Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:28 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Great ending to a fabulous TR!
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Originally Posted by tedcruz
Fabulous trip report!!! Already looking into going to YVR. When is the best time to go, to get good photos on seaplanes of course?
Originally Posted by theshaun
Anytime you get a sunny clear day is a great day to be here. Best odds used to be July and August but the last few years have brought smoke and a hazy blanket due to forest fires in the interior of the province which seem to be the summer norm now. A sunny day in May will have comfy temps and beautiful views.
I guess you can never really be sure what the weather is going to be like on any given day but, yeah, early summer would sound like a good bet.

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
You have discovered the one secret in Vancouver, a harbour Air flight when the weather is good. It is a great experience when the weather is favourable. I must say you got lucky with the weather, it's usually pretty dreary in December.

The new Vancouver Cathay Lounge is much better than the British Airways one; unfortunately there is no longer a dedicated Cathay Pacific First Class Section. The main disadvantage is the timings of the CX lounge which aren't optimal for British Airways flights. It's a beautiful space however. It's also much nicer to get a bowl of noodles instead of a package of crisps next door.
Ha! I wouldn't fancy being on one of those planes when the weather wasn't so good! On the CX lounge, yes, no dedicated F section, however, it was so quiet when I was there, that didn't matter. When it's busier, it may be different. If they'd opened, say, 30 mins earlier, it would have been perfect timing!

Originally Posted by 757
Amazing photos and report. Thanks for sharing! Vancouver looks beautiful; I'd love to visit sometime, and this is definitely on my short list of places my wife and I'd like to go to in the coming years.
Thanks 757. Vancouver is indeed beautiful. Hopefully you will manage to get a trip planned to go out there soon.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:04 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Thanks for another excellent TR from you.

I was surprised by how short the flight was from Vancouver, I had expected it to be around the 10/11 hour mark like you were flying to the West Coast of the USA.

Where is next up for your travels?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:29 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Fantastic ending to a fab trip report! Once again, thank you very much for sharing stu1985^
Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:53 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
loved all the pics of the bridge, definately could not have done that the height and probably unsteadiness of it would have not worked for me, but give me those oysters any time, they look good, and so fresh
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Thoroughly enjoyed your TR and nice to se you back writing up your adventures. Those back to back flights you did from LHR to PNX then LAS I would have certainly lost the plot with all those ups and downs, but obviously good TP runs. Thanks again for sharing your adventures

Last edited by DanielW; Jan 15, 2019 at 4:43 am Reason: Photo requote
Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nequine
Thanks for another excellent TR from you.

I was surprised by how short the flight was from Vancouver, I had expected it to be around the 10/11 hour mark like you were flying to the West Coast of the USA.

Where is next up for your travels?
Yeah, it's not as long as a LAX or SFO as you're already much further north!

Off to Cape Town in March!

Originally Posted by Andriyko
Fantastic ending to a fab trip report! Once again, thank you very much for sharing stu1985^
Thanks for reading and for your nice comment Andriyko!

Originally Posted by BA5E
loved all the pics of the bridge, definately could not have done that the height and probably unsteadiness of it would have not worked for me, but give me those oysters any time, they look good, and so fresh
Oysters were deliccccccccccccious!

Originally Posted by BA5E
Thoroughly enjoyed your TR and nice to se you back writing up your adventures. Those back to back flights you did from LHR to PNX then LAS I would have certainly lost the plot with all those ups and downs, but obviously good TP runs. Thanks again for sharing your adventures
Yeah, it was a decent TP haul!
nequine likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
really good trip report, I enjoyed it.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HawaiiFlyerDC8
really good trip report, I enjoyed it.
Thanks so much!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Newbie question. You said FAs were mixed fleet FA. What's that mean?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Newbie question. You said FAs were mixed fleet FA. What's that mean?
No problem!

The mixed fleet on BA are the newer fleet on BA (started in 2010 I believe). The crew tend to be much younger than those on the worldwide fleet. Their pay and benefits are different to the staff who started working for BA prior to 2010. They do a mixture of shorthaul and longhaul flying. The terminology is slightly different (Customer Service Manager instead of a Cabin Services Director) but the service (should) be the same on both fleets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.