Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

A trip through Middle Earth (AKL, WLG, ZQN, CHC on NZ and SQ)

A trip through Middle Earth (AKL, WLG, ZQN, CHC on NZ and SQ)

Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Peppered Gravadlax salad to start. It was nothing fanciful, but tasted fresh. I am generally not a huge fan of fish-type starters.

For main, I selected the Seared Fillet of Beef with Garlic Mustard Butter. It was skilfully prepared still with pink in the middle, as good as how inflight steaks could be.

My friend chose the Grilled Pork Fillet with Chorizo Crumbs and Apple Jus. According to him, it was way to salty for his liking.

For dessert, I had the Affogato ice-cream with Granola. It was pretty good.

On the other hand, the Pavlova with Passion Fruit and Mango Compote way too sweet! And I have a sweet tooth....

Cheeses and fruit served, where I had a selection of cheeses and a melon.

Ending with an Earl Grey tea and some pralines. A bottle of water was also distributed to each of us.

Flipped the seat over and converted it into a bed after the meal.

Old Sep 23, 2018, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Time for movie in bed.

After finishing the movie, we were somewhere above the Australian desert.

And starting on the second movie.

Feeling peckish mid-flight, we had Oriental noodles, chocolates, muffin and chips.

Third movie.

About 2hrs prior to landing, dinner was served. Again, the table was set up and starter delivered, along with breads. The Barbequed Prawns starter was pretty good.

For the main, there was a hiccup as my originally ordered Salmon ran out due to, as the crew very apologetically explained, inaccurate numbers uplifted versus as stated in their catering list. I then went for the Wokfried Chicken in Dried Red Chilli and Kuay Teow. It was flavourful, but too spicy, even for my Asian tongue. Surprising, since the dish was catered from Christchurch, where normally spices would be toned down from non-Asian countries.

My friend had the Mongolian-style Lamb Loin with steamed rice. This was a rather good dish.

Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:12 am
Original Poster

The Blueberry Roulade dessert was a nice ending to the light dinner.

With a cup of jasmine green tea to clean the palate.

Approaching Singapore and started our descent. We managed to make up some time enroute and only arrived half hour behind schedule.

Landing into Rwy20R.

A short taxi to Terminal 3 and parked at A20.

View of my seat before disembarking.

Thanks for the flight, 9V-SVC.

It was a comfortable ride on the classic B772ER on the long-haul. Service was pretty good as expected on SQ, food was acceptable, IFE selection on this re-retrofitted aircraft was as good as on the newer aircraft, and overall a very comfortable flight. With only 5 (or less soon) B772ERs in SQ's fleet, it would be harder to get a chance to fly on these classic workhorses, though I am also looking forward to try out the new products on the 787-10s and new A380s in the SQ fleet,

Thanks for reading this long report and your comments are very welcomed!
standch and BlackSkyuk like this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Thanks for a very enjoyable trip down memory lane after our fantastic trip to NZ.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Great report and photos. Looks like you had a great trip! I went to New Zealand with my parents back in 1993, but I don't remember much of this trip anymore, and so would love to go again.

Your breakfast at the Holiday Inn at the Auckland airport looks amazing and better than any Holiday Inn breakfast here in the US!

Thanks for sharing.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I would say the whole Holiday Inn is above average.
Catweazle likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:24 am

Programs: QF, HH
Isn't NZ just grand; looks like you had a real hoot!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.