Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

An Engagement to Remember: BOS to ZQN (with a few stops along the way)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

An Engagement to Remember: BOS to ZQN (with a few stops along the way)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
Love the pics and story thus far. The weather in Queenstown brings back memories of when I travelled there in 2017. Looking forward to the rest.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Queenstown (Day 3)

Queenstown (Day 3)
21 January 2018

I'd been a bit nervous to this point. It snowed the day we arrived and the next day was cloudy and rainy. We only had one more day in Queenstown and I very much wanted to see Milford Sound before moving on. We had plans for the following day (Thursday), so Wednesday was really our only option for Milford Sound.

Luckily, the weather finally broke on Wednesday morning. We awoke to clear blue skies and I knew we had a really good shot at making it to Milford that day.

View from Villa Del Lago

View from Villa Del Lago

View from Villa Del Lago

View from Villa Del Lago

I called Milford Sound Flights around 8:45AM and they confirmed our flight would depart at 10AM. So we went to reception around 9AM to await the airport transfer. I could have driven us in our rental, but the transfer was included in the price so we took that instead.

Reception Waiting for Pickup
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Milford Sound Flights: Queenstown - Milford Sound

Milford Sound Flights
Charter Flight
Flight and Cruise Bundled Fare
ZQN-MFN (Queenstown to Milford Sound)
21 November 2018
Cessna 208B (One Class Configuration)
ZK-MSF
Co-Pilot Seat

Departure: 10:00AM
Arrival: 10:45AM

This flight was one of the activities I was most looking forward to, so I was very relieved when we received the go ahead. Once we showed up at the airport, we went inside to get weighed and to pay for our tickets. In return, we were handed a pamphlet of our flight route along with a boarding pass corresponding to the tail number of our plane. We hung around for a few minutes waiting for everyone to arrive and then our pilot Aaron showed up and corralled us all to the plane.

Tarmac View from Boarding Area/Holding Pen

Super Official Boarding Pass

Do Not Touch Propellers
One would think this is just common sense. Apparently not.

ZK-MSF

ZK-MSF

He then instructed folks where to sit, presumably for weight balance. When he got to me he asked if I wouldn't mind sitting up front. Obviously, I eagerly agreed. Zero hesitation. I left my pack with my other half and she was seated several rows back.

I must add that the IFE was really lacking. I don't know if mine was broken, but I just couldn't figure out how to watch Spongebob Squarepants on this thing. Also, where's the FA and CSD? No PDBs or snack service. No recognition of status. No amuse bouche. Just terrible.

My Seat
Legroom wasn't too tight, though better than what the folks in the cheap seats had to work with. Just had to watch out the yoke didn't whack me in the, um, well you get the point.

IFE
The IFE system was clearly busted.

IFE Controls
The pilot finally got the IFE working, but he was watching the most boring movie I've ever seen. I didn't get any headphones either.

Taxiing

Taking Off

Airborne on the first try!

Double Cone
Remarkables Ski Area beyond that peak

Kawaru River

Kawaru River

Lake Hayes

Hill near Lake Hayes

Our Pilot Aaron

Coronet Peak Ski Area

Coronet Peak

Coronet Peak

Shotover River

Shotover River

Mount Aurum

Mount Aurum

Mount Aurum

Avalanche

Ski-able

Mount Aspiring National Park

Rees River

Rees River

Rees River

Mount Earnslaw

Lake Mckerrow

Lake Mckerrow

Skippers Range

Skippers Range Passing Over Mount Madeline

Mount Tutoko

Kaipo River

Tasman Sea

Llawrenny Peaks

Llawrenny Peaks

Llawrenny Peaks

Fjord

Milford Sound

Milford Sound

Milford Sound

MFN Airport

Final Approach

Final Approach

Final Approach

Landed

Taxiing

Taxiing
Wonder what this button does...

MFN
Lots of charter flights that day

Overall, this was a great flight. Apart from saving a huge amount of time versus driving, seeing things from above was a totally different experience from seeing them on the ground.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Milford Sound

Milford Sound
Mitre Peak Cruises

After getting off the plane, we headed to the meeting area by the ATC tower. There's no terminal building at MFN. The shuttle bus showed up a few minutes later and it was a two minute ride to the ferry terminal.

