Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Long Way to Auckland, on China Airlines' A350

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Most likely an mistake - often happens when Australia/New Zealand are between Daylight Savings and non Daylight Savings
I think you are correct. I did some digging, last summer, the AKL-BNE departed at 1930, after being on ground in AKL since 1800, 1.5 hrs turn around. That put the BNE connection to TPE at 1.5 hours as well. Makes sense.

This spring they have the BNE-AKL inbound operating at same time, but AKL-BNE departing at 2030, which leaves 2.5 hours in AKL the only 30 mins in BNE before BNE-TPE. Doesn't make any sense. My guess is that I will get a schedule change notification of AKL-BNE moving its departure time from 2030 to 1930 at some point in next few months when they realize their mistake. Good to know since I am flying into AKL from CHC on a different ticket. I will plan now for the earlier departure time I know is coming...
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:00 pm

The lifesaver of our two 18-hour layovers in TPE turned out to be a lounge not run by China Airlines, but instead the Plaza Premium group, who in Terminal 2 have private rooms with beds and full bathrooms. You do have to pay extra for them, but as we were fighting both jet lag and the brutal one-two punch of Taipei's heat and humidity we deemed the indulgence worth it—in fact, we didn't even bother leaving the airport on our way back through to Vancouver. That we've got a separate Taiwan tour planned for January helped with that decision.
For anyone else planning this trip, CI has a fairly liberal STPC policy on all Business Class tickets issued on CI ticket stock. On an 18 hour layover, they allow you a 6 hour time slot room (Day Bed) at their TPE Novotel for free or the full time for EUR 84. Saves a few bucks on the Plaza Premium lounge. Or you can opt for the Pleasant Hotel offsite for free for all 18 hours. Beware on Pleasant Hotel, marginal reviews and is a 30 min shuttle bus ride away.

For my trip in April, I have the Novotel booked for the 6 hours on CI's dime when I arrive. (I fly CI on TPE-AMS 18 hours later, departing around midnight). Will fly AKL-BNE-TPE check into Novotel for 6 hours to rest. Then will spend next 8-10 hours in Taipei before taking highspeed back to TPE for midnight flight. I post a trip report when I'm back.

One more data point for anyone searching for STPC options on CI. The first part of my trip is CDG-TPE then TPE-BNE-AKL. Although there is a natural connection in TPE at 14 hours, there was no D class seats (what I needed for the cheaper fare) on the natural connection to TPE-AKL flight. The fare allowed for a free TPE stopover, so I took the 38 hour connection to see some of Taiwan. STPC generally only applies if connection is less that 24 hours and you depart on next connecting flight. Since the business class fare wasn't available on the "next connecting flight" I called up CI and asked about STPC in TPE. They really operate in the 1970's when it comes to ticket offices. I am in Canada, but bought the ticket on the CI website. Since my departure airport was CDG, the website issued the ticket out of CI's AMS ticket office. When I called CI's Canada number (which just routes to the LAX call center) I was told I would have to ask about the STPC from the Amsterdam Ticket office since they issued the ticket. This seems assinine...its 2018. Anyhow, I called AMS and explained the connection. They were unable to make an exception on the free STPC regardless of fare bucket being sold out (as I expected) but informed me that on a TPE stopover in J/C/D they will still book you into the Novotel for EUR84 all in. This is an incredible deal considering it includes free buffet breakfast and runs EUR 143 + tax online!

Last edited by Utskicat; Nov 4, 2018 at 9:16 pm Reason: wrong quote
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC, AMEX, BA, WS
Originally Posted by Utskicat
For anyone else planning this trip, CI has a fairly liberal STPC policy on all Business Class tickets issued on CI ticket stock. On an 18 hour layover, they allow you a 6 hour time slot room (Day Bed) at their TPE Novotel for free or the full time for EUR 84. Saves a few bucks on the Plaza Premium lounge.
Oh wow, did not know that! The one big advantage of PP is that it's right in the terminal on the departures level. For Novotel you'll have to actually exit immigration—then take a shuttle, I guess? Depending on what time of day you land, immigration could take a while...
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by Utskicat
I think you are correct. I did some digging, last summer, the AKL-BNE departed at 1930, after being on ground in AKL since 1800, 1.5 hrs turn around. That put the BNE connection to TPE at 1.5 hours as well. Makes sense.

This spring they have the BNE-AKL inbound operating at same time, but AKL-BNE departing at 2030, which leaves 2.5 hours in AKL the only 30 mins in BNE before BNE-TPE. Doesn't make any sense. My guess is that I will get a schedule change notification of AKL-BNE moving its departure time from 2030 to 1930 at some point in next few months when they realize their mistake. Good to know since I am flying into AKL from CHC on a different ticket. I will plan now for the earlier departure time I know is coming...
I was correct! Just got the schedule change email notice that the Auckland departure is exactly an hour earlier now.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by acurrie

Am I the only Canadian that gets all uppity when "United States" and "Canada" lead to the same page?
Must be how the Taiwanese feel
Giving In to China, US Airlines Drop Taiwan (in Name at Least)
acurrie likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.