BA to The Western Cape - 3 Towns in 2 Weeks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to The Western Cape - 3 Towns in 2 Weeks

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
SA is definitely on my list of countries to visit as it looks such a beautiful place to visit.
T8191 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:13 am

Programs: BA Gold AVIS Presidents Club
T8191 informative and entertaining read as usual. Keep up the good work!
Thanks for posting.
OF
T8191 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 3:29 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels

Having been to Hermanus as a youngster and then after, say, 25 years, I enjoyed this spot.
But next time, try going through the Hemel and Aarde valley - some lessor known wineries and great scenery close to Hermanus.

Great that you enjoyed yet another trip to my Country, and yes, true what you mentioned about the Zimbabwean and Malawian servers.
T8191 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by roadwarrier
Having been to Hermanus as a youngster and then after, say, 25 years, I enjoyed this spot.
But next time, try going through the Hemel and Aarde valley - some lessor known wineries and great scenery close to Hermanus.

Great that you enjoyed yet another trip to my Country, and yes, true what you mentioned about the Zimbabwean and Malawian servers.
Small World, eh?
Hemel and Aarde noted ... I must ask Adriaan to divert next time [if he has the time, of course].
Glad to get further validation on the servers. ^
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

OMG, we’ve only been home a week and we’re already planning a similar trip in Oct 19 and Feb 20 ... and paying money to fly for one of them!! This place is seriously addictive!

In the current BA Sale for Club World/Business, and taking these hotel costs going forward, we can do this for about Ł7.5k for 2 weeks (F&B exempt, of course). We’ve already paid Ł6.5k for one week’s AI in St Lucia for next June!!!
Cris L likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Thanks for the trip report! Looks like it was a lovely trip with some great food and wine.. I really have to make it down south there myself one day, it all looks very appealing!
T8191 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
Thanks for the trip report! Looks like it was a lovely trip with some great food and wine.. I really have to make it down south there myself one day, it all looks very appealing!
My pleasure ... glad you enjoyed it. The killer is, of course, the cost of getting there. After that I file it under reasonable/cheap!!

It is, without any reservations, our favourite destination on so many levels. But of course there are other places we haven’t been yet!

Last edited by T8191; Dec 30, 2018 at 12:58 pm
Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
I too was in the WC...

I too visited the Western Cape this year, and spent my time 2 nights in Hermanus, 3 nights in CT (well that's where I thought I was staying) and 1 night in Franschoek.

In Hermanus I stayed at the Whale Rock Luxury Lodge. www.whalerock.co.za
I stayed here last year, and will stay here again. Its not in the centre of town, and is actually very close to the little harbour. Driving distance for me, but a 20-30 minute walk for others. I loved the welcome I got last year, and again this year was made to feel completely welcome. While the rooms were not quite as luxurious as Uncle T's, I was more than happy with everything.

​​​​​​I can't give prices, because mine was booked as part of BA holiday, but I would guess it was around Ł75 per night. A particular touch I really like is that all their bathroom amenities are made from/with named grapes Eg Merlot.

In CT I had booked somewhere in Camps Bay but as I was not willing to accept their conditions ended up staying elsewhere. I usually book via booking.com as I did this year. My original accommodation wrote to me in February advisingthat they needed payment in full by next week Thursday for my refundable changeable booking in December. If I didn't pay they would cancel my booking, and as I declined to pay, they duly cancelled the booking. So I ended up booking at the Blaauwberg Guest House., which was essentially cheap self catering accommodation. The pics looked brilliant for the cost, with the pool looking particularly inviting. What the accommodation was, was a young family having a room at the back of their house which they were renting out. The room itself was distinctly nothing like the pictures, although the bathroom was. In fact the bathroom may have been larger than the bedroom. The swimming pool was separately enclosed and not accessible. It was also nowhere near as close to the beach as I thought. As I'm not very familiar with Greater Cape Town, I also had not realised this was a 45 minute drive from town centre on a very good day... Nothing wrong with the accommodation but not what I wanted.

My final night I stayed in Franschoek at Le Manse, self catering accommodation right in the hear of the town. It really is in the centre of the town, being a small apartment attached to The Church Pastor's Home right next The Church in The Town Centre. I stayed here last year, and will stay here again happily next year. Not quite luxurious, but spacious, and very comfortable as well as impeccably spotlessly clean. Despite being self catering, it was fully prepared with tea, coffee, milk, as well as some small snacks should I need. The cost was R900 for the night. Approx Ł50. I cannot recommend this location and accommodation sufficiently.

My trip was a holiday booking ex EU from AMS to JHB, with separately booked internal flights. JHB-DUR-CPT-JHB. 4 flight reservations, of which 1 was the holiday with accommodation and car hire. Total cost including ALL accom (11 nights) , and 3 car hires covering 13 days and flights was approx Ł1100. In Y, unfortunately.

FYI. I am South African, from Durban, but have lived in the UK for 30 years now. It has been my intention to return home to SA for my retirement, and I have been holidaying in SA as a way of seeing my country, and familiarising myself with it as it is now...

Last edited by Cris L; Dec 30, 2018 at 1:55 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:51 pm

I too was in the WC...

Duplicate

Last edited by Cris L; Dec 30, 2018 at 1:53 pm Reason: Duplicate
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:02 pm

Wine Farms

While in Hermanus, I visited the Benquela Cove Estate, where I tasted 5 wines.as part of a wine and cheese pairing experience.

Cost was R110 or around Ł6.

On the way to Franschoek I had booked a wine blending experience at the Vergenoegd estate, which was quite pricy at R300 or approx Ł17, which was as stated a blend your own wine experience. I was the only person doing the experience so got incredible attention, and included in that was a bottle of your wine blend with a special label stating blended by...

Funnily enough ALL the wine farms I visited this year charged for the tastings, whereas those I visited last year didn't.
T8191 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
OMG, we’ve only been home a week and we’re already planning a similar trip in Oct 19 and Feb 20 ...
Be warned that February is the end of high season, so that prices and demand may be much higher!
T8191 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Thanks Uncle T. Always love your reports - looking forward to following you on your future trips in 2019.
Got to say, BA CW food does look poor.
T8191 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Oh the life of the OAPs! Almost makes one wish to retire (I’m not before you ask!)....
T8191 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hi Cris L, and thank for adding some alternatives! ^

Well-funded retirement is good, Physci, but not everyone can achieve that. Anyway, you're [almost] too young.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:10 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
I've stayed at both the Franschhoek Country Inn and the Eendracht and love them both. Your TR really brought back some terrific memories. Thanks!
T8191 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.