Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

FROM ALASKA TO AUSTRALIA : In Hot Pursuit of my 198th, 199th and 200th Airlines Flown

FROM ALASKA TO AUSTRALIA : In Hot Pursuit of my 198th, 199th and 200th Airlines Flown

Old Dec 22, 2018, 8:13 am

Great trip report,caused me a late night to finish reading^ BA have 6 F seats on their B787-9.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Hurrah another trip report by Seat 2A ^, perfect for reading while in an airport lounge in transit for another flight with glass in hand (alas no 1963 Colheita).
Yeah, that 1963 Colheita is likely a difficult pour to find on the ground. I hope whatever libation you accompanied your read with enhanced whatever enjoyment you derived from this report . ^

Originally Posted by rapidex
Great trip report,caused me a late night to finish reading BA have 6 F seats on their B787-9.
Thanks, rapidex. Looks like this will be the last of my trip reports for awhile. Hopefully next year I can work in a trip down to Mauritius/Seychelles/Madagascar using a First Class suite aboard BA's 787-9 at least part of the way.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 12:59 pm

Attention Seat 2A! In the future, please announce when you'll be posting a report prior to posting it. That way I can budget a proper amount of time, in a comfortable setting, to peruse the entire report. Posting without prior notice causes me to read your reports rather than completing other items on the 'to do' list!

Great report as always! The amount of detail is impressive, and as I have mentioned before, I have used your past reports as references when planning a trip.

Best wishes for the New Year!
lowmiles likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Just what I wished from Santa Claus, another trip report by the connoisseur of enjoyable air travel, Seat2A! And I got it! Just to maximize the enjoyment over the Christmas / New Year holidays, I am reading this slowly, one post per day. So far (with 3 posts read), I can only say: superb as always! I especially liked the fact that you provided some background music as well, maybe a first on FT complete with youtube link. I can only assume that is music you yourself appreciate and think with good grounds that we will as well (I did!). I've run out of port, but luckily I found a bottle of the excellent Greek Mavrodaphne of Patras "601" sweet wine in my reserve and together we are managing this journey (at home) just fine!
Old Dec 25, 2018, 3:55 pm

I want to re-iterate that your TR's are among the best on ft. Who needs pictures when your words paint a much clearer picture of the entire Tr experience. I am slow to respond to this as I was in SE Asia for 5 weeks in Sept/Oct. Fortunate enough to fly cx f ord/hg rt. Also got to fly cx 359 on bus.hkg/jakarta (senior moment can't recall 3 letter code) and I found the lie flat excellent.
I am almost finished your most recent tr.

Keep up the good work!
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:34 am

I always love your TRs, Seat2A! I honestly like that they are loaded with dull photos, and I love the tidbits about flying in the past. Thanks so much for writing.

Isn’t that just a poached egg in your JAL salad?

Old Dec 26, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Thank you for posting another enjoyable trip report. I am curious as to how you’ve never flown a Greek carrier?

Happy New Year!

Last edited by janehoya; Dec 28, 2018 at 1:59 pm
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
Don't worry, Seat 2A, your reporting style will never go out of style - like a fine port, it just mellows with time.

And talking of fine port - is the KWV Classic Cape Tawny (retail - about $15) really as good as the 1963 Colheita (c $400, if you can find it!) ? I need to pick up a few bottles next time I'm down in SA - aged tawny is one of my faves..

Thanks for the report!
I am wondering the same thing. I’m on Silja Symphony to Stockholm this evening and the tax free has the KWV for €9,90. Since I need to replenish my Port supply, I am going to try that instead of my standard Dow’s Trademark Reserve.

Btw. the most pricey Port here is the Offley Baron de Forrester Colheita 1997 if someone is able to comment on that one.

