Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

A Tourist In North Korea

A Tourist In North Korea

Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:13 pm

Thank you for taking the time to document your trip so professionally. Wonderful photos!
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Originally Posted by offerendum
But it´s not 99% of the country and you don´t get a performance.

You obviously have not traveled with me or even followed along on a TR - as you missed all the performances .... once missed never regained
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by adampenrith
or even followed along on a TR
Unfortunatelly never had this honor as it seems - could you recommend one?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Originally Posted by DanielW
Come and play with us, Danny..... Forever, and ever, and ever........
jac162 and Romanianflyer like this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Incredible and fascinating report DanielW - thank you!
Old Jan 26, 2019, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Fascinating that the itinerary, and everything on it has not changed in 6 years since I've gone!
Like its the exact same sights. Exact same books they pull out at the library. Even the mass games card-flippers images are the same.

Great pics!
Old Jan 26, 2019, 6:13 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by DanielW
If you look closer, it is a 737 MAX 8. Does Mauritania Airlines fly to Pyongyang or simply a government charter? That's a long way from Nouakchott!
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johnwlynch
Thank you for taking the time to document your trip so professionally. Wonderful photos!
Thank you, johnwlynch. Definitely an experience of a lifetime!
Originally Posted by Paella747
Come and play with us, Danny..... Forever, and ever, and ever........
Yes, just like a Japanese horror movie!
Originally Posted by our_kid
Incredible and fascinating report DanielW - thank you!
Cheers, our_kid.
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Fascinating that the itinerary, and everything on it has not changed in 6 years since I've gone!
Like its the exact same sights. Exact same books they pull out at the library. Even the mass games card-flippers images are the same.
Great pics!
Thank you, rankourabu. Yes, I am guessing a lot has not changed in six years!
Originally Posted by antebellum
If you look closer, it is a 737 MAX 8. Does Mauritania Airlines fly to Pyongyang or simply a government charter? That's a long way from Nouakchott!
It would have been for African govt VIP's visiting for the National day. A few African countries have good relations with North Korea.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 3:30 am

Although I wouldn’t go to the DPRK for political and ethical reasons, your report was really interesting. At least in so far as what tourists are allowed to see.

Thanks for posting.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by camsean
Although I wouldn’t go to the DPRK for political and ethical reasons, your report was really interesting. At least in so far as what tourists are allowed to see.

Thanks for posting.
Thank you, camsean. Yes, it was a truly memorable experience of a lifetime to get a small glimpse of such an isolated and recalcitrant country.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:23 am

A simply epic trip report Daniel.

As for those criticising for moral reasons, further integration and assimilation (of which tourism is a part) is a much better strategy to generate positive change rather than reinforcing isolation, in my view anyway.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:41 am

Great Summary with fantastic pics!

Last edited by kayexalate; Jan 30, 2019 at 11:10 am
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:10 pm

An amazing report!!

Was the western guide an employee of Koryo Tours, or does North Korea now employ Westerners in its tourism bureau? Judging from various past NK trip reports, there used to be just a North Korean guide and a minder.

Surprised to learn there are 15 hotels open to foreigners in Pyongyang - I thought there were just Koryo Hotel and Yanggakdo (and of course the upcoming Trump Ryugyong Tower )

Did you have hot water in your hotel in Pyongyang? Your obsession with hot spring water at RyongGang looks a little suspicious
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
A simply epic trip report Daniel.
As for those criticising for moral reasons, further integration and assimilation (of which tourism is a part) is a much better strategy to generate positive change rather than reinforcing isolation, in my view anyway.
Many thanks, Kgmm77. Yes, better to have some exposure to foreigners than none at all. Ms. Chang's choice of lipstick was surprisingly Chanel! The western guides often bring hard-to-get items into the country too, like English-Korean language learning books.
Originally Posted by kayexalate
Great Summary with fantastic pics!
Thank you, kayexalate.
Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
An amazing report!!
Was the western guide an employee of Koryo Tours, or does North Korea now employ Westerners in its tourism bureau? Judging from various past NK trip reports, there used to be just a North Korean guide and a minder.
Surprised to learn there are 15 hotels open to foreigners in Pyongyang - I thought there were just Koryo Hotel and Yanggakdo (and of course the upcoming Trump Ryugyong Tower )
Did you have hot water in your hotel in Pyongyang? Your obsession with hot spring water at RyongGang looks a little suspicious
Thanks, cockpitvisit. The Western guide is employed by Koryo Tours. If you do a private tour you just get Korean guides. Yes, I was surprised there was more than a few hotels too. They get a fair few number of Chinese tourists too so I guess they spread them around the various hotels. No issues with hot water or power. I was expecting freezing cold showers and frequent black outs but we had no problems whatsoever.
cockpitvisit likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
Thanks Daniel for another amazing trip report. Thank you for sharing it. I've read several other accounts from other visitors to N. Korea, several that mention minders following them to the bathroom or two sided mirrors in hotel bathrooms-- stuff like that. I didn't get the sense that you experienced any of that.

I would love to visit N. Korea someday, and now just await for travel restrictions to loosen for us.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.