Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

ON THE ROAD AGAIN: From Connecticut to Alaska by Road, Rail, Air & Sea (and SE Asia)

ON THE ROAD AGAIN: From Connecticut to Alaska by Road, Rail, Air & Sea (and SE Asia)

Old Oct 11, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Hilton Gold
I have absolutely loved every word of the prose written by you; and though I wouldn't undertake some of the journeys you had, it was a singular pleasure reading your report for 3-4 blissful hours.

Please do more of these (I don't remember seeing any report the Australia trip you mention with Qantas First SYD-DFW), may you have a stronger back to support more of such trips and thank you again.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
Ahhh, another long awaited piece of art from the internet's favourite trip reporter! This report totally destroyed my productivity for a couple of days, but obviously it was absolutely worth it! Great stuff as always.

Having read every single Seat2A report over here (and the copies that were once posted on a.net too) multiple times over I can certainly recognize a lot of the recycled pictures and paragraphs - but at this scale that's easy to forgive. Over the years these reports have inspired me to do many things, including lots of roadtrips through the American West and a couple of Amtrak long distance trains (in sleepers of course!). Keep up the good work, Elton! There sure is an appreciative readership around here.
Thank you, FlyingFinn! I do hope my reports haven't resulted in any work related discipline for all of you who've burnt the midnight oil reading this tale. And of course you're right on the recycled pictures and paragraphs. I always wondered how many people would notice but when it comes to describing the roomettes or providing pictures of my nth ride on the Zephyr or Starlight, why not? I already have so many pictures from trips on these trains - and good pictures at that - that using them instead allowed me to sit back and enjoy the ride all that much more without worrying about hurrying down to a clean window (or an open vestibule - Shhh - don't tell anyone!) to get a duplicate of pictures I already have.

I can think of no higher compliment (though there are perhaps some equals) than to hear that my trip reports inspired any of my readers to follow in my footsteps, be it along the dusty roads of the American West or the silver rails of our national network. Thank you again for that, FlyingFinn, and I do wish you many future great adventures, be they here in the U.S. or elsewhere on the planet. ^

Originally Posted by lamphs
Two evenings of dinner time reading...PLANES, TRAINS, AND AUTOMOBILES (AND A SHIP)...you covered it all. And thanks for this! You need to at least reach 200 airlines before you stop writing these reports! I have used your reports as references several times. And this now encourages me to attempt additional train travel in SE Asia (I already did KUL to Penang about 4 years ago and I understand that service improved tremendously in 2015.
Thanks so much for these kind words, lamphs! I'd like to think I'll notch my 200th airline flown within the year, though another interesting milestone coming up sooner that might be worthy of a report would be my 2000th flight on a 737. Additionally I'm getting very close to logging my 2 millionth mile aboard a 737.

Finally, please feel free to PM me about any trip reports you've submitted. I'm not a regular at the Trip Report forum (I'm more written word than photo oriented) but honestly - any of you willing to put in the time to read my reports, I'd certainly like to reciprocate in kind. Happy travels! ^

Originally Posted by Mats
So beautiful. The photos of the inside passage and Prince of Wales Island were inspiring. I enjoyed every word.
Thank you, Mats! Every once in a while there's a fare sale between Tucson and Seattle. There are some great boat rides up there - even the shorter ones like the Washington State Ferries cruise from Anacortes through the San Juan Islands over to Victoria Island. Also, Tucson is a lot closer than Tel Aviv. I'll give a heads up should I ever pass through southern Arizona.

Originally Posted by transportprof
Kudos on another engaging chronicle of a memorable journey. As somebody who enjoys both flying and train travel almost as much as you obviously do, I found myself transported to some intriguing places over the (Canadian) Thanksgiving weekend. Please do keep them coming. Even though Aussie trip reports are quite plentiful on FT, I know that you would bring an entirely fresh and delightful perspective to chronicling a journey down under. I've spent a lot more time in Australia than Alaska, but I see plenty of similarities between the two cultures, and I would love to read your insights into such a comparison.
Thanks, TP! I actually got a start on that Aussie adventure with plenty of notes and pictures. I just might cobble together a trip report in the next six months or so.

