Reload this Page >

Wedding + Honeymoon: South Korea, Thailand, Hong Kong and Dubai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wedding + Honeymoon: South Korea, Thailand, Hong Kong and Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Thank you for this excellent trip report and looking forward to the rest! ^
Old Jul 21, 2019, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by LDNConsultant
After a dinner we decided to relax in the home and our pool. However after couple hours after dinner that same kid whom was playing around with the laser pen started shooting his laser pen into our room several times. It actually hit my eye once as well as one of the hotel workers whom checked upon the status of our room. After several complaints to the hotel management whom went down to the restaurant to talk to the kids and his parents – it still didn’t work. Since it hit my eye, I decided to go down and talk to the parents to discuss the incident. I approached the Dad (whom was French and couldn’t speak English) to tell him about the situation (his daughter translated). I told him “Your son has been playing around shooting laser pen into our room and hit my eye as well as hotel staff – could you please don’t let your kid do it again”. I’m not sure how that got lost in translation but the Dad basically reached to his wallet and tried to give me some THB. Now that I slowly got pissed off and the hotel staff could see that – they tried to state that the kid has been running around and shooting lasers several times, but the parents wouldn’t have it. Basically said F*** you in French and left.
After the incident, the hotel staff and management continuously apologies for the incident for which I told “its not your fault that the parents cant control the kid – he was basically shipping wine and smoking while his 8 year old kid was running around in resort by himself”.
Funny thing is that I saw the same family in the morning for breakfast. While I was walking into the restaurant – he gave me the middle finger (for which the hotel restaurant manager saw as well) and asked if they act like that again, he will have to remove them from the restaurant.
Sorry to hear about this. There are three things here that annoy me no end. First are kids that are being a total nuisance. Kids are kids, and get to run around and be noisy. That's fine. What I can't stand, is when they are clearly being a total nuisance as was the case here. The second thing that follows on from this are parents who are totally oblivious (or know exactly) to what their kids are doing and do nothing to stop their little angels from annoying everyone else. And the third thing that annoys me is when people think paying out money will solve everything. Usually these louts are Brits abroad, but usually in Magaluf not in an upmarket Thai hotel - can't pay for class LOL

The airport is extremely small, however we arrived at 10:30AM to check-in desk and there was a huge line. Koh Samui airport is a focus city for Bangkok Airways, thus a lot of passengers (circa 30 individuals) were in line to check in their luggage. Bangkok Airways provides 20kg of check-in luggage, since we had extra luggage due to honeymoon we had to pay extra. Bangkok Airways provides a simple table which highlights excess luggage rate which is indicative of your origin and destination zone. We paid $14 USD per KG and we were happily on our way to gate.
From the check-in counter, international gates are a short 5 minute walk. Post clearing immigration, we still had 20 minutes prior to boarding thus we relaxed Blue Ribbon Club Lounge (courtesy of Priority Pass). The lounge is nothing special but the cool AC was refreshing.
Dare I say, it would have been amusing if you were on the same flight as the French family

Walk in Closet Area with a Dyson hair dryer (which my wife loved)
Ah, the reach around photo ... I'm familiar with this one LOL
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Actually during the time of our stay BMW actually had a conference which actually shot the price upto circa $400-$500 a room so in hindsight the 30K for hotel points kinda worked out.

In terms of the van, 100% agree that the GRAB would have been much cheaper but in terms of convenience of someone waiting for us at 2 AM and not having to deal with the concept of taking our luggage to the pick-up location and others - I think in terms of the honeymoon, it was money well spent to be honest (also an additional plus of the wife not nagging which FAR outweights the 3500 THB).
Even a airport taxi costs less than 500B at that time of the day...I just download the directions to my
phone and guide the driver to my location if I suspect any cheating !
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
Sorry to hear about this. There are three things here that annoy me no end. First are kids that are being a total nuisance. Kids are kids, and get to run around and be noisy. That's fine. What I can't stand, is when they are clearly being a total nuisance as was the case here. The second thing that follows on from this are parents who are totally oblivious (or know exactly) to what their kids are doing and do nothing to stop their little angels from annoying everyone else. And the third thing that annoys me is when people think paying out money will solve everything. Usually these louts are Brits abroad, but usually in Magaluf not in an upmarket Thai hotel - can't pay for class LOL

Dare I say, it would have been amusing if you were on the same flight as the French family

Ah, the reach around photo ... I'm familiar with this one LOL
The hotel management tried to do their best but most of the ownership has to be with the parent. If you have a 8 year old running around shooting laser pens while you are at the table having a glass of wine and smoking (without a care in the world) then I have to say you are at fault. Yes you are in Thailand and Yes, I'm Asian but don't treat me like a 2nd/3rd class citizen by just throwing money at the problem and all I wanted you to do was to control your kid (was very tempted to take the laser pen and shot it in his eye).

