Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

A Tourist In North Korea

A Tourist In North Korea

Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:58 pm

Well done. What a once in a lifetime experience!
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:02 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Wow, what an incredible report and photos. What an amazing experience and certainly a trip you will not soon forget!
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:30 pm

Great report!! really Detailed and interesting.

By the way. Early on in your report you have your boarding pass with name and barcode. I suggest you either blank those out or remove the photo --- barcode readers can a lot of info from those,
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm supremely impressed @Daniel. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience in such vivid detail!
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Daniels TRs always include pictures of his bps or visas etc with his full name showing. Its kind of like how everyone on the UAL Forum knows that the guy who has flown 20million miles (plus) on UAL is Tom.
Also, Ive heard that people can also eat dog in China. Not my thing just like how I dont eat horse in Europe. I do like goat and deer and other non-human animals

I am loving both this TR and the comments. I myself stayed up past 2am partly because of this TR. omg so worth it!!
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gaobest
How much cash do you think people carried with them on your tour? Did the tour guide have suggestions? For the Dutchman buying Seat 1, did he know ahead of time that it would be 800EU or did he just have hundreds of EU on his person in anticipation of this? While on the metro or in crowded places, did you ever fear pickpockets like when your mobile was almost stolen in MEX?
as for the regime talk, Im sure that some Tibetans or Uighurs wouldnt be thrilled with all the TRs in China. Lets not even get started with how some people might feel about TRs in the USA.
Without the aviation tour, would you still want to do another visit in DPRK, assuming that there are different tour options?
We were told the prices of the Mass Games before the trip so knew how much to bring. All the other expenses were minor, e.g. souvenirs, water was $0.30 a bottle, snacks, 5 for Juchhe Tower etc. All the main expenses, e.g. meals, hotels were all prepaid. No chance of pickpokets on the metro, both with the culture and consequences. They probably wouldn't be able to use the phone anyway.
Yes, seems unfair that DPRK is singled out from other 'not-so-nice' regimes. I would love to return some day, perhaps to do a train or the aviation tour.
Originally Posted by rivlinm
Awesome as always. In fact even better than your high standard. Well worth the wait.
It was fascinating to see how many unique places you visited compared to my five night marathon trip in 2017. I didn't get to see the Kim's resting spots, but after your review, I'm not sure I missed anything...
Not to hijack your thread but here are three photos worth sharing.
You mentioned not being allowed to take photos in the super market and war museum, but I took the risk. This one was the photo showing the 'American Pigs' in defeat.
I personally enjoyed the Dog Meat Soup and here is a close up of the meat itself. I got a gamy pulled meat taste as well.
This was my favorite from my five days and taken on my first morning. We had dramatically different views/weather. But the weather cleared up nicely and I got to see the blue sky/bustling Pyongyang later in the week.
Again, great stuff, Keep it up.
Many thanks, rivlinm. Great shot of the 'American Pigs'. Quite a provocative display, I guess playing more to a domestic audience than tourists. The dog meat was gamy, I guess it needs a bit of cooking too to be tender. Cool photo of Juche Tower and good timing of the cyclist^. Yes, the Kim Mausoleum wasn't too rivetting. The sheer scale was quite amazing though, a big windowless, airconditioned building for two dead bodies.
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
Wow, thank you for posting this trip report. I enjoyed the pictures. I found it fascinating.
Thank you, bitterproffit. I had been wanting to head to the DPRK for a while so was great to finally make it.
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Wow - thank you for a comprehensive trip report. It's probably the most comprehensive one on North Korea that I've ever seen.
I had a question about whether you asked or had to disclose whether photos would be used for Flyertalk or other blogs for the internet? I recalled a previous trip report where the poster had to clear it with the guide, who allegedly knew about this site. If It's not appropriate to share here, I'd love to hear by private message. It seems you had pretty much free run about photographs with the guide. The amount of photos that you took is probably more than the average tourist.
My other question was about the focal length of the lens you were allowed to bring in. It seems that has been answered as less than 250 mm?
Thank you again