Originally Posted by Life in Coach
Spectacular trip report Seat 2A! Thanks for sharing your journey with us. Keep 'em coming!
Thanks, LIC! I'm glad you enjoyed it and I hope we'll see more of you up in First Class ^^
Old Oct 11, 2018, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by bodory
One of the best trip (and report) I have read! Many thanks for sharing that.
Thank you, bodory. I hope to publish a couple more before I'm done here!

Originally Posted by stu1985
Another excellent report from you Seat 2A. Coming to the end of it, I felt like you did on that long haul flight - I wasn't quite sure where the couple of hours I spent reading it went! Most enjoyable. The scenery you took in on the train looks spectacular. Thanks for the time it must have taken you to put this together.
You're most welcome, stu! Quality long distance train travel is hard to find outside of the U.S., Canada and Australia. However, the cost of enjoying quality accommodations while on a train is at least one half to two thirds less expensive here in the U.S.. As a member of the National Railroad Passenger Association and a fan of train travel everywhere, I could not be happier to hear that my trip reports might have inspired any of you to take a long ride on a train. As my pictures reflect, scenery is a huge part of the overall experience - all lost from the comparatively sterile environs of an airplane at 38000 above the land.

Originally Posted by MikeFly
Ok, just finished reading this excellent trip report. I have been to many of the same places, but now see them in a different light based on your words. Thank you! Now to find out if I still have a job after reading this in one go
Hey Mike! Thanks for the props! I too hope you still have a job, but if not, why not take a vacation with your newfound free time?

Originally Posted by maverick17
Great report, thanks for sharing. Read a lot of your reports, but don't often comment. But I also took the train from Bangkok to Nong Khai about 15 years ago, then proceeded up to Vientiane on what might have been that same old clunky train. The pic sure looks the same as I remember. Good memories. Thanks for that, and for all the details.
Thanks, mav! Pretty cool that we both rode the same trains 15 years apart. Based on what I saw of the old Thai sleepers in the yards at Bangkok, your journey must've been considerably more austere. These days you can have that First Class Thai Sleeper to Nong Khai with single occupancy add-on for bout $85.00 USD. I look forward to a return (and longer) visit to Laos. Great country and people!

Originally Posted by tennislover9
Thank you very much as always for your detailed reports and contribution to these forums. You inspire the next generation of adventurers to traverse the roads, rails and skies.
Thanks, TL9! As a guy who's logged 5.4 million miles on 197 airlines, I sure do have a lot of appreciation for land-based travel. I wish FT had been around back in the 1970s because I could have submitted some great reports from my travels hitch-hiking around the West. Not quite the style most people would be comfortable with but I met some great people and had some good times!

Originally Posted by lb8001
I think you’ve outdone yourself, Seat2A - and you’re a tough guy to outdo! Thanks as always for taking the time to write these very fun reports. They never disappoint.
Thank you, lb8001! And to think this all started out as a simple train trip across America...

Originally Posted by deovrat
I have absolutely loved every word of the prose written by you; and though I wouldn't undertake some of the journeys you had, it was a singular pleasure reading your report for 3-4 blissful hours. Please do more of these (I don't remember seeing any report the Australia trip you mention with Qantas First SYD-DFW), may you have a stronger back to support more of such trips and thank you again.
Thank you, deovrat! To strengthen up that back for future travels, I really ought to stay home and hit the gym - something I'm hoping to do more of this winter. As it is however, the rest of October sees me leaving Colorado tonight for the Oregon Coast, then back to Alaska for a day before turning around and heading across country to New York for a day. Then it's back to Alaska for five days and off to Austin, Texas the long way. And don't even get me started about November! But hey - thanks for your thoughtful prose yourself! Kind words such as yours certainly serve to validate the time and effort I put into these reports. ^
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Thank you Seat 2A. Reading your report made me forget about the big bad world and instead dream of future travels and friendly people!
Old Oct 11, 2018, 5:06 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles, Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, WorldPerks
As always, a wonderful report! Thanks.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Thanks for the shout out. I always enjoy your reports. I am glad to have met up for a brief coffee and pastry on your stopover. I would always be up for meeting anytime you come through town.