Originally Posted by aSiAnRiCk
Thank you for this excellent trip report and looking forward to the rest! ^
Thanks for the encouraging word! Almost on the last leg - so hopefully can finish strong
roadwarrier likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyalways
Even a airport taxi costs less than 500B at that time of the day...I just download the directions to my
phone and guide the driver to my location if I suspect any cheating !
+1 rookie mistake on my part but at 3AM it was a nice price to pay for someone to wait for me to pick me up and everything :P
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Al Maha, A Luxury Collection Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai (Day 1: Part 1)

As mentioned previously, we had 2 nights and 3 days in Dubai and contemplated on whether spending time in the city or Al Maha. Since this was my wife’s first time in Dubai and/or Middle East – we decided to try Al Maha and I don’t regret it one bit! At the time of booking Al Maha was a Category 7 hotel but now it’s a Category 8 hotel and a standard booking costs 85,000 points. Prior to booking there were some conversations in regards to the points booking excluding benefits such as dining and activities. Luckily when I booked the hotel, points reservation included all meals (including room service – with the exception of alcoholic beverage) as well as two activities per day.

With quick immigration and luggage arriving at carousal earlier than expected (I have no clue why AA/BA or other Western carriers can’t perfect this) but we met our driver at the meeting spot. We booked a hotel car for 300 AED and Monday morning drive was pleasant with no traffic.

It took about an hour from Dubai Airport to the resort. Arriving at Al Maha was a grand sight with almost 20 minute drive on the dirt road into the Dubai Desert Conservation Centre. This is what makes Al Maha so special.

Entrance to the Al Maha Conversation

Upon arriving and entering the main entrance of the resort you are welcomed by the beautiful Bedouin décor and I was welcomed with a fresh smoothie. They tried their best to accommodate my early arrival – however they stated that all the rooms were fully occupied and they will try to give me a room by 11:30AM.

Main entrance with a Marriott "Bonvoy" Welcome

• Room booked: Bedouin Suite, 1 Bedroom Suite, 1 King Private Pool
  • Room received: Bedouin Suite, 1 Bedroom Suite, 1 King Private Pool

The check-in was very efficient with a dedicated Elite Member check-in desk at the right corner of the main lobby. The staff recognized my Ambassador benefit and presented me to choose one of the welcome amenities:
  • 1,000 Points
  • Welcome Gift (Dates)
  • Drink Coupons
The main lobby contained a small gift shop, library, bar area with snacks (e.g. coffee, water and etc) as well as seating area overlooking the desert/resort. The Al Diwaan restaurant was downstairs and the spa/main pool was a short ride away.

Peaceful tranquility - at night, the resort lights up the small patch of forest in the middle of conversation

The only restaurant in the resort

Since my room wasn’t ready, my wife and I headed to the main pool to take a quick shower and relax by the pool.

The pool area

A refreshing dip after a long 9 hour flight from HKG

During my golf cart ride to the spa and the pool, I noticed many small gazelles roaming around the property. The drive stated that they are “harmless” but please close your patio/pool door at night since they have a tendency to search for food.

After a much needed shower, refreshment and a quick dip in the pool – it was finally time to check in to my room. All of the 42 rooms in the Al Maha were suites and I got the most basic suite (Bedouin Suite) – which was still a fantastic room.

From the entrance, there is a small hallway that also serve as a desk/storage area for mini-bar snacks, free wine made from dates, table chair, water as well as an espresso machine (well stocked I might add).

Bottled Water plus a abundant supply of Nespresso Capsules

Once you immediately turn right from the small hallway lies the bathroom – its extremely well stocked with Bvlgari bath amenities. The shower pressure was firm and the drain worked perfectly – even in desert weather and conditions

The bed was comfortable King Size bed and was extremely plush – which made sleeping a whole lot easier. Additionally three large closets and a small TV inside one (which we didn’t actually use due to the activity).

Lastly, there as an easel with a proper paper, pastel, and drawing pencil for anyone interested (my wife left a drawing for them before checking out).

My wife's attempt to draw me...

From the bedroom you have a perfect view of the conservation. The patio has a plenty of seating (including a table with 4 chairs as well as 2 lounge chairs) as well as a pool that can be heated.

offerendum and Graek like this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I really like Al Maha. From the gift shop I still use a clay pot which is intended for milk to store my salt
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Al Maha, A Luxury Collection Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai (Day 1: Part 2)

After being dropped off by the golf cart, the hotel staff explained every aspect of the room as well as explained the basic of the resort. The resort includes full board – meaning the meals are included in the price. For each meal, you have a choice of dining in the privacy of your suite or dining at the hotel’s restaurant. There was tons of flexibility in terms of when you could dine in your villa, though if you wanted to eat in the restaurant, the hours were as follows:
  • Breakfast: 7:00AM-10:30AM
  • Lunch: 12:30PM-2:30PM
  • Dinner: 7:30PM to 10:00PM
Since both of us were hungry, we had lunch via room service. While numerous other reviews and bloggers have identified that “Al Maha’s food and beverage service was their weakness” – however I have to disagree. Room service was extremely prompt and usually was delivered 30 – 40 minutes of ordering. My wife and I had lunch outside on the patio and the server promptly set-up the table.