Milford Sound

We went through the terminal and found our ship (not pictured).

Milford Sound

Our ship departed a few minutes later. Overall, the process was pretty efficient.

Milford Sound

Milford Sound

Bowen Falls

Milford Sound

Milford Sound

Milford Sound

Milford Sound

Milford Sound

Milford Sound
Veins of copper and gold visible

Milford Sound

Milford Sound

Milford Sound

Milford Sound

Milford Sound

Milford Sound
A seal on a rock

Milford Sound
Same seal, same rock

Milford Sound
Mr. Seal posing for the camera

Milford Sound
Getting ready to dive into the water

Milford Sound

Milford Sound

Milford Sound
A non-permanent waterfall

Milford Sound
Take note of the ferry for scale. The fjords are immense.

Milford Sound

Milford Sound
Penguins, look closely

Milford Sound
Mrs. Penguin going to look for food while Mr. Penguin stands watch over their egg

Milford Sound
Closeup of penguin

Milford Sound

Milford Sound

Milford Sound

Milford Sound

Milford Sound
Seals on a rock

Milford Sound
Seals catching some sun

Milford Sound
Same seals

Milford Sound
Seals closeup. They look a little derpy, I must say.

Milford Sound
This is a big waterfall

Milford Sound

Milford Sound
Got a little wet

Milford Sound
For scale

Milford Sound
That's not a small ship. The scales are immense.

Milford Sound

Milford Sound

Milford Sound
Milford Discovery Center

Milford Sound

Milford Sound

Milford Sound

Milford Sound

Milford Sound

Milford Sound

Overall, it was a very nice cruise. Lasted about 2 hours. We finished up as the clouds began rolling in, so we got very luck with a short window of spectacular weather.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Milford Sound Flights: Milford Sound - Queenstown

Milford Sound Flights
Charter Flight
Flight and Cruise Bundled Fare
MFN-ZQN (Milford Sound to Queenstown)
21 November 2018
Cessna 208B (One Class Configuration)
ZK-MSF
Seat 3B

Departure: 1:30PM
Arrival: 2:15PM

Unfortunately, I didn't get the front seat this time around. But the flight was great in the reverse too. We got back to ZQN just as the clouds were rolling in, so really great timing overall.

Milford Sound to Queenstown

Sutherland Falls
In the distance

After the flight, we went to the apartment to get the car. Then we did a bit of grocery shopping in Frankton and then headed into town to grab an early dinner. We grabbed tacos from the super friendly guys at Taco Medic, who happened to all be Americans. Then we went back to the apartment to pack for an early morning departure the following day.

Last edited by swingaling; Dec 3, 2018 at 11:02 am
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Glad you had a great trip! Glad I could help your plan.

Wow, what lucky weather for Milford Sound.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG
Spectacular shots of the whole Milford Sound experience, what a brilliant day it turned out to be.
After dozens of trips over the years to ZQN I still can't believe I haven't made time for a day trip like this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by snabbu
Spectacular shots of the whole Milford Sound experience, what a brilliant day it turned out to be.
After dozens of trips over the years to ZQN I still can't believe I haven't made time for a day trip like this.
Driving from Queenstown to Milford Sound instead of flying is a great experience as well.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Queenstown to Mount Cook / Aoraki

Queenstown to Mount Cook / Aoraki
22 November 2018

The plan for the day was to drive up to Mount Cook, hike the Hooker Valley Track and overnight near Twizel. Since the drive to Mount Cook / Aoraki would take around 3 hours (without stops), we decided to leave first thing. After a quick breakfast, we completed the check-out formalities, which consisted of handing the room key to reception, and were on the road before 9AM. It was a dreary, overcast day in Queenstown and weather forecasts for Mount Cook Village were predicting rain. Perhaps not the best weather, but it would do.

For those who haven't been to New Zealand, the roads in much of the country are typically not limited access dual carriageways (i.e. freeways). Rather, the roads were very similar to state highways in rural parts of the US. Very similar to state roads in Maine, for example. As a result, driving times are longer than one might expect.

We made a few stops along the way for photos and gas, but otherwise took the most direct route to the mountain.

