A Trip To Bhutan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Trip To Bhutan

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2018, 12:27 am

Programs: CX Gold, Krisflyer PPS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Great trip report and stunning pictures (as usual) - couple of years ago I did the Bhutan landing on a 737 simulator (not the fancy real one) and it was pretty cool
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Wow, DanielW, wow. I literally just watched Bourdain's trip to Bhutan, as I am sure others did, and was thinking I just want to see more and more of this amazing place.

Thank you so much for taking us along ^^
Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Thanks for sharing this great adventure in Bhutan. Bhutan has been on my bucket list for sometime, never get around to tick it off. Your TR pushes it up a notch!
Old Jun 27, 2018, 3:25 pm

Hi Daniel, Yunnan does some spicy food although not as much as Sichuan province.

We had lots of amazing trips up to around 2007 to China but haven't been back since. Did consider it for later this year but the prices of Visa's for UK citizens put us off. Hopefully they will come back down to the previous levels.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Another amazing trip report. 2 questions: how long was the hike to the monastery up the hill? and would the police allowed you to photograph the royal family after their visit to the temple?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by allset2travel
Thanks for sharing this great adventure in Bhutan. Bhutan has been on my bucket list for sometime, never get around to tick it off. Your TR pushes it up a notch!
Thank you, allset2travel. I had been wanting to visit Bhutan for a while too, but have been putting it off too. Glad I finally found an excuse to go though.
Originally Posted by Madone59
Wow, DanielW, wow. I literally just watched Bourdain's trip to Bhutan, as I am sure others did, and was thinking I just want to see more and more of this amazing place.
Thank you so much for taking us along ^^
Many thanks, Madone59:). I can just imagine Mr. Bourdain really enjoying himself in Bhutan, just the right mix of exotic culture and cuisine.
Originally Posted by sl00001
Great trip report and stunning pictures (as usual) - couple of years ago I did the Bhutan landing on a 737 simulator (not the fancy real one) and it was pretty cool
Thanks, sl00001. The high altitude and lots of hills must not leave too much room for error. I was half hoping there would be some fog and I would get to spend an extra day in the country too.
Originally Posted by flapland
Hi Daniel, Yunnan does some spicy food although not as much as Sichuan province.
We had lots of amazing trips up to around 2007 to China but haven't been back since. Did consider it for later this year but the prices of Visa's for UK citizens put us off. Hopefully they will come back down to the previous levels.
I've got a trip to Beijing coming up so will hopefully find some more spicy regional cuisine then.
Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
Another amazing trip report. 2 questions: how long was the hike to the monastery up the hill? and would the police allowed you to photograph the royal family after their visit to the temple?
Thanks, HawaiiTrvlr The hike up was fairly relaxed and about 90 minutes to get from the bottom to the monastery with plenty of photo stops. There are horses to take you up the first and most difficult half if you needed. We didn't get to see the Royal family unfortunately.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:21 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Another fantastic report from you. Thanks for sharing.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: Skymiles Plat/1MM, United Prem, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Loved this one, Daniel - I too am horribly jealous of another cool place visited.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 4:31 am

Nice

Nice pictures. I was in Bhutan in April. Though beautiful, after a week I was more than ready to leave.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nequine
Another fantastic report from you. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks, nequine. It was a great four day getaway from Dubai.
Originally Posted by lb8001
Loved this one, Daniel - I too am horribly jealous of another cool place visited.
Thank you, lb001. Definitely a place for your bucket list!
Originally Posted by CHSDOC
Nice pictures. I was in Bhutan in April. Though beautiful, after a week I was more than ready to leave.
Cheers, CHSDOC. I would have loved to spend a day or two more, but after a week I am guessing I would be a bit 'templed out' too.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Beautiful! How did the rest of the authentic Bhutan cuisine go - was it all very spicy? I thought that water wasn't good to drink during a spicy meal, but best to have after the meal. I love how every cuisine around the world has some type of spicy element. I haven't found Bhutan food in SF but there's Nepalese a mile from home and I only ate there 14 or so years ago! Eek.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
an amazing read as all your reports are.

You really are the world traveler.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gaobest
Beautiful! How did the rest of the authentic Bhutan cuisine go - was it all very spicy? I thought that water wasn't good to drink during a spicy meal, but best to have after the meal. I love how every cuisine around the world has some type of spicy element. I haven't found Bhutan food in SF but there's Nepalese a mile from home and I only ate there 14 or so years ago! Eek.
Thank you, gaobest. The Bhutanese food was pretty spicy, they are certainly not afraid of using plenty of chili's!
Originally Posted by enviroian
an amazing read as all your reports are.
You really are the world traveler.
Many thanks, enviroian. Can't wait until my next trip to Asia.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by DanielW
Many thanks, enviroian. Can't wait until my next trip to Asia.
You are welcome!

Also I think this is the first trip report you didn't leave Dubai at 3 AM
Old Jul 3, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
How does Mrs.DW allow you to go on these short vacation benders? Does she not get jealous?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.