Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Live TR: LAX-PTY the very long way

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2018, 12:41 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by madfish
Excellent. Thanks for sharing. Although you can keep the 44c heat at PHX.
I was wrong.

It was actually 48.3c heat - and it felt it!

Walking off the plane and onto the airbridge, was horrific!

Originally Posted by snabbu
I've also been lucky my last few runs have been delay free - after all those segments it really is quite nice to think back and realize how lucky you have been
Absolutely! That being said, part of me did hope for a misconnect somewhere, because it would have then forced AA to re-route me yet still offer me ORC!

Originally Posted by kajagoogoo88
Would be interested to hear cost v. yield in miles/tier points or whatever you earned as a result.
So the total cost of the LAX-PTY element was $1007. I earned 800 Tier Points, although could have earned 840 for the same money (but I couldn't make it work with my dates).

It therefore broke back to $1.19 / TP, or £0.93 / TP (which for BA/AA is pretty damn good!).

In terms of the mileage, it's a hard one to calculate. I credit to BA, and because of my status, I earn extra mileage; but I can work out the base figure if you'd like?

M
Old Jun 16, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Well, 800 tier is more than half way to gold - and for just over 1000 of either GBP or USD is pretty (amazingly) good going. More detail would be good - and also how it was all booked (whose website), all in one itinerary or in separate chunks. And, yes, the entire tier point and avios yield would be interesting. Don't mind copying if the yield is significant - chasing GGL this year.
Thanks.
K
Old Jun 17, 2018, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by kajagoogoo88
Well, 800 tier is more than half way to gold - and for just over 1000 of either GBP or USD is pretty (amazingly) good going. More detail would be good - and also how it was all booked (whose website), all in one itinerary or in separate chunks. And, yes, the entire tier point and avios yield would be interesting. Don't mind copying if the yield is significant - chasing GGL this year.
Thanks.
K
So the breakdown in 'BA speak', was:

800 TPs for £744. As a GGL/CCR, my Avios earn was 26,897.

I booked the trip with AA by phone, having used Matrix (with help from a fellow FTer) to put the itinerary together in the first place. The LAX-PTY run was booked under 1 single PNR (15 sectors).

M
Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I promise my mood will improve shortly, but while I'm whinging, I might as well adress the topic of warm water. I asked the cabin-crew for still water, and was served water so warm that I could have bathed, comfortably, with it. I wanted cold water, so asked the crew. The lady began berating me for not asking for 'Ice-Water'. I apologised, and asked her what she would call cold-water? She responded 'Water'. I began berating her in a similar manner, until she smiled and realised I wasn't from these parts!
M
I've tried many different ways to explain that I only want ice if the water is not room temperature or cooler. I've settled on "(still) water, no ice unless it is needed"

Originally Posted by wanderingjock
"I'm now on the ground at PHL, and was met by a CK chap which was really cool. He told me there were no showers at The Club, so I headed to The Centurion instead for my first shower in 32 hours..."

wow - As a hub I thought there would definitely be showers at PHL - is it temporary or are there just no showers there at all?
Originally Posted by rossmacd

There are no showers provided by AA at PHL at all.
It's temporary while they re-do their main lounge.

M
For what it's worth, they've not had showers to date, but part of adding a Flagship lounge is to add showers for the first time. I really do with they would add showers at PHX and CLT (airports where you often need a shower just from standing outside for a few moments), but neither airport (PHX in particular) has space at the moment to add them.

I was wrong.

It was actually 48.3c heat - and it felt it!

Walking off the plane and onto the airbridge, was horrific!
M
Hmmm, I don't think it's been that warm yet this year, with the warmest thus far being only 109F/43C.

Fortunately the airbridges at PHX have air conditioning, so it's usually just the shock for the five steps between the plane and the blast of air con.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dylanks
...Hmmm, I don't think it's been that warm yet this year, with the warmest thus far being only 109F/43C.

Fortunately the airbridges at PHX have air conditioning, so it's usually just the shock for the five steps between the plane and the blast of air con.
PHX, at the airport, was 119 Farenheit according to the Captain - but in Scottsdale (at least at the Hospital I went to visit), it was a balmy 110F according to my phone!

The airbridges may have had air-con, but compared to the freezing cold temperature onboard, it felt very warm as we disembarked

M
Old Jun 19, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Thanks for a very enjoyable TR to read!

Having been lucky to have pre-TSA security on one of our sectors, I wish the rest were like that!
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Global Entry
Great posts @msm2000uk thank you, enjoyed reading them for both wit and information

BTW the fighter on the apron about 13 flights back was an F/A-18 Hornet
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FeedbirdNiner
Great posts @msm2000uk thank you, enjoyed reading them for both wit and information

BTW the fighter on the apron about 13 flights back was an F/A-18 Hornet
Cheers!

I couldn't tell if the jet was real, or a model - it looked so out of place!

M
Old Jun 19, 2018, 8:34 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
So impressed you got so much CK treatment. I've only ever had it once in dozens and dozens of AA flights.
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Markie
So impressed you got so much CK treatment. I've only ever had it once in dozens and dozens of AA flights.
Well I am a British VIP after-all

I've probably jinxed myself from ever being offered it again, but it looks like if they offer it once on a trip, you'll get it a few times (Aslong as on the same PNR).

For over 85 AA flights since becoming GGL a few years ago I've been offered nothing from AA, yet on this trip i got lucky

M
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:58 pm

To give a little background to this trip, I started off in Stockholm, then flew to Helsinki, London, New York, and then Los Angeles.
Thanks for great trip report, how did you handle the above positioning as they look as though they will be far more expensive that the rest of the trip, did you find any way of getting a great deal on them? Did you return to Stockholm? or was that also a positioning from somewhere else?
Old Jun 20, 2018, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wytco0
Thanks for great trip report, how did you handle the above positioning as they look as though they will be far more expensive that the rest of the trip, did you find any way of getting a great deal on them? Did you return to Stockholm? or was that also a positioning from somewhere else?
The positioning flights were (LHR-ARN) ARN-HEL-LHR-JFK-LAX // LAX-PTY // LAX-SFO-JFK-LHR-MXP

I picked up a pretty decent fare to reach LAX, but my return was to MXP opposed to ARN.

M
Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wanderingjock
My draft schedule for Sept has a 32min connection at JAX - does this seem feasible ? Really enjoying the report!
Living in JAX I find it amusing that people make connections here.
msm2000uk and wanderingjock like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.