First stop was a lookout at Roaring Meg on Kawarau Gorge Rd less than an hour outside of Queenstown. A few quick pics and back on the road. To this point, we'd passed through numerous vineyard and wineries. Now the roads were winding through canyons and the scenery changed quite markedly.

Roaring Meg

Roaring Meg

Roaring Meg

The second stop was about 75 minutes later at the Lindis Pass Viewpoint, close to the Otago/Canterbury border. The cloud cover was very low and it had been snowing/raining that morning. The foggy clouds and snowy fields made for a very bright conditions. We considered going a few hundred meters along the trail to get a better view, but the snow melt had turned the trail into a creek and neither of us wanted to get our feet wet before our hike later.

Lindis Pass
Very low clouds. Mountain peaks completely obscured.

Lindis Pass
Lonely Jucy van

Lindis Pass
Tourist selfies and snow ball fight

Lindis Pass
What it really looked like. It was a busy tourist stopping point.

Longslip Mountain
From Lindis Pass Road

We started to descend from the ~1,000m elevations in the Lindis Pass and the scenery changed once again. Green returned and we began passing by numerous sheep farms in the foothills.

Lindis Pass
A few km before hitting the Ahuriri River

The scenery changed again, as we transitioned to a large flat valley between the various mountains. This section was dominated by rivers and large plots of farm/grazing land. We began to see larger sheep farms and many more dairy farms (i.e. Holsteins).

Outside Omarama
Still several km from Omarama

Outside Omarama

Mount St. Cuthbert

Clay Cliffs
Seen from Omarama Lindis Pass Road

We quickly stopped for gas in Omarama and continued onward. Before long we passed into the Mackenzie Region and the weather started to clear up a bit.

Ben Ohau Range
The Pyramid and other nearby peaks

Before long, we reached Lake Pukaki. The photos don't really do justice to the true color of the water, which is a bright turquoise due to dissolved minerals in the water picked up while flowing down the mountain. The lake is fed by the Hooker and Tasman Glaciers on Mount Cook / Aoraki. At nearly 20 miles long, it's the largest lake in the region, though only the 5th largest on the South Island overall.

Not pictured are the 100 or so tourists milling about taking selfies.

Lake Pukaki

Lake Pukaki

Mount Brown
And ridge line leading to Mauka Atua

Mt Cook Road
Sebastopol on the left, Mount Sefton in center (snow covered) and Mount Wakefield on the right.

Mt Cook Road
Sebastopol on the left and Mount Sefton in center (snow covered).

Mt Cook Road
Mount Sefton in center (snow covered) and Mount Wakefield on the right.

Soon enough, we arrived at Mount Cook Village. We were hungry by then, so we stopped at The Old Mountaineer's Cafe for a quick lunch. The food was good and we were in and out pretty quickly.

The Old Mountaineer's Cafe
Mount Sefton in background

The Old Mountaineer's Cafe

Mount Wakefield
Seen from our table at lunch

Mount Sefton
From The Old Mountaineer's Cafe parking lot.

Mount Ollivier Foothills (left)
From The Old Mountaineer's Cafe parking lot with snowy, glaciated Mount Sefton on the right.

After a quick lunch, it was time to make the short drive to the Hooker Valley Track trail head so we could begin the hike. The views were amazing.

Mount Wakefield (R) and Mount Sefton (L/C)

Mount Sefton
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by injian
Love the pics and story thus far. The weather in Queenstown brings back memories of when I travelled there in 2017. Looking forward to the rest.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Glad you had a great trip! Glad I could help your plan.

Wow, what lucky weather for Milford Sound.
For sure. I spoke to other people who'd been to Milford several times and it rained each time. Luck was on our side that day.

Originally Posted by snabbu
Thank you! It's well worth the effort and saves a huge amount of time compared to going by tour bus (or self-driving).

Originally Posted by Elli
Driving from Queenstown to Milford Sound instead of flying is a great experience as well.
I don't doubt it. We elected to fly primarily because neither of us was overly fond of the notion of a 13hr day going there by tour bus (or self-driving). Given the 4-5 hours of driving I had to do the following day, a drive to Milford was out of the question. If we'd had a longer stay in Queenstown, we definitely would have considered driving.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Mount Cook / Aoraki

Mount Cook / Aoraki
Hooker Valley Track
22 November 2018

After putting on some sunscreen and packing a small day pack, we set off on the short(ish) walk to Hooker Lake.

