Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

More crazy mileage running back to Cairo via AC, AA, BA, Alitalia and Cathay First

More crazy mileage running back to Cairo via AC, AA, BA, Alitalia and Cathay First

Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some

Indeed and Mrs. SFO777 agrees with you. [/QUOTE]
Why I'm not surprised😉
Old Sep 16, 2018, 3:17 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Originally Posted by milfweed20
Great to see you posting TR again SFO777, you've been dearly missed! Now you just have to bring back JohnRain and the A team of TR will be reunited again!
And Eightblack!!!
Old Sep 16, 2018, 4:54 am

Awesome to see another SFO777 adventure.

Hoped you enjoyed Red Sparrow with the New Zealand sauvignon blanc, a great pairing!
Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: TP Gold, *G Star Alliance
Originally Posted by roadwarrier
And Eightblack!!!
You are absolutely right roadwarrier!

Eightblack is also a legend!
Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, IHG Gold, HH Silver
A great continuation of your report. I am surprised why BA has not upgraded their Club World cabin after so many negative reviews of how cramped and odd the seating style is. No other airline to my knowledge has this type of config and it just seems bizarre!

Looking forward to the rest of your report!
Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Thankfully, AA Wifi was working as I remembered that I hadn't booked a hotel for my 9 hour overnight I didn’t want to do the hotel shuttle bus thing since they don’t really exist at Heathrow. I decided to try to find something similar to the T4 Hilton without having to go outside. The new-ish T4 Premier Inn was available and at a reasonable last minute price of Ł76. And adjacent to the Hilton and accessible direclty from T4, albeit the same long walk. Not much of a line at Passport control and I was at the arrivals level pretty quickly. Just follow the blue signs.

Push the Green Button for your free ticket.

And the trek to the T4 elevators.

Up the departures level with counters on the left.

And the Hotel doorway on the right.

And we walk...

... and walk...

... and walk...

Left for the Premier Inn, right for the Hilton.

And we walk...

... and walk...

... and walk...

... and walk...

... and walk...

And finally...

For a budget hotel, very cool high tech lobby where you basically check yourself in, by simply typig in your last name.

My room #668. Small and basic, but clean, quiet and comfortable.

Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

With a 7:10am flight this morning and not certain of transit times between T4 and T5, I left my room just before 5am. And reversed my walk from last night...

To the bank of elevators down to the train. Except that that button for that level didn't work. As I found out later, since the first train doesn't depart until 5:10am or so, the train level is locked until just before that time.

And we walk...

Same old train as last night to Express Central where you connect to the nicer Heathrow Express to T5.

And up to the T5 departure level.

After another long walk to the opposite side the T5, First Class check-in. As a One World Emerald (AA and BA), I can use First Class check in and lounges on any ticket, even my cheapo Basic Economy to Glasgow.

After a quick visit to First security, the corridor leads to the BA Galleries First Lounge.

Time for a little breakfast.

... out on the terrace.

Yeah, your typical lovely weather London morning. LOL.

Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The only reason for this quick trip to Glasgow was log two extra BA flights to meet the annual 4 BA flight requirement for BA Gold. I'll accumulate most of my Tier Points on other better One World airlines. The Gate was posted at T-50 and I left the lounge 5 minutes later for the short walk to nearby Gate A9.

London LHR to Glasgow GLA
BA 1472
A320
7:10am-8:35am
September 12, 2018
Economy Exit Row aisle 12D

Boarding started at around T-35. As BA Gold, I was in Group 1 and able to board in the first group.

BA's fake Business Class seating. Economy seat and legroom with an open middle.

And the Economy cabin with exactly the same seat and legroom...

... except for exit row 11 and my row 12...

Unlike most of the "full service...LOL" airlines in the world, nothing is free, not even water. Not that I was hungry, but BA's BOB menu with lots of pretty pics which no doubt don't come close to looking like this in the real world.

With a flying time of 60 minutes, we arrived in Glasgow ontime and to much nicer sunny conditions.

Since BA won't sell a return flight with less than 60 minutes connect time, I headed for the BA Lounge to wait for the next Heathow flight.

The GLA Lounge is small but quite attractive.

At around T-35, I head back to the BA gates for my return to LHR.

Lots of Priortity pax in line this morning. Another day, another evil eye stare back.

Glasgow GLA to London LHR
BA 1479
A321
10:40am-12:10pm
September 12, 2018
Economy Exit Row aisle 9D

The A321 means loads of legroom in my row 9.

Back at LHR at the single digit A gates, a nice walk back to the First Class Lounge.

And the lunch spread.

A bite to eat before spending the afternoon catching up on work before I go Wifi-free for the night.

Yeah, I think I'll pass on the BA Gin.