What a spread: Lamb kebab, pasta, salad, fries and medium rib-eye steak

What a view!

Quality of the food was excellent and hit the spot! The highlight of dining was the visit from our resident gazelle who always hang around the suite and always looking to have a some of our food.

The rates also include two desert activities per guest per day. The choices for activities include the following:
  • Falconry — You will be guided to the display site to witness the traditional Arabic art of falconry.
  • Nature walk — Your guide will interpret the amazing diversity of life in the desert and will provide an informative and educational experience on all the smaller desert wonders.
  • Ghaf tree walk — A ten minute drive into the conservation area to a grove of Ghaf trees. Wander around our desert “forest” while your guide tells you more about these fascinating life-giving trees.
  • Horse riding — A chance to see the desert from the back of an Arabian horse at sunrise. This is for experienced riders only and an 85kg weight limit applies.
  • Desert drive — A more extreme 4×4 drive in the dunes with beautiful desert scenery.
  • Wild life drive — The ideal opportunity to see the famous Arabian Oryx (Al Maha) and other indigenous fauna and flora.
  • Camel trek — A 25 minute trek from the resort into the dunes, to watch the sunset and toast it with a drink.
  • Sundowners — An alternative to the camels – a short trip in a vehicle out into the dunes to toast the setting sun.
  • Archery — Suitable time to be negotiated with your guide.

Al Maha Camel Trek:
Booking the activity was very simple. A quick call to hotel and highlighting which activity you want to partake – you will get a confirmation call.The camel trek started at 5:30 PM so that we could get to our final destination in time for the sunset. When we arrived (you will go through the spa & main pool area), the camels are all lined up (two people per camel).

Camel Trek

Camel Trek

The camel ride took about 30 – 35 minutes at which point we made it to our final location. The location is also aligns with the ‘Sundowner’ activity participants. After a quick bottle of beer and roughly 20-25 minutes of taking photos and enjoying the view – it was time to return to the resort.

Overall, I enjoyed the trek and would highly recommend it to anyone. The pace of the trek was just perfect and it wasn’t super intimate like other private tours – but it was highly enjoyable.

Al Maha – Al Diwaan:

Al Diwaan is the only restaurant on the hotel and its located one level below the lobby. The view from the restaurant during dinner was amazing – there is just something peaceful about the setting and its just you and a barren desert. Dinner consisted of a 3 course set and the menu is highlighted below:

Al Diwaan - Starter

Al Diwaan - Main Course

Al Diwaan - Dessert

The meal was perfectly passed and everything was brilliant!

Pan Fried Octopus

Wagyu Beef Carpaccio

Bedouin Platter

Argentinian Beef Fillet

I have no clue what this is.......... but it was refreshing!

We were extremely satisfied with dinner and can’t say enough good things about the food and service. For a resort with meals included – my skepticism was broken by Al Maha. After dinner, we went to our room to enjoy the night and we were surprised by a special gift from hotel management!
roadwarrier likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
I really like Al Maha. From the gift shop I still use a clay pot which is intended for milk to store my salt
This was my first time in Al Maha and its probably the one of the best hotel/resort I've ever stayed. The gift shop was excellent and my wife managed to grab a some souvenir.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Al Maha, A Luxury Collection Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai (Day 2)

It was another early morning, but unlike other areas I visited during the honeymoon – 6AM sunrise was peaceful and majestic in Al Maha.

Each room has a binocular which you can use to view any animals or landscape (or lack of)

After a quick bath, my wife and I decided to order breakfast. We were presented with enormous amount of food and the hotel staff gracefully set-up our breakfast outside.

As always, we were presented with our lovely guest – gazelle, whom refuse to eat the watermelon!

Since there is no uber and/or taxi service, we booked a hotel a hotel car at 12:00PM to drop us off at another hotel we were staying in Dubai (Grosvenor House, A Luxury Collection Hotel). Before leaving the hotel, my wife decided to leave a drawing in room.