The weather was comfortable for a short hike, but unfortunately the cloud cover was quite low. As a result, much of Mount Cook / Aoraki was obscured behind clouds for the entire walk to Hooker Lake. The views were still great, though.

Hooker Valley Track

Hooker Valley Track
Mount Wakefield

Lake Mueller

First Suspension Bridge
Over Hooker River

Mount Sefton

First Suspension Bridge
Over Hooker River

Hooker River and Mueller Lake

Second Suspension Bridge
Over Hooker River

Second Suspension Bridge
Over Hooker River

Mueller Lake

Hooker Valley Track

Mount Cook (C)
Now partially visible, but mostly hidden in clouds.

Mount Cook (R)
Now partially visible, but mostly hidden in clouds.

Hooker Valley Track

Mount Sefton
Good view of glaciers

Mount Cook
Hidden by clouds and a small hill

Third Suspension Bridge
Over Hooker River

Third Suspension Bridge
Over Hooker River

Mount Sefton

After roughly 75 minutes, we arrived at the end of the track. Or at least as far as we'd be taking it. Unfortunately, much of Mount Cook was still hidden by clouds. Overall, it was a fairly easy walk and plenty of other people around doing the walk with us.

Hooker Lake and Hooker Glacier

Hooker Valley Track

Hooker Valley Track

After sitting down for a bit to admire the scenery, we began the walk back. On the way back, we heard several avalanches on Mount Sefton. Not surprising given it was late spring.

Hooker Valley Track

Hooker Valley Track

Hooker Valley Track

Hooker Valley Track

As luck would have it, the summit of Mount Cook began to peek out from behind the clouds a few minutes after we began the journey back.

Mount Cook Summit Peeking Out

Hooker Valley Track

Glaciers

Mount Cook

Mount Cook
Finally! What I'd been hoping for.

Mount Cook

Mount Cook

Mount Cook

Mount Cook

Mount Cook

Hooker Valley Track

The return trip took about 75 minutes or so. We quickly piled into the rental car and got on the road. Next stop was Twizel, where we'd be spending the night.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Mount Cook to Twizel

Mount Cook to Twizel
22 November 2018

The drive to Twizel was quick, 25min tops. Once we arrived, we went to Poppie's Cafe for some dinner then went to check in at our lodging for the night.

Mount Cook to Twizel

Mount Cook to Twizel

Mount Cook to Twizel

Mount Cook to Twizel

Mount Cook to Twizel

Mount Cook to Twizel

Mount Cook to Twizel

Mount Cook to Twizel

Mount Cook to Twizel

Poppie's Cafe

Poppie's Cafe

Poppie's Cafe
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

SkyScape

SkyScape
Twizel
22 November 2018

During the planning stages of the trip, I was having trouble finding accommodations near Mount Cook. The Hermitage was fully booked 8 months in advance, despite the mediocre reviews. We wanted to stay somewhere nicer than a motel, so our options were pretty limited. I happened upon SkyScape, which was a relatively new property. It's a single guest room located on a 6,000 acre sheep and cattle farm in Twizel. Located at the base of the Ben Ohau Range, it overlooks the entire valley, with views for miles. The area is also a dark sky reserve, boasting excellent views of the night sky (weather and moon phase permitting).

Its location was also fairly convenient, as we had to be back in Queenstown the following day to commence our journey back home. I also wanted to stay somewhere that would be special and romantic, as I planned to propose to my better half here. I'm won't go into detail, but it went well.

From Twizel, SkyScape was pretty easy to find. Owned and run by a young couple, the check-in process happens at their home. Since we'd prepaid, there were no formalities, so they led the way to the room. Located 3km from their home (though still on the same parcel of land), we drove behind them to the room. They showed us how everything worked and answered our questions then left us to our own devices.

SkyScape

SkyScape

SkyScape

SkyScape

SkyScape is a pretty unique property and it was clearly designed to fit the surroundings. The property is completely off the grid. It runs entirely on solar power (with battery backup) and propane (for hot water, stove and heat). There is wifi and cell service was great.