Last edited by tsastor; Dec 28, 2018 at 11:53 am
Old Dec 29, 2018, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by lamphs
Attention Seat 2A! In the future, please announce when you'll be posting a report prior to posting it. That way I can budget a proper amount of time, in a comfortable setting, to peruse the entire report. Posting without prior notice causes me to read your reports rather than completing other items on the 'to do' list! Great report as always! The amount of detail is impressive, and as I have mentioned before, I have used your past reports as references when planning a trip. Best wishes for the New Year!
Thanks, lamphs! ^ For sure I write some pretty lengthy reports - out of FT's 700000 members of which perhaps 50000 check out the TR forum of which maybe 40 find one of my typical 25000 word reports worthy of comment, I can't help but wonder in this day and age of instant gratification how many viewers drop off after just a couple of posts. Not that it matters - I writes them the way I writes them and that ain't gonna change, so I'm thankful for the dedication and perseverance of readers like yourself. You guys make it all worth it! ^

Originally Posted by tsastor
Just what I wished from Santa Claus, another trip report by the connoisseur of enjoyable air travel, Seat2A! And I got it! Just to maximize the enjoyment over the Christmas / New Year holidays, I am reading this slowly, one post per day. So far (with 3 posts read), I can only say: superb as always! I especially liked the fact that you provided some background music as well, maybe a first on FT complete with youtube link. I can only assume that is music you yourself appreciate and think with good grounds that we will as well (I did!). I've run out of port, but luckily I found a bottle of the excellent Greek Mavrodaphne of Patras "601" sweet wine in my reserve and together we are managing this journey (at home) just fine!
Thanks, tsastor! ^ Reading responses like yours is just as enjoyable to me as reading my reports is for you. That said, it's 10:30am AST and I'm drinking coffee. Good coffee though, my standard blend of Sulawesi and Colombian dark roast accompanied by a couple of Noni's chocolate dipped biscottis. As to the musical inserts, my hope is that they enhance whatever I happen to be writing about at the time but given my eclectic tastes, it's a crap shoot as to whether any of you will actually like the music, so I use them more as a spice than a main course . What a bonus if you do like them ^ BTW, I saw Junior Brown play live at the Strawberry Music Festival back in 1992. He is a character and I get the sense that many of his songs are based upon his personal life experiences.

Originally Posted by jmj9905
I want to re-iterate that your TR's are among the best on FT. Who needs pictures when your words paint a much clearer picture of the entire TR experience. I am slow to respond to this as I was in SE Asia for 5 weeks in Sept/Oct. Fortunate enough to fly cx f ord/hkg rt. Also got to fly cx 359 on bus.hkg/jakarta (senior moment can't recall 3 letter code) and I found the lie flat excellent. I am almost finished your most recent TR. Keep up the good work!
jmj9905, you are my kind of reader ^ As one who appreciates the descriptive power of words over photos more than most, I'm thankful to all of you who are willing to put up with my lengthy reports. Reading through 25000 words of text (my longest was over 90000 words) requires a significant investment of time, often and understandably more than most casual FT viewers care to commit. Back in the early days of FlyerTalk - before we were able to actually insert pictures in these reports - contributors posted some of the finest trip reports I have ever read here. Thankfully I printed out many of those reports back in 2002 and they are most enjoyable to revisit every now and then.

Uh oh - visitors have arrived. I'll post more responses later today. Thanks, everyone! ^
Old Dec 29, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

Uh oh - visitors have arrived. I'll post more responses later today. Thanks, everyone! ^
Who visits your part of Alaska this time of the year? With its 4- 5 hours of daylight and freezing cold temps.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Alright then, where was I? Ah yes...

Originally Posted by camsean
I always love your TRs, Seat2A! I honestly like that they are loaded with dull photos, and I love the tidbits about flying in the past. Thanks so much for writing. Isn’t that just a poached egg in your JAL salad?
Thanks, camsean! I work hard to employ the dullest possible photos, so it's good to know my efforts are appreciated. As to that mass of undefinable white protoplasm nestled amidst the salad leaves, it was indeed an egg but the weirdest egg I've ever tasted in terms of texture and flavor.