Last edited by HawaiiTrvlr; Oct 12, 2018 at 7:16 am
Old Oct 12, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Thanks for the excellent report. I love the way you write and hope we get many more reports from you in the future.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, HHonors Diamond,
Wow! This makes me feel bad that I didn't take more pictures when I did my British Air First trip this summer. I thought I would look like a geeked out first class newbie (Yes I am), but I definitely enjoyed the lounge experience at JFK! I blew it in Heathrow, going to the wrong lounge. On the return I had one of those "short" layovers where I barely had time go through security, get my VAT refund and get to the gate. 1 1/2 hours is not enough time!

Now I need to hoard miles so I can do a long first flight. JFK to LHR is too short!
Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Thank you for another wonderful report, Seat 2A! It's been a good while since I've visited FlyerTalk, and I through the roof to another one of your reports. You've inspired me to finish up the one trip report I had outstanding and just maybe crank out another. I might even pull a Seat 2A and not submit until it's finished!
Old Oct 13, 2018, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tsastor
Thank you Seat 2A. Reading your report made me forget about the big bad world and instead dream of future travels and friendly people!
Good to hear, tsastor. The dreaming and planning stages of trips like this are almost as much fun as the trips themselves. Good luck planning a great one!

Originally Posted by ss278
As always, a wonderful report! Thanks.
Thanks! Good to hear from you, 278. Hope all's well in SLC ^

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
Thanks for the shout out. I always enjoy your reports. I am glad to have met up for a brief coffee and pastry on your stopover. I would always be up for meeting anytime you come through town.
Thanks, HT! If you're up for it, perhaps we might manage a get together at the Punch Bowl Social on the afternoon of December 1st (Saturday) I've got to fly out that evening, so the Punch Bowl would be really convenient. I'm surprised Denver based FTers haven't used that place for a "Do" of some sort but then there don't seem to be many - if any - of them. In any event, drop me a PM and we'll set it up.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Oct 13, 2018 at 2:45 pm
Old Oct 13, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
[QUOTE=Seat 2A;30311974] Thanks, HT! If you're up for it, perhaps we might manage a get together at the Punch Bowl Social on the afternoon of December 1st (Saturday) I've got to fly out that evening, so the Punch Bowl would be really convenient. QUOTE]

Absolutely. I look forward to it.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
What a superb trip report.

I have followed your reports for a number of years, enjoying your style of writing and imagining you as a wanderign spirit -- that may be completely untrue but it is the image that I have in my mind from many of your reports. I especially love when you recount some of your stories from jetting around the US in the 70s and 80s, my how it was so much more glamorous in those days !!

Greetings an dbest wishes from 51 degrees north in the UK
Old Oct 14, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Diamond Ambassador, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold, Hilton Gold
I have really enjoyed reading your month of travels over the last few days. The mix of old and new adds a lot of depth and an almost documentary feel to the report that is often missing on many TRs. Added to that some epic train journeys which I always love to read about and then to cap it all off the beautiful shots from the boat - sometimes the image says more than the words, sometimes the words make for beautiful images. The joy of this report is that you have a great habit of knowing when to use words and when to use images. Can't wait to read about your next adventure.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by avneeshj
Thanks for the excellent report. I love the way you write and hope we get many more reports from you in the future.
Thanks, avneeshj! I don't know if you'll get "many more" reports, but I'd like to think I'm good for at least another 3-5. Beyond that, we'll see...

