Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Somewhere, The Waffle House Is Missing A Waitress (found on AA, EZE/LAX)

Old Jan 11, 19, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas

Instead of a long long report of many flights (UA, LA, LA, LA, LA, AA, AS) over a 2 week period, you’ll just get the (dis)pleasure of reading about one particular segment, the new EZE/LAX nonstop flight, aboard a new-ish, not fully-functional, 789. Many many months ago, I was thrilled that this new service had started, and as soon as the flight went into inventory, I grabbed 2 J seats via my AS miles for the return from the annual new years trip. The night prior to the flight I was pleased to see the aircraft had already left LAX, so all should be well, except that the SFO connection on AS had canceled 2 of the prior 3 days. That didn’t concern me as much as getting to LAX. Waking up the morning of the 10:10 PM flight, I saw it had already posted a delay of 91 minutes (yes, 91 minutes), but I couldn’t find any incoming material delays. I then figured there was some sort of crew issue, and that “extra minute” made a crew member legal. (Indeed, at check in, I asked, and a pilot had to be flown in.)

As much as I figured my AS connection was toast, I wasn’t about to change anything until AA check in. AA check in was fine, and the agent attempted to accommodate us on the AS flight an hour later, to no avail. He could see the flight but the system wouldn’t let him do anything. Fortunately, the AS app allowed me to change my flight on the spot at no charge, and he tagged the bags accordingly. We then had a not-too-long-for-peak-hour visit to the security checkpoint and other exit formalities, and then went to the LATAM Lounge, enjoying some tasty beverages and tidbits, before going to the American Express lounge. Finally, and as to not miss any possible updates, we went to the Admiral’s club. What an overcrowded zoo. 2 seats opened up. We nibbled on some of the gross hot food, but one thing was so bad I had to immediately spit it out into a napkin. I do thank AA for the calorie savings. Fortunately, the wine was passable (not nearly as good as LATAM), but I could evict the remaining bits of whatever that thing was from the warmer out of my mouth with wine.And then it was time to board. The gate area is not designed to board this aircraft, especially with the 1-4 / 5-xxx boarding lanes. By the time we arrived, and prior to any boarding, it was nearly impossible to get near the front of the 1-4 line. We somehow made our way through people saying “I’m priority” (in Zone 4). This system is awful. After a quick gate security check, we were onboard our cruiseship in the sky. I say that because most of the J cabin consisted of people who had just gotten off cruiseships, and I, a child of the 60s, was one of the younger passengers in the front cabin. I was also younger than much of the crew.

The seats are nice, the IFE was working, the PDB didn’t give me heartburn (although that may have been thanks to the Costco Acid Reducer tablet). And then the IFE stopped working, as well as the seats, and then the crew got the manual demo kits out. At this time, I was thinking “oh joy, 12 hours without a reclining seat” as well as “a delay is going to cause even the rebooked LAX connection to be toast.” Various remedial attempts failed, and then finally, not quite out to the runway, the shutoff and restart of engines, got everything going. (As it happens, the APU failed on the ground after arrival, while awaiting our tow, and the entire plane went dark.) We made it airborne without much further delay, the crew got things ready in the galley, and the meal service commenced. As we were seated in the center section, I had a different FA than my traveling companion. Mine actually seemed to have some decorum in premium cabin service. The other aisle’s FA had all the grace and decorum of a Waffle House waitress sometime after the bars’ last call. It wasn’t that she didn’t do her job, and she certainly knew how to overfill a wine glass, but ... wow. As for what they served, after the nuts and beverage, it was a one tray deal for this nearly 12 hour airtime flight (except dessert, served separately). I suppose I should be grateful for this, because if my fillay minyone had been in the oven a minute longer, not even the fork would have pierced the ladrillo. There was some salad like thing with a no doubt nutritious grain, a little cold salmon nibble, the above-referenced gor-may meat, and a choice of uninspired rolls. The wine wasn’t bad. The water was wet. The ice was cold. The pear tart was edible. The movie was good. I then made it a point to try and sleep. I did for a while. I didn’t have any breakfast. Oh, and I didn’t previously mention the “new” amenity kit. I’ve not flown AA longhaul in about a year or so, and this new kit was, well, I’ll call it “sparse.”

