Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Spring Airlines Spring Plus Class BKK-PVG (no pictures)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2018, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)

Not many reports about this airline when I was searching for information, so hopefully this might be of use for others considering booking with them.

Booking

Done on line, site accepts foreign cards. All very easy.

The initial booking page shows fares without tax and fuel surcharge, which are considerable additions to the listed fares (BKK-PVG was listed as USD58.50, rising to USD174.40 including USD70 fuel surcharge).

You must register as a Spring member to proceed to the tax and fees page and to complete yuor booking (no 'guest' access).

Seat selection is during booking stage, and this seems to be the only time you can access the seat map. The ‘manage booking’ function on the mobile site only appears to allow the viewing of ticket receipts, and to upsize baggage or select a meal.

The manage booking function for my booking said there was no meal included in my fare, and offered to sell me a beef and rice dish for USD4.90.

I emailed Spring customer service who replied within the hour to say a meal was indeed included - as advertised - with my spring plus fare. They also confirmed my seat selection.

Airport

Priority check-in is only offered from select cities ex China, but arrival at the airport exactly two hours before departure meant no queues. I was passenger 150+ to check in, so the majority must have been there a good three hours prior.

Bag and cabin bag weight were strictly enforced. The total allowance for Spring a plus is 25kg, of which the cabin bag can be no more than 5kg.

I was allowed 26kg total with no charge.

Cabin bag size is also strictly enforced, and the max size is a small international rolla-board. Max dimensions are 20x30x40 centimetres (roughly 8x12x15.5 inches). Cabin bags are tagged at check-in. The hold bag was tagged ‘Spring Plus priority’.

The boarding pass had a small green ‘Spring Plus’ sticker attached.

Formalities

Spring Plus comes with no mention of express immigration or security. I didn’t try to see if it I could access premium immigration (via the green sticker). It didn't matter as the general queues were non existent at 1.00am.

Gate

The boarding pass stated boarding at 0130 (for an 0220 departure). In fact the gate didn’t open until around 0130. Lighters were confiscated at a final check before entering the gate.

Boarding commenced around 0145.

Despite the benefits of Spring Plus stating priority boarding is not offered outside select cities in China, a preliminary call was made for ‘priority’ passengers with yellow and green stickers on their boarding passes. Yellow stickers were families with small children (and I guess also those with other special needs).

Priority boarding worked well.

Boarding

Without exception everyone had tiny carry-on bags. Boarding was extremely quick with plenty of room in the overheads.

We were boarded and doors closed at around 0200.

Cabin

Spring Plus is the front two rows of the A320. It is standard economy 3-3 seating, but with 36 inch pitch. The middle seat is not blocked and the seats have no recline function.

Overhead bins above 1DEF are blocked for safety equipment, but this didn’t matter as everyone’s bags were so small they could be accommodated in the remaining lockers.

A reasonably plump pillow (although small in size) and blanket were at each Spring Plus seat. These were not offered in coach. There is no IFE.

Service

Prior to departure there was an individual welcome from the dedicated cabin attendant for Spring Plus. She explained the meal service (20 minutes after take off), the drinks options (water, juice or Coke), and that if we needed anything at any time, to press the call button.

The safety briefing was delivered in three languages (Chinese, Thai and English). The crew took safety seriously, making sure the cabin was completely secured.

After take-off the curtain between Spring Plus and economy was closed. This was done meticulously, with the FA making sure all the pleats were exactly the same distance apart and not a single gap remained. Only one passenger ‘breached’ the curtain for the entirety of the four hour flight. This was to use the forward WC during the later stages of climb to our cruising altitude. Otherwise the forward WC was reserved for crew and Spring Plus.

The meal was delivered around 30 minutes after takeoff. It is a simple box-type affair with a bread roll, some New Zealand butter, a cream cake, and a hot main meal. For this flight it was a chicken parmigiana with snow peas and fried potato cubes.

The chicken was outstanding! A whole chicken breast that was moist, succulent, and cut easily with the plastic knife provided. The breading on the outside was still crisp and crunchy in a couple of places (pretty good considering it had been steam heated). The sauce was delicious. If I had been served this in a casual Italian bistro I would have been very happy.

Water (my selection) was presented in an individual bottle. Coke and orange juice were served in paper cups. It appeared you only got a bottle of water if you ordered it with your meal. Outside of the meal water was served in a paper cup. (So if you want to have your own bottle for later in the flight, make sure you get one with the meal.)

Economy class was offered buy on board drinks and snakcs.

Then it was lights out until around 30 minutes before arrival when the captain announced the top of descent.

On the announcement of descent the crew began to secure the cabin. This was mainly getting bags put away. Three Spring Plus passengers who had skipped the meal service on departure asked for their meal and it was duly heated and brought to them. Other Plus passengers asked for juice/water. I asked for a coffee which was the 3-in-1 premix variety, but really welcome after a pretty gruelling 4 hour red-eye on an A320.

Arrival

We arrived at a remote stand and were bused to the terminal. There was no priority disembarkation (passengers from rows 3 and 4 actually pushed past passengers from rows 1 and 2 who were already standing in the aisle. Although there appeared to be a ‘Spring Plus’ dedicated van waiting beside the larger bus it wasn’t used. But at least being amongst the first off Spring Plus pax got seats on the main bus.

Verdict

Spring offered me the flight times I wanted (8am arrival into Shanghai) and the ‘Plus’ cabin was a fraction of the business class fares charged by other carriers (Juneyao Airlines does have some cheap business class fares, but not on this day unfortunately, and they also had a much earlier arrival time of around 6am which is just that little bit too early)

The extra for Spring Plus gives peace of mind for baggage, a spacious seat, and really - to be honest - pretty good service (using the limited soft product they had to work with). Nothing was too much trouble for the crew in terms of doing what they could.

Economy Cabin

Spring’s economy section is split in two.. ‘preferred’ seats at 30 inch pitch (for an extra charge during booking, but I guess if the plane is full some folk would get them for free) and ‘regular’ seats at 28 inch pitch. There are also exit rows for additional charge. On my flight the fare difference for Plus was around USD20-40, making it excellent value, but I booked just a couple days before departure.

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; Oct 16, 2018 at 7:25 am Reason: fixing spelling!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.