Originally Posted by ppwchess
Wow! This makes me feel bad that I didn't take more pictures when I did my British Air First trip this summer. I thought I would look like a geeked out first class newbie (Yes I am), but I definitely enjoyed the lounge experience at JFK! I blew it in Heathrow, going to the wrong lounge. On the return I had one of those "short" layovers where I barely had time go through security, get my VAT refund and get to the gate. 1 1/2 hours is not enough time!
Now I need to hoard miles so I can do a long first flight. JFK to LHR is too short!
When it comes to photographs, I'm a big believer in quality over quantity. You want to talk "geeked out First Class newbie", go and take 80 or so pictures of your flight, and then publish them all in a trip report. To be sure there are people here who appreciate that style, but it more than anything else is what has driven me away from regularly perusing the trip report forum. That said, I hope you do manage a good long international First Class flight (or three) sooner rather than later. I'm sure you'll appreciate the more leisurely ambiance as opposed to those eastbound US to Europe sectors which barely give you time to enjoy a nice meal and catch a quick cat nap. Good luck and happy contrails!

Originally Posted by dat4life
Thank you for another wonderful report, Seat 2A! It's been a good while since I've visited FlyerTalk, and I was through the roof to see another one of your reports. You've inspired me to finish up the one trip report I had outstanding and just maybe crank out another. I might even pull a Seat 2A and not submit until it's finished!
Thanks, dat! You don't waste any time as I see you've just posted a new report. I'll be sure to pop over and have a look!

Originally Posted by pdsuk
What a superb trip report. I have followed your reports for a number of years, enjoying your style of writing and imagining you as a wandering spirit -- that may be completely untrue but it is the image that I have in my mind from many of your reports. I especially love when you recount some of your stories from jetting around the US in the 70s and 80s, my how it was so much more glamorous in those days !!
Thanks, PD! I've always had a wandering spirit from my earliest childhood, and I'm thankful that I grew up in an era when flying was still special enough that we all dressed up for the experience. The service was truly special as was the ambiance given that we were all dressed for the part as opposed to these days when even international First Class sees people wearing track suits, shorts, t-shirts and the like. Times have indeed changed.Thankfully, I've had the good fortune to be able to make most of my dreams come true, as well as the platform to write about many of them here at the Trip Report forum. Add to that an appreciative audience (Friends and family are all way too pragmatic to appreciate anything but the destinations. My writings about getting there in style are of no interest to them) and my total travel package has been pretty darned nice. One dream that still keeps me up and scheming during the day is planning a visit to the Seychelles Islands and the Marquesas Islands. Someday... (Although I sometimes wish I were 40 years older so I could have flown to the Seychelles in First Class aboard a VC10)

Originally Posted by Spymon
I have really enjoyed reading your month of travels over the last few days. The mix of old and new adds a lot of depth and an almost documentary feel to the report that is often missing on many TRs. Added to that some epic train journeys which I always love to read about and then to cap it all off the beautiful shots from the boat - sometimes the image says more than the words, sometimes the words make for beautiful images. The joy of this report is that you have a great habit of knowing when to use words and when to use images. Can't wait to read about your next adventure.
The mix of verbiage and pictures is important to me, especially the use of pictures as a spice rather than the main course. I am honored that my style of reporting is worthy of commentary as elegantly composed and sincere as yours. Thank you, Spymon. ^
Old Oct 14, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
GLORIOUS! Every single one of the 57k words! Thank you so much for taking the time to document such a fantastic journey.

I especially enjoyed the fact that you were able to catch Mt. Shasta this time from the Coast Starlight. I grew up in Redding and spent many winters skiing and summers camping on that beautiful mountain.

My mother passed away in 1991 from cancer and her request was to be cremated and her ashes spread there. My father followed her in 2008 with the same request and seeing that mountain again brought all those memories back, which while sad in context, are also filled with such joy and incredible thoughts of them both, so thank you for that.

Personally, I won't rest until you've chronicled that 200th airline, so please don't stop.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.