Thanks, worldtraveller73. Yes, you have to sign a waiver stating you're not a journalist and are travelling in a personal capacity. I don't think they care too much about lens size. I had my 70-200mm f2.8 and customs was fine once she saw it was just a camera lens. Also at the Wonsan Air Festival numerous people had 500mm+ lenses to photograph the aircraft.
Originally Posted by anthonyparkersd
Hey Daniel,
I've always enjoyed your trip reports, but this definitely ranks up there with your best. When you take your photos do you ask the locals if it's alright? Any resistance from them?
Cheers, anthonyparkersd. I almost never asked for photos. I think they can be quite paranoid of foreigners so would likely just say no anyway. No one got upset anyway.
Originally Posted by nydave11
Great report. Don't listen to the haters.
Thank you, nydave11.
Originally Posted by blueline7
Absolutely fascinating! Thank you SO much! What an absolutely incredible experience. Bravo!!
How come no drone videos?! Wahahahahahha
Thanks, blueline7. Yes, I didn't even try and take my drone into the country. I am guessing I would be sentenced to many years of hard labour if I tried to buzz downtown Pyongyang with my Phantom!
Originally Posted by JohnRain
Definitely one of your best trip reports ever Daniel!
This goes above and beyond everything I have ever read/seen about this intriguing country...
Well done! ^
Many thanks, JohnRain. I read up on other people's trip before I went but it still didn't fully prepare me for visiting such a unique and quirky place. Hopefully I can head back when Kempinski finally starts operating the Ryugyong Hotel!
Originally Posted by g289t
I'm hoping that the restriction for Americans is lifted. Visiting North Korea is certainly on my bucket list. Hopefully President Trump's meetings with Kim will help change the situation. From what I understand, North Korea has no problem with Americans visiting.
I at least want to do a JSA visit from South Korea, where you can technically set foot inside North Korea. Were you not able to cross the border on your trip to the DMZ from North Korea?
Yes, hopefully the US travel ban is only temporary. We didn't go into the JSA border meeting rooms unfortunately. I think visits from the South are suspended at the moment too(?)
Originally Posted by diburning
Those tours were run by another firm, Juche Travel (which is a joint DPRK/UK firm). Unfortunately, I think those tours were operated with the express blessing of the DPRK government, and with escalating international tensions, I don't think those tours will resume until the relax (also for security reasons).
Yes, I booked with Juche for the (cancelled) 2017 Wonsan Air Festival. They did run an Aviation tour last October but said it would be the last one they would be organising.
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
Incredible TR. Took me hours to view it. I laugh at the irony of arriving back in China and enjoying the "freedom". Thanks for sharing.
Thanks, Uncle Nonny. Yes, the simple pleasure of walking down the street and ordering an iced coffee was surprisingly liberating! I needed to use a VPN to properly access the internet though.
Originally Posted by phranktzi
Thanks for sharing another wonderful report!
Thank you, phranktzi.
Originally Posted by cedric
Well done. What a once in a lifetime experience!
Cheers, cedric, yes, certainly an experience I'll never forget !
Originally Posted by 757
Wow, what an incredible report and photos. What an amazing experience and certainly a trip you will not soon forget!
Thanks, 757. It was such a weird and surreal trip, it almost feels like a dream now.
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
Great report!! really Detailed and interesting.
By the way. Early on in your report you have your boarding pass with name and barcode. I suggest you either blank those out or remove the photo --- barcode readers can a lot of info from those,
Thank you, SQTraveller. Yes, I probably need to be careful about that. I dont have any real frequent flier points to steal though.
Originally Posted by moondog
I'm supremely impressed @Daniel. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience in such vivid detail!
Many thanks, moondog. Such an interesting and almost mythical country from all the stuff you read and hear. It was great to experience it first hand though.
Originally Posted by gaobest
Daniels TRs always include pictures of his bps or visas etc with his full name showing. Its kind of like how everyone on the UAL Forum knows that the guy who has flown 20million miles (plus) on UAL is Tom.
Also, Ive heard that people can also eat dog in China. Not my thing just like how I dont eat horse in Europe. I do like goat and deer and other non-human animals
I am loving both this TR and the comments. I myself stayed up past 2am partly because of this TR. omg so worth it!!
I think dog is becoming more rare in China, at least in the main cities. I have heard it is served in Vietnam though. And my apologies for keeping you up so late!
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Wow DanielW. wow, wow, wow, wow. What a trip. What photos! What an opportunity.

