Czeching In and Jetting Out - LH F/J, FR Y, and BA F

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Czeching In and Jetting Out - LH F/J, FR Y, and BA F

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
The next morning, we opted to get ripped off rather than taking a more sensible form of transportation, so we hopped in a cab to Heathrow. Part of me didn't want to deal with lugging bags, baby, and stroller up and down platforms as I've done so many times in the past year, so in some ways it was a relief. Not to say the cost was worth the service, but it was nice being able to get in, and hop out exactly where we needed to be

Arriving at LHR T5

Walking over to the dedicated First check-in area

Check-in counters

It was rather enjoyable having a dedicated security screening area for F passengers. It made the experience much less rushed. A huffy gentlemen got worked up though, claiming he would miss his flight due to the slow pace of screening. I wonder if he ran into unfortunate circumstances or if he had a propensity for cutting things close. Anyhow, we were through and arrived at the entrance of the Concorde Room in no time

We opted to hang out in the terrace where there was more open room for our son to walk around, as well as higher ambient noise in case he were to be a distraction to other guests

A lovely view

I didn't get a picture of the breakfast menu, but the wife ordered a sandwich with sausage, egg, and hash browns while I had my massage

The bar menu

We were also able to order from the dining room menu, which has a few additional choices

Cheese plate to start

British beef was decent

Mac n cheese was different, but not bad

Sponge pudding for dessert

Wild berry charlotte for the wife

From there, it was about time to head off for our gate, so we bid goodbye to the very friendly wait staff and went on our merry way

A little bit of plane spotting

We were invited onboard by a very friendly, enthusiastic, and honestly very good looking crew of young men and women. I know that the running joke is that BA F is the best business class in the world, but our experience was very pleasant

The seat

IFE controls were slightly behind

A knob controlled seat position

Menu

Champagne, amenity kit, and PJs prior to takeoff

Once in the air, we opted to dine together. Starting with the tasty pre-appetizer

Followed by a salad

And wild mushrooms on sourdough was very good as well

Grilled turbot wasn't anything special

The beef wasn't much better

And finally dessert...the ice cream wasn't anything special but the shortbread terrine blew my mind

Some chocolates to end it all

Since the cabin only had 4 seats occupied out of 12, we had lots of freedom to move around. The biggest upside was not having as much stress since we didn't have to worry about as many people potentially being disturbed. We set up on the port side of the plane since the other passengers were on the opposing side to give some more distance and privacy. The FAs were proactive and asked if we wanted the bed made as it was time for baby ChongL's nap

Fast asleep and buckled in while I watched Ocean's 8 and the wife slept. Future occupant of seat 1A? Time will tell

About 3 hours prior to landing, the wife motioned that she wanted to do the afternoon tea...why of course she would. Her reaction made me wonder if afternoon tea in the sky was even more satisfying than a shower on EY or EK F

Getting set up in 2A

Some small sandwiches and English breakfast for me, with some scones following a bit later

Milk for the son

Finishing with some cakes

Approaching Houston

Strong headwinds, but we didn't mind too much

All in all, BA F was a pretty terrific experience. We had an empty cabin, a very good crew, and decent food. The hard product is a bit dated and could use some work, but it was a very comfortable flight with such a light load in F. As the flight ended, the Mrs. and I discussed how it ranked among the other experiences we've had, and we both felt like there was something we couldn't quite point to that made it feel not as special. Were we pre-conditioned to think so due to the running best business class joke? I'm not entirely sure, but I've yet to figure out what was lacking.

With that said, we landed, collected our luggage, and spent the night in Houston to give us a chance to rest. It seems to make traveling for the little one a bit easier at the tail end of trips since he has a little more time to rest before another flight. Unfortunately, as we were rushing to get cleaned up and into bed, I decided to head to the restaurant at the airport Marriott for some food. Can't go wrong with a burger right? WRONG...I woke up in the middle of the night and puked twice. Luckily, that was the brunt of it and I didn't have any further issues other than a loss of appetite for the next day

That's it, that's all!
tvnwz and roadwarrier like this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by chongl
We opted to hang out in the terrace where there was more open room for our son to walk around, as well as higher ambient noise in case he were to be a distraction to other guests
Interesting you should say that. I don't think some people would think about it like that.

IFE controls were slightly behind

Not just behind the seat, a bit behind the times. It found it quite unresponsive, but that might be the age of the 747 I was on.

What did you think of the screen? I remember mine not being high resolution which is almost inexcusable in First these days.

I thought these chocolates were delicious
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
Interesting you should say that. I don't think some people would think about it like that.

Not just behind the seat, a bit behind the times. It found it quite unresponsive, but that might be the age of the 747 I was on.

What did you think of the screen? I remember mine not being high resolution which is almost inexcusable in First these days.

I thought these chocolates were delicious
The IFE was pretty bad, but I feel the screen isn't any worse than CX F which I flew last spring.

The chocolates were delicious indeed. The FA left them at our seat and told us to have as many as we wanted. I stopped myself after 2 though
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:15 pm

The chocolates were delicious indeed. The FA left them at our seat and told us to have as many as we wanted. I stopped myself after 2 though
Well I also stopped at 2 ... when the FA was looking ... every time i came back from the toilet I might have accidentally picked up one ... and I might have needed to go to the toilet a bit too often
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:29 pm

chongl:
Thanks for the great tr. Really enjoyed the pictures of Prague, especially the memorial to the patriots. We were there in 2008, in the spring, and enjoyed it very much.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:36 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
What a great TR chongl! Thank you for sharing.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jmj9905
chongl:
Thanks for the great tr. Really enjoyed the pictures of Prague, especially the memorial to the patriots. We were there in 2008, in the spring, and enjoyed it very much.
jmj9905, we enjoyed the city very much as well. There were still a few things we wanted to see that were closed due to the holiday when we were there. Maybe we'll return someday when the kid is older to relive some of the memories

Originally Posted by Andriyko
What a great TR chongl! Thank you for sharing.
Thank you Andriyko
Old Jul 31, 2021, 11:30 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Just seeing this now thanks to the links from your excellent ongoing Seychelles TR. Wonderful TR, stunning photos, and looks like a great time in Europe for Christmas! And the food, mostly, looks excellent. Thank you very much for sharing these TRs, they are very good.

PS That's disgusting you got food poisoning from a Marriott burger. Quite unacceptable IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.