Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

A Week in the Caucasus: Georgia, Azerbaijan and Armenia

A Week in the Caucasus: Georgia, Azerbaijan and Armenia

Reply

Old Nov 20, 18, 7:05 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Programs: BA GOLD, HH Diamond
Posts: 2,139
Beautiful pictures - thanks
stevie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 18, 11:33 am
  #17  
Moderator, Trip Reports
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 6km East of EPAYE
Programs: UA Silver, AS & AA GM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,154
Absolutely awesome photos!! Thank you for sharing this TR, Azerbaijan is moving up my list for sure.
Madone59 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 18, 11:41 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: OTP, CHQ, EIN and beyond
Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, Aegean silver, Umbi Umbi classic
Posts: 860
You made some absolutely stunning pictures, thanks for sharing! Baku surely looks different in Summer weather compared to the cold and wet rains in March when I was there, and I get a sudden longing to re-visit the Georgian mountains again (and for Adjaran khachapuri!)
Romanianflyer is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 18, 8:22 pm
  #19  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney Australia
Programs: VA,GA, SQ, IHG, HH, Europcar
Posts: 1,447
Amazing pictures - thanks for sharing
adampenrith is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 18, 5:44 am
  #20  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: London
Programs: BA - Gold, Doner kebab gold member
Posts: 14
Awesome pictures, loved it, great report
IlikeBowling is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 18, 1:20 pm
  #21  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SEA
Programs: Skymiles Plat/1MM, United Prem, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Posts: 304
Wonderful report and really awesome photos. I would have had one of those dogs come back with me regardless of the consequences....
lb8001 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 18, 8:40 am
  #22  
757
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: St. Paul, MN
Programs: Delta GM, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Posts: 288
Amazing report and incredible photos. Looks like a really great trip! I am also looking forward to your next report - my wife and I went to Panama 3 years ago for a vacation, and we loved our time there. Looking forward to hearing about your trip. Be sure to visit Casco Viejo!
757 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 18, 3:21 pm
  #23  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: TPA
Programs: IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE
Posts: 1,149
Originally Posted by roadwarrier View Post
Great report, thank you. I used to visit Georgia several times in the past, and always remember the hospitable Immigration officials, something that one does not experience in many countries. Lovely Country and friendly people - I really want to visit again.
What had you traveling to Georgia so much in the past? Awesome country for travel, I would most certainly return. I also agree on Gerogian hospitality, second to none in my experience.

Originally Posted by stevie View Post
Beautiful pictures - thanks
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Madone59 View Post
Absolutely awesome photos!! Thank you for sharing this TR, Azerbaijan is moving up my list for sure.
Thank you. Baku is an interesting city for sure. Maybe when you go, you can take the train from Baku to Tbilisi. Also, if you plan on visiting Armenia, make sure you do that after visiting Azerbaijan to avoid any excessive questions by immigration officials.

Originally Posted by Romanianflyer View Post
You made some absolutely stunning pictures, thanks for sharing! Baku surely looks different in Summer weather compared to the cold and wet rains in March when I was there, and I get a sudden longing to re-visit the Georgian mountains again (and for Adjaran khachapuri!)
Thank you! I'm going to have to make myself some Khachapuri at home soon, that's how much I liked it lol.
ChiefNWA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 18, 3:24 pm
  #24  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: TPA
Programs: IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE
Posts: 1,149
Originally Posted by adampenrith View Post
Amazing pictures - thanks for sharing
Thanks!

Originally Posted by IlikeBowling View Post
Awesome pictures, loved it, great report
Thank you!

Originally Posted by lb8001 View Post
Wonderful report and really awesome photos. I would have had one of those dogs come back with me regardless of the consequences....
Thanks, and if only it was that easy. All the stray/wild dogs we saw were super friendly too.

Originally Posted by 757 View Post
Amazing report and incredible photos. Looks like a really great trip! I am also looking forward to your next report - my wife and I went to Panama 3 years ago for a vacation, and we loved our time there. Looking forward to hearing about your trip. Be sure to visit Casco Viejo!
Thank you!

You're in luck, I just posted the Panama trip report a few minutes ago. Not as in-depth or long as this one as I only had one full day, but still a fun and enjoyable trip.

A Short Trip to Panama City, Panama
ChiefNWA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 18, 2:01 am
  #25  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: JNB
Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Posts: 1,031
What had you traveling to Georgia so much in the past? Awesome country for travel, I would most certainly return. I also agree on Gerogian hospitality, second to none in my experience.
I dealt with Transporters and Mines in the region, and we used to ship containers into the port of Poti and transport by road, so lots of careful planning had to be done and it was up to me to ensure that everything went according to plan without any incidents. Glad to say, all my trips paid off since we had zero issues for the years that we supplied goods into that region.
So besides dealing with Staff in the Hospitality industry, I also dealt with Businesses and Governmental people. The best part with dealing with Businesses was generally one would end up eating, drinking (too much), and toasting every few minutes. The toasts would be in praise of the older generation to the children and future generation, which to me, shows how they value their people and the respect they bestow on each other.
roadwarrier is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 18, 8:31 am
  #26  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: TPA
Programs: IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE
Posts: 1,149
Originally Posted by roadwarrier View Post
I dealt with Transporters and Mines in the region, and we used to ship containers into the port of Poti and transport by road, so lots of careful planning had to be done and it was up to me to ensure that everything went according to plan without any incidents. Glad to say, all my trips paid off since we had zero issues for the years that we supplied goods into that region.
So besides dealing with Staff in the Hospitality industry, I also dealt with Businesses and Governmental people. The best part with dealing with Businesses was generally one would end up eating, drinking (too much), and toasting every few minutes. The toasts would be in praise of the older generation to the children and future generation, which to me, shows how they value their people and the respect they bestow on each other.
Glad to see I'm not the only one that found Georgians exceedingly hospitable. More the reason to go back one day.
roadwarrier likes this.
ChiefNWA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 18, 1:44 pm
  #27  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 799
Thanks for another great TR from you - fantastic photos again!
nequine is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 18, 8:20 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, TX -- AA PLT 2.8MM+ (life PLT); IHG PLT Ambassador; UA Gold
Posts: 5,393
Wow amazing report and pictures! Tbilisi and Baku have changed a bit since our visit in 2005! We also went up to Kazbegi and Haghpat/Sanahin monasteries.
hauteboy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 18, 12:00 pm
  #29  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: TPA
Programs: IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE
Posts: 1,149
Originally Posted by nequine View Post
Thanks for another great TR from you - fantastic photos again!
Thanks again!

Originally Posted by hauteboy View Post
Wow amazing report and pictures! Tbilisi and Baku have changed a bit since our visit in 2005! We also went up to Kazbegi and Haghpat/Sanahin monasteries.
Thank you! Can't wait to go back, Kazbegi was amazing.
ChiefNWA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 18, 3:46 pm
  #30  
1P
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.8MM 1K , HHonors Gold, Marriott Plat (hah!), Best Western Plat, Hertz #1 Gold PC, Avis Preferred
Posts: 2,950
Just caught up with this TR. Wonderful photos! My closest approach to Georgia was a great Georgian restaurant in Moscow. Now I will have to go to the country itself!
1P is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread