Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

FROM ALASKA TO AUSTRALIA : In Hot Pursuit of my 198th, 199th and 200th Airlines Flown

FROM ALASKA TO AUSTRALIA : In Hot Pursuit of my 198th, 199th and 200th Airlines Flown

Old Dec 18, 18, 1:41 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AA, WN, NK
Thank you for the report! Wonderful read! Can't wait to get home and see the pictures since they're blocked at work.
Old Dec 18, 18, 4:45 pm

Programs: All of them!
Great writing style and pictures! Thank you for sharing with all of us! By the way, Bud Maytag was with Frontier and National Airlines.
Old Dec 18, 18, 9:25 pm

Programs: Delta GM, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Another great report, Seat 2A! What an amazing report and travels so far - I envy all your travel experiences. I would love to fly on some of these airlines so far profiled here!
Old Dec 18, 18, 10:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond; Marriott Platinum
Thanks for the great trip report. My wife always asks why I like reading these and it is hard for her to understand. Although she has grown to appreciate me spending time on flyer talk to enjoy the finer travel experiences. Similar to your return from coach to the first class haven. Thank you for sharing, appreciate the well written report.
Old Dec 19, 18, 4:24 am

Your reports always make for wonderful reading and this one is no exception.
Regarding International First Class on 787s,
BA has it on their 789s
EY has it on a limited number of their 789s
WY has a couple of 789s with true First Class that they use for the LHR service

The only airline that I know of with First Class on a 788 would be MF, but last I heard they were thinking of removing F in favor of more J seats
Old Dec 19, 18, 8:40 am

Programs: UA 1K; AA Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Thank you Seat 2A! Your trip reports are always such fun and great reading material. I still say you need to put them all together someplace!
Old Dec 19, 18, 9:16 am

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Well, what can I say that hasn't been said already a dozen times over the years? Another masterpiece from my all time favourite trip reporter, written in his familiar style. Some may not appreciate the breadth of it in these days of instant gratification, but us oldschoolers love savouring it all in.

As usual this thing ruined an afternoon of work, but to heck with that, there's more to life than being a corporate drone - like flying in First on a world class carrier!!! Sadly ever after AAmerican ruined its FFP this has become an even more distant goal for me, but some day, some day...

Special kudos for getting this out so fast, TBH I wasn't expecting a new Seat2A epic until April or so. Hopefully fun times will be had in Tasmania and the return journey will also be covered in as much detail!
Old Dec 19, 18, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain View Post
I haven't read anything but the opening post yet but this is a real holiday treat! Congrats Seat 2A on one hell of an achievement. Time to tuck in and devour all of this. Just finished reading. What a lovely experience! So glad you found some fun airlines to cross the 200 barrier. I think I'm at a bare dozen. Emirates looked incredible as did JAL.
Thank you, MSY! This was a fun report to write. But then, aren't they all if you've got a good trip to write about. I've been fortunate to have traveled along some great itineraries over the years. I'm glad you enjoyed reading about this one.

Originally Posted by Madone59
Really great trip report Seat2A!! Congratulations on your 5,501st flight, and 200th airline Thank you for sharing and taking us along.
Thank you, Madone59! It's not often my trip reports warrant comment from a moderator, so double thanks for that! On to the next 200 airlines!

Originally Posted by rosensfole
Love the written style and graphical embellishments Mr. Seat2A! Another masterful and engaging report. Bravo. I can recommend you give the Air France La Premiere service (in the 773 though) a real good go. The lounge experience on its own is well worth the trip. This week will see me excise my craving for such excess
Thanks, Mr. R! I love the look of the new La Premiere suites and would love to fly in one someday. Unfortunately, Air France is no longer affiliated with Alaska's Mileage Plan so it could be awhile. In the meantime, here's wishing you a fantastic flight!

Originally Posted by Redwood839
What a fantastic trip report. I enjoyed reading every line, as always.
Given the overwhelming popularity of and instant gratification derived from photo reports, I've always wondered how many people actually read my complete reports. As one who prefers writing (I hesitate to call myself a writer just yet), I really appreciate the power of words to provide a more comprehensive view of flights, services and how I experienced them as opposed to a collection of photos with an occasional sentence or two. Then again, written reports take a lot longer to put together, not to mention read, so I completely understand why most people here favor a good photo report - of which there are many here at FT. Thanks for the kind words!

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Outstanding, Sir!
Thanks, G!
Old Dec 19, 18, 12:48 pm

Another wonderful TR Seat2A! Perhaps you may also be interested in joining the FT Fantasy Football league
Old Dec 19, 18, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Originally Posted by Fredrik74 View Post
Thanks for this report. I'm impressed by both your choice of airlines and your schedule. It helps when one travels in style though. I couldn't help thinking of Alaska's Persian Spiced Chicken, I can imagine the conversations if it had been named Iranian Spiced Chicken instead. I also realize I have missed an opportunity to fly an interesting airline between SIN and KUL. I have own travel lined up early next year onboard Scoot but Uzbekistan or Air Mauritius would have been something else.
Thanks, Fredrik! Short 5th Freedom markets like SIN to KUL provide an excellent opportunity to inexpensively fly on some fairly exotic airlines by Western standards. I paid about $70 USD each for those flights on Uzbekistan Airways and Air Mauritius. Actually, if you have some time to look around, you'll find some pretty good deals all around southeast Asia. SIN to CGK yields some good deals as does BKK to HKG. Last year I paid $83.00 for a flight aboard an Ethiopian 787 between Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur.