Final Goodbye – Thank you Al Maha!!
fleet7, sl00001 and roadwarrier like this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:40 pm

I wonder if the weight limit for the horse riding is because of the amount of food that is on offer!! That lunch spread looked substantial!!!!!
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SQTraveller
I wonder if the weight limit for the horse riding is because of the amount of food that is on offer!! That lunch spread looked substantial!!!!!
On paper its 85kg but to be honest and for me I would have been barely under the limit since after the honeymoon I managed to gain 6kg. It could have been much more, if I didn't do my daily morning gym session :P
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Still loving the report! Is this one of the resorts that tried to remove the “all inclusive portion” from reward stays?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dat4life
Still loving the report! Is this one of the resorts that tried to remove the “all inclusive portion” from reward stays?
Its great that you are enjoying the report! Al Maha had a brief moment in their history where they removed "all inclusive" for point stays - but as of my time during the booking/now all reward stays are all inclusive! You should book it before Marriott enforces peak/non peak pricing so you wont get "bonvoyed".
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Grosvenor House, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Dubai

The drive from Al Maha to Grosvenor House near the Dubai Marina was about a good 80-90 minutes. Since there is no uber, lyft and or taxi service that is able to get into the resort, I book a hotel car for 250 AED for a large Chevrolet SUV.

Upon arriving and entering the main entrance of the hotel, I was welcomed by a Floor Manager and escorted me to the Platinum/Titanium line. During the check-in process, I was welcomed with a fresh drink and cool towels (I love the service in Dubai and UAE in general!).

I was informed that I was upgraded:
  • Room booked: Deluxe Room Guest Room, 1 King
  • Room received: 2 Bedroom Residence Bedroom 1: 1 King and Bedroom 2: 2 Twin/Single Bed
The check-in was very efficient with a dedicated Elite Member check-in desk at the right corner of the main lobby. The staff recognized my Ambassador benefit and presented me to choose one of the welcome amenities:
  • 1,000 Points
  • Breakfast
  • Welcome Gift (Dates)
After checking in, the Floor Manager and guided us to our room (also whom was Korean). We entered the room and it was bigger than expected. The main living room and the main bedroom overlooks the Dubai Marina and Palm Jumeriah (fair enough most of it was construction but the views was still great).

Main Entrance Area

Kitchen Area

Living and Dining Room

The hallway dividing the two bedrooms

The Main King Size Bedroom

The main bathroom with slower and toilet at the left hand side of the bathroom

The second bathroom

The 2nd bedroom

The most useful thing about this hotel (in my opinion) was that since these rooms are catered to long-stay individuals – the ability to have a kitchen (that we didn’t use) but having a washing machine was extremely useful. Travelling for more than several weeks can cause you to either carry tremendous amounts of clothes/underwear or be extremely diligent/efficient in hand washing. The room has a 24-hour butler service and they were extremely helpful in getting laundry detergent (paid circa 15 AED) to be delivered.

After de-packing and starting laundry, the wife and I took an uber to Madinat Jumeriah. Madinant Jumeriah is a luxurious resort and is one of the largest resort in Dubai and comprises of three boutique hotels. Additionally there is an artificial souk attached and the outdoor area is beautiful. It boasts a great views of the Burg Al Arab as well as the area is beautifully built.

Should have stayed here to be honest

After a tour around the souk and the resort – we took a quick uber to Dubai Mall for our dinner at the Asado Restaurant. The Asado restaurant is situated near Dubai Mall as well as has a decent view of Dubai Fountains and Burj Khalifa. We booked the restaurant quite last minute thus weren’t able to get the restaurants such as Serafina/Baker & Spice which are just situated front of the Burj Khalifa.

As usual with any dinners and meals in Dubai – the food was quite expensive (since everything has to be imported). Since this was our last meal in Dubai before our flight back to New York, we decided to spurge and have:
  • Chorizo Criollo Con Morrones Asado
  • Beef and Chicken Empanadas
  • Tabla De Frituras Del Mare
  • Beef Rib Eye Steak
  • Sautéed Greens
  • Chunky Fries
The food was probably above average at best with:
  • Chorizo being extremely dry and lacking any sort of flavor
  • Empanadas seemed to be dry and just reheated
  • Steak was fantastic. We asked for medium rare and the steak was perfectly cooked and well seasoned

With a direct (quieter) view of the Burf Khalifa – we enjoyed the view and the watershow.

Look at my Burj Khalifa (photo)

After we came back the laundry was ready and apparently folded and we were welcomed with flowers (sadly that we couldn’t bring) as well as glass of wine – to thank us for our stay during the honeymoon. Since we were planning to arrive at Abu Dhbai Airport early to check-in and use the First Class Lounge, we packed our bags and went to bed.

Overall: My stay in the Grosvenor House was extremely short and wasn’t able to fully experience the hotel. However at first glance, the hotel was extremely clean and the services (down to the small details of folding clothes in my dryer) just highlighted the attention to detail and services are ingrained in the individuals working at the hotel.
offerendum and roadwarrier like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.