Originally Posted by janehoya
Thank you for posting another enjoyable trip report. I am curious as to how you’ve never flown a Greek carrier?
Thank you, J! It's good to hear from you again. ^ As to my lack of experience with Greek carriers, the same can be said for most all of the southern European airlines. My only experience with any came aboard a Vueling A320, a Portugalia Embraer 145 and a TAP A319 back in 2013. It'd be great to visit Greece someday, though unfortunate that it won't be able to be done aboard the Onassis owned version of Olympic.

Originally Posted by tsastor
I’m on Silja Symphony to Stockholm this evening and the tax free has the KWV for €9,90. Since I need to replenish my Port supply, I am going to try that instead of my standard Dow’s Trademark Reserve.
Ooooo - I envy you your sailing. I remember going down to the docks in Helsinki and looking longingly at those big ships - many times larger and more impressive than our smaller Alaska Marine Highway ferries that ply the Inside Passage on the 4 night run between Bellingham, Washington and Whittier, Alaska. As to that South African port, I went back and checked the menu and it was pretty generic as to the KWV Tawny. It sure tasted complex and delicious though, much nicer (per my tastes) than the Ramos Pinto Quinta da Ervamoira 10 Year Old Tawny proffered by Cathay in its First Class cabins. I can't help but wonder if - with SAA being the national carrier - it got a special batch? It sure tasted better than a $15.00 bottle. The generous exchange rate with the Rand notwithstanding, anything under $10.00 sounds more like Ruby pricing. Have a great sail to Stockholm!

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
Who visits your part of Alaska this time of the year? With its 4- 5 hours of daylight and freezing cold temps.
You might be surprised. We got a thriving winter tourism business here in the Interior, much of it fueled by visitors from Japan and China. It's not uncommon to see wide-bodied charters from JAL and China Airlines (Taiwan) parked on the ramp at FAI during the winter months. I love it here in the winter. As an ex-Coloradoan, I cannot imagine living anywhere but Alaska.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:19 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Etihad 131 AUH-IAD is now a 787 - may the guzzling A340-600 RIP - it was far better in F.
https://seatguru.com/airlines/Etihad...ng_787_900.php
The F class suites have terrible storage space and face front to back.
The 2 window seats in row 1 face back while row 2 faces forward. The center seats are reversed
I often choose the 1st row of business as it is as quiet with more storage space for luggage although the windows in row 5 are for pilots

November 7, 2018
Japan Airlines Business Class ~ 787-9 ~ Tokyo, JA to Kuala Lumpur, MA ~ 1150a–645p ~ Lunch/Snack
Uzbekistan Airways Economy Class ~ 767-300 ~ Kuala Lumpur, MA to Singapore, SI ~ 745p-850p

JAL’s 787-9s are configured for Business, Premium Economy and Economy Classes – no First Class is offered.
Now that I think of it, are there any airlines operating 787s of any variant with a proper International First Class cabin? None come to mind…
Old Dec 30, 2018, 3:21 pm

Wow, 201 airlines. I think the only airline that I have ever flown on that you have not is Morris Air.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_Air
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Another fantastic trip report Seat2A -- I love seeing a new TR coming from you this time of year when I have time to sit down and read it over a few days over a nice glass (or three) of Scotch. Eagerly anticipating your next travel adventures.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Thank you, J! It's good to hear from you again. ^ As to my lack of experience with Greek carriers, the same can be said for most all of the southern European airlines. My only experience with any came aboard a Vueling A320, a Portugalia Embraer 145 and a TAP A319 back in 2013. It'd be great to visit Greece someday, though unfortunate that it won't be able to be done aboard the Onassis owned version of Olympic.
Ah, the Olympic Airways of Onassis! I have heard countless stories of its overall excellence. Apparently it was the best airline in the world under his leadership.

Hopefully you will make it to Greece one day as, even though I can be critical of my compatriots, they and the country have a great deal to offer.

Safe travels.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.