Originally Posted by pjs
As always - my favorite rabbit hole on FT. Thanks for delaying my afternoon of work.
Thanks, pjs! Diminished productivity at work seems to be a common thread in response to my reports. Try forwarding a copy of one to the Boss!

Originally Posted by lowmiles
Thank you for the report! Wonderful read! Can't wait to get home and see the pictures since they're blocked at work.
Thanks, lowmiles! Hope you found the pictures worth the wait!

Originally Posted by cs57
Great writing style and pictures! Thank you for sharing with all of us! By the way, Bud Maytag was with Frontier and National Airlines.
Thanks, cs57! We miss you over at the OTAQ&D. And you're right on re. Louis "Bud" Maytag who was only 32 years old when he bought a controlling interest in Frontier Airlines and became its chairman. He took the reins at National just four years later.

Originally Posted by 757
Another great report, Seat 2A! What an amazing report and travels so far - I envy all your travel experiences. I would love to fly on some of these airlines so far profiled here!
Thanks, 757! I would like to think that the reports here at the Trip Report forum might prove inspirational to many visitors. Here's wishing you many exciting travels in the years ahead.

Originally Posted by HLT1904
hanks for the great trip report. My wife always asks why I like reading these and it is hard for her to understand. Although she has grown to appreciate me spending time on flyer talk to enjoy the finer travel experiences. Similar to your return from coach to the first class haven. Thank you for sharing, appreciate the well written report.
Thank you, HLT. I should imagine that if she hasn't already done so, Mrs. HLT might gain a greater appreciation for reading these trip reports after flying in international First Class herself. Here's hoping that happens often for you both in the coming years.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 19, 18 at 1:39 pm
Old Dec 19, 18, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Neil Shah View Post
Your reports always make for wonderful reading and this one is no exception.
Regarding International First Class on 787s,
BA has it on their 789s
EY has it on a limited number of their 789s
WY has a couple of 789s with true First Class that they use for the LHR service
The only airline that I know of with First Class on a 788 would be MF, but last I heard they were thinking of removing F in favor of more J seats
Thanks, Neil . I totally forgot about BA which I do recall has a very nice First Class section on its 789s. Indeed, I may try to fly on it next time I cash in some miles for an Africa trip. I had no idea about EY, WY or MF though, so thanks for the update!

Originally Posted by deuce1
Thank you Seat 2A! Your trip reports are always such fun and great reading material. I still say you need to put them all together someplace!
Thanks, Deuce! I actually have put them all together - right here on Flyertalk. You'll find a link right HERE. Hopefully I can get this updated and improved in the next month or two.

Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
Well, what can I say that hasn't been said already a dozen times over the years? Another masterpiece from my all time favourite trip reporter, written in his familiar style. Some may not appreciate the breadth of it in these days of instant gratification, but us oldschoolers love savouring it all in.

As usual this thing ruined an afternoon of work, but to heck with that, there's more to life than being a corporate drone - like flying in First on a world class carrier!!! Sadly ever after AAmerican ruined its FFP this has become an even more distant goal for me, but some day, some day...

Special kudos for getting this out so fast, TBH I wasn't expecting a new Seat2A epic until April or so. Hopefully fun times will be had in Tasmania and the return journey will also be covered in as much detail!
Thanks, FlyingFinn! You've been one of my longest tenured readers and your kind comments are always appreciated. Quite a few people who used to comment in years past no longer do and I can't help but think that even my reporting style (or perhaps especially my reporting style) gets old after awhile. And, to be sure, I am an "old school" guy myself which might result in a reporting style which isn't for everyone. That's alright though - in the giant buffet of reports that make up the TR forum menu, there's never any shortage of new reporters and new readers. I'm happy to be a contributor.

BTW, Finnair recently joined Alaska's Mileage Plan which I'm sure you know still awards miles based upon distance flown rather than revenue generated. Perhaps it might still provide a good means of affordably accruing the requisite miles for some quality flying. Let's hope so. Award redemption on Finnair is pretty expensive but others such as JAL are very affordable (Just 75000 miles for my JAL First Class award)

As to my return trip flown MEL-DXB-IAH-SEA-ANC-FAI, I'm not sure at this point that I will report on it. I mean, Emirates First Class reports are by now quite common here on FT. But who knows - if I do it'll be a couple of months away. I'm still trying to finish off my Qantas report from last year!

Originally Posted by steveman518
Another wonderful TR Seat2A! Perhaps you may also be interested in joining the FT Fantasy Football league
Thanks, Steve! I had no idea there was an FT Fantasy Football league, but if it's up and running next season, I'd love to join. Please keep me in mind when the league is forming up.
Old Dec 19, 18, 2:50 pm
pjs

Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post

Thanks, pjs! Diminished productivity at work seems to be a common thread in response to my reports. Try forwarding a copy of one to the Boss!
Good idea, except I'm self-employed. Unless you mean my wife...
Old Dec 19, 18, 3:00 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Hilton Silver
This trip report is excellent! Subscribed!
Old Dec 19, 18, 3:12 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AS & AA GM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
Thank you, Madone59! It's not often my trip reports warrant comment from a moderator, so double thanks for that! On to the next 200 airlines!
Really I just needed an ice breaker, because I am fan-boying out over your Jackson Pollock esque My Flight Memory map ....seriously thought -great TR!
Old Dec 19, 18, 4:22 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
I will add to all the accolades for another terrific TR. I am bummed we didn't get to meet up a few weeks ago. I could have heard a lot of this first hand.

Search this Thread