Winter trip to Vancouver (via LA) in First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Winter trip to Vancouver (via LA) in First Class

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:08 am

Programs: Meh
Great TR as always, thanks for posting. The weather was great for you. I have been there when it has been very very cold.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:50 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by stu1985
Didn't know about the one from Loch Lomond - maybe one to check out later in the year!
I can't say I did until a colleague went on it. Here is their website - https://www.lochlomondseaplanes.com/
stu1985 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Originally Posted by stevie
Great TR as always, thanks for posting. The weather was great for you. I have been there when it has been very very cold.
Thanks stevie - much appreciated. I was so lucky with the weather - can only imagine what it must be like walking around when it is even colder!
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

I asked the Hilton for a late check out but the latest they could give me was 1pm which wasn't suitable because I wanted to be out all day. So I got up in the morning, packed all of my stuff and left my case and bag with the front desk while I took in some more of the sights before heading home. My friend had told me about a suspension bridge just outside of Vancouver which she thought I would like. So, after a wander for some coffee, I headed off I headed to the Capilano Suspension Bridge Park.

There's a free coach which picks up from just outside the main library and takes you there and also back into the city. The first one came at around 10.15am and I was up in way more than enough time to get that one. When we got to the Park it hadn't opened but opening was only a few minutes away. Tickets were $45 which I thought was a bit on the steep side but, after being in the Park, if the majority of that goes towards maintaining the Park then I have no qualms about paying it.

Headed off to the Suspension Bridge first. It was great having the park almost all to myself. I went with only around 20 other people and everyone just goes off and does their own thing. The only time I really saw anyone was when I had been around the whole Park and was making my way back via the Suspension Bridge which, at that point, was getting much busier with those who had arrived on subsequent buses or by their own steam. Anyway, the Park was just beautiful. They had kitted it out in (what I presume were) Christmas decorations as they looked really festive and I didn't think that they would be around all year. Perhaps I am wrong. It was so peaceful walking around and reading the various bits of information which were displayed.

Enjoy the pics!

Hopped on the bus back to the city....

I then grabbed an Uber and hopped across the city to meet my friend for lunch. She was working but managed to grab a lunch hour. We went to a great Taco place. Grabbed some views of the City Hall on my way to meet her.

Lunch was brilliant and it wasn't nice leaving my mate to go back to work and me back to the airport after spending to much time with her over the last week. I grabbed the metro and headed down to the Yaletown area. She'd told me of a great oyster place which I had to visit before leaving. I sat down by the water for a while and people watched before heading for oysters.

And then some amazing oysters at Rodney's. I especially liked the vodka and pepper mix which the server insisted I swill around the oyster shell to get the final taste of the oysters. Brilliant!

After another beer, I took the short walk back to the hotel to grab a cab back to YVR..... unfortunately, the holiday was now at an end
nequine likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:57 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Not sure I fancy going on that suspension bridge!!
roadwarrier likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge is also on the North Shore, also accessible via public transit, and it’s C$45 cheaper (i.e., free). I don’t believe it has all the fancy lights, though.
rene86mx likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:03 pm

Love Vancouver, hence love this report. Thanks for posting!!
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA
So happy you went to Rodney's! Their Caesars are amazing but I see you had a pint, so you'll just have to come back And yes, Lynn Canyon is $45 dollars cheaper and where most locals would likely go but is not as easy to get to without a car and doesn't have all the fancy schmancy infrastructure.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nequine
Not sure I fancy going on that suspension bridge!!
It was ace fun!

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge is also on the North Shore, also accessible via public transit, and it’s C$45 cheaper (i.e., free). I don’t believe it has all the fancy lights, though.
Ah-ha! Some good local knowledge there!

Originally Posted by SQTraveller
Love Vancouver, hence love this report. Thanks for posting!!
Thanks SQTraveller - hope to finish it off later.

Originally Posted by theshaun
So happy you went to Rodney's! Their Caesars are amazing but I see you had a pint, so you'll just have to come back And yes, Lynn Canyon is $45 dollars cheaper and where most locals would likely go but is not as easy to get to without a car and doesn't have all the fancy schmancy infrastructure.
A great reason to come back (as well as more Oysters!). And some more great local knowledge - will have to hire a car next time and save myself 45 bucks!
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Originally Posted by stu1985
Ahh gutted for you xenole that you had bad weather but glad you managed to do Grouse Mountain. That's one for my list next time I am in Van!

Will hopefully try get some more done tonight. Thanks for reading and commenting makin'miles

Thanks Andriyko - more to come soon!