Thank you for taking us along with you ^^
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
I think this might be your best trip report I've read of yours. The pictures were absolutely amazing. I have been on a JSA tour (when I lived in South Korea years ago). Including the meeting room where you can technically step on the North Korean side.

Im not a fan of Korean food (except for a few items). I don't think I could bring myself to try the dog (I think they call it gaegogi). It used to be served in some South Korean restaurants (or at least it was when I was there).

Again, great report.

Last edited by HawaiiTrvlr; Jan 20, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Daniel I have to say this is one of the most amazing trip reports I have read on FT, Thank you !
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Without Question a high Quality trip-report. Nevertheless I agree with others that tourists seems to be part of a great staging. Also I cant skip the fact that this tours are one of the ways a terrible criminal regime gets foreign currencies. I wouldnt support them with one cent knowingly.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Absolutely EPIC.

Daniel, you out did yourself in"extreme adventures"! Thanks for sharing.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by DanielW
Thank you, SQTraveller. Yes, I probably need to be careful about that. I dont have any real frequent flier points to steal though.
My understanding is that they can get personal id information from it, so just be wary.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:02 pm

Programs: CX Gold, Krisflyer PPS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Amazing trip report with amazing pictures Daniel. I have lived in Beijing for four years and always wanted to make the trip to North Korea, but never had the time and honestly the guts to do it. The closes I got to North Korea was when Kim visited Singapore last year and I was having brunch in the St Regis where he stayed.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Madone59
Wow DanielW. wow, wow, wow, wow. What a trip. What photos! What an opportunity.
Thank you for taking us along with you ^^
Many thanks, Madone59. I was a little worried with all the rhetoric and tensions that the DPRK would become off limits for visitors so glad to make it while I could.
Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
I think this might be your best trip report I've read of yours. The pictures were absolutely amazing. I have been on a JSA tour (when I lived in South Korea years ago). Including the meeting room where you can technically step on the North Korean side.
Im not a fan of Korean food (except for a few items). I don't think I could bring myself to try the dog (I think they call it gaegogi). It used to be served in some South Korean restaurants (or at least it was when I was there).
Again, great report.
Thank you, HawaiiTrvlr. The JSA tour is a great experience, especially looking over to the DPRK soldiers on the other side. I think they have suspended JSA tours from the South for the last three months now though. The dog was probably a once off for me, although I do like kimchi with my barbecued beef and rice.
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Daniel I have to say this is one of the most amazing trip reports I have read on FT, Thank you !
Thanks, FlightNurse. It was great to get firsthand (but albeit very limited) insight into such an isolated country.
Originally Posted by offerendum
Without Question a high Quality trip-report. Nevertheless I agree with others that tourists seems to be part of a great staging. Also I cant skip the fact that this tours are one of the ways a terrible criminal regime gets foreign currencies. I wouldnt support them with one cent knowingly.
Thank you, offerendum. Yes, while on the tour it is hard not to think about the things they don't want you to see.
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Absolutely EPIC.
Daniel, you out did yourself in"extreme adventures"! Thanks for sharing.
Many thanks, allset2travel. Yes, such a fascinating and quirky place to visit!
Originally Posted by sl00001
Amazing trip report with amazing pictures Daniel. I have lived in Beijing for four years and always wanted to make the trip to North Korea, but never had the time and honestly the guts to do it. The closes I got to North Korea was when Kim visited Singapore last year and I was having brunch in the St Regis where he stayed.
Thank you, sl00001. There were quite a few people from Beijing and Shanghai visiting for the Mass Games. They do day tours over the bridge from Dandong too. Kim Jong-un must have been one of the more interesting guests at the St. Regis! I wonder how many reward points he and his entourage got for their stay.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:45 pm

Extraordinary. I personally enjoy your photos of Military Parade and the Metro Underground.
Pyongyang looks beautiful.

This and your Syrian TR are my favorite of yours.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.