Upon arrival at LAX, I checked the AS app to see that our original flight had canceled, so the delay with my prior rebooking worked out perfectly. We were parked at Gate 40-something, so we went through quite the long maze to get to TBIT processing. Bags took awhile, but nothing too unreasonable, and that concludes the American Airlines portion of the trip. And no, I have nothing against Waffle House personnel. I just expected a bit more polish from some of the crew (or any polish at all) for such a lifetime of experience serving premium passengers. After all this American Airlines, Something Special In The Air (or is that Doing What We Do Best ... or is that “We’re really America West Airlines dba US Air dba AA” - I get so confused these days).
Old Jan 12, 19, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, UA 1K, AA 2mm LT PLT
Always enjoy your no-pic trip reports. LOL on the Waffle House FA and "I was also much younger than much of the crew". LOL.
Eastbay1K and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 12, 19, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777 View Post
Always enjoy your no-pic trip reports. LOL on the Waffle House FA and "I was also much younger than much of the crew". LOL.
Not "much younger than much of the crew," simply "younger than much of the crew."
Old Jan 13, 19, 12:02 am

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Great TR - glad you had a nice J flight
Old Jan 13, 19, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gaobest View Post
Great TR - glad you had a nice J flight
Trip of a lifetime!
Old Jan 13, 19, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EXP; A3 Gold; Marriott LPP Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
By any chance this gal in her mid 60s with very long grey hair worn free flowing down past her waistline or wrapped around her head intermittently through the flight? That individual is typically seen on SYD runs from LAX on right hand aisle in Business and represents the worst of humanity.
Old Jan 13, 19, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by asnovici View Post
By any chance this gal in her mid 60s with very long grey hair worn free flowing down past her waistline or wrapped around her head intermittently through the flight? That individual is typically seen on SYD runs from LAX on right hand aisle in Business and represents the worst of humanity.
Nope. And no one represented the worst of humanity. But I've received service at least as good at way off hours when ordering some hash browns scattered smothered covered topped and chunked.
Old Jan 13, 19, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, UA 1K, AA 2mm LT PLT
It wasn't this FA who accidentally posted her birthday on the IFE screen?

piotrger and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by SFO777; Jan 14, 19 at 10:23 am
Old Jan 13, 19, 12:45 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Waffle House FA? Guess who I'm going to get the best service, strongest drinks, and most fun conversation from?

There are worse things in life. Hopefully the FA was snapping gum.

As a child of the early 60s, I am too old to be an ageist.

Great Trip Report. Glad you had fun
Old Jan 13, 19, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bitterproffit View Post

As a child of the early 60s, I am too old to be an ageist.
I'm far from it. I was setting the scene. IM(nsh)O, the more senior FAs provide me with either my best or worst service. There comes the time in one's career where either you want to continue it with the proper service standard, or you should choose another line of work, or retire, if able. Many still take pride in their work, and are really embarrassed of the slop they're serving us, sold as "Chef-inspired dining - Enjoy a multi-course meal, and pair it with our award-winning wines. Menus are inspired by big names in food like Sean Connolly and Maneet Chauhan on select flights."

And others spend 12 hours doing their rote-tation. (Look, I made a new word!)
Old Jan 14, 19, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

He went to Waffle House to sober up. Workers dumped food on him and posted the humiliating video to Instagram.
Old Jan 14, 19, 1:49 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
I was also younger than much of the crew.
I. Literally. Laughed. Out. Loud! Thanks for the TR
Eastbay1K likes this.
Old Jan 14, 19, 2:19 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, British Airways Avios, Marriott Rewards
Great funny report. As always you deliver us entertainment. Thanks for posting.
Eastbay1K likes this.
Old Jan 15, 19, 4:43 am

Thanks so much. I laughed so loud that I spit my coffee out....

Search this Thread