Thanks for coming along for the ride Seat2A!I shouldn't imagine it takes too long to drive from LA to Phoenix (maybe with a few stops along the way. Drove from Vegas to Palm Springs earlier in the year and loved the drive. I was surprised with the meals on the flight over - definitely noticed an improvement in BA catering over the last year.
We have done the LAS to PSP run and it is a gorgeous drive
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

It took around 30 mins to get to YVR and when I got there, there was no queue at the F check-in so I was dealt with in no time. I headed through security and grabbed a few overpriced souvenirs in the shop and then headed towards the BA lounge. It was nothing special. The F class part of the lounge was tiny with an uninspired collection of sandwiches and crisps, some fruit and sweet nibbles. Yeah, great BA. Excellent for a F offering...... not. The only good part was the member of staff in the lounge. She took time to explain everything to those who came to the lounge and went around with trays of water at various points.

However, at 7.55pm, I hot footed it out of there and down to the Cathay Pacific lounge which I knew would be 100% better than the BA lounge.

My ride for tonight had already arrived.

Ahhh finally, a proper lounge where I could relax in.

I ordered some noodles and grabbed a beer.

BA84, YVR - LHR, G-CIVE, B747

It was getting close to departure time but the flight was just showing as "Gate Open" so I got another drink and chilled. In the space of 2 mins, the flight was showing as closing. Grabbed my stuff and got to the gate where I was amongst the last lot to board. Due to that, there was no wait as I went down the jet bridge and turned left into F. I was shown to my seat and then taken care of by a lovely Scottish lady member of crew who was just brilliant the whole flight. I settled in and was presented with a glass of fizz, the menu and PJs and slippers.

I had Row.1 to myself which did make it feel a little but like I was flying in my own private jet!

Top ups of drinks offered as boarding and loading of cases finished and then we were off on our way to get de-iced before we made the 8.5 hour trip across Canada and the Atlantic.

After take off, I changed into my PJs while the crew prepared my drink.

Tables were set for dinner...

Amuse my bouche.....

The brown sugar cured salmon was absolutely fantastic - probably the best starter I have ever had on BA. The pickled cucumber and seaweed salad went with it perfectly. I could have eaten another portion of it!

As always, BA do soups really well and this parsnip one was no different.

And the chicken. Nicely presented but didn't really taste of much. I just picked at it as I was getting tired at this point.

Whisky and chocolates before bed. Not sure what happened to the nice chocolates that they usually give to F passengers which led to handing out these Hotel Chocolat ones which cost Ł4......

My bed was made and I then slept like a baby until about 70 mins before landing. As soon I was awake and put my chair into more of an upright position, the nice member of cabin crew came over and asked how I slept and enquired as to whether I wanted some breakfast. I asked for an espresso while I had a look at the menu and then ordered.

The banana bread French toast was really tasty.

A few more glasses of orange juice and I changed out of my PJs and got ready for landing. The CSD came round thanking all F passengers for flying BA and I took that opportunity to tell him just how great my member of crew had been. He was grateful for me saying that and said that he would pass this on. I don't think we had to hold before coming into Heathrow so it wasn't long before we were on the ground and back in the rainy United Kingdom. I said goodbye to the crew and headed into Terminal 3. I decided to go through Arrivals and get some fresh air before heading over to Terminal 5 and back to the CCR.

On getting to the CCR, I had booked a cabana and grabbed a shower before heading into the lounge and having dinner around 6pm before getting the flight back home to Aberdeen. This was an unremarkable domestic flight. I didn't have the meal but asked for the small dessert and a drink.

So, all in all, this was a wonderful trip. The flights were generally great. I did like the BA 789 flight to LAX and can't wait for my next opportunity to take another flight on it. AA was impressive throughout - nice crew with nothing seeming to be too much trouble for them. Vancouver was brilliant. I am so glad that I was lucky with the weather - it really just topped the whole trip off.

Thanks for reading along and for all the nice comments - they are all appreciated. Ta-ta for now!
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
Fabulous trip report!!! Already looking into going to YVR. When is the best time to go, to get good photos on seaplanes of course?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by tedcruz
Fabulous trip report!!! Already looking into going to YVR. When is the best time to go, to get good photos on seaplanes of course?
Anytime you get a sunny clear day is a great day to be here. Best odds used to be July and August but the last few years have brought smoke and a hazy blanket due to forest fires in the interior of the province which seem to be the summer norm now. A sunny day in May will have comfy temps and beautiful views.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:06 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
You have discovered the one secret in Vancouver, a harbour Air flight when the weather is good. It is a great experience when the weather is favourable. I must say you got lucky with the weather, it's usually pretty dreary in December.

The new Vancouver Cathay Lounge is much better than the British Airways one; unfortunately there is no longer a dedicated Cathay Pacific First Class Section. The main disadvantage is the timings of the CX lounge which aren't optimal for British Airways flights. It's a beautiful space however. It's also much nicer to get a bowl of noodles instead of a package of crisps next door.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Amazing photos and report. Thanks for sharing! Vancouver looks beautiful; I'd love to visit sometime, and this is definitely on my short list of places my wife and I'd like to go to in the coming years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.