Reload this Page >

A Trip to Nigeria

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Trip to Nigeria

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:11 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Thanks for your time making the Trip Report and sharing the fascinating pictures.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fotographer
what a great report, it seems like you had quite a bit of down time, but still at least you were able to get a nice feel for the country and its poeple
We did indeed have a lot of down time. Very atypical for my travels, but when someone else is 'in charge' of you, there's not much that can be done. Either way, I enjoyed my time there. I'm just finishing up my week long trip to the Caucuses, which there was nearly 0 down time.

Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
Great report.

I worked in Lagos for six months in 1985, I've never been back but much of it doesn't seem to have changed. The pictures of LOS are exactly as I remember it and I can certainly remember being asked to 'help out' the security staff who you encountered passing through. My relief arriving intact at the BCal gate with the sign of the lion rampant above it usually brought on enough sense of relief to bring tears to my eyes. It's not somewhere I will ever go back to.
I can certainly understand that sense of joy once you get to the gate, I have no doubt I would've felt the same way if I had visited Nigeria by myself with no assistance. I'm not sure I'll go back in the near future unless I get back with Fred and drive along West Africa as we had discussed.

Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
Thanks for your time making the Trip Report and sharing the fascinating pictures.
Thanks!
Old Sep 9, 2018, 4:06 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Thanks for the interesting and detailed report. It's nice to see some on-the-ground reporting from Africa.

I see that the Chapman is as omnipresent as I thought
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flatlander
Thanks for the interesting and detailed report. It's nice to see some on-the-ground reporting from Africa.

I see that the Chapman is as omnipresent as I thought
The Chapman was indeed a hallmark of every meal while in Nigeria. Thanks.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 8:14 am

An excellent trip report. I worked in Nigeria (VI Lagos, Eket Akwa Ibom State, Abuja) 6 years and never saw most the things you have shown - guess I needed better hosts. I am always asked to return by my Nigerian friends I keep in contact with but the VISA process is a hassle. Agree with the pepper soup - it is very good as is the ram suya grilled down at Bar Beach in VI. Funny thing with Nigerian Customs in LOS which was a few people outside baggage stopping random people - The Nigerians at the time loved unlocked Nokia and Blackberry phones which I could get used cheaply in the US so I would bring 100 at a time wrapped in bricks of 10 back with me on my 4-5 annual return trips to the US. Was only stopped once and a 1000 naira later I was on my way.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 11:24 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Enjoyed reading your trip report. The best parts are the abandoned airplanes at the airport. I wish you posted more pictures of them
Those airplanes would be the main reason for me to visit Nigeria
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nawlins
An excellent trip report. I worked in Nigeria (VI Lagos, Eket Akwa Ibom State, Abuja) 6 years and never saw most the things you have shown - guess I needed better hosts. I am always asked to return by my Nigerian friends I keep in contact with but the VISA process is a hassle. Agree with the pepper soup - it is very good as is the ram suya grilled down at Bar Beach in VI. Funny thing with Nigerian Customs in LOS which was a few people outside baggage stopping random people - The Nigerians at the time loved unlocked Nokia and Blackberry phones which I could get used cheaply in the US so I would bring 100 at a time wrapped in bricks of 10 back with me on my 4-5 annual return trips to the US. Was only stopped once and a 1000 naira later I was on my way.
Sounds like a great way to make some extra spending money! Luckily I had contacts in Nigeria that arranged me a business visa on arrival (lol) so it was painless.

Originally Posted by bwiadca
Enjoyed reading your trip report. The best parts are the abandoned airplanes at the airport. I wish you posted more pictures of them
Those airplanes would be the main reason for me to visit Nigeria
Thanks. I tried getting Fred to take us to the planes, but the road was blocked as I guess it's an airport access road, so the tarmac view was as close as we were going to get.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 10:44 pm

Thanks for an interesting TR complete with great photos.

However, it really reminds why I never let other people plan a trip for me.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
On my list of places to go! Thanks for the trip report!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.