The structure is all concrete and glass, so it warms up easily. There are no window coverings, but there's no other buildings or people within eyesight (or within 2km for that matter), so it's extremely private. There are around 3,500 sheep on the property, so it's pretty common to see flocks of sheep grazing very close by.

SkyScape

SkyScape

SkyScape

SkyScape
We really liked the huge outdoor bathtub

SkyScape

SkyScape
Excuse the unmade bed. I forgot to get this angle the evening we arrived.

Kitchen
Nice kitchenette. The gas burners worked well for tea and basic cooking.
Above the cabinet are 4 types of tea. Inside the top cabinet is a French press, ground coffee, sugar and bone china dishes.

Kitchen
Breakfast was provided in the room rate. Muesli, Weetabix, bananas and amazingly good local honey.

Fridge
Breakfast (cont.): bread for toast, yogurt, local jam, butter, sliced pear, mango nectar and milk.

The bathroom is pretty nice. Nothing fancy, but clean and modern with quality fixtures. Great fit and finish. The flooring is polished concrete kept cool with circulating cold water.

Bathroom
With photo of Marcus the bull on the wall.

Shower
Great water pressure and fast hot water.

Bathroom
Heated towel rack

Entryway

Bedroom

Bedroom
Super comfy king bed.

View from the bed
Great sky views

My only regret was we were visiting during a (nearly) full moon. The moon was incredibly bright and the skies were partly cloudy. As a result, we weren't able to see any stars whatsoever.

Sheep Included

Sheep
She's watching us...

More Sheep

Marcus the Bull
Spotted in his pen while my better half was out running.

Breakfast for Two
We brought some eggs with us so I cooked us scrambled eggs. Great breakfast.
standch and gpy like this.

Last edited by swingaling; Dec 1, 2018 at 11:24 am
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:21 pm

Very interesting that the C fare from Stockholm was $2,000. A great deal for such a long trip. We also had the same chocolate cake on Qatar from Doha to New York. The food / bread was not so great. Interesting that BA are now serving leaves as a starter like the US airlines. I hate that. They used to have decent starters. Beautiful pictures. Thanks.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Air New Zealand: Queenstown - Auckland

Air New Zealand
Economy Class (Y)
Discounted Economy Class Fare
NZ622: ZQN-AKL (Queenstown to Auckland)
23 November 2018
Airbus A320 (One Class Configuration)
ZK-OXF
Seat 9D

Departure: 02:30PM
Arrival: 04:20PM

We set out back to Queenstown at 9AM. With a 2.5hr drive ahead of us and a 12PM rental return deadline, I wanted to give us a little buffer time in case of traffic. We followed the same route in the reverse, so we didn't bother making any stops along the route.

The weather on the return drive was markedly different from the previous day, however. As you can see below.

Lindis Pass

Lindis Pass

Lindis Pass

Lindis Pass

We returned the rental and arrived at the airport with plenty of time to spare, so we headed to Airpresso to grab a quick lunch. The food was good enough, though not noteworthy.

Lunch at Airpresso

Eventually, security opened and we went through to our boarding gate. After a few minutes, an American man about my age came out of the bathrooms and complained to the gate agent about a problem in the bathroom (and a bad smell). I couldn't make out the conversation, but a member of security came along shortly and went into the bathroom the investigate. Apparently, a 20-30yr old Chinese man had been smoking cigarettes in the mens bathroom, which happens to be illegal just about everywhere I've ever flown. Security escorted him back to the security checkpoint and then let him go sit down in the gate area with his travel companion.

A few minutes later, Queenstown police officers came into the secure area and led him away. I then observed the aforementioned gate agent unloading him from our flight. Presumably, the police were either arresting him or issuing a citation/fine. Not exactly sure. But it was the first time I'd witnessed something like that in an airport. Not that I'm complaining. I was glad they did something about it.

After an eventful wait at the gate, our plane was finally called for boarding.

Boarding ZK-OXF

The flight was not full, so we had a row to ourselves. This time, there were no issues and the flight departed normally and arrived on time at AKL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.