Thanks for the guidance .
Duck1981 likes this.