Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

A Tourist In North Korea

A Tourist In North Korea

Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Another amazing report. I'm surprised that the border guard allowed you to photograph him!
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Incredible trip report. Thanks for sharing with us.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA
Fascinating thank you. I like your style of writing a trip report — informative and thorough but not overly detailed (ie the pat of butter measured 20 mm by 20 mm by 7 mm).
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Been looking forward to this one and it did not disappoint! NK has always fascinated me, but as a US citizen, getting there right now is quite the pain. Should've gone when it was still legal... Awesome pictures too, shame you couldn't bring the camera along to the Mass Games.

I would've paid you BIG money to bring me back a few of those "See You in NK"/Air Koryo shirts. I just spent more time than I want to admit scouring Aliexpress/eBay/Amazon for one.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:44 pm
Formally known as reinmedia

Wow! What an incredible Trip Report. North Korea is fascinating to me and it's definitely on the bucket list. It looks like they are becoming more relaxed on photos and video taking while in the country. Absolutely fantastic, thank you!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat
What a great trip report. Thank you for taking the time to write it up and share it.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Only you, Daniel... Only you. Thank you for yet another epic and entertaining trip report! ^^
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blueferrari
Extraordinary. I personally enjoy your photos of Military Parade and the Metro Underground.
Pyongyang looks beautiful.
This and your Syrian TR are my favorite of yours.
Thank you, blueferrari. Yes, Pyongyang seems to be the 'crown jewel'. Would be great to visit some of the industrial cities next time too.
Originally Posted by enviroian
Another amazing report. I'm surprised that the border guard allowed you to photograph him!
Thanks, enviroian. I'm sure he gets his photo taken frequently by all the visitors.
Originally Posted by Taoyuan
Incredible trip report. Thanks for sharing with us.
Cheers, Taoyuan. Defintiely won't forget this trip soon!
Originally Posted by arttravel
Fascinating thank you. I like your style of writing a trip report — informative and thorough but not overly detailed (ie the pat of butter measured 20 mm by 20 mm by 7 mm).
Thank you, arttravel. Can't actually remember seeing any butter on the trip, although they probably had some local margarine.
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
Been looking forward to this one and it did not disappoint! NK has always fascinated me, but as a US citizen, getting there right now is quite the pain. Should've gone when it was still legal... Awesome pictures too, shame you couldn't bring the camera along to the Mass Games.
I would've paid you BIG money to bring me back a few of those "See You in NK"/Air Koryo shirts. I just spent more time than I want to admit scouring Aliexpress/eBay/Amazon for one.
Many thanks, ChiefNWA. Yes, hopefully they rescind the state dept rules soon. Apparently Americans made up a large portion of visitors before the ban. The shoplady said it was a new t-shirt design so may take a while to filter through to ebay.
Originally Posted by reinmedia
Wow! What an incredible Trip Report. North Korea is fascinating to me and it's definitely on the bucket list. It looks like they are becoming more relaxed on photos and video taking while in the country. Absolutely fantastic, thank you!
Thanks, reinmedia. Yes, I was surprised about the lack of photo restrictions. Most of the time we were allowed to click away. I guess they realise that most of the photos are harmless and no one cares about the rest.
Originally Posted by flyingbee
What a great trip report. Thank you for taking the time to write it up and share it.
Cheers, flyingbee. It was great to relive the trip again while writing up the TR.
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Only you, Daniel... Only you. Thank you for yet another epic and entertaining trip report! ^^
Many thanks, Seat 2A. Just worried now that I'm running out of these strange and interesting countries to visit!
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by DanielW
Just worried now that I'm running out of these strange and interesting countries to visit!
Hmm... have you been to Bhutan? How about Kyrgyzstan? Brunei?

Happy Travels!
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:19 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
What a terrific read, and full of remarkable and revealing (and beautiful) photos. Thank you SO much!

45 years ago I went on an Intourist tour of Soviet Central Asia - mainly Uzbekistan but a couple of days in Tajikistan. The whole scene - the factory tours, the focus on giant monuments, the carefully curated "museums" and cultural sites... so very similar to your descriptions. Of course there were lots of ancient buildings and complexes from Silk Road days to balance out the Party landmarks, but what struck us was that in the markets and bazaars, in the streets and parks, life was being lived with joy, with laughing children, old men drinking tea... The banners and statues of Lenin were everywhere, but people just kept walking past them. Some of your images are disturbing, but many are hopeful, and we should focus on those instead of the creepy ones. Thanks again.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Astounding.

Despite my misgivings about the ethical and practical implications of travel to DPRK, I have to admit this is an amazing TR. Well done!
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Hmm... have you been to Bhutan? How about Kyrgyzstan? Brunei?
Happy Travels!
Yes, all very interesting countries:
A Journey Through Kyrgyzstan
Return To New Zealand Via South-East Asia
A Trip To Bhutan

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
What a terrific read, and full of remarkable and revealing (and beautiful) photos. Thank you SO much!
45 years ago I went on an Intourist tour of Soviet Central Asia - mainly Uzbekistan but a couple of days in Tajikistan. The whole scene - the factory tours, the focus on giant monuments, the carefully curated "museums" and cultural sites... so very similar to your descriptions. Of course there were lots of ancient buildings and complexes from Silk Road days to balance out the Party landmarks, but what struck us was that in the markets and bazaars, in the streets and parks, life was being lived with joy, with laughing children, old men drinking tea... The banners and statues of Lenin were everywhere, but people just kept walking past them. Some of your images are disturbing, but many are hopeful, and we should focus on those instead of the creepy ones. Thanks again.
Many thanks, Gardyloo, I would have loved to have been able to see the Soviet Union at its peak. So many different people, cultures and languages under one big communist umbrella.
Originally Posted by as219
Astounding.
Despite my misgivings about the ethical and practical implications of travel to DPRK, I have to admit this is an amazing TR. Well done!
Thanks, as219. Safety-wise there is no real issue, unless you do something stupid. Ethics-wise is up for debate I guess.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Gobsmacked

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I disagree with the entire premise of this trip report. While fascinating you were never a "tourist." You were a (knowing or unknowing) propaganda pawn and source of foreign currency for a despotic regime.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
He was a tourist - yes he was limited to what he can see and not see, BUT when i go to the USA there are things i am not allowed to see and do also....
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by adampenrith
BUT when i go to the USA there are things i am not allowed to see and do also....
But it´s not 99% of the country and you don´t get a performance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.