Last edited by SFO777; Sep 22, 2018 at 11:44 pm
Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAL250
Another world class trip report from the best in the business! Can't wait to see the rest of the trip report.
Reading on your website, I am floored at the BA J cabin layout. Who in the world said "Yep, this will be great."? LOL. I would never fly that product unless it was a tremendous deal.
Thanks so much UAL250. I appreciate the kind comments. Yeah, I don't get the BA J cabin layout either. But BA makes a ton of money, so what do I know?

Originally Posted by MikeFly
Thank goodness you posted a trip report - I was researching the FT T&C's to figure out how to do a wellness check! Also, those 100+ views from the same IP on your website - that was me checking in case I missed something!
Looking forward to the rest!
LOL. Thank you MikeFly.

Originally Posted by DanielW
Awesome to see another SFO777 adventure.
Hoped you enjoyed Red Sparrow with the New Zealand sauvignon blanc, a great pairing!
Thanks very much DanielW. Enjoyed the wine and the movie. I think I've seen it 4 times now.

Originally Posted by 757
A great continuation of your report. I am surprised why BA has not upgraded their Club World cabin after so many negative reviews of how cramped and odd the seating style is. No other airline to my knowledge has this type of config and it just seems bizarre! Looking forward to the rest of your report!
Thank you 757. As long as people keep buying tickets, I guess they see no need to improve. Same deal with their sub-par First Class.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:06 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
I hope you enjoyed your brief visit to Scotland!
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
nice report thank you.

LHR's fascination for not providing bus shuttle service to hotels is amazing. For the price they paid for constructing that tunnel could have provided years worth of shuttle service.

Was LHR it's usual 80 degrees inside?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Great TR SFO777 - I love your West Coast twist on what us British folks see many days on BA! Next time though go for a trip to LBA rather than GLA
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:49 am

How was the original ex-CAI fare structured: meaning did you mix alliances (outbound OW and return on ST)?
Old Sep 18, 2018, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nequine
I hope you enjoyed your brief visit to Scotland!
Not sure how much of Scotland I saw though.
I have to spend a lot more time next time.

Originally Posted by enviroian
nice report thank you. LHR's fascination for not providing bus shuttle service to hotels is amazing. For the price they paid for constructing that tunnel could have provided years worth of shuttle service.
Was LHR it's usual 80 degrees inside?
Thanks enviroian. Indeed, that elevated tunnel must have cost a bloody fortune. And of course, the terminal was nice and toasty warm.

Originally Posted by our_kid
Great TR SFO777 - I love your West Coast twist on what us British folks see many days on BA! Next time though go for a trip to LBA rather than GLA

Thanks so much our_kid. Yeah, not sure I could handle much more BA. At least I don't need to fly them for at least another 12 months.
Hadn't thought of LBA. Will definitely think about it next year. Is there a BA Lounge at LBA?

Originally Posted by CHSDOC
How was the original ex-CAI fare structured: meaning did you mix alliances (outbound OW and return on ST)?
Two separate tickets. LHR-CAI was the last leg of my $1,700 CAI-Honolulu ticket which included:

• CAI-LHR - BA Business
• LHR-JFK - AA Business
• JFK-LAX - AA transcon First
stop
• LAX-HNL - AA First
• HNL-LAX - AA First
stop
• LAX-JFK - AA transcon First
stop and end of EC year
• JFK-LHR - AA Business (BA codeshare)
• LHR-CAI - BA Business

I made one date change along the way and there was a nominal change fee.

The CAI-FCO-LAX Alitalia ticket was the outbound of another cheap roundtrip. It earned 53 XP points, more than half way to the magic 100 XP points for Flying Blue Silver.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

British Airways 787 Club World to Cairo

At T-60 or so, I headed downstairs to another convenient departure gate, A18 which is the closest possible gate to the Lounges.

London LHR to Cairo CAI
British Airways BA 155
787-800
5:15pm-11:00pm
September 12, 2018
Business Class 3K

And finally, off to Cairo on the last leg of my pretty amazing Cairo-Honolulu roundtrip. Unfortunately, today on a BA 788. It may be a newish plane, but it's the same old BA Business Club cabin configuration and seats... one of the worst in the skies. But at less than $200, hard to beat.

Ugh...

And one of the dumbest seating arrangements ever. Yeah, let's stare right at your neighbor.

Today's menu...

The BA Club World amenity kit...

Lovely. LOL.

Despite the awful hard product, service was excellent today, notably from our wonderful forward cabin FA Mohammed.

Showtime, BA Club World style.

My smoked salmon starter was very nice. Loch Fyne smoked salmon with truffle yuzu dressing and avocado.

For my main, the Grilled chicken supreme with handmade potato gnocchi, rosemary cream sauce and ratatouille.

Delicious.

Once again, the BA soft product was excellent. But the BA hard product is just plain awful and not enough to make me want to willingly fly BA... except at a very cheap price.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.