Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines' Last Week In Lewiston - Horizon Air Dash 8 Q400

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2018, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Alaska Airlines' Last Week In Lewiston - Horizon Air Dash 8 Q400

Alaska Airlines Leaving Lewiston, Idaho

So, I went to Lewiston, Idaho earlier this week because Alaska Airlines will end all services to and from Lewiston today (August 25, 2018) after serving this city for the past twenty something years. It began service to Lewiston in 1983 with services to Boise, Seattle, and Spokane. Up till today, Alaska Airlines has served twice daily between Seattle and Lewiston, and once daily between Boise and Lewiston. It used to have a third daily redeye flight to Seattle but that flight has been shifted to Pullman, another Central Idaho city an hour away from Lewiston. Although the load factor on my two flights were hardly conclusive (especially towards last week of service), I can’t help to feel that if a smaller regional prop like ATR-42 & Dash 8 300 will perhaps work better. I can’t do the “final” flight because I have to be in NYC this weekend, but I made sure that I did both the Boise to Lewiston and Seattle to Lewiston flights. I really don’t have much to say about the service except both flights offered a beverage. I guess a 20-30 passengers count and good weather did not give them any excuse. From Boise to Lewiston, it is a 40 something minutes flight, which features an express beverage service including assorted juices, water, free beer and red wine. From Lewiston to Seattle, it features a full beverage service featuring complimentary beer and wine: Pyramid Outburst Berry Tart IPA, & Sageland Cabernet Sauvignon Columbia Valley.

Anyway, I will let my photos do most of the talking.

Full photo album:
AlaskaLewistonFarewell2018 by Carfield76 Photobucket

August 22, 2018
AS 2140 Boise to Lewiston Lv2121 Arr2116 Dash 8 Q400 N429QX

Boise Air Terminal is actually a pretty nice regional airport to transit through. I arrived early from Portland and the terminal was fairly quiet. N429QX arrived on time from Seattle, so everything went pretty on time.

Boarding began at 9:02pm and ten minutes later, door was closed. The loading is relatively low and the middle section was left empty for performance issue.

We took off from R/W10L at 9:26pm. Flying time was forty-five minutes and we cruised at 24,000ft.

Beverage – I had the Sageland’s cabernet sauvignon.

We landed at R/W26 at 9:11pm, and parked at spot #1 five minutes later.

Alaska’s Lewiston Welcome sign

August 23, 2018
AS 2031 Lewiston to Seattle/Tacoma Lv1130 Arr1250 Dash 8 Q400 N452QX (New Livery)

I arrived the airport around 10am, and it was indeed a nice regional airport. There were a few other businesses inside the airport building including a gallery and couple travel agencies.

Check-in area – Alaska

Even self-check-in kiosks

Departure Board for all Alaska Airlines flight

For some reasons, this morning’s Seattle to Lewiston flight was cancelled, but our return was cancelled. N452QX with its Spokane-based crews flew directly from Spokane to Lewiston with no passenger, instead of working the morning Spokane to Seattle and Seattle to Lewiston segments. The plane was already here when I arrived around 10:15am.

Check in was simple and the staffs were cheerful.

Gate room
Delta uses Gate 1 and Horizon uses Gate 2.

Small gate room

Boarding began at 11:02am and with only 23 passengers, boarding was completed soon. However, due to ATC restriction, we were told to stay here longer. The ground staffs were informed that they should not close up till 11:25am.

Cabin shot

The staffs were waving goodbye as we taxied out.

We still had to hold at the threshold of R/W26 a bit longer, and the SkyWest/Delta Connection CRJ-200 arrived from Salt Lake City around 11:32pm.

We finally took off at 11:39am for our fifty-eight minutes flight. We cruised at 24,000 feet.

Beverage service – Coke Zero and biscoff cookies

Descent soon began at 12:12pm.

Passing Boeing Field

We landed on R/W16R at 12:37pm.

We parked at Spot Q7 eleven minutes later.

It was not a colorful report at all, and yes, I missed all the local snacks that Horizon Air had served in the past – Chips and Salsa, or Tim Cascade’s Potato chips, but at least we still get some complimentary items.

But I hope you will at least enjoy this little tribute to Alaska Airlines’ 25 years of service at Lewiston, ID!

One last time

Carfield

PS. Alaska Airlines… I really think it is a bit mean not to even put Lewiston in your destinations’ map in the August edition of your inflight magazine. Given the service ends at August 25 and isn’t it a bit early to cut out Lewiston from your map?
Zeeb likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Thanks for the report. Just an FYI, Pullman is in Washington.

Sad to see LWS ending on AS. Unfortunately it is the latest casualty of small PNW cities that once had Alaska (Horizon) service (PDT, OTH, LMT, CLM, among others).
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:11 pm

I recently went through BOI, state #43 for me; it was very different to see various AS fleet, something not seen in the WAS area. I'd love the opportunity to fly in a Dash 8. (Only one ATR for me - CHC to ZQN.) Nice report!
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Funny little airport.....
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
This brings me back to when I lived in the area... did they retire the Turbo Prop with the "bench" seat in the back row? used to love flying in that seat to SeaTac!
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by steveo
This brings me back to when I lived in the area... did they retire the Turbo Prop with the "bench" seat in the back row? used to love flying in that seat to SeaTac!
That would have been the Dash 8-200, which is long gone (10 years or more) from the AS fleet. You can still find them up in Alaska on 7H.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.